Credible Threats to Public Squares and Docks in Istanbul and Antalya

ChucktownSteve

You are completely off. This has nothing to do with the terrorists, but with the political situation in Turkey, a country that has completely abandoned the rule of law. It is that what makes me feel unsafe, not the terrorists.

Our cruise was July 22, 2017 on the Quest. You're thinking about the 2016 cruise. Our cruise was still posted on the Azamara web site as of this morning however this evening the cruise isn't even showing at all. It is still showing on the online TA websites though.

It appears we won't need to cancel the cruise after all. :D

Trying to book excursions, the first two ports now show

Shore Excursions are not available for the Port/City you selected.

We are currently in the process of updating/gathering information for this Port/City and ask that you please visit our website closer to your sail date.

Sat Jul 22 Istanbul, Turkey

Sun Jul 23 Canakkale, Turkey

Mon Jul 24 Mykonos, Greece

Tue Jul 25 Santorini, Greece

Wed Jul 26 Crete (Chania), Greece

Thu Jul 27 At Sea

Fri Jul 28 Valletta, Malta

Sat Jul 29 Siracusa, Sicily, Italy

Sun Jul 30 Amalfi, Italy

Mon Jul 31 Sorrento, Italy

Tue Aug 1 Sorrento, Italy

Wed Aug 2 Porto Vecchio, Corsica, France

Thu Aug 3 Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy

Fri Aug 4 Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy

Sat Aug 5 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Very disappointing, especially in view of the State Dept warning. I guess all we can do is stay on board to let Azamara know what we think of this decision. I will certainly not spend a penny of my money in a country ruled by this dictator.

The three-month long "State of Emergency" declaration across ALL of Turkey is, at the moment, a game changer for us.

The crackdown so far according to Turkish media:

15,200 Education Ministry personnel sacked

21,000 teachers have had teaching licenses revoked

1,577 University deans fired

8,000 police removed

1,500 Finance Ministry staff fired

257 people in the Prime Ministers office fired

Any cruise ship port visit to Turkey during the 3-month long "State of Emergency" is not ideal. It exposes passengers to unneeded risks. Not the risks of a terror attack, rather risks from the disruption of local authority. The Turkish government is also putting some blame for the coup attempt on the United States for "harboring" Erdogan's rival Gulen and that places additional focus on US cruise ships to include Azamara despite the Malta registry. Its still five and a half weeks to Kusadasi and much can change. However, at the moment we will not leave Journey if Azamara/RCCL's decision is to moor as scheduled. Would prefer a sea day over the port call for security reasons.

Whilst travel to Turkey's holiday resorts remains "normal" from the UK this is because without a "no travel" warning from the Foreign Office tour operators will not allow cancellation without losing all of the monies paid. As this is now the U.K.'s peak season most would lose £1000's and there are a lot of unhappy people now.

Personally we have never been too worried about the threat of terrorism in Kusadasi, but the State of Emergency is a new dimension and raises lots of questions to which we don't have answers. I am sure Azamara have discussed this at length with their agents in Turkey who now are effectively state controlled and possibly under pressure to protect Turkey's tourist industry.

We have been to Kusadasi before, in fact a few years ago we nearly purchased property nearby, so we are perfectly happy to consider this a sea day, as regards the AzAmazing Evening we will make a decision later.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also expect the Global Security Team have this voyage under constant review. Yes they will take the views of their local agents who as Riocca rightly said may have to now give a certain view. But I bet they are not the only sources they take info from😚

This voyage will be under constant review not only now but once you are on board. I'd just get onboard and relax the intelligence the cruise line will have before every cruise will be far superior to what we all have

I am also on this August cruise and would happy if the visit to Kuasadasi was cancelled. I am certainly not rushing to sign up for the Azamazing evening. The majority of other cruise lines have already pulled out of Turkey for the rest of this season and I am suprised at Azamaras reluctance to do so. I would have thought that it would be better cancel and get an alternative port in place sooner rather than later. As an alterantive port I would favour Paros which was on the original itinerary before it was changed.

Bonnie, can you bring all these concerns to the powers that be at Azamara? Both Windstar and Celebrity have travel advisories on their website and have completely pulled out of Turkey for the remainder of 2016. Having sailed both those lines before, we are now quite frankly wishing we booked one of them for this trip

It's all very tricky and we are each trying to think things through.

For me, it is not the state of emergency per se. France is in a state of emergency too and I would go there in a heart beat. In Turkey's case it is being used as a way of silencing and intimidating anyone who opposes or might oppose the government.

To be honest, should the ship go to Kusadasi, I will take my private excursion to Ephesus. This stop was a huge draw for my traveling companion and the local people need to make a living. Probably rationalizing my decisions- I think the small private group will be safer than riding on a bus with the cruise line name on a sign.

For me, it is not the state of emergency per se. France is in a state of emergency too and I would go there in a heart beat. In Turkey's case it is being used as a way of silencing and intimidating anyone who opposes or might oppose the government.

To be honest, should the ship go to Kusadasi, I will take my private excursion to Ephesus. This stop was a huge draw for my traveling companion and the local people need to make a living.

I am in agreement with this post.

Azamara has until late August to change plans if need be. I don't see the point in getting all worked up about this now and pressuring Azamara management to make a decision any earlier than needed. A lot could happen in the next five weeks - good or bad.

Why I can empathize with the position 'I don't want to support a dictator' the flip side is 'I don't want to let a dictator keep 600 people from seeing one of the best archeological sites in the world and deny the local people a living.'

