Credible Threats to Public Squares and Docks in Istanbul and Antalya

ChucktownSteve

Currently I am in the camp of continuing to Ephesus. However, I understand that others would not feel comfortable.

If the ship diverts to another location, I vote for a less touristed island that would let us see how the Greeks and other locals vacation. I'd like a stop that is a little more off the beaten path.

Currently I am in the camp of continuing to Ephesus. However, I understand that others would not feel comfortable.

If the ship diverts to another location, I vote for a less touristed island that would let us see how the Greeks and other locals vacation. I'd like a stop that is a little more off the beaten path.

Agree with this, however fully understand that it takes a lot of planning to change ports and the decision would have to be made sooner rather than later.

UK Foreign Office advice is that the coastal areas are stable, but avoid areas of any protests or gatherings, tour operators have resumed flights to the tourist areas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I suspect it's very much going to be where can Azamara get into now in the time they have available. Some Greek islands have been no gos due to refugee challenges. Lots of cruiselines will be looking for alternative berths. The beauty of Azamara is they are small. Fingers crossed for a good outcome for everyone

Tourist charter flights from Western Europe to the Turkish vacation resorts by Thomas Cook, TuiFly, EasyJet, Transavia and many other airlines have already resumed. It's seems business as usual again for holiday makers. (With Istanbul being the one exception.)

Edited by florisdekort

Azamara is small but it may not be small enough. It might overwhelm some of the quaint islands.

A few years ago my Windstar ship had to divert to Serifos which was amazing, perhaps our favorite stop. We wandered the Chora and later went to the beach. http://serifos-island.com/eng/. We met families from Athens who were there on their vacations.

Another year Windstar diverted to Milos and it was reported as being marvelous. http://www.visitgreece.gr/en/greek_islands/milos

Want to brainstorm options?

Edited by MNgardens

We are probably out of step but as it's a port intensive itinerary we would not object to a sea day. Maybe some scenic cruising and one of Azamara's fabulous deck barbecues.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Riocca

Istanbul is our favorite city. We have always had a private guide. Our 3rd visit there we did on our own. It's sad that is in not safe this season to go there. I hope the cruise ships cancel for 2016. And things will stabilize in 2017. There is nothing like sailing into Istanbul at night. It is stunning! Book your 2017 now; you will love it there. Soooo much to see!✈️[emoji568]

In truth, I do want Ephesus, but if that does not work out I'd like something a lot less touristed than Mykonos and Santorini as a counterpoint.

I am booked on this cruise and am in agreement with this post.

Sent using Tapatalk

Edited by Mercruiser

We visited Kythera, Greece in the late 90's on a Med cruise. I remember it as being very quaint complete with white houses and blue roofs. I have not seem Kythera on any itineraries recently. Could be an option!

I was looking at places near Patmos:

Naxos http://www.naxos.gr/en/

Antiparos http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/antiparos/

Paros http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/paros/

In truth, I do want Ephesus, but if that does not work out I'd like something a lot less touristed than Mykonos and Santorini as a counterpoint.

Interesting suggestions.

I believe Azamara visited Paros earlier this summer, and based upon our experience many years ago it would be an excellent choice.

We have also been to Naxos and would love to see an itinerary that included it.

Istanbul is our favorite city. We have always had a private guide. Our 3rd visit there we did on our own. It's sad that is in not safe this season to go there. I hope the cruise ships cancel for 2016. And things will stabilize in 2017. There is nothing like sailing into Istanbul at night. It is stunning! Book your 2017 now; you will love it there. Soooo much to see!✈️[emoji568]

I am the opposite. If they don't change the origination port of Istanbul for the 7/22/17 cruise, we will cancel. We have been to Istanbul. It's a great port, but it can wait a couple or more years for us.

I think we are talking more about the August 2016 cruise. Right now may not be the time to visit any ports in Turkey. We are adventrous travelers, but don't want to take unnessary risks at the same time. We would be happy with an extra sea day

I am no longer in the camp of "let's go to Ephsesus." The purge of any people suspected of being against the leader has become enormous and strains all plausibility- 15,000+ educators could have in no way been plotting to overthrow the government. The issue is no longer saving a democratically elected government; it is now about consolidating power.

So, Azamara- please find me a beautiful unspoiled island where I can relax in the sun and enjoy the views.

I am no longer in the camp of "let's go to Ephsesus." The purge of any people suspected of being against the leader has become enormous and strains all plausibility- 15,000+ educators could have in no way been plotting to overthrow the government. The issue is no longer saving a democratically elected government; it is now about consolidating power.

So, Azamara- please find me a beautiful unspoiled island where I can relax in the sun and enjoy the views.

I definitely agree with you!

Gail

The stability situation in Turkey appears to be further deteriorating. Erdogan is moving quickly towards a more dictatorial approach. Academic travel has been banned, 15,000 education workers have been suspended from work, and all university deans have been asked to resign. This comes on the heels of the firings of "tens of thousands" of judges, civil servants, military and police.

State has also tweeted that a "demonstration" is schedule today in Adana in southern Turkey.

Security appears to be coming problematic. With Erdogan demanding that a cleric be extradited from the US to answer for his "participation" in the failed coup (nothing I can find corroborates that), US citizens may come under additional scrutiny and threat in Turkish localities.

At least for Americans it appears the situation is becoming less stable.

The 2016 visit to Kusadasi is still as scheduled. Here is the statement:

"As always, the safety of our guests and crew members is our top priority. At this time, we are not making any modifications to any upcoming sailings to Kusadasi, Turkey. We have one remaining visit for the year. Our Global Security team as well as local representatives are advising us that there are no difficulties in this area. Kusadasi is far removed from the hotbed of activity. However, we have alternative ports should this change, that is one of the advantages of the cruise lines. We will continue to closely monitor the changing situation and will contact guests or their travel agents should we make any modifications to upcoming itineraries. For 2017 visits, we will continue to monitor, and will make decisions as necessary. Again keeping guest and crew safe is a key consideration in any destination we travel.

Our next scheduled call to Kusadasi (Ephesus) is onboard the Azamara Journey, which is scheduled in August. All activities planned will be executed."

Very disappointing, especially in view of the State Dept warning. I guess all we can do is stay on board to let Azamara know what we think of this decision. I will certainly not spend a penny of my money in a country ruled by this dictator.

I am also very disappointed with this decision Bonnie. Looking at other cruise line itineraries on line, it looks like all the other cruise lines have pulled completely out of Turkey for the remainder of 2016. Based on the state warnings not to go there, I am completely surprised by this decision. We will be cancelling our excursion and Amazing night reservation and will also stay on board. Also, CNN just reported that Turkey is now under a three month state of emergency

Edited by golferwife

Bonnie,

Will Azamara waive the cancellation fee if we feel unsafe embarking on an Istanbul cruise even though AZ is "monitoring" the situation? My wife has been nagging me about not wanting to take this cruise. You know the adage, unhappy wife.....

Steve

Bonnie,

Will Azamara waive the cancellation fee if we feel unsafe embarking on an Istanbul cruise even though AZ is "monitoring" the situation? My wife has been nagging me about not wanting to take this cruise. You know the adage, unhappy wife.....

Steve

There are no more Istanbul cruises - that port was swapped for Athens quite a while ago. The debate is about Ephesus - which is just as safe to visit as any major US city. Thousands of tourists head out daily to the Turkish coastal towns and beach resorts from the major Western European airports. Lots of unnecessary panic on here which proves that the terrorists are achieving what they want. Very depressing.