Food to take off ship

Mr. Gumphere

I have been searching for the discussion that because most of their ports are in u.s.a. that it was okay to take snacks off the ship. Maybe it was taken down, but really curious since that sounded feasable. Another passenger mentioned medical reasons for taking foods off ship. Does anyone know the outcome? We were always under the impression that it's a nono.

I always take food off the ship but nothing agricultural. Diabetics and hypoglycemics have a reason to have food with them. No meat cheese dairy or fruit. I take croissants, cookies muffins. IF when getting off and being spot checked I always tell them what I have and they have never once taken the snack away. So it depends on what you are taking ashore. The worst that will happen is your snack could end up in the trash bin.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Most folks think those cute dogs are looking for drugs. Some are, but the most are looking for food.

Yes, the cute little beagles are almost always food dogs rather than drug dogs. The Labradors can be food, drugs or explosive dogs.

Alaska and Canada have restrictions and they will be noted in the Patter and over the PA system as you disembark. See these recent threads: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2322740 and http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2323037.

Thanks very much for your responses. I like dogs but don't want to meet them on cruise -- (except perhaps the cute husky puppies that are rumored to be on Alaskan cruises). I've traveled extensively to Asia/India/Europe/Australia and have been through immigration lots of times. Lots of Beagle sniffs. I didn't take into consideration the fact that the ship is not US flagged or that it has been in international waters. Just thought - US to US... like getting off an Amtrak from New York to Washington... or Ketchikan to Whittier... whatever wasn't a problem. Thanks. No food will leave the ship with us. Not worth the possible trouble.

Very helpful responses. Thank you all.

Thanks very much for your responses. I like dogs but don't want to meet them on cruise -- (except perhaps the cute husky puppies that are rumored to be on Alaskan cruises). I've traveled extensively to Asia/India/Europe/Australia and have been through immigration lots of times. Lots of Beagle sniffs. I didn't take into consideration the fact that the ship is not US flagged or that it has been in international waters. Just thought - US to US... like getting off an Amtrak from New York to Washington... or Ketchikan to Whittier... whatever wasn't a problem. Thanks. No food will leave the ship with us. Not worth the possible trouble.

The US and Canada aren't the only countries that have these restrictions.

Many countries in the Caribbean and Central America don't allow you to bring food on to shore from the ship.

I always take food off the ship but nothing agricultural. Diabetics and hypoglycemics have a reason to have food with them. No meat cheese dairy or fruit. I take croissants, cookies muffins. IF when getting off and being spot checked I always tell them what I have and they have never once taken the snack away. So it depends on what you are taking ashore. The worst that will happen is your snack could end up in the trash bin.

Don't try this in New Zealand or Australia.

I guess you are not aware that some states in the lower 48 also have agricultural restrictions that prevent some items from even being driven through a state. Most people are not aware of this and the information can be found by just googling it.

DH and I stood watching the patrol with their dogs sniffing bags. Some people were freaking out with the dog coming their way, and they were frantically tossing food into the garbage cans. To us, that was worth at least $50 for an excursion just to watch that! Cruise lines should have that as a booked excursion "See how dogs confiscate food." It would be a sell out!:D

I completely agree! One of the most enjoyable mornings DH and I ever spent on a ship was in Ensenada, watching the fruit dog make the rounds of the people leaving the ship. :D

I completely agree! One of the most enjoyable mornings DH and I ever spent on a ship was in Ensenada, watching the fruit dog make the rounds of the people leaving the ship. :D

I see Schadenfreude is alive and well on Cruise Ships... :(

Don't try this in New Zealand or Australia.

Been there , done that, just declare and they will tell if it needs to be thrown away. That's why I stated to always tell them when asked.

Our experience also!

Been there , done that, just declare and they will tell if it needs to be thrown away. That's why I stated to always tell them when asked.

Our experience also!

So I guess you missed the announcements (in every port) over the PA (repeated several times throughout the day) stating not to take food into NZ/Aus (with a list of items prohibited including, "any prepared food"), and you missed both the notice in the Patter and the big sign at the gangway forbidding food to go off the ship? Maybe you didn't think they were serious?

So I guess you missed the announcements (in every port) over the PA (repeated several times throughout the day) stating not to take food into NZ/Aus (with a list of items prohibited including, "any prepared food"), and you missed both the notice in the Patter and the big sign at the gangway forbidding food to go off the ship? Maybe you didn't think they were serious?

So now you want to be the food police? Are you also the fashion police? Maybe you missed my statement that said always tell the truth when asked. In 40 years of travels I have always had no issues bringing non agriculture food with me and telling the truth. Because it offends you won't change what I do.

Just as an FYI the dogs in port are trained to smell fruit, they don't react to cookies or muffins or such.

Edited by cruzsnooze

So now you want to be the food police? Are you also the fashion police? Maybe you missed my statement that said always tell the truth when asked. In 40 years of travels I have always had no issues bringing non agriculture food with me and telling the truth. Because it offends you won't change what I do.

Just as an FYI the dogs in port are trained to smell fruit, they don't react to cookies or muffins or such.

That's why I usually don't answer questions on threads like this.

