NORO on Nautica

PaulMCO

All hand sanitizers are effective, to some degree, against noro. Whether that degree of effectiveness is significant or not is something else (mainly due to loosening of surface tension and removal of virus to things like napkins). Not to parse things too finely, but Princess says the sanitizer has "a formula created to target Norovirus", there is no claim that the formula actually is effective against Noro. This, plus government inertia, is why many product claims (and not just sanitizers) are allowed to be out there for quite some time.

Is there anything that can be used on skin (hands, in particular) that IS tested as "effective" against Norovirus, similar to the testing for agents used on surfaces?

Of the CDC list, for example, are any of them safe for hand use?

What do/would/did you/your family use for hands when cruising or any time there is a concern about Norovirus?

Many thanks.

Is there anything that can be used on skin (hands, in particular) that IS tested as "effective" against Norovirus, similar to the testing for agents used on surfaces?

Of the CDC list, for example, are any of them safe for hand use?

What do/would/did you/your family use for hands when cruising or any time there is a concern about Norovirus?

Many thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, and I've been browsing the FDA website and links for the last few weeks, there is nothing that the FDA has approved as effective against noro in a hand wash or rub (sanitizer). Most of the things on the EPA list for surfaces are quite harsh, even the one or two "wipes" that have made the list recently (and are only available to hospitals, etc). Many of those items on the EPA list require special license to use.

Hand washing is by far the best, and what we observe. My personal belief is that if using a hand sanitizer, you want to wipe it off with a disposable towel or napkin before it dries, as the "skin softeners" they add to make them a little more gentle on skin will act as soap does to loosen the virus so they can be removed to the paper towel.

Funny enough, I just had a mild case of noro last week, after visiting a McD's for the first time in quite a while (trying to eat healthier :) ). The biggest thing when you think there may be a noro threat, is don't eat anything with your hands. Cut that burger up and use a fork, and use a fork for the fries.

Edited by chengkp75

To the best of my knowledge, and I've been browsing the FDA website and links for the last few weeks, there is nothing that the FDA has approved as effective against noro in a hand wash or rub (sanitizer). Most of the things on the EPA list for surfaces are quite harsh, even the one or two "wipes" that have made the list recently (and are only available to hospitals, etc). Many of those items on the EPA list require special license to use.

Hand washing is by far the best, and what we observe. My personal belief is that if using a hand sanitizer, you want to wipe it off with a disposable towel or napkin before it dries, as the "skin softeners" they add to make them a little more gentle on skin will act as soap does to loosen the virus so they can be removed to the paper towel.

Funny enough, I just had a mild case of noro last week, after visiting a McD's for the first time in quite a while (trying to eat healthier :) ). The biggest thing when you think there may be a noro threat, is don't eat anything with your hands. Cut that burger up and use a fork, and use a fork for the fries.

Thanks very much. I was hoping I was just overlooking something.

And thanks for the hint about using the hand sanitizer (which is good for some other organisms, at least) and then wiping hands to get <whatever> off.

Hadn't quite thought of it that way, and letting it air dry en route to be seated, etc., doesn't help that way.

Now it also makes more sense to have some of that in "wipe" form, even if not directly effective in killing Noro.

Thanks for this and for all of your generous help with so many questions we've all had. :)

The Captain has reported and announced that a number passengers and crew have contracted Noro. Exact numbers are not known but this will be reported to the CDC as required -- stated the Captain.

With 2 stops in India, plus 250 passengers leaving and 150 new passengers in Mumbai -- certainly plausible.

Any update on passenger numbers? Mom and I are sailing out of Athens on the Nautica next Thursday.

Thanks, K

Any update on passenger numbers? Mom and I are sailing out of Athens on the Nautica next Thursday.

Thanks, K

Sorry -- Luxor and Petra the last two days -- no time for internet.....

Latest is ship still code red -- last case reported yesterday at 8pm.

72 hours without a new case is the guideline to standown from Code Red.

The ship was Safaga Egypt with Luxor and Valley of kings excursions which lasted 13+ hours. Crew was not idol and did a deep cleaning of the ship while at port.

