Reformed alcohol smuggler seeks methods to drink cheaply

My name is Jayson, and I'm a cruise ship alcohol smuggler.

[Hi Jayson!]

I used to sneak alcohol onto cruises, but I've come to the realization that I'm too old for that now. I'm not a poor college student anymore, and I haven't been for a long, long time. However, I've kept my frugal ways. So I'm looking for some suggestions on how to pay less than full price to drink some cocktails.

For context:

-I'll be sailing on Independence of the Seas for four nights later this month.

-I'm a Gold C&A member, reaching Platinum mid-cruise (not that it changes while on board anyway).

-I prefer cocktails and simple mixed drinks over beer and wine.

-I won't drink enough to justify the package. Oh, it'd be close, but there's no room for profit there. At best, it'd be break-even.

-Two-for-ones are good, since I'm traveling with my wife.

-Three-for-ones are not, since I'm also traveling with my young son.

-I know about the drink of the day (and to skip the souvenir cup) and the champagne art auctions (not that desperate).

With all that said, what other ways can I find some discounted drinks on board? Will there be happy hours or similar promotions? Is there anything else I'm not considering?

I thank you very much for your replies. That's one area I'm not frugal.

Hi Jayson!

Sally here and I am ashamed to admit that I, too, have smuggled alcohol a couple of times in my younger (poorer) years but, happy to say, that I no longer feel the need to do that! Some ships, about mid-week, have been offering a 10-drink card for around $85, which can be used anytime for the rest of the cruise, so that may be a good option for you.:rolleyes: Also, watch the Compass for drink specials, 2 for 1, etc. Best advice is to keep on cruising to get to the Diamond level for all of those free drinks during nightly happy hours and you'll be all set!!:cool: Hope to see you in the D lounge some day!;)

You'd be surprised how easily the package is met.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agreed. And then you don't have to worry about finding 2 for 1 deals or if you don't really care for the drink of the day, etc. Also, if you have the package and are having fun at one of the night venues, you can stay for an extra round or two (or three) without worrying about the cost.

You'd be surprised how easily the package is met. It's really only four or five drinks.

I agree, especially if you are drinking mixed drinks versus beer/wine.

6 drinks a day and you would more or less break even with the Premium package.

for me this is no brainer on RC since I can purchase it and my wife does not have to, on other lines it makes less sense because I would have to drink enough for both of us to break even.

I know this isnt really the answer or tip you were looking for but figured i'd share.

-Matt

Keep your eyes open for the drink cards. Some ships are offering 10-drink packages for around $75. It seems these usually come later in the cruise, so check with a bartender.

On our Oasis cruise they were selling the 10 drink card for 79 dollars I believe. They also were selling the beverage packages with just 2 days left rather than the minimum 4 days I had always heard about.

Watch your onboard account to make sure the charges that appear agree with what was on your slips, we had odd charges show up a few times during the week that had no explanation but were removed with a call to guest services.

You'd be surprised how easily the package is met. It's really only four or five drinks.

Per day..... Every day...... 4 or 5 drinks a day on sea days isn't a problem. On days when we're in port, and off the ship for most of the day, it becomes more of a challenge. In my younger days it wouldn't have been a problem but now, it gets more challenging. I think the break even number is probably closer to 6 anyway.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

I just got off Oasis. Even on non sea days, I managed to break even due to the prices of the drinks and the low alcohol content. Even considering the fact that we shared, we would have broken even.

Do a martini or mixology class. They usually have those on the afternoon of sea days. The one we did on Liberty last week was $25 + 18% (so $29.50 total), but it included 5 "samples" of martinis, that were about half a normal martini, and everyone got a full-sized martini at the end. So, the equivalent of about 3 1/2 drinks for that price. And the martinis tend to have about 3 oz of liquor vs the 1.25 oz standard pour for mixed drinks. So, maybe not "cheap," but reasonable, and it includes the entertainment value of a top bartender teaching you how to make each drink.

I think the break even number is probably closer to 6 anyway.

Its only about 4 drinks if you drink the frozen concoctions I do. I paid $14.16 for every one I drank last April. The premium package 57.82 a day with the gratuity. Some days I spent way over 57.00 on alcohol. Others I spent 0.00 though. The drink package, at the time, just didnt make sense to me. With that said, I spent countless hours of my wonderful vacation worrying about drink prices and a big bar tab. Next time, I will just prepay for the package in advance even if there is a chance I wont "break even".

Edited by ryano

Watch your onboard account to make sure the charges that appear agree with what was on your slips, we had odd charges show up a few times during the week that had no explanation but were removed with a call to guest services.

those odd charges were the overage your package didn't cover. the fine print says the premium package covers cocktails up to $10 and wine up to $12 per glass. On Enchantment they conveniently priced all cocktails at $10.95 so I had .95 charges. Worse yet, not all the bars played by the same rules. The R Bar was the only bar on Enchantment that didn't charge me the overage.

