Saving of lounge chairs

I saw in a different thread that saving lounge chairs is not permitted, but that many people put their towels/stuff out to save them anyway and that RC staff does not interfere. I also saw the suggestion that if there is gear on an unoccupied chair, just to move it aside and take the chair. Has anyone ever witnessed this creating a confrontation? I can't imagine this NOT creating problems!!

I am not a sunbather so I don't think this will apply to me, but I am curious!

I saw in a different thread that saving lounge chairs is not permitted, but that many people put their towels/stuff out to save them anyway and that RC staff does not interfere. I also saw the suggestion that if there is gear on an unoccupied chair, just to move it aside and take the chair. Has anyone ever witnessed this creating a confrontation? I can't imagine this NOT creating problems!!

Such a non-issue. If you can't find a chair, ask one of the pool attendants. If they can't find you one, they will remove items for you.

We were on the Oasis last September. We were in the Solarium and there were no chairs available. A couple told us that we could take the chair next to them because the stuff was left on the chair, and they haven't seen them in two hours. We moved the stuff aside, and just then a woman with a European accent started screaming at us NO, NO, NO. The guy next to us yelled at her that she can't reserve chairs and that we should call security. We just got our stuff and left. We watched as the woman grabbed her stuff, put it on the chair, and then left it

Just yell back. Lol

Seriously, though, sounds like talking to an attendant is the way to go. That way, if someone gets yelled at, you can plead ignorance. Dunno why people feel the need to reserve chairs for hours on end without ever using them. It's the same way at water parks.

Just yell back. Lol

Seriously, though, sounds like talking to an attendant is the way to go. That way, if someone gets yelled at, you can plead ignorance. Dunno why people feel the need to reserve chairs for hours on end without ever using them. It's the same way at water parks.

Don't you know "they" paid for their vacation and they are entitled to that chair. Forgetting the fact that EVERYONE paid for their vacation.:rolleyes:

The self-serving behavior just disgusts me. I'm sure that there are plenty on CC who save chairs, but will never, ever admit it and they think they're "smarter" than those of us that follow the rules and think of our fellow man.

We saw attendants putting stickers on chairs on Vision. One group had a couple of their group nearby and as soon as the attendants left, they removed the stickers. The defensiveness and posessiveness of those breaking the rules is beyond rude. Some think if they are loud, that others will back down.

Edited by BND

If there are available loungers that will suit your purpose...take it. If there are NO loungers..feel free to sit in a towel occupied chair.....

Honestly..folks spend too much time worrying about chair hogs.....unless there are NO loungers....take an empty one, and don't worry about it!

Funny story....

My group went down to get loungers at 8:30 am on a sea day ( Vision) There were 6 of us. We love the morning sun. ( we were all present!) . The pool area was already all reserved with towels , shoes, etc.

A women was sitting beside 6 folded over lounges , we asked if we could sit and she ubruptly said - what are you blind? These are taken! ( there was one flip flop on each chair hidden as the top of the lounger was turned over.

I am non confrontational , and was still half asleep, so we just laughed and moved on.

There wasn't a chair to be found in the pool area. We sat behind the pool wall ( close to the glass wall) . It was fine for us.

She got up, and left towels all over her stuff. 9:00. 10:00, 11:00!!!! Still she did not return! So many people were looking at them, but not person moved her stuff. Finally, a mom with 3 small kids in tow, and a husband with 2 coffees flagged down an attendant who put yellow post it on the chairs ( and others that were still not occupied. ) After 20 mins, they were able to get the chairs. At about noon, the woman returns with 6 young girls ( spring breakers perhaps) APPALLED that people were sitting her chairs. She was yelling at them. They just ignored her. She was so upset. She paced around the pool area but all the chairs were taken, most people actually sitting in them now as it was a glorious sunny day.

So, yes, there are attendants who will help out, and yes, Karma does exist!

When we were on Oasis in January, we noticed a few people who would claim two sets of chairs...one in the sun and the other in the shade. They'd put a towel and suntan lotion or something on the ones they weren't using. When people are walking around looking for chairs, this shouldn't be allowed.

We watched one day as a woman removed the towel from a chair in the shade and sat down on it. The "owner" of the chair came running over telling the woman to get out.. it was her chair. Naturally, the woman got up and left but as she walked past us, she told us she'd been watching that chair for over an hour and nobody had sat in it. The "owner" went back to her chair in the sun after claiming her chair back. I really don't think this should be allowed when it's busy like it was that day. :(

Let the pool people handle it because the last thing you need is a fight over a chair.

Yikes! I don't go out to be confrontational. If someone was to pull that with me and I knew for a fact they were just holding the chair/lounger to use for some other time, you bet they wouldn't be happy they came across me. I can't stand disrespectful people and I will stand up for myself in situations like this. What is up with these self entitled jerks? I wish more people would do the same so it would send a message that you just can't treat others like that.

I try to treat others as I would want them to treat me.

When we were on Oasis in January, we noticed a few people who would claim two sets of chairs...one in the sun and the other in the shade. They'd put a towel and suntan lotion or something on the ones they weren't using. When people are walking around looking for chairs, this shouldn't be allowed.

