How much and what to do first day in Rome?

cruisegal415

We will be arriving in Rome (first visit ever!) at 9:45 am Rome time (3:45 am our time) on a Monday in June. Our ship leaves Thursday so we will have all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday morning for sightseeing.

I have read these boards and there are two trains of thought--take a short nap the first day, then explore at night, or don't nap, push through, and go to sleep early, and you'll be good to go the next day.

Would appreciate your thoughts on these two approaches.

If we go with the don't nap, push through, what are your recommendations for the first day? I've read not to schedule anything strenuous like the Colosseum and the Forum. We already have a tour scheduled for Weds. for the Vatican, St. Peter's and that area.

Should we do the HOHO on Monday, and self-see the sights? Should we arrange a private walking tour for the first day? We will be able to leave our luggage with the hotel when we arrive from the airport, I'm guessing, we will get there sometime before noon?

We wanted to do one evening tour, either a food tour, or the fountains by night, I'm thinking we should not schedule that for the first night?

Our TA suggested the Borghese gallery, is that something we should do the first day?

With only three and a half days in Rome, and planning on doing the Colosseum, Forum, Vatican, St. Peters the second and third days, what would you suggest for the first day?

Thanks in advance.

I am a believer to get right on the new time zone. I have traveled extensively in my work career and also we travel often for pleasure now.

On the plane drink a lot of water. Avoid alcohol or limit it to a minimum. Get some sleep.

I find that sunlight and fresh air helps us a lot so once we get checked into the hotel, we go out and about. We don't plan any organized tours. So for example in Rome we might get over to the ancient city where we are outside or visit other areas that we mainly view on our own and from outside.

We will get to sleep earlier then normal but say by 8:30 or 9:00 PM as we transition to the new time zone and then get up the next day as we normally would for breakfast and then a full day in the city.

Each person is different but this approach works so very well for us.

Was just in London three weeks ago and did the same thing as we have done when our trip began in Rome as yours does.

Keith

We have been fans of the the, as you put it, "push through" method for the last 15 plus years, with at least 15 major time change trips in that period. It has worked very well for us...staying up at least until 9pm that first night seems to work very well for us.

I wouldn't push for anything challenging. We walk a lot (Rome provides tons of walking)...If the new location has lots of people watching, (as Rome does)we do it. If sunset is late, all the better. I remember one of the first times we tried it was in Germany, staying on the Rhine. We walked until about 8pm. Total evening darkness wan't until just after 9pm, so we set on a bench along the Rhine, people watching, and checking out all the boat traffic- which is a lot.

The key we found was staying out of the hotel room until after 9pm.

I'm another believer in powering through the first day and getting right onto your new time zone. Try to sleep a bit on the plane if you can. Even a couple hours helps.

I also agree with Keith that walking around outside on your first day is generally helpful.

Because you arrive on a Monday, a lot of museums are closed. The Colosseum and Forum are open, though. Unless you think you will really be basket cases, it might be good to do them on the first day.

I'm not a big fan of the HOHO buses in Rome, but some like them for orientation. For me, they are very crowded, don't move very fast, and don't tend to come back around often, should you get off and want to get back on. In addition, I don't find they orient me very much as they can't go through a lot of the pedestrian-only areas -- thus you end up thinking that things are farther apart than they really are!

To get to the point, I think you'd be better off looking at a book like Rick Steves' Rome, where he has several suggested walking tours, and perhaps do one of those if it appeals to you.

The Borghese Museum is great (I've done it twice) but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for the first thing seen by first-time Rome visitors. It can wait for another visit. ;) (Just my two cents....)

I am another who found the HoHo busses not very useable in Rome for the same reasons as given by the poster above.

We are of the stay awake school of thought. We leave the bags at the hotel, go to a few sightseeing places, have an early dinner and are in bed by seven or so. By the next morning we are all adjusted and ready to roll.

I agree with the others. Drop your bags at the hotel and then get out and walk around, get sunlight. Have lunch outside somewhere (should be easy in June). Try to avoid napping, and get yourself on local time as soon as you can.

