Looking for suggestions on Alaska sailing

jmdlv1

I should probably post in another section but I'm posting here as I will be booking Celebrity.

I have never been to Alaska and see there are quite a few different sailings.

Departures from Seattle,Vancouver ,or Seward.

Tracy Arm,Southern Glacier,Northern Glacier,Hubbard Glacier!!

Any thoughts?Im confused.

Vancouver or Seward. You get the best of everything. The itinerary is best and you do the inside passage - not outside as R/T from Seattle. Easiest to fly to Anchorage and spend a couple days. Then drop car at airport and take shuttle to Seward. You absolutely need two nights there so you can do Kenai Fjords all day tour or glaciers. probably the bast tour in Alaska. Then you tour to Vancouver. Easy van transfer to airport and home.

Have booked this trip for hundreds of people. Hubbard glacier spectacular. Skagway a great all day place and if you rent a car - Sourdough Car rental - sort of like rent a wreck you can visit everything within 100 miles for little $$. Better than the train.

I have done Alaska twice. Seattle was great to leave from. Lots to do in town if you come in a day early.

We got on in Whittier on our princess trip with four days of land before. That was easy as princess had it all set up. Not sure if celebrity does that.

You really can't miss any route you take. Glacier bay is beautiful. I have not done Tracy Arm so I can't speak to that

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've done Alaska 5 times and our fav by far was the Southbound from Seward! Fly in a few days early to Anchorage and explore, then take a stunning train ride to Seward for the cruise. Unforgettable!

Next August will be our 3rd cruise to Alaska on Millennium. 1st cruise we did Vancouver pre cruise and a Celebrity land tour as far as Fairbanks post cruise. Next time we did Fairbanks to Anchorage pre cruise. Our 3rd cruise we are going to spend 2 nights in Anchorage and 2 or 3 in Seward pre cruise.

The inside passage is beautiful and Hubbard Glacier not to be missed.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Thanks for the replies.

I saw the Solstice goes in May.Is the weather still too cold then or would mid summer be safer?

I have cruised to Alaska four times, two of those in May and that is my favorite time. There is still a lot of snow in the mountains (but not in the towns), it's not too crowded, and we have had great weather in May. Usually need a jacket, but it is not really cold. I was colder in Glacier Bay in July than any other time I've been there. September is also nice because it is the end of season and there are many sales.

Carolyn

Celebrity does not do Glacier Bay. It is a national park and they limit the number of cruise lines with permits to visit.

May is great--I love the snow still on the mountains and the weather has been wonderful each time we've visited. However, because of ice you may not be able to travel very far into Tracy Arm to see Sawyer Glacier, and ice floes may prevent you from getting very close to Hubbard.

Some 7-day Princess itineraries do both Hubbard and Glacier Bay.

We did a Celebrity Alaska cruise AND Pre Alaska Land Tour in Aug. 2015.

The Pre-Land Cruise was fabulous -- I believe it was also arranged by Celebrity. Few into Anchorage on a Saturday, met the land tour leader Sunday night and started the land tour on Monday.

* went from Anchorage to Talkeetna by train - fabulous.

* Then to Denali National Park. Be SURE to do the tour that gives you 2 nights in Denali. We did NOT do the Denali tour that came with the land tour package -- it did not go very far into the park. The park has only 1 road and all tours are run by the national park service with the only difference being how far you go in. Go on the Denali National Park website itself and book the Kantishna Experience -- it is literally all day: pick up at 5:15 AM at the hotel and finished about 7 PM. WELL WORTH every penny and an absolutely once in a life-time experience! Can't recommend this enough!

* then takes you to Alyeska....you stay at the Hotel Alyeska -- fabulous resort. Again, go on line well before the trip and make a RESERVATION at the Seven Glaciers Restaurant. Your land cruise gives you tickets to ride up the mountain and back down on the gondola. The restaurant is at the top. Fabulous views. Fabulous meal. Many others tried to call the day of or just went up to see if they could get in. Nope. You MUST do the reservations in advance. Again, well worth it!

* You then go to Seward...where you ultimately board the ship.

IN TERMS OF THE CRUISE ITSELF:

Bring rain gear! Meaning rain jacket with hood AND rain pants. We were the only ones we saw with rain pants and folks were down right coveting them! So many people wearing cold wet levis. Also bring gloves, scarf and hat. Always better to be prepared.

* When you get to Hubbard Glacier, get in line EARLY to get out on the helipad! And here is where your warm and rain gear help out. By the time we got up close, folks were 10 deep and we were right at the rail.

* Skagway port: we booked, thru Celebrity, the Laughton Glacier Wilderness Hike and White Pass Railway. Bring hiking boots and we had our own walking/hiking poles. The guides offered folks walking poles (they have them) - take them! They help immensely. This is a fabulous, albeit strenuous hike. Worth every penny. We hiked to the toe of the glacier -- amazing!!! A few much younger folks put on "clampons" carried by the guides and actually climbed up and walked ON the glacier! There are 3 guides for this one hike (excursion) and they stay in touch with walkie-talkies. One guide stayed on the toe with us while the younger folks went on top; and still another smaller part of the group took the much tougher final segment up and across the glacier. Of the 2,000+ folks on our ship, only 12 did this excursion as it is strenuous. We were 68 at the time - in good health and walk and hike a lot. It was tough but doable and we loved it! NOT for children.

Those are my hints.

I have cruised to Alaska four times, two of those in May and that is my favorite time. There is still a lot of snow in the mountains (but not in the towns), it's not too crowded, and we have had great weather in May. Usually need a jacket, but it is not really cold. I was colder in Glacier Bay in July than any other time I've been there. September is also nice because it is the end of season and there are many sales.

Carolyn

I sure hope that May will be the charm, but I will enjoy the rain if it comes too! Sometimes it is just nice to get away from it all!