Besides the issue with Noro -- many passengers have colds, coughs etc. During the last tour on the way back from Luxor (a nearly 5 hour trip) -- it sounded like an orchestra with the hacks and coughs and sneezing.

Edited by PaulMCO

Thanks, K

Latest numbers:

40 cases of passengers (they do not announce crew and a number have been sick)

7 passengers in quarantine

Last case was at 1100h today (1 hour ago)

Sorry -- Luxor and Petra the last two days -- no time for internet.....

Latest is ship still code red -- last case reported yesterday at 8pm.

72 hours without a new case is the guideline to standown from Code Red.

The ship was Safaga Egypt with Luxor and Valley of kings excursions which lasted 13+ hours. Crew was not idol and did a deep cleaning of the ship while at port.

Besides the issue with Noro -- many passengers have colds, coughs etc. During the last tour on the way back from Luxor (a nearly 5 hour trip) -- it sounded like an orchestra with the hacks and coughs and sneezing.

No need to apologize. Sounds like an amazing couple of days. I appreciate the updates and hope that you don't catch the plethora of viruses that you are being exposed to.

How did you find security in Egypt? Valley of the Kings is one of my 'bucket list' sites, but I've been hesitant to plan a trip. My son told me when he was 4 that he wants to visit Ancient Egypt (he is 15 now).

Cheers, K

No need to apologize. Sounds like an amazing couple of days. I appreciate the updates and hope that you don't catch the plethora of viruses that you are being exposed to.

How did you find security in Egypt? Valley of the Kings is one of my 'bucket list' sites, but I've been hesitant to plan a trip. My son told me when he was 4 that he wants to visit Ancient Egypt (he is 15 now).

Cheers, K

Found the security impressive (alot of) and annoying because of it.

Would pick the time where temps are more manageable -- it was over 100F.

Latest counts --

43 passengers

8 are confined

Last case at 11am yesterday.

Two passengers were caught walking outside - despite quarantine.

IDIOTS!!!!

Today in Haifa, so at least away from 3rd world countries where quests can bring this in. The staff had a meeting when we were in Egypt to be vigilent for additional cases as this was expected.

We board the Nautica on Thursday and I have been advised by my TA that they have checked with Oceania and there is no norovirus onboard!

What is the position please?

Thank you

Does the head office not know what is going on with the ship? Are they trying to fool us. For what reason. Do they not have to report to the CDC? Quite scary!!! :confused::confused:

Does the head office not know what is going on with the ship? Are they trying to fool us. For what reason. Do they not have to report to the CDC? Quite scary!!! :confused::confused:

Where is the ship, it's in Egypt. No need to report to CDC, that is a US organization.

Where is the ship, it's in Egypt. No need to report to CDC, that is a US organization.

Correct the ship never ever touches a US port. However the Captain and staff are following CDC guidelines. That includes quarantine, sanitizing etc. At Petra with nearly everyone off the ship they did a complete sanitizing of the entire ship.

However there is Noro on the ship and while the numbers are dropping it is not completely gone.

Edited by PaulMCO

Correct the ship never ever touches a US port. However the Captain and staff are following CDC guidelines. That includes quarantine, sanitizing etc. At Petra with nearly everyone off the ship they did a complete sanitizing of the entire ship.

However there is Noro on the ship and while the numbers are dropping it is not completely gone.

So that makes it OK for Oceania to not tell the truth about Noro on the ship to new passengers. It may be legal, but not right..

Mom got the same answer when she spoke with someone in Miami (Oceania rep) a few days ago. She was a passenger on the Fed 12th Riviera cruise that got cut short. Thankfully did not get sick on or after the cruise.

However, these very useful reports from the ship are helping us to prepare like bringing a laptop and extra reading materials in case library and computer room are unavailable.

She shared similar stories of people breaking quarantine and then arguing with crew members.

Cheers, K

So that makes it OK for Oceania to not tell the truth about Noro on the ship to new passengers. It may be legal, but not right..

Where does it say I think it is OK??

Mom got the same answer when she spoke with someone in Miami (Oceania rep) a few days ago. She was a passenger on the Fed 12th Riviera cruise that got cut short. Thankfully did not get sick on or after the cruise.

