NORO on Nautica

PaulMCO

Agree 100% with you and makai7.

We were on tour in Egypt and saw one of the passengers going for the green salad at the buffet.

Oceania did have an extensive number of people touring the Taj with both a precruise and an overland segment - at least 70. Plus if you include the new guests joining the ship another 130 passengers who likely spend more than 1 day in Mumbai - you have a good stew of virus and germs ready to be introduced to the ship.

Again saw several passengers enjoying a fresh green salad in Delhi at the hotel. Upsets my stomach to think of this.

Today a group of 4 people went to Horizons for tea - totally bypassing the sanitizers - my politically correct wife yelled out for all to hear - "you forgot to use the sanitizer." The people just kept walking....

Luckily two days free of new cases.

Explain the salad thing. I don't get it as I haven't traveled to that part of the world.

This is true elsewhere as well -- in more primitive areas, but not necessarily "primitive". You get the same warnings in latin american areas.

Did they wash the salad properly? You are also warned against having any fresh fruit that you cannot peel yourself.

Then again, just drinking the water can be a problem ... or brushing your teeth with tap water.

Mura

Explain the salad thing. I don't get it as I haven't traveled to that part of the world.

Anything that is leafy or has a skin on it is bad news.

First the fact that animal or human fertilizer is used extensively in the 3rd world -- Means that lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers are immediately contaminated. Second is how well are these are washed in the hotel and of course the water that is used.

That is why Safety says -- stay away from salads and certain fruits in these countries.

Unfortunately, it goes way beyond the proper washing of hands. You need to wipe down tray tables, arm rests, controls and seat back pockets on the plane as well as anything you touch on the ship. You can wash your hands 50 times, touch something that an infected person has touched and wipe your eyes or nose and the virus has been effectively spread.

But it starts there. Oceania is one of the few major cruise lines that DOES NOT require passengers to sanitize their hands before going into a dining area the first 48 hours of the cruise, let alone boarding the ship when they either first get on or come back from an excursion. Princess is another one. That's just inviting trouble.

But it starts there. Oceania is one of the few major cruise lines that DOES NOT require passengers to sanitize their hands before going into a dining area the first 48 hours of the cruise, let alone boarding the ship when they either first get on or come back from an excursion. Princess is another one. That's just inviting trouble.

When we were on the Nautica back in Nov 2015, the security personnels manning the ramp to go back onto the ship insisted that you use the sanitizer prior to climbing the ramp. Not sure if that was enforced consistently though...

That's good. At least it's a start. But did they require you to sanitize your hands the first 48 hours of the cruise before going into a dining area? That's the issue. Most folks with a virus only stay contagious for the first 48 hours. That's why it's so important to get folks to sanitize their hands those first few days.

It has been discussed here ad nauseum (and proven by competent posters) that hand sanitizer are not fully (if at all) effective against Noro. It is effective against other organisms but if you are trying to prevent the spread of Noro, do not rely on this as the cure -all. It gives people a false sense of security. Use of sanitizer is a good thing but not the solution for Noro.

Thorough washing of hands is what is most effective against Noro.

Can we please do away with the hand sanitizer obsession and instead wash our hand PROPERLY with soap (and stop touching food by hands)?

It has been discussed here ad nauseum (and proven by competent posters) that hand sanitizer are not fully (if at all) effective against Noro. It is effective against other organisms but if you are trying to prevent the spread of Noro, do not rely on this as the cure -all. It gives people a false sense of security. Use of sanitizer is a good thing but not the solution for Noro.

Thorough washing of hands is what is most effective against Noro.

Can we please do away with the hand sanitizer obsession and instead wash our hand PROPERLY with soap (and stop touching food by hands)?

Agree that this subject has been discussed here ad nauseum, but, IMO, hand washing isn't the answer either. It is a good (and important) start but you must also be aware that you cannot touch your eyes, nose or mouth after touching anything in public areas. As I've posted too many times, there are products that kill norovirus on surfaces, so, after washing your hands, you may want to wipe down menu's, salt and pepper shakers and items in your cabin. The same is true on airplanes (actually, especially on airplanes). The surfaces are rarely cleaned - the "pocket" on the seat in front of you may have had dirty diapers or used Kleenex in them, the arm rests and trays are also filthy.

