Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

Several activities at the Lido had to be cancelled today. So, instead they are having the boat building contest.

ecf2b921fa411ed7cfce33e5c9610372.jpg

c2370513b2cf3d72142cc45d14090e5c.jpg

8309fe91a354888d60811df41ff8ed77.jpg

050913819b8fae197839b7c2148253bc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not sure why this ship has a U.S. Flag when it is a HAL flag. Shouldn't it be Dutch? LOL.

bd2fc6bcf5d9fca4ece787823f70857a.jpg

Here is one team of boat builders. Along with describing their ship, they even sang a song and did a pretty good job IMO. Very inventive.

af8a138e520c17e9232040a110f3193f.jpg

all the boats passed the float test. Here they are on display.

c9ce74fbeb9eebbf130ca817031d9c0f.jpg

7fa1912bdf436c3a9583115b2cd340f5.jpg

Afterwards, our hula team worked with the passengers that are in "training". Their big show will be tomorrow.

A couple of very short videos (sorry, they are short - I did something wrong).

https://vimeo.com/164846729

https://vimeo.com/164846929

The same day as the Equator crossing ceremonies we had a Wines around the World Tasting. It was $15 per person but, pleasant surprise, it was free for the 4* and 5* Mariner's. I liked it better than the standard Navigator wine tasting which we normally get. How many times do you need to hear about legs, LOL?

Here is the listing of the wines that were available.

4022617de153d98f2e1df7b75b8ce66a.jpg

And some shots of the wine tasting. It was originally going to be at the mid Lido pool, but with the Equator crossing ceremony at the aft pool, they moved it to the Crow's Nest (guessing they didn't want two pools closed?)

9b1ab8c0cdeb0cc23d46a003ee6439ed.jpg

572653402181cda8fb4a03ef1d93bfea.jpg

8953e5b545f5f58cd298cf274d1c212b.jpg

d756f6255ec061a3d2ccb5e0f2d45bf8.jpg

Hi Kazu, I'm sorry to trouble you again with my question, but did you ever hear from others on your roll call as to whether Anton is still the cabin steward on deck 5, all the way aft? He works independently, and is extremely efficient and helpful.Thank you so much. I'm particularly enjoying your cruise review because we were on Westerdam ourselves for 4 weeks last year, and recognize many of the onboard team members:)

Hoi Moeder van Middelbare leeftijd; SA Anton left WEDM at the end of Feb and is not scheduled to rejoin until Oct

I would be thrilled to sail with this Captain! One of the small group of really good Captains who make HAL look good.

I know it comes down to personality and attitude (outgoing, conscientious, affable, professional), but HAL should clone this guy, or at least coming up with a training film on "How to be a HAL Captain".

Thanks for he great photos, Kazu!

You are absolutely right Silver, Captain Van Eerten is a gem :)

I booked this cruise because he told us he would be on last year.

In some ways, he is like Captain Gundersen - trying to get us to ports, repositioning the ship, changing the itinerary to try to get us good weather with safety first.

In other ways, he is very charismatic. His crew is very happy and I think he attracts good staff (or gets them).

It was HE who approached Seattle about compensation for this cruise. Very proactive and very caring about those on board.

He wants to give a 5* experience and makes that very clear.

He answers questions with grace and honesty.

He's a tremendous captain and if every HAl ship had one of him, life would indeed be very good on board.

Captain alert - he said at his question and answer period that he is being pushed to the Zaandam. Not sure when that is happening - I believe he is doing some training first and then going there. The Westerdam without him will not be the same but the Zaandam and those on board will be richer for the experience.

Anyone who has the pleasure to sail with him is very lucky indeed IMO.

I am delighted I have had two cruises with him.

I'm travelling on the Zaandam in March 2017 so I'll let you know if he's moved by then.

I can't remember his name but I had the same captain on the Prisendam twice. The first time we were in full code red for the 14 days and he was the epitome of grace under fire since several pax refused to follow the rules re restrictions. My daughter & I and just 12 others had a great shorex with him to Masada.

He was yanked out of retirement to do the Amazon Explorer cruise in 2013 because the

current captain required personal leave. It was a lovely and welcome surprise.

Shar

I'm travelling on the Zaandam in March 2017 so I'll let you know if he's moved by then.

I can't remember his name but I had the same captain on the Prisendam twice. The first time we were in full code red for the 14 days and he was the epitome of grace under fire since several pax refused to follow the rules re restrictions. My daughter & I and just 12 others had a great shorex with him to Masada.

He was yanked out of retirement to do the Amazon Explorer cruise in 2013 because the

current captain required personal leave. It was a lovely and welcome surprise.

Shar

That would be Captain Gundersen (Gunderson? I always fear I mis spell his name) Shar. We had Noro on a ship with him once too and he made it clear he was not going to permit Noro on the ship on the TA portion - LOL - and people better follow the rules. He is/was a great captain IMO.

NO BINGO!!!

Ok, this is what happens when you get into cruise mode and get so used to the routine that you don't bother to check the On Location.

