Buyer beware

howndder

Good morning everyone. I always find it amazing that, the people that respond to anyone here, whether me or anyone else for that matter, that defend everyone and everything in his/hers post that he/she found wanting.

Harry Truman said: "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog." I say: If you are looking for sympathy on these boards, find a pastor, priest, etc."

You provided your honest observations of your cruise and I take it at face value. Have you communicated your concerns in writing to the HAL home office and, if so, what was the result?

Thank you for your description. It sounds a lot more plausible than the total upheaval that's been portrayed, and more in line with what I have experienced on my pre-dry dock cruises.

Thanks to this poster. I agree with Ruth and Joanie that this sounds more realistic.

I'm one who would be very unhappy if I had an overflowing toilet.. I would expect it to be repaired the same day..If my toilet was not fixed the same day I would asked to be moved to another cabin..

On one cruise our Air Conditioner was not working & the parts for it had to shipped into a port.. Our Steward actually brought in a fan so we could be comfortable..

Also IMO dry dock preparations could be made the last couple of days before disembarkation but not for the entire cruise, if it will inconvenience Psgrs..

Having been an off shore cruiser for many years in our own boat I know things can go very wrong & it's not because of lack of maintenance.. My DH always tried to keep our boat in pristine condition, but many times the salt air caused parts to break down faster.. In addition any time we had guests on board, I had to caution them on the proper use of our toilet & nothing could be put into our toilet except bodily waste..It is especially hard for many people to remember, because land based toilets do not become clogged like ships & RV's toilets do..

IMO the OP has several legitimate complaints, but not having chicken salad is a very trivial complaint & should not be included in the same category...

Edited by serendipity1499

I could have shrugged off the rest, but a toilet over-flowing 4x would have turned me off for good as well. Sorry your vacation was so disappointing :(

I so agree. It seems that there are lots of cruisers who are willing to accept sub-par service and less than service. I applaud those who demand better and take their business elsewhere.

Let's be honest - poorly operating plumbing is a complaint that shows up much too often on CC.

I so agree. It seems that there are lots of cruisers who are willing to accept sub-par service and less than service. I applaud those who demand better and take their business elsewhere.

Let's be honest - poorly operating plumbing is a complaint that shows up much too often on CC.

Serendipity adds: In addition any time we had guests on board, I had to caution them on the proper use of our toilet & nothing could be put into our toilet except bodily waste..It is especially hard for many people to remember, because land based toilets do not become clogged like ships & RV's toilets do..

Is there something unique about HAL passengers and management that they do not seem get this important message across?

Edited by OlsSalt

Serendipity adds: In addition any time we had guests on board, I had to caution them on the proper use of our toilet & nothing could be put into our toilet except bodily waste..It is especially hard for many people to remember, because land based toilets do not become clogged like ships & RV's toilets do..

Is there something unique about HAL passengers and management that they do not seem get this important message across?

It sounds like you have had some toilet issues on your hal cruises. Would it be safe to say you flushed something that you shouldn't have?

Edited by Just_a_cruiser

It sounds like you have had some toilet issues on your hal cruises. Would it be safe to say you flushed something that you shouldn't have?

Nope, never flushed anything that was against the clearly posted guidelines. But yes, we have had toilet issues on almost all HAL cruises, primarily delay flush to the very occasional over-flow. All it takes is one careless person somewhere else on the line to cause a problem for others.

The only HAL cruise that I think was trouble free was the one where the captain during the life-boat drill admonished passengers to take care with the toilets. I have often recommended in my survey other captains do the same thing, but I have never heard another captain make this same very specific announcement.

My guess is when HAL converted to low-flow vacuum toilets is when the problems started happening as serendipity also pointed out on his boat.

One older ship we were on on another line used sea water in their regular flush toilets, and we were warned when we came into the Rangoon, Burma area that for several days our toilet water would look dark and scary and indeed it was. But the toilets on that old ship did work just fine. Built well before the current environmental standards that now must be followed.

I am sure HAL regrets the new low-flow system they installed so all we can do is hope everyone gets the message to treat these systems with loving care and attention, for the sake of everyone.