Tip #1 - Always state that you want your drink in a "regular glass". Bartenders will almost always reach for the "souvenir" glasses that cost extra.

Tip #2 - If you aren't partial to a certain brand, tell the bartender to use the well brand. On cruise ships they are of a decent quality and cheaper than call or top shelf brands. Bartenders will automatically reach for the top shelf brand since they cost more and add to their tips. Face it, for a gin and tonic, you really don't need Bombay mixed in the tonic.

Stretch

Another reply that doesn't answer your OP?

On our upcoming cruse, I have the select package and my wife has the premium package, I like a beer and a glass or 2 of red!! so I think at least I will break even, were as my wife likes an odd glass of wine maybe a GnT, but when we cruse's she likes a cocktail, but really doesn't know what her taste on the day will be, she has many times bought one(none package) and not liked it, so this way she can have what ever and if its not to her taste try another?

So maybe she wont break even? but she can have what ever without thinking I didn't like that one and paid £10 for it and then I don't have to finish it and have a hangover the next morning:eek:

Another reply that doesn't answer your OP?

On our upcoming cruse, I have the select package and my wife has the premium package, I like a beer and a glass or 2 of red!! so I think at least I will break even, were as my wife likes an odd glass of wine maybe a GnT, but when we cruse's she likes a cocktail, but really doesn't know what her taste on the day will be, she has many times bought one(none package) and not liked it, so this way she can have what ever and if its not to her taste try another?

So maybe she wont break even? but she can have what ever without thinking I didn't like that one and paid £10 for it and then I don't have to finish it and have a hangover the next morning:eek:

I had to look at your screen name to make sure my husband didn't sign up for CC lol. This is exactly what we did for exactly the same reasons[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't mind the replies that don't directly answer my question, as there will eventually be other people interested in this overall topic, and they'll find value in those responses. I know it's worked out that way for me on other threads.

With that said, the value for the premium package just isn't there for me, since I'd also need to factor in the cost for a divorce attorney if I were to consume enough drinks to exceed the break even point. I kid, but I don't think my wife will appreciate our differences in sobriety for four straight days. I've had the package before, on a cruise with the guys, so it'll be difficult to step down, but at least I know what I'm getting myself into.

For the BOGO happy hours and drink cards, do those tend to appear on short (four-day) voyages?

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Per day..... Every day...... 4 or 5 drinks a day on sea days isn't a problem. On days when we're in port, and off the ship for most of the day, it becomes more of a challenge. In my younger days it wouldn't have been a problem but now, it gets more challenging. I think the break even number is probably closer to 6 anyway.

I figured on the sea days I would start early and get well over my 6 drinks needed at the end of the night. That way I could sit easy on the port days. If I did 8 or 9 in a 15 hour day that's way less than a drink an hour. It gives me the opportunity to try new drinks I normally wouldn't try because I wouldn't want to pay for something I may not like. It the drink sucks I get a different drink 15 minutes later. At least that's how I'm looking at it and intend to utilize the drink package.

There are several opportunities to indulge in complimentary drinks, one being the champagne art auction you already mentioned. Another is the Captain's Gala evening, which is the first Formal Night. Wherever it is held, there is complimentary champagne and perhaps other alcoholic choices. As well, the Welcome Back C&A party offers free alcoholic drinks.

Having said that, and given all the replies you've received, perhaps you will find you won't be drinking as much as you think you might because you have your "young son" with you. I mean, if it's a family vacation, you may want to concentrate on that aspect of it. :) Family is precious.

Enjoy your cruise.

those odd charges were the overage your package didn't cover. the fine print says the premium package covers cocktails up to $10 and wine up to $12 per glass. On Enchantment they conveniently priced all cocktails at $10.95 so I had .95 charges. Worse yet, not all the bars played by the same rules. The R Bar was the only bar on Enchantment that didn't charge me the overage.

Nope, not an overage, they were some phantom charge, not on our slips. Guest services did not dispute them for a moment and simply removed them.

On a four day cruise you are only talking a couple hundred bucks for the package. If you don't want to do that I would go back to smuggling.

It is extremely easy and almost 100% successful with a rum runner.

If you won't be even having four drinks a day you are looking at maybe 120z

of liquor. You could just put it in your pocket and walk on the ship.

Rum Runner about $10, 12oz of booze about $10, soda package for mixers

about $40.

I always get the Premium Package. It works for me. The mixed drinks on Adventure last month, a simple rum and coke or gin and tonic, was $8.26 including the gratuity.

The drinks are so weak that I never got drunk or embarrassed my wife. So you may think six or seven drinks is a lot spread over a whole sea day, but the weakness of the drinks has to be considered.

For those who do drink wine, most good glasses of wine are $12.00 or more. Two with lunch and two with dinner and you are within a buck or two of the daily package cost. Any alcohol before or after is "free" with the PP.