Luminae Questions

twopats

This is our first cruise on Silhouette in a suite and wonder how Luminae compares to the specialty restaurants. Is the food so superior from the main dining room that it is not worthwhile to pay extra for the specialty ones? Are they open for any other meals besides dinner? We are Elite Plus so I think there is a special place for breakfast and is that something to try as well?

Thanks so much for anyone's input.

Trish

That seems to be the general consensus. While the luninae food isn't exactly as locally sourced as described when the restaurants were rolled out over a year ago, the food and service is definitely superior to the MDR and maybe a little better than BLU. We will be in a suite again in a few months and have no desire to try the specialty restaurants as we have been to them all. But I would try them if you haven't already. I think the specialty restaurants and luninae operate at a similar quality.

Edited by pumpkin 11

Onboard enjoying luminae now. Breakfast daily, exceptional! Lunch on port days. Apparently there are only three lunch menus that rotate. ( not nearly enough on a trans) dinner is lovely. We still enjoy the lawn club grill but no longer dine in the other specialty restaurants because the atmosphere and service is so great in luminae. Enjoy!

Luminae is open for B, L (sea days only) and D.

On Summit, Normandie was a better experience for a couple of nights, but not by a lot. Luminae is outstanding, service wonderful! You will enjoy it.

Elite breakfast is not worth the effort, even when not in a suite.

Luminae breakfast was wonderful. If you are in a hurry, you should ask the waitstaff to move the process along. We enjoyed the leisurely pace.

Port days, B on 5 was available. I'm not sure what they are doing now.

Ken

We have done one cruise in a suite and dined in Luminae, one in aqua and dined in BLU and all the rest in the MDR. We have dined three times in specialty restaurants.

I thought Luminae was generally on the same level as the specialty restaurants, except for the menu options. They are more limited, but we still loved Luminae food and service.

BLU is better than the MDR, but not quite as good as Luminae.

We love Luminae and always look forward to incredible food and service. We no longer dine in the Specialty Restaurants, even though with the Penthouse they would also be complimentary. We feel we just can't do better than Luminae for breakfast and dinner. WE always sit at the same station as we like to get to know the staff. We do vary location for lunch.

Luminae Dining is one of the highlights on Celebrity. We have dined at just about all the specialty restaurants over the years. Luminae is right at the top.

Service, Quality all in one with a smaller venue.

To each their own, yet for us Luminae suits us wonderfully.

A welcome change that Celebrity has offered and kudos for their innovation.

Mirage

To us, Luminae is the best thing to happen to Celebrity in a long, long time. On our sea days last fall we ate there 3 times a day. I like the burger and I have it sans bun, with a larger portion of salad on the side (I ask for that special) and no fries----> saving for dinner's calories and some adult beverages.

We sat in the same general area and had the same wait staff.

While they might have less green options - broccoli, spinach, green beans, big lettuce salads - all you have to do is ask. I've noticed often that green beans might be more of a garnish (in all the restaurants) and maybe two florets of broccoli might be served. I like a lot more. All you have to do is ask.

At lunch a few times I asked for a big plate of lettuce greens and grilled chicken on top. I had them put a few other things on it and bring a dressing and it was fabulous. They will do whatever you want. We found customizing in Luminae even better than we had in Blu, and never did we find it good in the MDR.

It's just numbers.

The sommelier on Eclipse (it was Maggie on our sailing) was wonderful. She absolutely *made* our meals with her perfect wine selections.

Be sure to fill out a card early on in your cruise and later on. If they aren't in your cabin, get one at Guest Relations. They used to be called Attention to Detail cards. They're to write a person's name and what they're doing right and be specific. I know you can complain but I never do (nothing to complain about, I'm on a cruise with people doing for me all day long for crying out loud!!). The comments will affect the person immediately. You'll likely get a thank you from them and they'll tell you they just got an extra work shift off or a phone call back home or some free internet minutes or they're up for a raise. It's all good.

I take the time to fill out these cards at least twice on the cruise, considering it an honor to compliment the hard-working people who make my cruise so special.

Don't forget to try the Bourbon and Peaches signature Luminae cocktail. Mmmm.

If you have access to Luminae why would you want to eat in a mere speciality like Murano or even Blu (let alone the MDR). If its not on the menu just ask and if it is on the ship it is yours cooked as you would desire before you even knew you wanted it. Prehaps I'm being a bit OTT but Luminae is a simply wonderfull experience.:)

We have enjoyed Luminae on 2 14 day cruises since September. Found the food to be very well prepared, fish was better in Luminae than Muranos both times. Muranos cooked my fish a little more than I like it. Luminae will bend over backwards to please you; trout wrapped in bacon for dinner, you don't want bacon, no problem, sauce on the side, yes.

Want a Caesar salad, no problem; escargot, yes, right away.

