Credible Threats to Public Squares and Docks in Istanbul and Antalya

ChucktownSteve

Agree. I hope Bonnie is still monitoring this thread and is providing feedback to Azamara. We leave in five weeks and don't feel the political environment will be stabilized by that time. I see both Cunard and RCCL have also pulled out of all Turkey ports at least for the next few weeks.

Seabourn just canceled all remaining port calls in Turkey for the remainder of 2016, including Kusadasi and the evening concert in Ephesus, out of concern for the safety and security of their guests. Azamara seems to be the only holdout for reasons only known to them.

To clarify, not the only holdout.

Apparently HAL's Eurodam was in Kusadisi on July 23rd.

I got to believe the it okay to go to Ephesus for the short term, but I get the pull out. I would be okay with not going to Ephesus in July 2017, and if its another Greek Island great, all for it.

News is only getting worse -

Erdogan is meeting with Putin next month that's not a good sign. And he is arresting journalist and laying off police not a good sign. Claimed a state of emergency so he could bypass Parliament and pass laws that could possibly limit individual freedoms and suspend the rule of law.

I cant see this getting better anytime soon if the US will not give up Muslim cleric who lives in Pennsylvania, but would that really help?

Be safe!

Released by the US Department of State this morning (26 July 2016)

The U.S. Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey. The U.S. Department of State is updating this Travel Warning to reflect the July 25, 2016, decision to authorize the voluntary departure of family members of employees posted to the U.S. Embassy in Ankara and U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, Turkey. The Department of State made this decision following the July 15 attempted coup and subsequent declaration by the Turkish government of a 90-day State of Emergency. The Department continues to monitor the effect of these developments on the overall security situation in the country and advises U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to Turkey at this time. During this period, U.S. citizens in Turkey may see an increase in police or military activities and restrictions on movement.

The “voluntary” departure of family members is a serious step, just below the “ordered" departure which usually comes with a drawdown of official personnel to a minimum staffing level in an embassy or consulate. It implies that the US Government no longer believes that the host country (Turkey) can effectively protect diplomatic and official personnel in country.

Don't worry. I'm sure Azamara will continue to closely monitor the changing situation.

Steve, you don't sound convinced. In any case, as we've discussed about our cruise that is scheduled to begin next July in Istanbul, if it's not changed by Labor Day, we'll be cancelling. If I were on a ship that docked in Kusadasi, I'd stay on the ship.

Steve, you don't sound convinced. In any case, as we've discussed about our cruise that is scheduled to begin next July in Istanbul, if it's not changed by Labor Day, we'll be cancelling. If I were on a ship that docked in Kusadasi, I'd stay on the ship.

Oh, I'm convinced they'll monitor the situation. It just reminds me of the first 22 seconds of a Lifelock TV commercial. :D

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ant5/lifelock-fix-it

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Bonnie has been very quiet on this thread. I know she does not control the itineraries, but hope she is providing guest feedback. A lot of people are worried about 2017, but my Azamara cruise will be in Turkey in a few short weeks with no word whatsoever from Azamara

Bonnie has been very quiet on this thread. I know she does not control the itineraries, but hope she is providing guest feedback. A lot of people are worried about 2017, but my Azamara cruise will be in Turkey in a few short weeks with no word whatsoever from Azamara

I am on the same cruise as you are. My DH and I do not plan to get off the ship in Kusadasi. I really hope that Azamara finds us another port or adds another sea day.

Edited by gwcruzer
Spelling

I guess the only way to get their attention is if enough people cancel excursions and the Ephesus evening so that it hits them in the pocketbook. Given management's lack of concern, this may be our first and last Azamara cruise.

Something is going on with respect to the 2017 cruises since the July 2017 Med cruises on the Quest are now not available to be booked. I'm assuming that they are reworking the itineraries to be Turkey free (Vegan ;)).

This past weekend I was looking to replace our 14 night 2017 Azarama Istanbul embarking cruise with an Oceania 18 night from Tahiti to Hawaii and L.A. I would have booked it had it been on the Marina. Fortunately for Azamara this time it was on an old Princess ship they just acquired and their refurbishment wasn't a complete one. Only public areas. Didn't want to pay that price to have an old closet cabin. But I was so close to dumping out.

Something is going on with respect to the 2017 cruises since the July 2017 Med cruises on the Quest are now not available to be booked. I'm assuming that they are reworking the itineraries to be Turkey free (Vegan ;)).

Yeah I got faked out one week ago when the cruise didn't show on their site one morning but it came back later. It will be interesting to see what happens this time.

Yeah I got faked out one week ago when the cruise didn't show on their site one morning but it came back later. It will be interesting to see what happens this time.

Interesting that they also are changing the itinerary after ours as well. That means it may not end in Civitavecchia. Oops, I guess there is no cruise scheduled 8/5/17 in any case. Must have been a charter.

