Credible Threats to Public Squares and Docks in Istanbul and Antalya

ChucktownSteve

Last year we sailed from Istanbul. Forgein office advice was not to use public transport and so we cancelled our plans and simply stayed in the hotel overnight and used Azamara's transfers to the port. It was disappointing but the problems were only just coming to light and you have to weigh up the risk sensibly. We would not sail again from Istanbul at present.

However we are sailing in 11 days time, visiting lots of major European cities. Our cruise seems pretty full.

Monoco is one of our ports. Lottie kindly informed us that if the sea is rough we will dock in Villefrance rather than be tendered in at Monoco. Nice is one way, Monoco the other. We will decide where to visit if this happens on the day but we certainly won't stay on the ship.

We are also visiting Marseille and have booked a half day excursion to Aux en provonce, hopefully we will have time to look around some part of Marseille as well.

My husband visits Germany with work regularly, in fact he's just back from Dusseldorf.

We are looking forward to our cruise and will make decisions according to developments.

if we end up with more "sea days" we won!t be complaining, life is simply too short.

The issue is security, not disembarkation. In Kusadasi the ship is in Turkish waters and subject to their laws and security, and also Maltese maritime laws. Turkish security can come on board if they desire for "inspections" and "security" reviews of passengers. One is essentially no safer from the Turkish government on board or ashore. Erdogan placed the country under a "State of Emergency" for 90 days and suspended the EU human rights codicils of the EU charter - essentially martial law.

Not 100% sure of the point you are trying to make but I don't think as tourists, irrespective of nationality, that there is anything to fear from the Turkish government. Tourism is important to Turkey and enough damage has already been done to that industry.

Of course it is possible to make a case on moral grounds due to the human rights issue, but that's could be said of many countries that people are quite happy to visit.

We have visited Turkey many times and it's a beautiful country with friendly people so as other have said it would be a pity to miss it, but as with any port stop if one feels uncomfortable about getting off the ship then there will be no problem staying onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not 100% sure of the point you are trying to make but I don't think as tourists, irrespective of nationality, that there is anything to fear from the Turkish government. Tourism is important to Turkey and enough damage has already been done to that industry.

Of course it is possible to make a case on moral grounds due to the human rights issue, but that's could be said of many countries that people are quite happy to visit.

We have visited Turkey many times and it's a beautiful country with friendly people so as other have said it would be a pity to miss it, but as with any port stop if one feels uncomfortable about getting off the ship then there will be no problem staying onboard.

The point is that you are not "safer" on the ship moored in Kusadasi than you are on shore/land. The Turkish government can come on board for any reason. NOT that they will. Terrorists can attack from the sea as they did with the USS Cole and several commercial ships over the years. Not that they will. The possibility of just such an attack is why cruises lines started pulling out of Istanbul a year ago - there is no way to protect a ship from attack while moored in the Port of Istanbul since it is open to the Bosporus.

I too have been to Turkey at least a half dozen times going back nearly 30 years. Never felt threatened. Beautiful country and fascinating history. Great people. Also have 42 years working in intelligence and national security fields. Lived in the former Yugoslavia and Romania during their revolutions. Traveled in the former Soviet Union and across the former Warsaw Pact. One is as "safe" as the local government permits. In our case the "State of Emergency" and suspension of human rights are a serious signals which anyone traveling into a country under those auspices should take into consideration.

I would hate to miss Ephesus - one of the reasons we scheduled this cruise (the other being the Adriatic ports). The security situation - and I am more concerned about government stability than terrorism - is very fluid and changes day-to-day.

The attempted coup is the game changer.

Azamara is historically very slow in making any changes and even slower informing passengers. Know they are studying this stop and looking for alternatives before making any announcement.

Edited by Globehoppers

I share people's concerns about Istanbul and would not wish to travel there at this time.

For me Kusadasi is totally different and I would have no qualms in disembarking there at the moment. The people are friendly, charming and amusing and GREAT salespeople.

But for those who don't feel comfortable about it there is the option of having a 'sea day' and enjoying all Azamara has to offer on board

I am in agreement with this post. I am looking forward to our Kusadasi stop on our August 29 cruise. Ephesus is one of the greatest archeological sites in the world and I plan to see it.

Sent using Tapatalk

Globehoppers,

Understand where you are coming from, think we will all view this based on our life experiences and our own view on risk. Maybe coming to the same conclusion by a different route, sadly wherever in the world you travel if you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I am in agreement with this post. I am looking forward to our Kusadasi stop on our August 29 cruise. Ephesus is one of the greatest archeological sites in the world and I plan to see it.

