Buyer beware

howndder

Often the problem with toilet overflow, at home and on the ship, is a valve that sticks open instead of closing and thereby shutting off the water so the water continues to flow into the toilet.

If you push the flush button, it will often fix the problem by unsticking the valve. The valve may not stick again, or it might.

We have found that this happens only right after using the toilet, so we never leave the bathroom until we see that that water has stopped.

It took two times having the water over the rim and onto the floor to figure this out.

Thank you for sharing this information. It will come in handy, if we have issues on a ship in the future I will keep this in mind.

All cruise lines have their keen supporters. HAL seems to have the most "cheerleaders" ready to claim that that HAL is always right and the customer is always wrong. I have a favourite cruise line but have never even been tempted to engage in this behaviour."

The cheerleaders pounced: How dare you expect a lower fare and to be able to keep the early booking offer, which was the Explore 4. Well, at eight months in advance it was still being offered. Your travel agent wouldn't help because he was padding his commission, suggested one person. How dare you expect HAL to honour a mistake which they are entitled to make, was another comment. HAL never admitted it was a mistake; they were simply in denial. I let it go as the full fare was reasonable and I had other arrangements with air and rail and didn't want to cancel. It was an amusing time though:)...

"In the past year I have noticed that many HAL supporters are admitting that not everything is perfect so I hope people will not be deterred from commenting on their experiences - both the positive and negative.

Our monthlong experience Jan 8 - Feb 8 (the first of two months+ we were to sail in her) was less enjoyable than the OP's transatlantic trip but my comment on here was greeted as a "hyperbolic review"

After quitting the OOSTERDAM we canceled 269 days of HAL cruises booked from Feb 8, 2016 through May 26, 2017... we miss cruising so we booked a lone 14 day cruise leaving in mid-October...

Thank you for sharing this information. It will come in handy, if we have issues on a ship in the future I will keep this in mind.

Thank you!

This really does work. And we really do not leave the bathroom until the water stops filling (wash your hands at the same time). A small price to pay for peace of mind for the problem at hand.

[emoji23] I rarely come to the HAL board anymore but I stopped by the read about the new ship. After reading this thread I was reminded why I stopped reading in this forum. (And actually why I stopped cruising HAL). The cheerleaders are so predictable. I believe what the OP posted is in fact what happened to him on his cruise. Just because someone came along and posted a different experience doesn't make OPs post any less valid.

Some time ago, I had an experience on a HAL cruise that was truly frightening and I hope nothing like it will ever be repeated. I want to say up front, that like HAL and have very much enjoyed quite a few cruises. Of course the line is not perfect, but we always felt welcome and received good overall service.

At sea, while standing on deck at the railing with a fellow passenger (who happened to be an RN), a serious medical emergency occurred. We heard a terrible cry and without moving, we looked down the deck to see what was happening. A man had slumped in his chair and landed on the deck, face up. His female companion was pleading for help. We noticed that his abdomen had become quite distended and he appeared to be unconscious. The RN I was with, believed that the man had suffered an abdominal aneurism and might not survive without an immediate response from the medical team. She also stated that he might not survive no matter what was done.

There was an Indonesian crewmember observing all of this and he was smiling and doing nothing! I realized that he simply did not grasp the seriousness of what we were all observing. At that point, I approached him said that it was an emergency and asked him to call for the medical team at once. Again, he just stood there and smiled and did nothing! He was not a bad crewmember or stupid, he just didn’t grasp the situation. The doors with right there and I moved toward the phone telling him I was going to dial 911 (I believed it was the same on the ship as on land). Finally, he understood and ran to the phone before I reached it, to call for help.

With the initial response delay and waiting for the medical team to arrive, a full 10 minutes (or more) had elapsed. When the team arrived and began working on the man, my RN friend said that he was dead, in her opinion, and that nothing they would do would make any difference. Lastly, the Hotel Manager arrived and shooed all of us away, not that anyone moved from where they were standing, or that people were crowding around the patient. Quite the contrary; we were fully 20’ or more away. Also, he was angry at us and blissfully unaware that we were the ones who initially responded to get help.

When I posted about this experience, the HAL fan boys (and girls) came out of the woodwork. I was literally attacked from all sides with comments like: “I was on that ship and on that deck when the emergency occurred and that is NOT what happened.” “You have nerve attacking the line for how they responded. What do you know about medical emergencies?” “This is clearly a lie from someone who is disgruntled.” …etc.,etc.,etc.

I certainly learned my lesson.

Edited by tech1

Some time ago, I had an experience on a HAL cruise that was truly frightening and I hope nothing like it will ever be repeated. I want to say up front, that like HAL and have very much enjoyed quite a few cruises. Of course the line is not perfect, but we always felt welcome and received good overall service.