I don't know where you are staying, but if it's in the Centro Storico, you can have a wonderful afternoon walking around and exploring the streets. It would be a good day to visit the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona, for example. Go into Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. Things like that. Do pick up Rick Steves Rome book, and you'll be able to plan things out for yourself.

I would not book a tour for the first night. If you are like most folks, you'll be pretty wiped out by then.

Have a wonderful trip!

We're not usually in such unanimous agreement, but I too opt for being outdoors in the sunlight to help with the adaptation. I would not do the HOHO bus for several reasons but especially not because sitting and being driven around would lull me right to sleep.

OK. Let me be the lone wolf:

I'm from the school of "take a 30 minute power nap sometime between 3pm and 5pm". It's served me well in my 20 years of travel through Europe.

I DO spend as much time as I can that first day out in the open air. In Rome, I get from whatever hotel I'm staying at down to the Centro Storico. I aimlessly wander around familiar surroundings - the piazza around the Pantheon, my favorite church (the Santa Maria Sopra Minerva - do NOT be put off by it's plain exterior!!!), grab the first of many granita at Tazza d'Oro, things like that. I'll stop by the pharmacy or Sephora to pick up the toiletries I'll need/want for my trip (but didn't want to pack because I didn't want to do the 3-1-1 nonsense), I'll head back to the hotel, grab my nap, shower, and then head out for the night (my first night is always dinner at Armando al Pantheon). Home to the hotel around midnight. I'm good to go the next day.

Sounds good to me. I have Rick Steve's book(s) and he does do a good job of describing self tours. Interesting information on the HOHO in Rome. We are staying in the Spanish Step area and my TA assures me this is centrally located to where we can walk around to many things.

Sounds like the best thing is to orient ourselves to the city, maybe self tour, see sights, and leave the organized tours for Tuesday and Weds.

The Borghese Museum is great (I've done it twice) but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for the first thing seen by first-time Rome visitors. It can wait for another visit. ;) (Just my two cents....)

I was thinking that also. Plus, it would be better to be outside than in a museum the first afternoon. Not sure the Borghese would be on my list of must see things for our first trip.

What would you recommend for the first afternoon?

We will be arriving in Rome (first visit ever!) at 9:45 am Rome time (3:45 am our time) on a Monday in June. Our ship leaves Thursday so we will have all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday morning for sightseeing.

I have read these boards and there are two trains of thought--take a short nap the first day, then explore at night, or don't nap, push through, and go to sleep early, and you'll be good to go the next day.

Would appreciate your thoughts on these two approaches.

If we go with the don't nap, push through, what are your recommendations for the first day? I've read not to schedule anything strenuous like the Colosseum and the Forum. We already have a tour scheduled for Weds. for the Vatican, St. Peter's and that area.

Should we do the HOHO on Monday, and self-see the sights? Should we arrange a private walking tour for the first day? We will be able to leave our luggage with the hotel when we arrive from the airport, I'm guessing, we will get there sometime before noon?

We wanted to do one evening tour, either a food tour, or the fountains by night, I'm thinking we should not schedule that for the first night?

Our TA suggested the Borghese gallery, is that something we should do the first day?

With only three and a half days in Rome, and planning on doing the Colosseum, Forum, Vatican, St. Peters the second and third days, what would you suggest for the first day?

Thanks in advance.

Borghese is wonderful!!!

Borghese is wonderful!!!

Yes, it's wonderful, absolutely....as are about 20 other things in Rome (at a minimum).

But my point is that for the first time visitor, on their very first day, I'm not sure it's what I would recommend as an introduction to Rome.

Cruisegal415: If you're up to it, I'd recommend the Forum and Colosseum. Both are done via a single ticket -- and the Forum is where it all began in terms of Rome.

If you want an easier day, look for Rick Steve's walk that takes in the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. It's a pleasant walk and there are many chances along the way to stop for a gelato, a coffee, a glass of wine, or whatever and just soak it all in.

Edited by cruisemom42

If you want an easier day, look for Rick Steve's walk that takes in the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. It's a pleasant walk and there are many chances along the way to stop for a gelato, a coffee, a glass of wine, or whatever and just soak it all in.

