Lawsuit filed over cruises to Cuba

Tee & Chilli

Good. I hope they win their discrimination case.

So, what will Cuba do to the people who are aboard the ship, and were natural born in Cuba? And how about the Captain and other officers? They will have all broken Cuban law.

What then? It's not only United States laws at work here, and Cuba would be within their rights to exact punishment for those breaking the laws on their own soil, even if their own laws are discriminatory.

So, what will Cuba do to the people who are aboard the ship, and were natural born in Cuba? And how about the Captain and other officers? They will have all broken Cuban law.

Ironic isn't it. :D This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. There had to be some kind of lawsuit filed in protest. What other options do they have?

This is CUBA's law, which has absolutely nothing to do with ANY U.S. law, including the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Obviously, the 1964 act cannot apply in any way once the vessel is past the 12 mile limit. Stupid lawsuit, cluttering American courts, which certainly have more pressing business.

This is CUBA's law, which has absolutely nothing to do with ANY U.S. law, including the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Obviously, the 1964 act cannot apply in any way once the vessel is past the 12 mile limit. Stupid lawsuit, cluttering American courts, which certainly have more pressing business.

Yes, it is Cuba's law. However, Carnival is selling this cruise that originates from a U.S. port. Consider this for a minute. If you were not allowed to buy any service or product provided by an American (or any other country) company, simply due to your country of birth, regardless of your citizenship, would that be fair? Can you imagine if this were extrapolated to race, or religion? I think that these cruise companies are a little ahead of the game here. There is much to be worked out before cruises to Cuba that originate from the U.S. become reality.

Meanwhile, in Cuba, the Castro brothers smoke their cigars and laugh at all the irate Americans who thought they would be able to finally cruise to Cuba. I believe that this is all about the Castro brothers, once again, trying to exert power over the U.S. and it's interests. If they really wanted these cruises to go there, they would find a way to get the "approval".

So for all the other cruiselines that cruise to Cuba with Europeans or Canadians

Can Cuban born citizens cruise on their ships to Cuba????

I'm not sure, but I think the law only applies to US citizens of Cuban birth.

This is a really interesting back and forth to read in a country where a sizable part of the population is voting for people who want to build border walls and ban the entry of all Muslims. (And act indignant that the rest of the world is horrified by this).

Or even when you consider that the family who controls Carnival would have been prevented from boarding certain international flights on US airlines to Arab countries as recently as 2011.

This is a really interesting back and forth to read in a country where a sizable part of the population is voting for people who want to build border walls and ban the entry of all Muslims. (And act indignant that the rest of the world is horrified by this).

Or even when you consider that the family who controls Carnival would have been prevented from boarding certain international flights on US airlines to Arab countries as recently as 2011.

If Carnival or any Cruise Line wants to take US citizens to Cuba, IMO it's all or none. If they can't, then they don't. The issue here is that the Cruise Lines are more about lining their income line than they are in doing the right thing. So if it's about money, then sue them and hit them financially. I hope the law suits flow in hard, heavey & fast. To a degree that they change their direction.

So for all the other cruiselines that cruise to Cuba with Europeans or Canadians

Can Cuban born citizens cruise on their ships to Cuba????

I imagine it is only US citizens who were born in Cuba, because the US is the only country that has an Embargo against Cuba. This is Cubans, small way of retribution (against the people, not the US govt).

US citizens with family in Cuba are regularly sending money to their relatives to improve their lives.....I hear stories about that everyday at work.

If Carnival or any Cruise Line wants to take US citizens to Cuba, IMO it's all or none. If they can't, then they don't. The issue here is that the Cruise Lines are more about lining their income line than they are in doing the right thing. So if it's about money, then sue them and hit them financially. I hope the law suits flow in hard, heavey & fast. To a degree that they change their direction.

I agree but it shouldn't be up to the cruise line to make that decision. Any US agreement should have been all or nothing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Maybe Fathom should take the Cuban born citizens there and then they can get arrested by Cuban authorities. At least Fathom wouldn't be discriminating, right?

What about the port authority? Will they be denied boarding in the first place? If this is Cuban policy, isn't that just like every other port of call causing an issue when they don't have proper documentation?

This should have been an all or nothing agreement...Carnival ALLOWED Cuba to dictate what would happen...Carnival should've said ok well sorry you lose out on all that tourism profit because you refuse to agree. That's a slap in the face to those who are now US citizens but were born in Cuba. Their mother country still gets to dictate what happens in their life? I don't think so. It's just wrong.

This should have been an all or nothing agreement...Carnival ALLOWED Cuba to dictate what would happen...Carnival should've said ok well sorry you lose out on all that tourism profit because you refuse to agree. That's a slap in the face to those who are now US citizens but were born in Cuba. Their mother country still gets to dictate what happens in their life? I don't think so. It's just wrong.

I totally agree.

Yes, it is Cuba's law. However, Carnival is selling this cruzise that originates from a U.S. port. Consider this for a minute. If you were not allowed to buy any service or product provided by an American (or any other country) company, simply due to your country of birth, regardless of your citizenship, would that be fair? Can you imagine if this were extrapolated to race, or religion? I think that these cruise companies are a little ahead of the game here. There is much to be worked out before cruises to Cuba that originate from the U.S. become reality.

Agree with you! My DH is from Cuba I am not we both are American citenzens

I am allowed to go on the cruise he is not.

That is ridiculous!!!

Edited by Isasprings