Often the problem with toilet overflow, at home and on the ship, is a valve that sticks open instead of closing and thereby shutting off the water so the water continues to flow into the toilet.

If you push the flush button, it will often fix the problem by unsticking the valve. The valve may not stick again, or it might.

We have found that this happens only right after using the toilet, so we never leave the bathroom until we see that that water has stopped.

It took two times having the water over the rim and onto the floor to figure this out.

The reality is somewhere in between. The notion that everything is perfect on HAL is as preposterous as the notion that everything is bad.

There are some HAL ships that are not up to scratch in one way or anther just as there are some HAL ships that are fabulous. The trick is to read between the lines and focus on the ones that are consistently well maintained and well managed. And avoid those with known issues or those not in the same pristine condition. No different than other cruise lines.

The reality is somewhere in between. The notion that everything is perfect on HAL is as preposterous as the notion that everything is bad.

There are some HAL ships that are not up to scratch in one way or anther just as there are some HAL ships that are fabulous. The trick is to read between the lines and focus on the ones that are consistently well maintained and well managed. And avoid those with known issues or those not in the same pristine condition. No different than other cruise lines.

More than once we have passed on a HAl cruise because of the ship, just as we have on some other cruise lines. Their ships are not all equal in our view.

Edited by iancal

[emoji23] I rarely come to the HAL board anymore but I stopped by the read about the new ship. After reading this thread I was reminded why I stopped reading in this forum. (And actually why I stopped cruising HAL). The cheerleaders are so predictable. I believe what the OP posted is in fact what happened to him on his cruise. Just because someone came along and posted a different experience doesn't make OPs post any less valid. I find it totally bizarre that many of the posters get on a HAL ship expecting problems and accepting that possibility. Whether you pay $500 or $25,000 for a cruise I see no reason to expect problems and further to just accept them. I know things happen but it is the response to the problem by those who can help solve the problem that makes the difference. And it seems HAL is sorely lacking in customer service at the administrative end. I do wonder if one of the "in crowd" or one of the cheerleaders had returned from this cruise and posted this review would it have been met with more sympathy or understanding? Doubtful because a negative review would never be written because you went expecting issues. Sorry OP you had problems. Luckily you know a quick fix.

[emoji23] I rarely come to the HAL board anymore but I stopped by the read about the new ship. After reading this thread I was reminded why I stopped reading in this forum. (And actually why I stopped cruising HAL). The cheerleaders are so predictable. I believe what the OP posted is in fact what happened to him on his cruise. Just because someone came along and posted a different experience doesn't make OPs post any less valid.

When people post a different experience it is not usually meant to deny what happened to someone else but to just give another view.

For instance, when someone may post that all HAL ships have toilet problems all the time and I respond that I have not had any toilet problems on 7 HAL cruises I am not saying it never happens, I am just saying that it never happened to me.

Often the problem with toilet overflow, at home and on the ship, is a valve that sticks open instead of closing and thereby shutting off the water so the water continues to flow into the toilet.

If you push the flush button, it will often fix the problem by unsticking the valve. The valve may not stick again, or it might.

We have found that this happens only right after using the toilet, so we never leave the bathroom until we see that that water has stopped.

It took two times having the water over the rim and onto the floor to figure this out.

Hey, my teenage daughter plugs up our toilet at home more than I've ever experienced on a HAL cruise! :p

Can't think of any cruise where we did not see engineering staff working in various parts of the ship. Including lifted ceiling or wall panels

Our own reaction is always awe for the level of technical expertise a ship's must provide to be ready for any and all system malfunctions. Plus the chance to see into the hidden infrastructure of what makes a ship really tick, its working guts, well beyond the superficial hotel veneer.

We always find these inner-working views humbling, rather than disruptive or offensive. We are just thankful they have so many skilled workers on board well-beyond the dining, entertainment and excursion staff who we normally see. We might be primarily daylight active passengers, but the ship goes on 24/7.

Wow! That's how I feel. Thanks for writing that! :)

As a newbie on this board, I'm continuously shocked at how people are quick to pounce on people if they don't have shiny happy reviews.

