LIVE from our first Silhouette Transatlantic! Are we the youngest on the ship???

chicagopaul

I never thought of the length of the days....good point!! We just booked out first TA for 11/17 out of Rome because DH doesn't like flying west as much as east due to the jet lag. I don't really know because it doesn't bother me...thinking of doing the "pre-trip" and spending more time in Rome...I've been there before but there's so much to see and do....has anyone done this? And has anyone purchased air through Celebrity?

We are also booked on the 11/17 TA from Rome. This will be our 4th visit to Rome, and we will arriving at least a few days before the cruise. We always find plenty to do in Rome or you can take day trips out of the city.

We have used Celebrity's choice air for 3 of our cruises and they always have the best one way price.

Dave

Thank you for your ongoing review! :)

Not been tempted by a TA as yet as we feel we have plenty more cruises to do but we are liking our sea days more & more so you never know!

I just got off the Reflection last Saturday & know what you mean about crying, really did not want to get off her & we went to South Pointe Park to wave her off on her TA later on that day too! :D

I totally loved Sushi on 5.... there is plenty that we didn't end up doing on the cruise like drinking at the Martini Bar, don't know how we managed not to do that but hey ho! It's nice to have stuff to do for next time!

OMG, am loving this review and the pics and video...thank you! Am doing our first Celebrity and first Transatlantic from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale in November, so this is super entertaining and informative!

Would love more food pics :)

Now that you're in a few days, do you feel like you're getting your money's worth out of the drink package?

Paul, thanks for your live review even though I am on the ship. Nice to see what someone else thinks as well. It was a little chilly at the Lawn Club last night, good thing they had blankets. We are onto Murano tonight. See you at the Martini Bar.

Norma

I totally loved Sushi on 5....

I think I saw prices on each of the items at the Sushi on 5. Is the menu a la carte or is it like the other specialty restaurants, i.e. pay one surcharge for eating there.

Thanks-chris

Edited by cbradley1209

I think I saw prices on each of the items at the Sushi on 5. Is the menu a la carte or is it like the other specialty restaurants, i.e. pay one surcharge for eating there.

Thanks-chris

We eat in Sushi on 5 as we had complimentary vouchers for doing a B2B. However, if we had to pay it would have been a la carte pricing, as the menu you saw.

3015791db8006deb37fa02b71d736209.jpg

This was the bulleit infusion I had at the World Class Bar last night. It is Rye Whiskey infused with many different fruits from blue berries to oranges, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet it tasted great.....:):):)

Bob

I never thought of the length of the days....good point!! We just booked out first TA for 11/17 out of Rome because DH doesn't like flying west as much as east due to the jet lag. I don't really know because it doesn't bother me...thinking of doing the "pre-trip" and spending more time in Rome...I've been there before but there's so much to see and do....has anyone done this? And has anyone purchased air through Celebrity?

Hi,

We have used Celebrity's Choice Air several times. Best pricing by far. You need to monitor the site a few months out as the pricing seems to go down during the week. We were able to purchase business class for what premium economy is selling for-- Phoenix to Amsterdam. You also choose your own seats.

We are on the Silhouette May 14th cabin 1235. Anyone else on this thread, on this sailing? Kitty and Roland.

Thank you again for everyone who is reading the review. The weather today, Saturday, is surprisingly excellent. The mast grill is crowded for a change and many people are laying out by the pool. My routine continues of having "breakfast" at the pool bar. There is a group of 6 now that regularly meet in the morning at the pool bar. I love my routines.

Last night we had dinner in Lawn Club. We had the veal and shared the red snapper. Both were very good. I found the veal in Tuscan to have much more flavor (better cut of meat, more marbling that broke down well).

We are making an unscheduled stop tomorrow morning for a medical emergency. 10 points to the first person who can guess the location of the stop?

We ended up skipping the show last night. Tonight is the show Pearl which I think we may attend. There is also the love and marriage show in celebrity central which is always entertaining. I think we will try to make a point to see that. However, this evening will likely be beautiful so we may enjoy a couple cigars on deck that we brought.

One person we met on board decided to put together a LGBT party. He talked to the cruise director and they scheduled the party for 10pm in Quasar. The cruise director even had it placed in the daily. We easily has over 60 people in Quasar. I've never seen it so busy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our very first cruise was a TA on the silhouette and at 40 & 41 we were I'd say 2 of the youngest 10 people onboard... If not less!

I followed your last cruise so will be following this one eagerly as I know it will be great to follow,

We love the silhouette as it was where it all began, [emoji4] hope you have a great time which I'm sure you will! [emoji4]

We were 57 & 58 on our first TA and thought we were the youngest onboard. :eek:

We are also booked on the 11/17 TA from Rome. This will be our 4th visit to Rome, and we will arriving at least a few days before the cruise. We always find plenty to do in Rome or you can take day trips out of the city.

We've been to Rome before as well and like most world cities there's more than enough to see and do than can be done in a few days.

We have used Celebrity's choice air for 3 of our cruises and they always have the best one way price.

Dave

Hi,

We have used Celebrity's Choice Air several times. Best pricing by far. You need to monitor the site a few months out as the pricing seems to go down during the week. We were able to purchase business class for what premium economy is selling for-- Phoenix to Amsterdam. You also choose your own seats.

