Specialty dining price increase

ladyaero

Just noticed that the Princess website is listing the cover charge for Sabatini's and Crown Grill as $29 instead of $25, but I couldn't find any threads about it here on CC. Anyone know when this went/goes into effect? Just curious. I wonder if it was to bring it a little closer to the price for Share, so it doesn't look so out of family.

Oh well, got the 3 for Free booking, so dinner is on Princess either way! ;-)

Someone reported earlier today that the links to the menus on the website were not working. Guess they were loading the new ones with the new prices just then. Crown Grill, Sabatini's, Sterling Steakhouse and Bayou Cafe all say $29 now.

You would think that Princess would have taken the intermediate step of first posting the menus without prices as I'm sure the rollout of the increase will be staggered over a couple weeks, changing on a turnaround day of each ship--or possibly on either repositioning cruises or the first sailing from each ship's summer homeport. For now we can just standby until the first reports of the price hike from on board.

Edited by fishywood

Just noticed that the Princess website is listing the cover charge for Sabatini's and Crown Grill as $29 instead of $25, but I couldn't find any threads about it here on CC.

Princess did it without CC approval? Shocking!

Crown Grill is very over-subscribed on Regal and Royal.

When we were on Regal, they were doing 200 cover per night.

I really thought the whole experience suffered.

Crown Grill on Regal/Royal has fewer seats than on grand class ships.

Price increase seems like a good idea to me.

I find it very interesting that quite a few of the ships, if not all, go out completely sold out. That said, they raised the tipping amount, the specialty dining costs, the cruise cost itself, the coffee card price. Hmmm. Is it greed or necessity. Oil prices are down.

Is this Princess or Carnival causing the increases. For many years now we have been avid cruisers and truly have enjoyed it, but with retirement years coming I wonder how much cruising we will be able to afford.

Oh My and I was looking so forward to a lot of cruising.

I have no problem with this increase as our experiences in the specialty venues has been excellent. I'm sure some will howl about it, but to me it is quite simple, this expense Is purely voluntary, and if you don't want it then don't buy it!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I have taken 24 cruises with princess,but this nickel and dime tactics are lowering the quality of the cruise line.

I usually leave a $10.00,but I won't any longer.

I might be better of booking oceania cruises since almost everything is included in your cruise fare.

We went out a couple of weeks ago for an anniversary dinner. The steak house suppose to be a 5 star but IMHO it was 4 at best. The steak was a 5 star quality, the service and the rest of the dinner was a 3. Anyway it cost with no wine just plain ice tea $160 + tip for the two of us.

A $4 increase no problem. :cool: I like CG.

framer

We were on the Island for 5 weeks this fall and both specialty restaurants were barely busy whenever we walked past. The service was wonderful. We ate there at least once a week and felt so sorry for the waiters - what a loss of tips for them. There was only one night when maybe six tables were full. Most nights one or two of the staff was sent to Horizon Court to work.

The increase won't stop us but it may for others. You hear so many people say "why should I pay extra when I can get food for free other places" I'm sure they have never experienced those melt in your mouth steaks, otherwise they would be booking.

This new price still pales next to some of the $50 per person specialty restaurants on Celebrity. I have no issue with that small increase and will happily pay it!

Yes, but only the uninformed actually pay that on Celebrity. They offer 3, 4 & 5 night packages, the ultimate dining plan and discounts pretty much every night.

We were on the Island for 5 weeks this fall and both specialty restaurants were barely busy whenever we walked past. The service was wonderful. We ate there at least once a week and felt so sorry for the waiters - what a loss of tips for them. There was only one night when maybe six tables were full. Most nights one or two of the staff was sent to Horizon Court to work.

The increase won't stop us but it may for others. You hear so many people say "why should I pay extra when I can get food for free other places" I'm sure they have never experienced those melt in your mouth steaks, otherwise they would be booking.

The food is not free at the other venues as you have paid for it in your fare.

The paid dinning fee is on top of your already paid MDR fee.

Our last few cruises we found Crown Grill mostly empty. I guess the newer and bigger ships are filling up but when we sailed Crown, Grand, Star, and Coral there certainly wasn't a crowd evident on the nights we ate there.

We have never, ever not been able to eat in the specialty dining establishments any time we have wanted. It always bewilders me when people speak of not being able to get a reservation? This includes our experience on the Regal.