We are also always honest and aboveboard about asking and making sure what we take is allowed but it really isn't worth arguing on here.

You just go ahead and try to carry as much food as you want to into NZ/Aus. I'm sure the rules don't apply to you. Oh yes, I don't need to be the food police because there are plenty of real police with dogs and weapons waiting there on the dock. (I'm also impressed to find that you are an expert on dog noses, too.)

The problem with this is they can't "ask" every passenger. They hope everyone will do the right thing. They catch and prosecute when they can.

The amount of damage I one piece of tainted fruit or food can do to a nations agricultural industry is unbelievable.

It's a great pity people don't respect country laws that are there for a very good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need food police, the real ones have those cute little doggies and they do react to baked goods. And pemalties can be severe.

Sure you might tell if you are asked, but what about when you aren't asked?

You don't need food police, the real ones have those cute little doggies and they do react to baked goods. And pemalties can be severe.

Sure you might tell if you are asked, but what about when you aren't asked?

its not about being the food police, its about following rules and regulations set by countries to protect their agricultural industries. it shows respect for the country you are visiting. food from a ship could have been taken on board in various countries and kept in storage for ages, so you could be importing food from anywhere. Just because noone asked you doesn't make it right. These regulations are well advertised in Princess Patters.

its not about being the food police, its about following rules and regulations set by countries to protect their agricultural industries. it shows respect for the country you are visiting. food from a ship could have been taken on board in various countries and kept in storage for ages, so you could be importing food from anywhere. Just because noone asked you doesn't make it right. These regulations are well advertised in Princess Patters.

Agree.

Can't believe the attitude, I'll take it but be honest if I am asked, that itself is dishonesty.

But never ceases to amaze me how much some people want to try and get away with. Some have the attitude, if I don't get caught it is OK.:confused::confused:

Those who are in the 'I'll do what I want' crowd have never been under severe restrictions.

In Southern California we've battled many bugs, virus and fungi. In the '90s Vector Control couldn't eradicate the Mediterranean Fruit Fly. They resorted to crop dusting suburban neighborhoods with Malathion.

All outdoor stuff had to be dragged in or covered. All vents closed. No fans bringing air from the outside could be turned on. No air conditioning. In the summer, in Southern California. By the third time I got really good at covering the swing set.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One year boarding was stopped on the Paradise in Long Beach because a couple left the cruise on a sea day. Stuck in the Dome for 6 hours. Only water could be offloaded from the ship.

The ironic part of this--- the ship did the 3/4 day cruises out of Long Beach, foreign port Ensenada. A four hour DRIVE from Los Angeles.

Edited by SadieN

Those who are in the 'I'll do what I want' crowd have never been under severe restrictions.

In Southern California we've battled many bugs, virus and fungi. In the '90s Vector Control couldn't eradicate the Mediterranean Fruit Fly. They resorted to crop dusting suburban neighborhoods with Malathion.

All outdoor stuff had to be dragged in or covered. All vents closed. No fans bringing air from the outside could be turned on. No air conditioning. In the summer, in Southern California. By the third time I got really good at covering the swing set.

I remember it well. The helicopters going over. The smell of the insecticide. Not fun.

Among items you might think are allowed off the ship in Australia but aren't are honey and nuts. This includes honey you might have bought in NZ.

I have read a post by someone who had a Hershey bar with almonds confiscated because of the nuts.

You think these regulations are strict? My National Guard unit pulled their annual summer camp in South Korea in the late 80s as a part of Operation Team Spirit. We usually went in Feb/Mar. By the time we loaded out to come home, the spring thaw was happening and there was a huge amount of mud.

One of the most complex operations I've ever seen was the Corps washrack. There were several thousand vehicles that had to be was and undergo inspection by the agricultural teams. There were eight wash stations. There was a line a hundred vehicles long behind each station.

After washing, each vehicle was pulled onto a raised platform and the inspectors would walk underneath looking for mud. One small spot and you went to the end of the line and did it again.

The washrack operated 24 hours a day for four days.

Individuals also underwent inspection. I thought they weren't going to let me leave because I had only one pair of boots. They thought everyone should have 'mud boots' (rubber boots) and kept demanding I show them the second pair. Finally, I told them I was assigned to Corps HQ and they agreed I didn't need the mud boots.

And, no, we couldn't take any food onto the airplane coming home. Another inspection.

There was a major spraying during the 80s too. I remember it; even though my apartment building didn't have a backyard, it didn't have any kind of garage or carport so my car was parked on the street.

Agriculture is one of the biggest industries in California. We drove down I-5 just yesterday, all the way through the Central Valley to home...and you can't miss the signs that farmers had placed alongside the highway about the water crisis.

I imagine those dogs can be trained for just about any scent. How do you know the port police won't have a cookie sniffing dog? Why not find out what the regulations are for the ports you're going to. If pre-packaged, factory-sealed items are allowed, you can find a variety in just about any grocery store.

The night spraying you are referring to that was done to eradicate bad infestations was not solely in southern ca. WE had choppers flying all over in northern ca. We lived in the bay area from 60's thru 90's. I believe you could say the complete state was sprayed. The aroma when you opened the door in the mornins,was terrible.

Have a happy cruise...it won't be long now.