Breakaway: Bermuda new transport policy with first Bermuda sailing

Charles4515

Hmmmm....... Why go to Bermuda?

Good point :D

We are sailing BA later next month, subscribed & watching - perfectly fine staying onboard (didn't get off last 2 runs on the Bahamas itinerary when docked at Port Canaveral & barely hit the pier/terminal area for a quickie look & re-provisioning) ... could just do a little bit at Dockyard & checkout Clocktower mall & the shops. BDA transport get their way, tourism dollars take a hit with boycotts as fewer pax bothered going into Hamilton and/or St. George - tourism might lose out. Local officials wanted the cruise ship business but funneling ship pax to use taxis is a foolish move if those long lines get worst, especially with more ships calling ... bring in more buses and/or increase the frequency of bus/ferry services.

This could backfire as words get spread around. Not a win-win situation here.

Good point :D

We are sailing BA later next month, subscribed & watching - perfectly fine staying onboard (didn't get off last 2 runs on the Bahamas itinerary when docked at Port Canaveral & barely hit the pier/terminal area for a quickie look & re-provisioning) ... could just do a little bit at Dockyard & checkout Clocktower mall & the shops. BDA transport get their way, tourism dollars take a hit with boycotts as fewer pax bothered going into Hamilton and/or St. George - tourism might lose out. Local officials wanted the cruise ship business but funneling ship pax to use taxis is a foolish move if those long lines get worst, especially with more ships calling ... bring in more buses and/or increase the frequency of bus/ferry services.

This could backfire as words get spread around. Not a win-win situation here.

Totally agree! We were planning to take ferry over to St. George, hit some shops, liquor stores, stop for lunch, hit the bakery. If I have to spend an extra $10 per person to buy pass I won't go. Have done the shops at Dockyard many times so I will stay on the ship. So instead of spending money in St. George I will keep it in my pocket. If others decide to do this look how many businesses will lose out.

I was in BDA this week and they tried that on me and I said can't I just buy individual passes as needed at the ferry, at the bus terminal etc. They said yes. So I didn't buy their pass, didn't need it, and saved plenty of money that way.

You could only use paper bills to buy passes and tokens at the locations that sell them. Not on the ferry or bus. You can use exact change, coins to get on the ferry or bus for $5 a ride. They don't accept currency on the ferry or buses.

The most cost effective way depends on what you are planning to do. That is different for everyone.

I refused to buy the pass and was told I could pay $5 cash on the ferry and I did just that no problem. This was April 12 2016 so as recent as it gets...then I bought a bus token in Hamilton for $4.50

So it takes $5 in quarters per person to take the ferry?

We are planning some time in St George and Hamilton to shop and then one day exploring the beaches. Not sure what type of pass is better for that. Maybe ferry over and taxi back and then taxi for the beaches.

Edited by wndmom

We cruise to Bermuda once or twice every year. This change will certainly cause us to rethink even going into Hamilton to shop. We have always used the buses and found them to be wonderful. I guess Bermuda will get a lot less of our money in June this year. I hope they abandon this policy.

I refused to buy the pass and was told I could pay $5 cash on the ferry and I did just that no problem. This was April 12 2016 so as recent as it gets...then I bought a bus token in Hamilton for $4.50

Glad that you refused. Also good to hear that the ferry took paper cash. Thanks for reporting back.

Totally agree! We were planning to take ferry over to St. George, hit some shops, liquor stores, stop for lunch, hit the bakery. If I have to spend an extra $10 per person to buy pass I won't go. Have done the shops at Dockyard many times so I will stay on the ship. So instead of spending money in St. George I will keep it in my pocket. If others decide to do this look how many businesses will lose out.

You would rather stay onboard the ship rather than spend an extra $20.00 for a pass to St. George? I think that the cost of the pass is far, far less expensive than taking excursions. We are going to Bermuda next month on Breakaway and want to see Harbour Nights and go to St. George. The cost of transportation is still so incredibly cheap, even with the increase. We wouldn't dream of staying onboard because of $20.00!