Actually found a "Best of Rome" walking tour with Dark Rome for the first afternoon including the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, and Piazza Navona. I know we could do it on our own, but DH is a nervous Nellie and prefers to be hand held through new places. :D

Edited by cruisegal415

Actually found a "Best of Rome" walking tour with Dark Rome for the first afternoon including the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, and Piazza Navona. I know we could do it on our own, but DH is a nervous Nellie and prefers to be hand held through new places. :D

I came across this company's website and am looking at this tour too. Were you able to find any feedback on CC for this tour company and specific tour? I am not sure whether the group size of 20 is a good or bad thing. I have mixed feelings about venturing out on our own and like the idea of someone guiding and educating us as we walk from place to place.

I as also looking at the full day colosseum tour and best of Rome tour, thinking that would cover much of what we want to see in a day. Would appreciate feedback on that option.

I came across this company's website and am looking at this tour too. Were you able to find any feedback on CC for this tour company and specific tour? I am not sure whether the group size of 20 is a good or bad thing. I have mixed feelings about venturing out on our own and like the idea of someone guiding and educating us as we walk from place to place.

I as also looking at the full day colosseum tour and best of Rome tour' date=' thinking that would cover much of what we want to see in a day. Would appreciate feedback on that option.[/quote']

Haven't looked at CC for feedback, but they are highly rated on Trip Advisor, and someone on our roll call highly recommended them as they used them previously. Also, my TA had booked several tours with them, they also use City Wonders as their name.

So here's what I'm looking at now. Rome in Limo, which comes highly recommended on this site, has a deal where they pick you up from the airport and does a four hour Intro to Rome sightseeing tour. Then, they also offer a walking tour in the "evening" which can be booked early afternoon, that is called Squares and Fountains, and is similar to the Dark Rome walking tour I had found. I emailed them to ask if these two tours are complementary or duplicative, and I'll let you know what they say. I'm thinking this may be a good good first day in Rome solution.

So here's what I'm looking at now. Rome in Limo, which comes highly recommended on this site, has a deal where they pick you up from the airport and does a four hour Intro to Rome sightseeing tour. Then, they also offer a walking tour in the "evening" which can be booked early afternoon, that is called Squares and Fountains, and is similar to the Dark Rome walking tour I had found. I emailed them to ask if these two tours are complementary or duplicative, and I'll let you know what they say. I'm thinking this may be a good good first day in Rome solution.

I'm a fan of powering through the first day. I would recommend what previous posters suggested. I'd go to the hotel, drop of you bags and walk the city. Sun and fresh air are key. I'd have an early lunch and dinner at outdoor cafes. Great place to people watch and enjoy the outdoors with an adult beverage. The car tour in my opinion isn't a good option for the first day. Just my .02.

The more research I do, the more alternatives I find. Looking through the CC boards, I found these three tour companies highly recommended: Dark Rome, Rome in Limo and Walks of Italy. They all offer similar tours. Which do you think sound best, those of you who know Rome? These are all walking tours for the first day we get here.

We arrive 9:45 am at FCO. I'm assuming we'll get to the hotel somewhere around noonish?

• 3:30 pm: Best of Rome Walking Tour with Dark Rome. $88.86 for two people. They say the group is no more than 25 people. 3 hours, ends at 6:30. Includes: The Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Colonna, Palazzo Montecitorio, Pantheon, Palazzo Madama (Senate of the Italian Republic), Piazza Navona – Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, Campo de' Fiori OR

• Squares and Fountains Evening Tour with Rome in Limo for €180. 3 hours. Spanish steps and the Trevi faountain, the piazza Navona and the Pantheon where you can have one best Gelato in Rome, St Peter’s square and Basilica, and Trastevere. I think this one is a private tour for just the two of us, it can start whenever. OR

• 5:00 pm 2 ½ hour walking tour with Walks in Italy €35.10 per person. 12-15 people. Go to Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona and Bernini’s Fountain of the Four Rivers.