We've seen that before in the Solarium on Grandeur. Who raised these people?

Of course, these are the same people who believe in "finders keepers" and other absurd ideas. I would love for one of the CC members who see no problem with reserving chairs come on here and explain their mindset, but of course, they never will.

Edited by BND

Last year on the Jewel, I looked all over for an empty chair. Mind you, I don't even have to be by the pool, I just wanted a chair. Finally I saw a woman get up so I asked her if she was leaving. She told me yes, but she MIGHT be back and her husband was on the next chair. I told her that she could keep her husband I only wanted the chair. She got so angry so sat back down and then got up 10 minutes later never to return!

The longest I have ever left a chair, other then going in the pool or getting a drink at the pool, is maybe 20 minutes. Run to WJ to get a plate to bring back to chair. If I'm going to be longer - bye chair, be good to the next person that sits on you!!

So what exactly are the rules regarding the chairs? We've never cruised before, but will be on the Allure in less than a week.

It's really simple. Use common sense. If you want to spend time on the pool deck, great. Pick out a chair and enjoy yourself. Leave the chair to take a swim? Fine! Go spend a little time at the pool bar? Awesome!

Get up at 6am and put a paperback, a towel and a flip flop on a chair you want to use at 11am? Your a D-bag!

So what exactly are the rules regarding the chairs? We've never cruised before, but will be on the Allure in less than a week.

There will usually be a sign nearby with the limit of time that chairs can be unoccupied.

Chair Hogs? I thought the cruise line put those items out for the guests to enjoy. It's so nice of them to place a dry towel, along with a paperback or magazine for me to enjoy while I'm using the lounger. Sometimes they'll even provide a flip flop, and a matching pair if I use two loungers. On one cruise, they were even providing complimentary sunglasses in the sunny areas. :D

Seriously though, complaining about chair hogs here does little good, BUT complaining about chair hogs to the pool supervisor or hotel supervisor while on the ship and on your post cruise evaluation will have more effect. It's up to the cruise line to enforce their rules, not the PAX.

Just posted in another thread that we just got off Freedom and deck patrol did remove items from all 'saved' chairs on first sea day. Of course, people quickly moved into newly 'open' chairs. I'm sure some people returned to 'their' chairs and tried to reclaim from new occupants but didn't see any passenger arguments myself. A couple argued with deck patrol but most just reclaimed possessions and moved on. I think this needs to be done more often. Just way too much abuse and 'entitlement' behavior as mentioned (i.e. saving chairs for sun/shade, saving an extra chair just for your 'stuff', leaving for hours, saving for people/kids who never even use them, the list goes on)

Way too many people have an innate sense of entitlement instead of a sense of being a good citizen. Unfortunately we have raised a couple of generations of kids who have been catered to their entire lives, told "Good Job" for every little thing they do, told everybody is a winner and gets a trophy, and had mom and dad to bail them out of whatever trouble they get into. We are reaping the fruits of our labors - or lack thereof.

Maybe a series of Goofus and Gallant cartoons in the Cruise Compass would help.:D

We were on the Oasis last week and there were signs stating it was not allowed however on sea days the chairs were not available past about 7ish. I never saw any pool attendant other than a lifeguard in the kiddy area and the guys handing out the towels at their stations. But I did remove a couple towels when we wanted a chair. I did not remove any gear though. There are lots of chairs away from the pools available at all times though and honestly the pools are so crowded most of the time as to be unappealing to me so it wasn't a really big deal.

On a port day however there was no chair saving going on, pools and chairs are available all day.

There are lots of threads if you really want to find them. As for confontations, I had one that was close to violence, then it was avoided only because of a wife speaking up. Others have heard this story, I apologize for those reading it again, but for the OP. The solarium on Navigator is laid out in such a manner that it looks the same on one side as the other. We were in our chairs around 2 hours when a guy came up and said we were in his chair and what did we do with his stuff. He also said he was gone only 45 minutes. When I told him he was mistaken as had been there 2 hours his tone got very agressive to the point I was sizing him up and thinking, ok if this escalates, he is swimming to shore or being carried to the infirmary. My wife was looking for security or a crew member when suddenly his wife piped up and said, "Over here" He had walked out of one side of the solarium and returned from the other way and come to the wrong seat.

I'm surprised that RCI hasn't seized the opportunity to generate more revenue by pre-renting/reserving those chairs to those passengers who want their own lounge chair for the entire length of the cruise.....whether they use it or not. ;)

The actually did experiment for a short time with cabanas on the pool deck of one of the ships, I think Freedom. Didn't last long.

On my last cruise, last week, I sat in at least 3 chairs that were reserved with only a towel. Never an issue. I just move it. The chairs were not anywhere the pool, and it was only a blue towel.

However on a previous cruise, I did have someone ask me if I moved their towel. All I said, was I don't know, been sitting there for over an hour, and did not see any names on this chair? I just pointed to the sign, and said please read.

They huffed away, but I wasn't the only one that piled towels up on another chair. I'm not really sure how they know it was their chair, and not some of the others that were taken?