Sent using Tapatalk

Edited by Mercruiser

On another thread in the Europe port of call sections, a very interesting theory was posted:

post 24 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379137&page=2

"Turkey will likely stay a port in one way or another because of the VAT / Sales Tax. If a Mediterranean cruise does not leave the EU (i.e. it just goes to Italy, Spain, France, Greece etc), all purchases made aboard (in most cases) need to be taxed and those taxes are typically 19-23%. Either you bill this from the guests or sink the cost to the current prices. "

Anyone with experience on this issue?

On another thread in the Europe port of call sections, a very interesting theory was posted:

post 24 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379137&page=2

"Turkey will likely stay a port in one way or another because of the VAT / Sales Tax. If a Mediterranean cruise does not leave the EU (i.e. it just goes to Italy, Spain, France, Greece etc), all purchases made aboard (in most cases) need to be taxed and those taxes are typically 19-23%. Either you bill this from the guests or sink the cost to the current prices. "

Anyone with experience on this issue?

Montenegro is not an EU member.

Sent using Tapatalk

Turkey has just fired "thousands of judges" in addition to those people already purged.

Worse, Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister announced that the country is "temporarily" suspending the European Convention on Human Rights which covers things like detentions and searches.

Another Deputy Prime Minister tweeted that "life of ordinary people and businesses will go un-impacted, business as usual." Sure thing.

Doesn't bode well for visitors.

Bonnie,

Will Azamara waive the cancellation fee if we feel unsafe embarking on an Istanbul cruise even though AZ is "monitoring" the situation? My wife has been nagging me about not wanting to take this cruise. You know the adage, unhappy wife.....

Steve

Hi ChucktownSteve,

I hope you won't cancel. You're booked on a lovely cruise in July 2017.

And many things may change between now and then.

But if you or your wife are uncomfortable with your choice of booked voyage, the cancellation fee is $50 pp when >121 days from sailing.

Bonnie,

I hate to belabor this, but burying your head in the sand is not going to do anything. If Azamara thinks this will blow over in a few weeks or months, I am afraid you are sadly mistaken. I doubt anyone will be going to Turkey for a very long time once Erdogan implements his full plans.

Bonnie,

I hate to belabor this, but burying your head in the sand is not going to do anything. If Azamara thinks this will blow over in a few weeks or months, I am afraid you are sadly mistaken. I doubt anyone will be going to Turkey for a very long time once Erdogan implements his full plans.

If Azamara doesn't swap out those Turkey ports for that July 2017 cruise, we will definitely cancel. There are other cruise lines and other itineraries. You can keep my $100 deposit. We'll book a cruise on another line and just not have to worry about Turkey. I could have sworn that I saw a post from someone at Azamara saying that they WERE going to swap out the Turkey ports. Maybe I misread that.

If Azamara doesn't swap out those Turkey ports for that July 2017 cruise, we will definitely cancel. There are other cruise lines and other itineraries. You can keep my $100 deposit. We'll book a cruise on another line and just not have to worry about Turkey. I could have sworn that I saw a post from someone at Azamara saying that they WERE going to swap out the Turkey ports. Maybe I misread that.

Don't worry. They're closely monitoring the situation. :cool:

President Larry indicated that there would be some time of change that would make us happy the end of the month, early next month.

Don't worry. They're closely monitoring the situation. :cool:

President Larry indicated that there would be some time of change that would make us happy the end of the month, early next month.

The last few posts in this thread seem to contradict that, but I am going to wait until after Labor Day to cancel. Quite honestly, the originating port of Istanbul was never as important to us as the rest of the itinerary including Greek Isles, Amalfi Coast and that overnight in Livorno (we have never been to Cinq Terre). I suppose we are fortunate in that we already got to Istanbul and saw the city when it was calm and before Erdogan went really nuts (but just after his very provocative venture against Israel with that flotilla in 2010).

i was lucky and was there in June. I had a great two days of sightseeing.. a couple nice meals out and 2 in hotel.. I knew 6 months before cruise we would not sail from Istansbul . i still went and flew to Athens.. At that time i felt safe and the either was loaded with tourists. i also figure i can die in bed or anywhere.

Seabourn just canceled all remaining port calls in Turkey for the remainder of 2016, including Kusadasi and the evening concert in Ephesus, out of concern for the safety and security of their guests. Azamara seems to be the only holdout for reasons only known to them.

Seabourn just canceled all remaining port calls in Turkey for the remainder of 2016, including Kusadasi and the evening concert in Ephesus, out of concern for the safety and security of their guests. Azamara seems to be the only holdout for reasons only known to them.

It's called: Anticipation

Or maybe all the other cruise lines beat Azamara to the best available ports and there are no good ones left? :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Whether that area of Turkey is safe or not is immaterial really, it's whether Azamara's customers feel comfortable with that port stop. From the posts on here and on the roll call, admittedly from a small cross section of passengers, it would appear that many like us are not.

Maybe they are unable to replace the AzAmazing Evening and that's the deciding factor as if you choose not to go that will be your decision not Azamara's so there can be no complaints that one was not provided.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Riocca

Its very interesting that Az havent cancelled yet.

Whilst it does affect me this year on Seabourn, and we have been rerouted to other greek islands, my Az cruise is not in Turkey.

However, i am happy that Turkey is cancelled ,what i find more shocking are the amount of people on Seabourn who are deeply unhappy with the cancellation! And are complaining and raging about it.

I for one go on holiday for relaxation and comfort,that would not be happening if i had to visit Turkey at the moment.

I do really hope Az cancels Turkey for all those concerned, as it seems unnecessarily risky.