Tipping

HikingPete

We normally tip the room steward extra at the end of the cruise, assuming everything has been OK and sometimes we tip for room service breakfast. We normally have freedom dining and have not yet found a suitable way to give extra to the waiters, however on P&O we don't think the MDR service really warrants any extra.

HikingPete....I realise this is only your 3rd post, but suggest you use the search facility please to find your answers. There are LOADS of threads and postsabout tipping, some quite heated discussions!

Tipping is the most controversial topic on this forum. Some do some don't, some keep auto tips on and tip separately on top, some take auto tips off and tip separately, some just leave them on and don't tip extra, some skinflints take the tips off and don't tip at all.

I have my own views which I choose not to share, so suggest you do whatever you want and what ever squares your own conscience ;)

Edited by Mysticalmother

HikingPete....I realise this is only your 3rd post, but suggest you use the search facility please to find your answers. There are LOADS of threads and postsabout tipping, some quite heated discussions!

Tipping is the most controversial topic on this forum. Some do some don't, some keep auto tips on and tip separately on top, some take auto tips off and tip separately, some just leave them on and don't tip extra, some skinflints take the tips off and don't tip at all.

I have my own views which I choose not to share, so suggest you do whatever you want and what ever squares your own conscience ;)

Thank you, tipping threads are more depressing than the news [emoji24]

We always tip extra for the room steward and well as our waiter and the assistant waiter. However I am from the US.

These people work so hard and if you can afford it why not since they make so little. If you can afford to cruise you can afford to tip.

I wish that the cruise lines would all agree to include tips in the cost of the cruise and pay a decent level of pay to their crew. I agree with the poster who said that if you can afford to cruise you can afford the tips. There are too many people who say that they are going to remove the tips because they don't believe in tipping or it is not part of our culture or use the excuse that don't get tips in their work. I understand that some people like to tip individually but I am sure that most of these people would rather that all passengers paid the tips rather than some people being allowed to opt out for whatever weak excuse they chose to quote. We have so many of these discussions on this forum and we all seem to have a different view.

We personally tip separately as we find it more personal that way although don't limit that to just the steward/ess and waiters we do it for anyone who's made our trip special or been apart of it. Whilst we do believe the whole crew do a play a part in that we are anti the automatic tips as we always feel fairly cautious that the operator takes their share. Some also hold the opinion that whilst you pay the automatic charge the crew do still expect something more...

Cruise companies such as Fred Olsen do offer 'tips and tipples' as part of their package.

Overall no matter what anyone says tipping is at your own discretion and privacy

I wish that the cruise lines would all agree to include tips in the cost of the cruise and pay a decent level of pay to their crew. I agree with the poster who said that if you can afford to cruise you can afford the tips. There are too many people who say that they are going to remove the tips because they don't believe in tipping or it is not part of our culture or use the excuse that don't get tips in their work. I understand that some people like to tip individually but I am sure that most of these people would rather that all passengers paid the tips rather than some people being allowed to opt out for whatever weak excuse they chose to quote. We have so many of these discussions on this forum and we all seem to have a different view.

Totally agree. If they added to the cruise price everyone would know their outlay from the start. I bet that most people who say they remove the tips and tip individually actually don't in the end.

Totally agree. If they added to the cruise price everyone would know their outlay from the start. I bet that most people who say they remove the tips and tip individually actually don't in the end.

Well we do, as do others who post on here.

At least, we say we do:D.

Just interested to know different peoples opinions... Do you tip in addition to the service charge, and if so, when and how much?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

If so probably on th last night.

How much varies depending on service and how much extra we required.

As there are so many comments on this subject I will just add that I know for a fact that on Princess if you take the auto tip off employees have to hand any tips they are given in, everyone knows who takes their tips off, there are lists, it is a Carnival procedure and I know the same on Cunard so as P&O are also CarnivaI imagine it would be the same. As Australians always take their tips off Princess adjust the cruise prices on the Australian ships to compensate

I remember on Azura someone who was in a full suite bragging he always took his tips off as he'd paid a lot of money already, makes my blood boil

I have asked our cabin steward but he said it was company policy not to discuss it so I asked at reception and she confirmed the policy, I will ask on Britannia.

I remember on Azura someone who was in a full suite bragging he always took his tips off as he'd paid a lot of money already, makes my blood boil

Why should it make your blood boil ? Is it really any of your business ?

Gratuities/Tips are discretionary not mandatory, so removing them is the right thing. It shouldn't be there in the first place, call a spade a spade.

The sooner everyone adopts this approach the better. Just remember it is the Cruise Companies that are stiffing their employees NOT the passengers - no one should be reliant on tips for a living wage.

Edited by jody75

Why should it make your blood boil ? Is it really any of your business ?

Gratuities/Tips are discretionary not mandatory, so removing them is the right thing. It shouldn't be there in the first place, call a spade a spade.

The sooner everyone adopts this approach the better. Just remember it is the Cruise Companies that are stiffing their employees NOT the passengers - no one should be reliant on tips for a living wage.

..now you all know why I suggested we put this thread to bed early ......

Edited by Mysticalmother