Sent using Tapatalk

Ephesus is completely magnificent and I hope you enjoy visiting the site and the rest of your cruise very much

When I questioned Larry Pimentel about my July 2017 Azamara Quest cruise out of Istanbul, his response was, "We fully understand. You'll hear from us at the end of month or early next month on 2017 voyages. No worries!"

No worries meant we won't be be leaving out if Istanbul. And we WON"T have a cruise at all!

Our 14 night cruise to the Greek Isles and Amalfi Coast no longer exists and has been changed to a 7 day out of Rome.

I just got off the phone with an Azamara representative who checked and said one hour ago they released the change which had not been sent to our TA's yet.

According to him the SEVEN DAY cruise will now embark Rome, then go to Florence, Portafino, Monte Carlo, Saint Tropes, Marseille & Barcelona.

He said my TA will be notified of our options. SINCE I DID THIS ITINERARY TWO YEARS AGO ON OCEANIA MARINA, MY OPTION WILL BE CANCEL AZAMARA!!!!!!

Guess problem solved about embarking Istanbul and sailing Azamara.

I will cancel my 7/22/17 cruise as well if that's the case. I cannot understand why they didn't just swap out the two Turkey ports for two other ports. This is very disappointing.

I wonder if they'll honor the double upgrade deal on the 10-day cruise on 7/12/17 and what that revised itinerary looks like. That's a possibility for us. Well, we know it ends in Civitavechhia. That's not bad.

Here's something even funnier. At present, that 7-day cruise is the same price as the 14-day cruise, although the Azamara rep told my travel agent that it was "subject to change". In good faith, we booked very early for the double upgrade. Maybe they will honor that for the 7/12/17 10-day cruise. If not, bye bye Azamara.

Edited by hubofhockey

The 7/29/17 cruise is Barcelona to Rome - ugh!!!! Done that before too. They have not updated the 7/12 to 7/22 cruise yet.

I will be very upset if this company charges a cancellation fee, especially since they are charging the same price for a 7-day cruise as they did for the 14-day cruise. That's the new definition of a "Reimagined Price" :D

I wonder if they'll honor the double upgrade deal on the 10-day cruise on 7/12/17

Here's something even funnier. At present, that 7-day cruise is the same price as the 14-day cruise.

I doubt they'll honor the double upgrade based upon my observations. The promotion no longer exists, you're SOL.

Yeah I was on the phone with my TA, who while we were talking, she pulled up the new cruise on her computer. She laughed about the 7 day costing the same as the previous 14 day. She doubted it would remain that high.

As I booked a 14 night cruise I would expect the replacement offer from azamara to be the same even if this meant B2b - however I cruised from Barcelona last year and not sure I want to do it again . Looks like we too will be cancelling - any suggestions for alternative cruise lines welcomed

Edited by CruiseCrew123

Agree with Phil, we had a cruise cancelled for next year and we were happy with the replacement offered.

One thing to note that the UK t&c's give you more rights and protection in this situation than they have in the US or Canada.

I think those affected just need to wait and see what happens rather than speculate. I've had cruises changed in the past and have always found Azamara to be accommodating. Hope they come through for you on this.

Phil

At this point, I was pretty happy after the Azamara representative told me on the phone that they would not keep the $50 per person deposit that they are allowed to keep under the cruise contract. There's really not much they can do to accommodate considering they changed the entire itinerary.

checked some travel websites which seem to be a little more updated and the site still had the original 7 day cruise leaving Athens July 5th. But also had another 9 day cruise , which is probably the new cruise, leaving July 5th out of Athens with the same ports except for Ephesus and adding in Dubrovnik and two more ports and ending in Venice.

The cruise after leaving July 12th showing the 1st 4 days in Venice? that cant be right? So this cruise goes around Italy and ports in Rome

checked some travel websites which seem to be a little more updated and the site still had the original 7 day cruise leaving Athens July 5th. But also had another 9 day cruise , which is probably the new cruise, leaving July 5th out of Athens with the same ports except for Ephesus and adding in Dubrovnik and two more ports and ending in Venice.

The cruise after leaving July 12th showing the 1st 4 days in Venice? that cant be right? So this cruise goes around Italy and ports in Rome

What do you find for the Quest July 22, 2017?

What do you find for the Quest July 22, 2017?

Your cruise was originally going out of Istanbul on July 22nd right? 14 dats?

Its still on there, but there is another Cruise listed leaving out of Rome July 22for 7 nights

I copied and pasted this from a cruise webiste-

rome (civitavecchia) - italy | florence/pisa(livorno) - italy | portofino - italy | monte carlo - monaco | st.tropez - france | provence(marseilles) - france | barcelona - spain | barcelona - spain