We are on the Silhouette May 14th cabin 1235. Anyone else on this thread, on this sailing? Kitty and Roland.

Thank you both.....I am greatly relieved because prices for one way NY to Rome were off the charts!! Business was quoting $14,000 for 2 people....ONE WAY. No way.:D

Went to the production show Pearl tonight. Much better than Life we saw a couple of nights ago. Not near as good as the shows we saw on this ship in December. Costume changes and set changes are non existent. It looks like another open night on the next cruise.

On the positive side, the food and service is excellent. That meant we didn't eat in Murano when it was 50% off.

Thank you again for everyone who is reading the review. The weather today, Saturday, is surprisingly excellent. The mast grill is crowded for a change and many people are laying out by the pool. My routine continues of having "breakfast" at the pool bar. There is a group of 6 now that regularly meet in the morning at the pool bar. I love my routines.

Last night we had dinner in Lawn Club. We had the veal and shared the red snapper. Both were very good. I found the veal in Tuscan to have much more flavor (better cut of meat, more marbling that broke down well).

We are making an unscheduled stop tomorrow morning for a medical emergency. 10 points to the first person who can guess the location of the stop?

We ended up skipping the show last night. Tonight is the show Pearl which I think we may attend. There is also the love and marriage show in celebrity central which is always entertaining. I think we will try to make a point to see that. However, this evening will likely be beautiful so we may enjoy a couple cigars on deck that we brought.

One person we met on board decided to put together a LGBT party. He talked to the cruise director and they scheduled the party for 10pm in Quasar. The cruise director even had it placed in the daily. We easily has over 60 people in Quasar. I've never seen it so busy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello -

It's been great fun reading your live cruise blog! I've read your posts in the past and think you are doing a wonderful job sharing your trip with the readers here. Congratulations on your first transatlantic cruise!! Your first crossing is always the most memorable, but if you love it you will definitely find yourself coming back for more!

My partner and I are mid 40s to early 50s. We have completed 11 cruises in 10 years, of which 3 were westbound crossings. More time has been spent on Celebrity than other cruise lines and we have enjoyed that the average passenger age skews older. Some wonderful passengers have crossed paths with us, but I do seem to remember thinking how much younger we were on our first transatlantic in 2012 versus a typical cruise experience. We have yet to do an eastbound crossing, but as other CC posters have already said, we love the flight over, spending a few days in a European port prior to embarking the ship, and then enjoying 25 hour days coming back to the USA.

Our favorite part of transatlantics are all the sea days!!! The most sea days we have had in a row is seven. We know we love them and could do even more. Recently, we had friends traveling on the maiden voyage of the NCL Bliss, a 13 (or 14 day) voyage from Southampton to Miami with no port stops. That sounded amazing!! However, the weather was not great for them so I did feel disappointed for them.

Thanks so much for your photos and videos... this has really inspired me to think about doing a live cruise blog in the future. Another poster commented that they want to see more food photos and I would second that notion! :)

Looking forward to cruising {vicariously} with you on your voyage. Hopefully we find ourselves on the same cruise ship in the future. Safe travels!

Please note as a woman, the lgbt party was 99% male...... Sad some feel they still want to be segregated after all the work the community has done to encourage inclusiveness.

I apologize in advance if you think what I am about to say is being too critical, but how does a person know if the people showing up for a party are going to be mostly male, female, or a mix???

I seriously doubt that there was any conscious, concerted attempt to segregate females from males. However, as an adult gay male, I have enjoyed when there was an event set up for LGBT folks on a cruise. In my cruising experience, I rarely see gay females. Does that mean that non-LGBT folks cannot come to the party? OF COURSE NOT... if you want to join in the fun, the more the merrier!! :)

Edited by vulcan1971

Please note as a woman, the lgbt party was 99% male...... Sad some feel they still want to be segregated after all the work the community has done to encourage inclusiveness.

Personally, I don't feel it's an intentional case of discouraging inclusiveness, but simply a numbers game where LGBT males often outnumber LGBT females in the overall ship's population. JMHO! :)

Approaching Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal ... estimated arrival in less than two hours.

Recently, we had friends traveling on the maiden voyage of the NCL Bliss, a 13 (or 14 day) voyage from Southampton to Miami with no port stops. That sounded amazing!! However, the weather was not great for them so I did feel disappointed for them.

I guess you meant the 10 day voyage of Norwegian Escape last October/November as the NCL Joy aka Bliss is not built yet. We were quite disappointed as the ship sailed the shortest route to Miami - only three days of good weather out of ten days. Norwegian didn't care about the passengers. They just wanted to bring the ship over with maximizing their profit (full prize cruise). No coffee pads available in the cabins as they forgot to order them. Only 12 (or less!) out of 24 draft beers in the brewery were available. Too many workers still trying to finish the ship. Even the "Behind the scene tour" for the most loyal "Platininum" passengers was canceled. At least we had perfect bar tenders at the Haven bar which helped a lot :D

TA before/after dry dock and maiden TA are always a challenge :mad:

It was the third TA cruise in a row for us. If you are interested in our pictures:

Celebrity Eclipse http://eclipse.transatlantic2014.com/

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas http://allure.transatlantic2015.com/

Norwegian Escape http://allure.transatlantic2015.com/

We will be on Silhouette on May 14 :) Thank you so much for your review ... we are getting so excited.

Edited by Rocky4ever