Hmmmm....... Why go to Bermuda?

Indeed. We have booked twice. Cancelled both times. First time the transportation workers were going to strike and basically shut down transportation (they did resolve it finally, but not until after we had cancelled). The next time was the dock crumpling and needing length repair, causing the ships to tender instead of docking. I didn't want to tender for the several days there. I've given up on Bermuda.

You would rather stay onboard the ship rather than spend an extra $20.00 for a pass to St. George? I think that the cost of the pass is far, far less expensive than taking excursions. We are going to Bermuda next month on Breakaway and want to see Harbour Nights and go to St. George. The cost of transportation is still so incredibly cheap, even with the increase. We wouldn't dream of staying onboard because of $20.00!

It's only cheaper if you are using your pass to travel to more than one place in the same day, i.e. going to St. George during the day and Harbour Nights that same night. To spend an extra $10 a person to walk around St. George is not worth the extra $40 for a family of 4 or $50 for a family of 5. Been there, done that many times and would have rather put that extra $40 or $50 on the purchases I was planning to make. Maybe if it was my first time in Bermuda I would spend the extra money.

It's only cheaper if you are using your pass to travel to more than one place in the same day, i.e. going to St. George during the day and Harbour Nights that same night. To spend an extra $10 a person to walk around St. George is not worth the extra $40 for a family of 4 or $50 for a family of 5. Been there, done that many times and would have rather put that extra $40 or $50 on the purchases I was planning to make. Maybe if it was my first time in Bermuda I would spend the extra money.

You can do it for 50 cents per person more than in the past, not $10 per person. Pay $5 cash rather than the $4.50 token for the ferry ride to St. George and then buy tokens for the return trip when you're in St. George. If you don't want bother buying tokens while in St. George, just pay $ 5 cash again for the return ferry trip. That would make it only $1 more per person than you would have paid last year.

$ .50 or $ 1 per person more ...not $ 10 per person more !

Edited by njhorseman

You can do it for 50 cents per person more than in the past, not $10 per person. Pay $5 cash rather than the $4.50 token for the ferry ride to St. George and then buy tokens for the return trip when you're in St. George. If you don't want bother buying tokens while in St. George, just pay $ 5 cash again for the return ferry trip. That would make it only $1 more per person than you would have paid last year.

Thank you for posting the correct information! I just don't understand people that quibble about spending a relatively small amount of money to get out and enjoy the very place that they spent thousands on a cruise to get to. Why even bother going to Bermuda!

I would bring the quarters. The ferry does not always accept bills. They did not when we sailed.😊

had no problem paying on ferry with $10 Bill US for 2 people.

Had no problem paying for two tokens at Hamilton Bus Terminal with $10 bill and getting two tokens and $1bill change.

All US denominations. No quarters carried or mentioned at all.

This was last week

Thank you for this. I am used to buying tokens and not sure if they take paper money on ferry was thinking of taking all those quarters or having to buy the daily pass. I have no problem paying $.50 more. Much easier to pay with dollar bills.

Thank you for posting the correct information! I just don't understand people that quibble about spending a relatively small amount of money to get out and enjoy the very place that they spent thousands on a cruise to get to. Why even bother going to Bermuda!

Really not wrong information if I bought the one day pass versus using tokens.

The book of 15 paper tickets (rides) has been the best deal ($25) from our prospective for years now.

Seems like we could purchase these books together and share them. My mom and I will need 8 tickets. Would someone be interested in the other 6-7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The book of 15 paper tickets (rides) has been the best deal ($25) from our prospective for years now.

Seems like we could purchase these books together and share them. My mom and I will need 8 tickets. Would someone be interested in the other 6-7?

The ticket books aren't sold at the Dockyard and haven't been for a couple of years. You have to go to Hamilton or St. George's to buy them.

A book of 14 zone tickets costs $37.50, not $25.

Edited by njhorseman

You know you will not be able to buy these at the dock? You will have to separately take a ferry into Hamilton in order to buy the booklet.