I trundled down to the Vista Lounge at the usual time and there was NO Bingo!!! Of course, for once, I didn't have my On Location with me. Back to the room I go to check and it's not listed. Red faced indeed when DH said how come you're back so early?

The good thing was that freed us up for Happy Hour. LOL

Last night was our last Gala Night. DH and I both had the surf and turf. Our waiters removed the lobster from the shells for us and the filet and lobster were quite good. I was impressed. DH agreed. I saw a LOT of people getting seconds. The escargot were pretty yummy too :)

And some good news for us - the table next to ours (a 4 top by the window) will be free in San Diego as our next door dining companions are getting off. We have some CC friends who ended up with any time dining and usually do late, so I asked Stephanie if we could possibly have that table for the rest of the cruise and we would ask them to join us.

She told us tonight that the table was ours. We keep our same great waiters (otherwise I wouldn't have asked).

Just for a few days of course, but it will be nice to have the flexibility. :)

Day before disembarkation today and we have a farewell suite luncheon. A nice touch I think. Will be interesting to see what is offered this time.

Pinnacle Grill booked for tonight with pre-cruise drinks and munchies planned with friends.

You are absolutely right Silver, Captain Van Eerten is a gem :)

I booked this cruise because he told us he would be on last year.

In some ways, he is like Captain Gundersen - trying to get us to ports, repositioning the ship, changing the itinerary to try to get us good weather with safety first.

In other ways, he is very charismatic. His crew is very happy and I think he attracts good staff (or gets them).

It was HE who approached Seattle about compensation for this cruise. Very proactive and very caring about those on board.

He wants to give a 5* experience and makes that very clear.

He answers questions with grace and honesty.

He's a tremendous captain and if every HAl ship had one of him, life would indeed be very good on board.

Captain alert - he said at his question and answer period that he is being pushed to the Zaandam. Not sure when that is happening - I believe he is doing some training first and then going there. The Westerdam without him will not be the same but the Zaandam and those on board will be richer for the experience.

Anyone who has the pleasure to sail with him is very lucky indeed IMO.

I am delighted I have had two cruises with him.

Darn, I was hoping your Captain would be our Captain for our Oct 2 Westerdam cruise. Thanks for keeping us updated!! :)

I can hardly wait to see how disembarkation of some passengers and embarkation of new passengers go in San Diego.

I'll be shocked if it goes smoothly, given how disembarkation in San Diego is usually a gong show. It's too bad the web cam there isn't very good! Could be interesting to watch.

That would be Captain Gundersen (Gunderson? I always fear I mis spell his name) Shar. We had Noro on a ship with him once too and he made it clear he was not going to permit Noro on the ship on the TA portion - LOL - and people better follow the rules. He is/was a great captain IMO.

Gundersen it is, first of Halle Thon, Norwegian; retired for three years already and came with "his" ship - Royal Viking Sun - when she joined HAL as PRDM in April 2002,

Enjoy the remainder of your voyage and please give my regards to WEDM's S/O Terry, my mentor and trainer back in Nov 2010 ;)

Perhaps I misheard, but what I got from the Captain's talk was that he was now on for three months (April-June), then has three months off, another three months on Westie and three months off, and then would start on the Zaandam.

I'm feeling miserable today, DH brought me some cheese and crackers for lunch. I developed a really sore throat during the night and I feel like I have swollen glands in my throat. I hope it's just the start of a cold and not some mysterious tropical disease. Anyway, I have decided to be very selfish and not share, so we have cancelled the Pinnacle for tonight. We'll be so sorry to miss it!

I guess tomorrow I will just have to be better so we can go ashore in San Diego. And clear Customs and Immigration......

Pardon getting off topic here and hopefully Copper can chime in again. If I read Victoriann's post right Captain Van Eerten could be making his Zaandam debut early April in Valparaiso. That would be awesome. Having Turner for the first leg would also be wonderful.

If I may, a question for Copper. In his thread on the Zaandam StPeteCruiser mentioned that Turner had served on the Prinsendam. I started following HAL about 2011 when Captains Albert and Gundersen were fixtures on the ship and I know the captains since then. Do you have an idea when Captain Turner served on the Prinsendam and was it as Captain or Staff Captain at the time.

Vict0riann, wishing you a speedy recovery and stress free day in San Diego.

Roy

Now that I have slept the morning away, and had my cheese and crackers, I'm feeling better.

We had our "Seafood Extravaganza " yesterday. It was well done, and actually better than one we had on Maasdam, which was a madhouse in the MDR - people must have been starving! This one was in the Lido, using two sections where salad was ordinarily served. The servers went fairly quickly, so the lines weren't bad, and with the servers doing it, the portions were good, without going overboard (pardon the pun).

Tapatalk doesn't seem to want to post my photos, so I'll try again a little later.

I'll be shocked if it goes smoothly, given how disembarkation in San Diego is usually a gong show. It's too bad the web cam there isn't very good! Could be interesting to watch.

Since 2008 it has not been good for us -- either embarking or waiting to just spend the day down at Seaport Village.