They are open for breakfast every day and lunch on sea days. On port days you can go to Bistro on 5. Their lunch menus are limited but the sea food is great again. What we missed on the 2nd cruise with Luminae is brunch since we are not often up and ready for breakfast.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

On out upcoming cruise we have a Royal Suite and understand that Luminae is available to us. Our daughter and her husband are also traveling with us, we booked a balcony cabin for them. What is the charge for them to dine with us in Luminae for dinner? How about for lunch or breakfast? Can we get a package deal for them?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, did not see an answer in my search. ;)

Thanks so much,

On out upcoming cruise we have a Royal Suite and understand that Luminae is available to us. Our daughter and her husband are also traveling with us, we booked a balcony cabin for them. What is the charge for them to dine with us in Luminae for dinner? How about for lunch or breakfast? Can we get a package deal for them?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, did not see an answer in my search. ;)

Thanks so much,

I believe it's $20, $30, $50 per person for B/L/D. I don't believe suite guests should presume that they would be able to invite guests to each meal. A cut-rate package is even more unlikely.

I'll let ya know real soon:p:p:D:D

Thanks so much,

We have done one cruise in a suite and dined in Luminae, one in aqua and dined in BLU and all the rest in the MDR. We have dined three times in specialty restaurants.

I thought Luminae was generally on the same level as the specialty restaurants, except for the menu options. They are more limited, but we still loved Luminae food and service.

BLU is better than the MDR, but not quite as good as Luminae.

Agree with Papa's comments and will add this. We really enjoy Blu, especially the breakfasts, and even chose to dine once at Blu for breakfast rather than Luminae. Blu has healthier food and I am less susceptible to overdoing it than at Luminae. I thought the filet the first night at Luminae rivaled or bested Tuscan.

I echo most of the comments already posted.

A couple of extra points -

1) Assuming you're on a beverage (or premium beverage) package, expect your wine glass to be topped up before you have to even ask for it. This is apparently a big difference between Luminae and MDR dining.

2) You can get food that's served in the MDR in Luminae as well. For example, a shrimp cocktail appetizer, caesar salad, and any main course special of the night. In other words, you get access to the Luminae menu + MDR.

3) As others had said, they are extremely accommodating. While I didn't take advantage, I found out that the chef was from a certain region in India and was willing to make dishes if I wanted something different and special.

4) Can't decide which dessert to get? No problem, we'll get you both and take a taste of them. The service is MILES better - think a higher-end restaurant in New York or Paris. Not overly ornate, just very attentive.

Given the level of service and food (I was on Reflection), I ate just about every dinner at Luminae. I'd say eat there unless there is something special or different you want to try.

One last hint - when boarding, I asked the concierge if I needed to book a dining time with Luminae as I was on Select. She said "no, just turn up". Well, they were booked on the first night but were able to squeeze us in. My suggestion is to book dining for the first night when you arrive on board so you don't have to wait or go through any hurdles.

So, I asked on a different thread about reservations at Luminae. We are "booked" for early dining seating, Celebrity Suite on Solstice in January 2017. Do we have a "set" time for Luminae, show up whenever, or are reservations required each night?

Sorry, I'm just not getting it. On NCL, suite passengers do not need a reservation for their restaurant and just show up for seating.

Thanks for bearing with me ;)

With Luminae either just how up during their hours and you will be shortly seated or if you wish request with the hostess and they will accommodate you.

We did invite guests to dinner several times, and the charge was $50 per person.

One thing that we noticed about dining in Luminae that I did not like. The wine list I was given in Luminae is different from the wine list you are provided in the MDR.

There were almost no wines less than $50 a bottle on the Luminae wine list. I asked the wait staff for some help and they came up with a good wine for $37 that was good. The next day, I purchased a five bottle wine package, which then made is easier to order, since that is a separate list from which you can pick the wines.

I guess the assumption is that people wealthy enough to have a suite and dine in Luminae want more expensive wines. Makes some sense, but didn't work for me.

One thing that we noticed about dining in Luminae that I did not like. The wine list I was given in Luminae is different from the wine list you are provided in the MDR.

There were almost no wines less than $50 a bottle on the Luminae wine list. I asked the wait staff for some help and they came up with a good wine for $37 that was good. The next day, I purchased a five bottle wine package, which then made is easier to order, since that is a separate list from which you can pick the wines.

I guess the assumption is that people wealthy enough to have a suite and dine in Luminae want more expensive wines. Makes some sense, but didn't work for me.

When you dine in Luminae and if you have a premium beverage package - order any wine you want by the glass. No need to pay extra for a bottle. Pretty much any wine you want. Wine will be free up to the $14 (?) limit and then an upcharge if over (ie, for $16 glass of wine you would only pay $2). This is not the case with the Classic beverage package- just the premium. If you like good wine this will be very much worth it!

When you dine in Luminae and if you have a premium beverage package - order any wine you want by the glass. No need to pay extra for a bottle. Pretty much any wine you want. Wine will be free up to the $14 (?) limit and then an upcharge if over (ie, for $16 glass of wine you would only pay $2). This is not the case with the Classic beverage package- just the premium. If you like good wine this will be very much worth it!

Thanks for the information, but we NEVER purchase the beverage packages. We are elite and enjoy the happy hour. We rarely have alcohol before 5 pm. We normally spend about $250 on alcohol for a 14 day cruise. Also, we drink the ship's tap water and don't drink sodas.