IMO, there isn't one "fix" but you can lessen the odds of getting sick on a cruise ship.

When we were on the Nautica back in Nov 2015, the security personnels manning the ramp to go back onto the ship insisted that you use the sanitizer prior to climbing the ramp. Not sure if that was enforced consistently though...

We were on the Riviera on a Meds cruise from Barcelona in 2015 and we were quite concerned that the crew was not too diligent (compared to some other cruise ships) in being insistent on passengers using the sanitizer. And you know what, several months later the ship encountered three norovirus outbreaks from Nov/Dec 2015 - to Mar/Apr 2016. We realise that sanitizers has been claimed not to get rid of norovirus, but just wondered if that "lax" attitude was just a coincidence for the ship to face the several norovirus outbreaks soon afterwards?

Am also curious that your username is IPOH. It does not have anything to do with Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia, does it? I doubt it's got anything to do with Canada, unless there is a Malaysian restaurant by that name! Lol.

Edited by Cahpek

We were on the Riviera on a Meds cruise from Barcelona in 2015 and we were quite concerned that the crew was not too diligent (compared to some other cruise ships) in being insistent on passengers using the sanitizer. And you know what, several months later the ship encountered three norovirus outbreaks from Nov/Dec 2015 - to Mar/Apr 2016. We realise that sanitizers has been claimed not to get rid of norovirus, but just wondered if that "lax" attitude was just a coincidence for the ship to face the several norovirus outbreaks soon afterwards?

Am also curious that your username is IPOH. It does not have anything to do with Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia, does it? I doubt it's got anything to do with Canada, unless there is a Malaysian restaurant by that name! Lol.

We had only done 3 Oceania cruises and on our latest one with the Nautica in Nov 2015, the security personnel were quite insistent on the use of the sanitizer. I don't recall whether we experienced the same on our cruises with the Marina. However, once you get back onboard, the crew were definitely not insistent with sanitizer use.

Sorry for the off-topic....yes, my favorite little town in SE Asia with some of the best street food and friendly residents...

The simple answer to your question is - NO.

Oceania has had the same "lax" attitude for 12 years on all of their ships without a single Noro until some recent issues (last year and this year Riviera).

There simply HAS to be another answer to your question.

PS You didn't have any problems in. 2015 with the "lax" attitude - did you :)

No Lax attitude -- just sick people.

Tomorrow is disembarkation for most passengers.

Ship still under Code red - as last case was yesterday 4/26.

48 persons have had GI issues

1 remains in quarantine.

Overall ship did a good job to contain this. Issue has been (as always) non-cooperative passengers who continue to use their hands on food and also leave quarantine.

Oceania has had the same "lax" attitude for 12 years on all of their ships without a single Noro until some recent issues (last year and this year Riviera).

I did. On both of our cruises on the Riviera I started getting a scratchy throat, which eventually turned into Bronchitis, 7 days after boarding. Funny thing is, it takes 7 days for that particular virus to start showing itself. The same thing happened to me 7 days in on the 12 day Princess cruise, who has the same policy as Oceania, in early 2015. Sanitizing ones hands before going into any eating area, let alone when you come onboard the first 48 hours of the cruise just makes good business sense. But, like you said, Oceania hasn't changed its policy in 12 years so why should they start now. Personally, I really don't care anymore because Holland America has better itineraries, just as good of food (especially since Norwegian took over) and they take personal hygiene seriously, especially during those first 48 hours.

I....Personally, I really don't care anymore because Holland America has better itineraries, just as good of food (especially since Norwegian took over) and they take personal hygiene seriously, especially during those first 48 hours.

Unless I missed some MAJOR news, Holland America is owned by Carnival, not Norwegian.

No problems with Noro on that cruise.....but curiously enough, few months down the line, that same ship had THREE NOROVIRUS incidences. Doesn't that make you think a bit???!!!! Surely, you are not so blindly loyal to Oceania that you cannot bear to think of even questioning it, can you? No offence meant but for me, no cruise line company is perfect and beyond criticism. Everyone of them have their strengths and weaknesses, every cruise line have room for improvement. What I find some people seem to "adhere" to a certain cruise line like they support some Football Team or worse, some kind of "cult". They appear to get upset when someone questions it - truly, there isn't a need to, is there, to feel like that? It is only a cruise line, after all, no more, no less.