At sea, while standing on deck at the railing with a fellow passenger (who happened to be an RN), a serious medical emergency occurred. We heard a terrible cry and without moving, we looked down the deck to see what was happening. A man had slumped in his chair and landed on the deck, face up. His female companion was pleading for help. We noticed that his abdomen had become quite distended and he appeared to be unconscious. The RN I was with, believed that the man had suffered an abdominal aneurism and might not survive without an immediate response from the medical team. She also stated that he might not survive no matter what was done.

There was an Indonesian crewmember observing all of this and he was smiling and doing nothing! I realized that he simply did not grasp the seriousness of what we were all observing. At that point, I approached him said that it was an emergency and asked him to call for the medical team at once. Again, he just stood there and smiled and did nothing! He was not a bad crewmember or stupid, he just didn’t grasp the situation. The doors with right there and I moved toward the phone telling him I was going to dial 911 (I believed it was the same on the ship as on land). Finally, he understood and ran to the phone before I reached it, to call for help.

With the initial response delay and waiting for the medical team to arrive, a full 10 minutes (or more) had elapsed. When the team arrived and began working on the man, my RN friend said that he was dead, in her opinion, and that nothing they would do would make any difference. Lastly, the Hotel Manager arrived and shooed all of us away, not that anyone moved from where they were standing, or that people were crowding around the patient. Quite the contrary; we were fully 20’ or more away. Also, he was angry at us and blissfully unaware that we were the ones who initially responded to get help.

When I posted about this experience, the HAL fan boys (and girls) came out of the woodwork. I was literally attacked from all sides with comments like: “I was on that ship and on that deck when the emergency occurred and that is NOT what happened.” “You have nerve attacking the line for how they responded. What do you know about medical emergencies?” “This is clearly a lie from someone who is disgruntled.” …etc.,etc.,etc.

I certainly learned my lesson.

I'm certainly not a HAL fan for all of the obvious reasons. Nonetheless, and out of curiosity, why didn't your RN companion identify herself and act as a "first responder" until the ship's medical personnel could respond?

I'm certainly not a HAL fan for all of the obvious reasons. Nonetheless, and out of curiosity, why didn't your RN companion identify herself and act as a "first responder" until the ship's medical personnel could respond?

Some questions do come to mind but from the rest of the post I assume we cannot ask.

At sea, while standing on deck at the railing with a fellow passenger (who happened to be an RN), a serious medical emergency occurred.

We heard a terrible cry and without moving, we looked down the deck to see what was happening.

A man had slumped in his chair and landed on the deck, face up. His female companion was pleading for help.

There was an Indonesian crewmember observing all of this and he was smiling and doing nothing!

...... I moved toward the phone telling him I was going to dial 911 (I believed it was the same on the ship as on land).

With the initial response delay and waiting for the medical team to arrive, a full 10 minutes (or more) had elapsed. ..........

Edited for brevity.

Edited by OlsSalt

Often the problem with toilet overflow, at home and on the ship, is a valve that sticks open instead of closing and thereby shutting off the water so the water continues to flow into the toilet.

If you push the flush button, it will often fix the problem by unsticking the valve. The valve may not stick again, or it might.

We have found that this happens only right after using the toilet, so we never leave the bathroom until we see that that water has stopped.

It took two times having the water over the rim and onto the floor to figure this out.

Great tip, thank you! What about when the toilet just won't flush? Thank heavens we've never had the overflow problem (knock on wood) :eek: But did have the opposite problem once and of course had to call for maintenance. Any tips for that? :D

Some questions do come to mind but from the rest of the post I assume we cannot ask.

I find it hard to believe that a nurse nearby would not jump into action and try to help this unfortunate person.

Also needing fleshing out is where was this event located, on which ship and how far away was the Medical Office. What was the doctor also doing at the same time. How long does it take under the best of circumstances to move from the Medical Suite to let's say the upper most decks.

The painful part of the story for me as it was related for was somehow making this hapless crew member the targeted "bad guy".

Edited by OlsSalt

That is a reasonable and logical question. I don't know.

Frankly, I don't know for sure if it was before the medical Good Samaritan law. However, we were at sea and I don't know if the same law applies. In any event, I am not a medical person and I don't know. Perhaps, due to the serious nature of the aneurism, she knew she should not interfere.

Edited by tech1

Also needing fleshing out is where was this event located, on which ship and how far away was the Medical Office. What was the doctor also doing at the same time. How long does it take under the best of circumstances to move from the Medical Suite to let's say the upper most decks.

The painful part of the story for me as it was related for was somehow making this hapless crew member the targeted "bad guy".

I will not name the ship and the particular cruise, partly to protect the line. Additionally, I clearly stated that the "hapless crew member" was not the '"bad guy"'.

"He was not a bad crewmember or stupid, he just didn’t grasp the situation."

Edited by tech1

I will not name the ship and the particular cruise, partly to protect the line. Additionally, I clearly stated that the "hapless crew member" was not the '"bad guy"'.

"He was not a bad crewmember or stupid, he just didn’t grasp the situation."

But you also stated they was a loud cry and the companion was pleading for help ...yet this crew member who you claimed "observed it all" did nothing. (The loud cry and the pleading for help).