All cruise lines have their keen supporters. HAL seems to have the most "cheerleaders" ready to claim that that HAL is always right and the customer is always wrong. I have a favourite cruise line but have never even been tempted to engage in this behaviour.

After merely asking a question about whether the Neptune concierge would provide a certain service that was offered by the Grills concierge on Cunard I got a blast. The attitude was: how dare you expect a service normally offered as part of a premium level of service on other lines; it is your responsibility.

Eight months before our cruise to Alaska it appeared that HAL lowered the fare for the Neptune suites. Through our TA I tried to get the cruise re-priced. HAL was being difficult and requested proof that the fare had been reduced. I sent a screen shot which was not good enough. They wanted the URL so I sent that, but that still was not enough. I posted this information on here just as a matter of interest.

The cheerleaders pounced: How dare you expect a lower fare and to be able to keep the early booking offer, which was the Explore 4. Well, at eight months in advance it was still being offered. Your travel agent wouldn't help because he was padding his commission, suggested one person. How dare you expect HAL to honour a mistake which they are entitled to make, was another comment. HAL never admitted it was a mistake; they were simply in denial. I let it go as the full fare was reasonable and I had other arrangements with air and rail and didn't want to cancel. It was an amusing time though:).

In the past year I have noticed that many HAL supporters are admitting that not everything is perfect so I hope people will not be deterred from commenting on their experiences - both the positive and negative.

Mh... I think I am not a person who is praising HAL uncritical. And if you look at my prior Cruises you will see that I cruised with different lines. Each and every cruiseline has some things I favour and others things I would discard.

But I praise myself to judge firm but fair.

Formerly I was working for a travel agency for 8 years and I was used to look at each and every hotel I stayed with the eyes of our customers to give them a honest review.

I am no person hired to cheer in the crowd....

But if I read false accusations like "disturbing work during the whole cruise" I will not stop to put the record straight.

All cruise lines have their keen supporters. HAL seems to have the most "cheerleaders" ready to claim that that HAL is always right and the customer is always wrong. I have a favourite cruise line but have never even been tempted to engage in this behaviour.

Like your post. Don't know whether its always "cheer-leading," or just an adversarial nature.

When people post a different experience it is not usually meant to deny what happened to someone else but to just give another view.

For instance, when someone may post that all HAL ships have toilet problems all the time and I respond that I have not had any toilet problems on 7 HAL cruises I am not saying it never happens, I am just saying that it never happened to me.

You are also pointing out that it doesn't happen every time, to every person.

That's an important take away from these discussions, as a different impression is sometimes left.

Eight months before our cruise to Alaska it appeared that HAL lowered the fare for the Neptune suites. Through our TA I tried to get the cruise re-priced. HAL was being difficult and requested proof that the fare had been reduced.

The cheerleaders pounced: How dare you expect a lower fare and to be able to keep the early booking offer, which was the Explore 4. Well, at eight months in advance it was still being offered.

In the past year I have noticed that many HAL supporters are admitting that not everything is perfect so I hope people will not be deterred from commenting on their experiences - both the positive and negative.

Thank you for your post. It's very insightful. I'm on the CC board to absorb every bit of detail, tricks and tips before our first cruise. I would say I have enjoyed 80% of it. I have not enjoyed the pouncers and those who can't seem to acknowledge that bad things happen.

It's interesting that you were pounced on for posting about wanting a decrease in price after you saw it online. I've seen veteran HAL cruisers revel in the fact that got an upgrade or lower price before final payment. It's because someone posted on CC that I was able to get $50 off and $150 in on board credit. I let our wedding cruise group know and 40 people were able to also snag the deal. It was awesome! I was very thankful.

When we booked our cruise, our TA told us to keep an eye out, that prices fluctuate and if it's before final payment, we could get an adjustment if the price does down. I thought this was quite a nice perk! Unfortunately, our cruise has gone up in price and final payment is within a few weeks.

Thanks again for your post, makes me feel a tad better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Like your post. Don't know whether its always "cheer-leading," or just an adversarial nature.

I would say several of the posts, not all, in response to negative comments, are certainly "adversarial" in nature.

Rough crowd on this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SLOTheta