Buyer beware

howndder

Thank you!

If the toilet won't flush, you just have to wait. It will in time. I am not exactly sure what happens (where is DH when I need him??), but we've experienced the "delayed flush" many, many times. It does have to do with the vacuum system (this is not a problem with at home toilets) and it sort of re-energizes itself and then flushes.

Repeated attempts to flush in this situation do no good. Just leave it and out of the blue you will hear the flush.

Cruising can be a time of new experiences, learning experiences, too!

Thanks, pretty much what I expected. At least I know now what to do if it ever overflows! :D

I don't know. His command of English was the worst I have ever encountered on a cruise ship. However, there are certain emotional human events that, as you rightly suggest, transcend the language barrier. The crewmember in question was standing 5 feet away from us watching and listening to the woman cry.

Within the last few years, there was a well-publicized event of a HAL crew member beating and raping a female passenger. He used her laptop as the weapon. You may Goggle this, as I'm sure you won't believe me. In any event, when questioned, he told the authorities that the woman passenger had "insulted him". Beyond that, no one knew.

You do not have to believe me, really. I am not in the least offended.

I, for one, don't doubt you and the rape incident you related is a matter of fact. Just speculating, but perhaps the reason the crew member didn't immediately call for help was his inability to communicate effectively in English. It is my observation that many guests believe the Indonesian and Filipino crew members are fluent in English. Yes, they can exchange simple pleasantries and engage in small talk with guests, but I've found very few have the mastery of the language to resolve complicated problems or other complex issues. Not being critical as I'm certain their English far superior to my Tagalog or Indonesian.

I will not name the ship and the particular cruise, partly to protect the line. Additionally, I clearly stated that the "hapless crew member" was not the '"bad guy"'.

"He was not a bad crewmember or stupid, he just didn’t grasp the situation."

While your point was about the response of "fan boys" to your post, the story is naturally going to shock readers for the same reason it shocked you, and some are going to want more information, which you may not be able to provide. Could you give the link to your original post regarding the event?

I, for one, don't doubt you and the rape incident you related is a matter of fact. Just speculating, but perhaps the reason the crew member didn't immediately call for help was his inability to communicate effectively in English. It is my observation that many guests believe the Indonesian and Filipino crew members are fluent in English. Yes, they can exchange simple pleasantries and engage in small talk with guests, but I've found very few have the mastery of the language to resolve complicated problems or other complex issues. Not being critical as I'm certain their English far superior to my Tagalog or Indonesian.

Thank you for this well thought out response.

Since this incident, I remain haunted by it each time I board a cruise ship. I wonder how such a repeat emergency scenario might play out mid-ocean.

While your point was about the response of "fan boys" to your post, the story is naturally going to shock readers for the same reason it shocked you, and some are going to want more information, which you may not be able to provide. Could you give the link to your original post regarding the event?

Apparently, it no longer exists. I did a search of my posts. That particular post antedated my last post listed here by a number of years. Perhaps Cruise Critic has a policy of deleting posts aged beyond a certain point. I may have deleted it myself (if that is possible); I don't remember. I was attacked so severely, that I didn't log on to the site for a lengthy period.

Edited by tech1

[emoji23][emoji848][emoji849][emoji16]This may just be the best HAL thread ever. Unfrickin' believable.

Have to agree, although there have been some doozies.

Educational, too, which is my criteria for continued reading. OK, maybe not totally.............

I am in no way attacking you or not believing the story My shock is that the nurse just stood beside you and didn't rush to the man's side; she may very well not have been able to save him, but at least she could have comforted him. I take a commuter train every day to work. On rare occasion, the conductor asks if there is a doctor or nurse on the train as a passenger needs assistance. My experience is that there is usually at least one person who rushes to the car where assistance is required. One day, a person passed out in the car I was sitting in and after the announcement was made, four people came rushing in saying they were nurses. As for the unfortunate rape incident on HAL, we all know it happened because it was in the media and the crew member is now in jail.

I am in no way attacking you or not believing the story My shock is that the nurse just stood beside you and didn't rush to the man's side; she may very well not have been able to save him, but at least she could have comforted him. I take a commuter train every day to work. On rare occasion, the conductor asks if there is a doctor or nurse on the train as a passenger needs assistance. My experience is that there is usually at least one person who rushes to the car where assistance is required. One day, a person passed out in the car I was sitting in and after the announcement was made, four people came rushing in saying they were nurses. As for the unfortunate rape incident on HAL, we all know it happened because it was in the media and the crew member is now in jail.

A number of posters have made similar statements and implied that my "rendition" of the story is less than credible, because this presumably makes no sense. In your case, at least you are allowing for the fact that this actually happened.

BTW, my reason for mentioning the rape and beating, was because one poster who was attacking me, insisted that I had to explain WHY the crew member did what he did. He also made some statements to the effect that he found it impossible to believe that a HAL crew member would behave that way, while someone was obviously in need. I was merely pointing out crew members can do inexplicable things and that it was really impossible to know why.

I wondered about it myself, but never asked. So, last night I emailed an RN whom I have known for many years, regarding this issue. Below is my question and the RN's response:

"I was thinking today about that experience in xxxx, when I was in xxxx. When the man on deck had that abdominal aneurysm...and the crew member present failed to call for help...why do you think the RN I was with didn't try to do something, as the "first responder"?"

"There may have been an issue of potential liability if she wasn't a registered member of the ship's medical staff,...or she might have not felt confident that she knew what to do in that situation.