Sorry but I am just not buying your claim the "fully observant" crew member "did not grasp the situation".

Just me. So that does make me critical of this tale - not that it did not happen and it is a terrible tragedy for anyone to witness, but the part where under the circumstances you claim, another human being just stood there doing nothing. That remains painful. Nor can I accept your rendition is the only accurate report of what this crew member saw or did. Did you ever discuss this with anyone else while on board, including the crew member?

Edited by OlsSalt

But you also stated they was a loud cry and the companion was pleading for help ...yet this crew member who you claimed "observed it all" did nothing. (The loud cry and the pleading for help).

Sorry but I am just not buying your claim the "fully observant" crew member "did not grasp the situation".

Just me.

I rest my case; Déjà vu all over again. I promise I will refrain from any further post of this type per respect for the ever skeptical fan boys.

I rest my case; Déjà vu all over again. I promise I will refrain from any further post of this type per respect for the ever skeptical fan boys.

I hope you so stick around, but also see if you can see the sticking point. You know what you saw and felt. That is a given

But you did not know what was going on in this crew member's mind who you targeted as "seeing the whole thing and doing nothing". That is just not a neutral statement - it is what made this rendition of the event red meat. That was an ouch moment. And a hard one for some of us to get our heads wrapped around.

Another ouch moment is me continuing to parse this thing out - a true no win. Sorry. We shall both move on. And I am also sorry you had to go through this initial experience; let alone its aftermath.

Edited by OlsSalt

I hope you so stick around, but also see if you can see the sticking point. You know what you saw and felt. That is a given

But you did not know what was going on in this crew member's mind who you targeted as "seeing the whole thing and doing nothing". That is just not a neutral statement - it is what made this rendition of the event red meat. That was an ouch moment. And a hard one for some of us to get our heads wrapped around.

Another ouch moment is me continuing to parse this thing out - a true no win. Sorry. We shall both move on. And I am also sorry you had to go through this initial experience; let alone its aftermath.

You are a free agent and you may regard the entire “rendition” as a complete fiction. In fact, in this case, it is probably best that you do.

I do not have an agenda and clearly stated that I really do like the Line. Additionally, I have related the events accurately and it was discussed ad infinitum (including with the crewmember) during the duration of the cruise. I was most sorry for the victim and his unfortunate companion. I do not feel that my cruise experience was important. She departed with the body on a launch, before we moved on to the next port.

Edited by tech1

Additionally, I have related the events accurately and it was discussed ad infinitum (including with the crewmember) during the duration of the cruise. ........

Great, you just added some new information. Why did the crew member who saw it all, heard the cries and pleadings and still did nothing. Why didn't he do anything. This is key to the story as you told it.

Great, you just added some new information. Why did the crew member who saw it all, heard the cries and pleadings and still did nothing. Why didn't he do anything. This is key to the story as you told it.

I don't know. His command of English was the worst I have ever encountered on a cruise ship. However, there are certain emotional human events that, as you rightly suggest, transcend the language barrier. The crewmember in question was standing 5 feet away from us watching and listening to the woman cry.

Within the last few years, there was a well-publicized event of a HAL crew member beating and raping a female passenger. He used her laptop as the weapon. You may Goggle this, as I'm sure you won't believe me. In any event, when questioned, he told the authorities that the woman passenger had "insulted him". Beyond that, no one knew.

You do not have to believe me, really. I am not in the least offended.

I would say several of the posts, not all, in response to negative comments, are certainly "adversarial" in nature.

Rough crowd on this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Welcome to the CC/HAL Reality Show where everything is not as it seems but nearly everything deserves what it seems to need. WooHoo!

We have met several very loyal HAL cruisers who have given us good advice on which HAL ships they would never select again. Either because of ship design, known maintenance issues, or a general dis satisfaction with the entire 'package' as it were

They were not HAL bashers-quite the opposite in fact. More a combo of prudent consumers, people who matched their preferences to the ships attributes. I would call them realistic and straightforward HAL cheerleaders who praised the good but we're not shy to point out the obvious blemishes and criticize their favourite cruise line for not dealing with them.

I always thought that this was a healthy perspective. At the end of the day HAL, and others, are nothing but for profit hospitality subsidiaries of a large corporation.

Edited by iancal

Great tip, thank you! What about when the toilet just won't flush? Thank heavens we've never had the overflow problem (knock on wood) :eek: But did have the opposite problem once and of course had to call for maintenance. Any tips for that? :D

Thank you!

If the toilet won't flush, you just have to wait. It will in time. I am not exactly sure what happens (where is DH when I need him??), but we've experienced the "delayed flush" many, many times. It does have to do with the vacuum system (this is not a problem with at home toilets) and it sort of re-energizes itself and then flushes.

Repeated attempts to flush in this situation do no good. Just leave it and out of the blue you will hear the flush.

Cruising can be a time of new experiences, learning experiences, too!

Edited by SilvertoGold