However, these very useful reports from the ship are helping us to prepare like bringing a laptop and extra reading materials in case library and computer room are unavailable.

She shared similar stories of people breaking quarantine and then arguing with crew members.

Cheers, K

The Computer center is open. The keyboards are regularly sanitized with wipes.

At first the books at the Library were off limits. Then they allowed checkout 1 hour per day when they had staff to wipe down each book.

Edited by PaulMCO

Have been on board since Hong Kong. It does seem like this was picked up in Mumbai; and in my opinion we picked up quite a few people with poor manners and poor behavior too.

On the first half of this cruise, before Noro, I did not observe people trying to touch things they shouldn't on the buffet, or touch multiple items (bread, fruit) before selecting one. After Mumbai, before we went into 'code red' I saw many people do exactly that; touch many items before picking the one they wanted. I avoided these types of items that were still self serve after that. These are the people who have helped spread this throughout the ship. Many people coughing and sneezing openly throughout this second half of the trip too, spreading colds around.

We also observed a few people refuse to use the hand sanitizer before going into the DR or the buffet - one repeat offender is the bridge instructor.

It is a shame as the second half of our cruise has been tainted by this ongoing plague... It's the little things like not being able to get bar snacks... or having bleach stains on your clothes... that make the overall experience less than it could be (and was on the first half).

Do I blame "O"? absolutely not. The crew is working overtime trying to get this under control. We are having a good time in spite of this. I blame selfish guests who don't follow quarantine, won't wash their hands, and think that they do not have to follow common sense rules. Unfortunately, you get these entitled people on every cruise line.

Sorry, had to vent.

One could ask if this more to do with location , I.e. Mumbai and Egypt , lots of shore excursions maybe all day , eating ashore and using toilet facilities ashore are more likely to be the case of gastro problems , we have been to Egypt twice and both times had,problems even with a stay in the Four Seasons !

Mumbai is often quoted as being less than a sanitary location , India is currently trying encourage people ( their own population ) to take more care where they go to the loo, and to encourage the use of proper toilets.

But as said above , I have often been amazed how often you,see people on board do everything possible to avoid the use of the provided sanitizer hand gel , you can almost hear the snobbish attitude ( oh my hands are clean I washed them just now) forgetting what they have touched on route cabin to dining room ! Soon to be our fourth cruise with Oceania , oh heck on Riviera to. ,!!

Edited by S2000ap1

One could ask if this more to do with location , I.e. Mumbai and Egypt , lots of shore excursions maybe all day , eating ashore and using toilet facilities ashore are more likely to be the case of gastro problems , we have been to Egypt twice and both times had,problems even with a stay in the Four Seasons !

Mumbai is often quoted as being less than a sanitary location , India is currently trying encourage people ( their own population ) to take more care where they go to the loo, and to encourage the use of proper toilets.

But as said above , I have often been amazed how often you,see people on board do everything possible to avoid the use of the provided sanitizer hand gel , you can almost hear the snobbish attitude ( oh my hands are clean I washed them just now) forgetting what they have touched on route cabin to dining room ! Soon to be our fourth cruise with Oceania , oh heck on Riviera to. ,!!

Agree 100% with you and makai7.

We were on tour in Egypt and saw one of the passengers going for the green salad at the buffet.

Oceania did have an extensive number of people touring the Taj with both a precruise and an overland segment - at least 70. Plus if you include the new guests joining the ship another 130 passengers who likely spend more than 1 day in Mumbai - you have a good stew of virus and germs ready to be introduced to the ship.

Again saw several passengers enjoying a fresh green salad in Delhi at the hotel. Upsets my stomach to think of this.

Today a group of 4 people went to Horizons for tea - totally bypassing the sanitizers - my politically correct wife yelled out for all to hear - "you forgot to use the sanitizer." The people just kept walking....

Luckily two days free of new cases.

Edited by PaulMCO

These organisms , humans , despite the unalienable fact that they are, obviously think they are a cut above the rest and immune from contamination by other organisms in the big wide world , so clean and fastidious ! Aren't they lucky !