What I find confusing is that the crew member that was present didn't call someone on the medical staff for help. At the very least, he should have picked up a phone or radio and done that."

Edited by tech1

I wondered about it myself, but never asked. So, last night I emailed an RN whom I have known for many years, regarding this issue. Below is my question and the RN's response:

"There may have been an issue of potential liability if she wasn't a registered member of the ship's medical staff,...or she might have not felt confident that she knew what to do in that situation.

What I find confusing is that the crew member that was present didn't call "

The sad thing is that, presuming it was an aneurism, there probably was nothing that RN 1 could do.

A number of posters have made similar statements and implied that my "rendition" of the story is less than credible, because this presumably makes no sense. In your case, at least you are allowing for the fact that this actually happened.

BTW, my reason for mentioning the rape and beating, was because one poster who was attacking me, insisted that I had to explain WHY the crew member did what he did. He also made some statements to the effect that he found it impossible to believe that a HAL crew member would behave that way, while someone was obviously in need. I was merely pointing out crew members can do inexplicable things and that it was really impossible to know why.

"I was thinking today about that experience in xxxx, when I was in xxxx. When the man on deck had that abdominal aneurysm...and the crew member present failed to call for help...why do you think the RN I was with didn't try to do something, as the "first responder"?"

What I find confusing is that the crew member that was present didn't call someone on the medical staff for help. At the very least, he should have picked up a phone or radio and done that."

The Indonesian crew member acted immediately once he got the 911 idea.

They are trained for this and will understand what to do once they understand the emergent nature of what is happening. Many people in an emergency (or otherwise) respond to direct orders, strongly put. Try that first.

I think you should stop paying attention to people on this board "attacking/not believing" you. Does it really matter? You have added an interesting story to the thread which is in fact quite a teaching/learning moment. Thanks.

As I posted on another thread:

In Almost all European countries, you are required to help a person in ( medical) need in any way possible unless your safety is compromised yourself. ( under Napoleonic Law or "good-Samaditan in Ireland or UK for example)

This means, that if you have at any time have had any first aid training, you should, after calling for professional help ( 911 for ex.) , without delay, perform first aid.

You CAN NOT be sued nor convicted in Europe for assisting a person in need, but you can, and will be prosecuted for refusing aid. ( especially if trained and using the pathetic excuse of being afraid of litigation. We are a developped area and value a person's life higher than the wallet of compensation lawyers).

Remember that you can never worsen a person's condition by applying chest compressions, and that quick action is key to survival and complete recovery.

Hey How,

>The Executive Chef should be fired, for suggesting to me that I could make my own chicken salad with the available ingredients,..

You didn't take him up on it?

> they had to give me a free meal because they took too many reservations,

That's unreasonable?

As mentioned above:

>Sorry you did not like you cruise. Some of your concerns are more legit than others but having sailed on multiple lines I would tell you they all produce unhappy customers on occasion. <

May the Force be with you

Ira

Bottom line for us is that HAL is about the same as the other mass market lines when it comes to food,service, hospitality. Very little difference. I think it really comes down to personal preferences...decor, demographics, itinerary. The only real minor standout for us is that HAL is still in the dark ages when it comes to on board information technology. We are hoping to snag a K'dam cruise this fall. Hopefully this new ship will have a greatly enhanced in cabin IT capability.

The only big differences we see is on entertainment (if you discount the entertainment value of attending art auctions) and age of fleet/maintenance issues. And the latter does not impact us since we avoid the older ships. We seldom bother too much with the on board entertainment.

We have just returned from our cruise and we had some problems that needed attention.

1. Do not ring or go to the Front Office to report a problem. Nothing ever happens.

2. Do tell your Cabin Steward about your problems. Toilet overflowing, shower not draining etc. Ours were fixed within the hour.

3. When we did ring the Front Office (in the middle of the night) absolutely nothing was done. It was a problem that affected many cabins and we all rang the Front Desk and were all told it would be attended to. I would say it is still waiting to be attended to. It certainly wasn't attended to in the 3 days that we remained onboard.

We have just returned from our cruise and we had some problems that needed attention.

1. Do not ring or go to the Front Office to report a problem. Nothing ever happens.

2. Do tell your Cabin Steward about your problems. Toilet overflowing, shower not draining etc. Ours were fixed within the hour.

3. When we did ring the Front Office (in the middle of the night) absolutely nothing was done. It was a problem that affected many cabins and we all rang the Front Desk and were all told it would be attended to. I would say it is still waiting to be attended to. It certainly wasn't attended to in the 3 days that we remained onboard.

Yes, ask the cabin steward. They are almost always very willing to get things right and are unhappy when things aren't. They are the best bet!

The only real minor standout for us is that HAL is still in the dark ages when it comes to on board information technology. We are hoping to snag a K'dam cruise this fall. Hopefully this new ship will have a greatly enhanced in cabin IT capability.

This is a fact. I'm a network tech and after seeing some of HAL's computer equipment, I was astounded. I was not expecting rack mounted, multi-processor PowerEdge Xeon servers and high-speed fiber connections, but they are in the Stone Age where computer equipment and connectivity are concerned.

Edited by tech1

The Indonesian crew member acted immediately once he got the 911 idea.

They are trained for this and will understand what to do once they understand the emergent nature of what is happening. Many people in an emergency (or otherwise) respond to direct orders, strongly put. Try that first.

I agree; you're right.

tech1......when it comes to web design. ease of use, performance, functionality and performance HAL is absolutely at the bottom of the barrel. HAL and Celebrity are tied for having about the worst web sites of any of the mass market cruise lines, IMHO.