Edited by hubofhockey

Nice catch! Now I am going to look two times a day to see what they are doing for the July 5, 2017 cruise. Maybe, I get my wish to go out or in Rome so I can get one direct flight home. Dream on I guess

Funny thing is the June 21st 2017 cruise shows Ephesus still as a port

Azamara Journey is a Malta flagged ship, not US. She operates under Maltese maritime laws which is a complicating factor in a Turkish port. Staying on board, essentially our plan as well, can be subject to any Turkey-Malta maritime and security agreements.

Nice catch! Now I am going to look two times a day to see what they are doing for the July 5, 2017 cruise. Maybe, I get my wish to go out or in Rome so I can get one direct flight home. Dream on I guess

Funny thing is the June 21st 2017 cruise shows Ephesus still as a port

I'm a newbie to Azamara. I don't think they want to start your July 5 cruise in Athens and end it there. I would think Dubrovnik, Messina, or Venice would be options. I'm anxious to see what that port will be (your final port and our originating port).

Azamara Journey is a Malta flagged ship, not US. She operates under Maltese maritime laws which is a complicating factor in a Turkish port. Staying on board, essentially our plan as well, can be subject to any Turkey-Malta maritime and security agreements.

We have never been on a ship of any flag where there is a compulsion to disembark in any port, in some countries where it's compulsory to complete immigration formalities this is usually done onboard the ship. Currently for Turkey any cruise passengers staying less than 48 hours there are no visa requirements.

We have previously stayed onboard ships in Turkish ports with no problem, not Azamara but it was a Maltese flagged ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have never been on a ship of any flag where there is a compulsion to disembark in any port, in some countries where it's compulsory to complete immigration formalities this is usually done onboard the ship. Currently for Turkey any cruise passengers staying less than 48 hours there are no visa requirements.

We have previously stayed onboard ships in Turkish ports with no problem, not Azamara but it was a Maltese flagged ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The issue is security, not disembarkation. In Kusadasi the ship is in Turkish waters and subject to their laws and security, and also Maltese maritime laws. Turkish security can come on board if they desire for "inspections" and "security" reviews of passengers. One is essentially no safer from the Turkish government on board or ashore. Erdogan placed the country under a "State of Emergency" for 90 days and suspended the EU human rights codicils of the EU charter - essentially martial law.

I am currently on my family holiday in Turkey about half an hour outside of Marmaris . Apart from a couple of police blocks between here and the airport you would not know about any of the political problems taking place . I've been to kusadasi on another cruise and it is beautiful and I think it would be a shame not to get off the boat . Istanbul is a completely different issue

I agree, it would be a dreadful shame to miss Kusadasi. It is a holiday resort with a completely different feel to Istanbul. The shopkeepers are charming (although they will try to sell you everything). This is the secular Turkey that we want to encourage. There were 50,000 British in Turkey during the attempted coup in the beach resorts. Holiday flights continue and after a few days of disruption Istanbul airports are back to normal.

The world is a terrible place sometimes, but mostly it is wonderful. Atrocities have always happened, but now we all know about them via the media. I agree about Erdogan, but he was at least elected. I do not agree with the political situation in many of the places I have visited.

It would not occur to me to cancel plans to go to Nice next year. I want to return to Germany and indeed I would even be happy to go back to the USA. We cannot let them win.

I share people's concerns about Istanbul and would not wish to travel there at this time.

Have always found that Azamara take the safety of their guests and crew very seriously so think there is no way they will embark passengers there next July. Suspect they are re jigging itineraries urgently so hope they are able to announce alternative ports soon to reassure booked guests.

For me Kusadasi is totally different and I would have no qualms in disembarking there at the moment. The people are friendly, charming and amusing and GREAT salespeople.

But for those who don't feel comfortable about it there is the option of having a 'sea day' and enjoying all Azamara has to offer on board

Edited by Spursgirl

I share people's concerns about Istanbul and would not wish to travel there at this time.

Have always found that Azamara take the safety of their guests and crew very seriously so think there is no way they will embark passengers there next July. Suspect they are re jigging itineraries urgently so hope they are able to announce alternative ports soon to reassure booked guests.

For me Kusadasi is totally different and I would have no qualms in disembarking there at the moment. The people are friendly, charming and amusing and GREAT salespeople.

But for those who don't feel comfortable about it there is the option of having a 'sea day' and enjoying all Azamara has to offer on board

Thank you for being the voice of reason on these boards! I couldn't agree with you more.

Thank you for being the voice of reason on these boards! I couldn't agree with you more.

I second that. Best wishes to all. I hope to return to Azamara next May, sailing from Nice again. We sail on Viking Sea from Athens (was supposed to be Istanbul) in September. It will be an interesting comparison.