Now to complicate things even more, Rome in Limo offers a four hour sightseeing tour including pickup from the airport and transfer to the hotel for €300 total. Their private tour includes "Starting at the National Monument of Vittorio Emanuele II in Piazza Venezia. You will continue on to the splendorous of Ancient Rome, which include the vicinity of the Roman and Imperial Forums, the Coliseum, the Capital and the Circus Maximus, and the glorious Pantheon. A walk through the famed Piazza Navona, passing by the Spanish Steps, before throwing your coins into the Trevi Fountain to conclude your tour before heading to your hotel."

Would it be overkill to do this, then do one of the walking tours?

Again, I know we can just get a transfer to the hotel and do the rest on our own, but DH prefers a guided tour. He is a nervous traveler especially in places he's never been. We are a middle age couple, walking tours are fine for us, but we'll have just flown in from the US and will be "pushing through" our first day.

If cost is the driving force, then the choice is obvious. However, personally, I think you will get more out of the private tour.

Doing a tour is great. But it is very easy to wonder Rome on your own. Certainly not a difficult task.

Is the RIL tour a driving tour or walking tour? Frankly, I'd prefer the walking tour (not even taking cost into consideration), and I'd probably prefer the earlier afternoon one. (Dark Rome) just to keep you going.

Rome is very safe and very easy to get around; hopefully after you get your bearings you'll feel more comfortable walking around, as Rome is truly a city best seen by wandering on foot.

I'm a female traveler, often solo, and have no hesitations walking around Rome, even in the evenings -- when it seems all the city is out after dinner doing their night-time "passeggio"!

Is the RIL tour a driving tour or walking tour? Frankly, I'd prefer the walking tour (not even taking cost into consideration), and I'd probably prefer the earlier afternoon one. (Dark Rome) just to keep you going.

Rome is very safe and very easy to get around; hopefully after you get your bearings you'll feel more comfortable walking around, as Rome is truly a city best seen by wandering on foot.

I'm a female traveler, often solo, and have no hesitations walking around Rome, even in the evenings -- when it seems all the city is out after dinner doing their night-time "passeggio"!

I'm with cruisemom42 on this one again. I also travel as an older solo woman. I have never felt unsafe nor hesitated to walk around Rome. I love walking around at night - I've even walked from the Pantheon, up the Spanish Steps (or up Via del Tritone) to get to my hotel on Via Veneto around midnight... Rome is a great city to walk around in - don't limit yourself to a tour in a minibus!!! The fresh air will keep you invigorated!

Cruise gal, it seems like you're determined to spend money and go the way of a private tour company. If so, your loss financially and experience. As many others before me have tried to say, half the fun of Rome is doing it in your own. I love getting lost and wandering and discovering the city on foot. Best way to enjoy Rome ... And stay awake the first day.

Edited by Tommy3putts

Cruise gal, it seems like you're determined to spend money and go the way of a private tour company. If so, your loss financially and experience. As many others before me have tried to say, half the fun of Rome is doing it in your own. I love getting lost and wandering and discovering the city on foot. Best way to enjoy Rome ... And stay awake the first day.

I certainly can see how you'd feel that way. I'm guessing you've traveled much more than we have. This is our first trip to Europe, and as I may have said in this thread (not sure, I know I've said it on these boards before), my DH is not a "zen" traveler. To the contrary, he is a nervous Nellie, who gets very anxious when we travel. I would love to just wander around, explore and get lost, but he gets very nervous without a plan. So I'm trying to nail everything down beforehand and the more organized we are, the less he has to stress about.

The point of my question was to figure out which of the places that these different tour companies go to would be "best" to see the first day. He likes the idea of being picked up at the airport, and driven around to see some of the sites first thing, then taking a guided walking tour in the afternoon to get us acclimated to the city. I just am not sure whether these two tours are duplicative, or complimentary, and which of the walking tours goes to the places that are the "best" to see the first day.

Sorry, probably came out wrong. The point I in-artfully made was that ultimately is it's your choice whether to use the advice you seek. There are two types of travelers--planners and non planners. I'm the latter. If having detailed itineraries is required for your vacation. Go for it. Just don't over think it. Hope you have a great cruise!!

Edited by Tommy3putts