Edited by Cahpek

No problems with Noro on that cruise.....but curiously enough, few months down the line, that same ship had THREE NOROVIRUS incidences. Doesn't that make you think a bit???!!!! Surely, you are not so blindly loyal to Oceania that you cannot bear to think of even questioning it, can you? No offence meant but for me, no cruise line company is perfect and beyond criticism. Everyone of them have their strengths and weaknesses, every cruise line have room for improvement. What I find some people seem to "adhere" to a certain cruise line like they support some Football Team or worse, some kind of "cult". They appear to get upset when someone questions it - truly, there isn't a need to, is there, to feel like that? It is only a cruise line, after all, no more, no less.

Plus 1.

What is your explanation for the fact that from 2002 when Oceania was founded until very recently there were no incidents of Noro on any of their ships despite their "lax" attitude toward hand sanitizes? Ditto for many other ships sailing on the seas. For example, they have never enforced the sanitizers on any of the several Silversea cruises I have taken without any Noro issues (ditto for many other lines).

I never said that Oceania is perfect; if you had been on these boards longer than you appear to have been then you would know that I've had my issues with Oceania and I stated them here.

Sanitizers are quite useful but they are not the cure for Noro, nor is the lack of their enforcement the cause for Noro.

That is all that I am saying - please do not put words in my mouth.

What is your explanation for the fact that from 2002 when Oceania was founded until very recently there were no incidents of Noro on any of their ships despite their "lax" attitude toward hand sanitizes? Ditto for many other ships sailing on the seas. For example, they have never enforced the sanitizers on any of the several Silversea cruises I have taken without any Noro issues (ditto for many other lines).

I never said that Oceania is perfect; if you had been on these boards longer than you appear to have been then you would know that I've had my issues with Oceania and I stated them here.

Sanitizers are quite useful but they are not the cure for Noro, nor is the lack of their enforcement the cause for Noro.

That is all that I am saying - please do not put words in my mouth.

Doesn't look like much has changed since 2012. I remember outbreaks on O in Asia but can't remember when. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36231150&postcount=76

Enbarked Nautica today and we are still restricted by 'gastroenteritis' under the CDC guidelines.

Before we left for our cruise I enquired of Oceania if norovirus was onboard and was informed it was not!

Everyone appears to be using hand sanitizers.

Enbarked Nautica today and we are still restricted by 'gastroenteritis' under the CDC guidelines.

Before we left for our cruise I enquired of Oceania if norovirus was onboard and was informed it was not!

Everyone appears to be using hand sanitizers.

SHAME on OCEANIA !!!! :o:o:o

Doesn't look like much has changed since 2012. I remember outbreaks on O in Asia but can't remember when. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36231150&postcount=76

We’ve gone down this road before but let’s do it again for the sake of completeness and accuracy.

Below is a list of reportable cases of Noro on all cruise lines (from the CDC website):

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2016

Note – 2016 is incomplete at this point.

Looking at reported cases of Noro starting in 2002 (when Oceania begun operating) until present, Oceania has 5 cases of reported cases of Noro (NB – only ONE case from 2002 till 2015).

As I do not have the exact number of cruises the line has operated from its inception, I will have to make some guesses and estimates.

Assuming that the average cruise is 14 days long, then the R ships sail about 26 cruises per year. That is 78 cruises/year for the R ships times 14 ½ years equals 1134 cruises.

If we now add the O ships, we can add another 234 cruises for a total of 1368 cruises (approximately – this is an estimate only).

Thus if Oceania has 5 reported cases of Noro out of 1368 cruises (some cases from 2016 are not yet included in the report) then we come out with a very respectable incidence rate of 0.36 %.

By any measure, 5 out of 1368 is a very small number.

Of course, the recent “rash” of Noro cases on Oceania – especially on the Riviera – cannot and should not be ignored. By the same token, however, neither can or should the prior record of Oceania be ignored. I do not see anything drastically different in what Oceania is doing today compared to what they did in the past to explain the recent high incidence of Noro on their ships. If someone does, please point it out.

In conclusion, to base the incidence of Noro on Oceania taking into account only the recent history is not only unfair but also inaccurate. For the more complete picture of true incidence of Noro on Oceania one needs to consider the recent as well as the past history. This of course only reflects the incidence of Noro – it says nothing about the causes of Noro.

JMO