Protocol for reserving a table in the cafeteria

NCCruiseguy111

In the buffet we both get our food and then sit down after saying roughly where we are going to sit, if we were waiting for others we would wait outside. If no-one reserved tables and if everyone sat down when they had their food and left when finished surely there would be more than enough tables.

I just put my pool towels on the chairs in the oceanview the night before and leave them there all day. That should easily reserve my seats :)

:):p

LOL, what do you ever do about keeping your spot at the pool?? :rolleyes:

We don't reserve after the first day when we have our carry-ons. For that first lunch, we take the first available table we see and that general area becomes our spot for the cruise. When we get to the buffet, we split to get our food and then whoever gets back first picks a table and sits. Only once have we waited a few minutes and then discovered the other sitting at a different table nearby.

On the subject of MDR breakfast, can we get a table just for two of us or will we be put on a large table ? I only ask because I am not a great morning person and wouldn't care for small talk that early.

Absolutely....I cannot speak in complete sentences till after my second cup! :D

And if you ask once, the next t about the time you go they'll probably remember and seat you automatically. I discovered on my last cruise that no reasonable request is denied if you ask. Eg: We were on board on Easter Sunday and Cafe Baccio had all kinds of chocolate bunnies and eggs on the counters. I asked if I could have one for my room steward since she was going out of her way for me and I wanted to give her something "special" for Easter (aside from the daily gift I left on the bed)....well, the guy behind the counter said "NO"....so I did a bad thing and took 2 small eggs and went to lunch at Cafe Bistro. Our waiter asked about the eggs and I told him about the bunny that I wanted and why. This is what he said; "WHO said 'NO' to you Madame" and off he went to get me a big bunny!!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

There is no protocol - you can't "reserve" a table.

OD

There's reserving and then there's reserving.

If someone means reserve so they can come back later I'm with you.

If someone means pick a spot and then go get food that's different. On my last cruise I was in a group of six, and with many six person tables by the Windows taken with only 2 people each (my pet peeve) we went to get a table first and then food.

What waiters did was to lean chairs up against the table while they fetched our drinks and we got food.

There's reserving and then there's reserving.

If someone means reserve so they can come back later I'm with you.

If someone means pick a spot and then go get food that's different. On my last cruise I was in a group of six, and with many six person tables by the Windows taken with only 2 people each (my pet peeve) we went to get a table first and then food.

What waiters did was to lean chairs up against the table while they fetched our drinks and we got food.

So couples can't sit by the window?:rolleyes: My husband and I did this every morning. Do you "reserve" the six person table or do all of you show up at the same time? If you reserve the table then that is my pet peeve.

The problem I see here is that the folks thinking they "reserved" that table didn't really take any action that would indicate, to most people, that the table was "taken".

An otherwise empty table with a couple of rolled up napkins with silverware MIGHT just be the servers leaving that there for all most people would know...or something the prior occupants had gotten, didn't use and left there...Sort of like finding a table with one empty water glass on it--I'd assume the table was unoccupied and the crew just hadn't collected the empty yet.

The only way to really know someone is currently using the table is if, at best, there is a person there or, at worst, some indicia of personal items--a book, a tote bag, sweatshirts hanging over the chairs...I see those, I assume that someone is returning...

For me, I seldom eat in the buffet. One time on Oceania Marina, my wife, upon hearing they served lobster in the buffet, said "let's eat there one night". We did--awful experience...While I was waiting for my lobster to be broiled (cooked to order), she was finishing her food...When I got to the table, she got up to get seconds, etc. We never got to sit down and eat together. I don't cruise to eat in a rushed fashion with self service.

The MDR is great for breakfast. NEVER a problem getting a table for two if we want one--or sitting with others if we want that...

I do miss that they no longer have it open on port days for lunch--but, most of the time, we just use another option--like eating in port! Or at one of the smaller venues...

If we DO eat in the buffet, we do NOT get a table until we have our food. We let the rest of the party know on which side of the buffet or in which area we will try to get a table and the first one ready to sit will grab a table...If enough people who are not ready to sit down and eat grab tables, it causes a hardship on those who already have their food and might then find no open tables...

As to the OP, were it me, I'd be tempted to tell those people who showed up claiming to have left silverware on the table "No, when we got here, this table was completely empty!"

First off, good for the OP for giving up the table.

When my wife and I go, one will sit at the table while the other gets food, then we reverse the roles. We don't keep the table longer than we need it.

We are as likely to sit at a table for 6 as we are one for 2, depending on location. That doesn't mean you can't join us.

And if I see personal items on a table, or the chair tilted against the table, then I keep looking. If I see silverware or glasses, I may think the table hasn't been bussed yet and may sit there.

I save tables all the time if it's extremely crowded.

Of course, my butt is usually sitting there as my wife is off getting her food and then I'll go off and get mine. If it's not crowded, we'll both get our food and seek out some place to sit. MOST of the time it's not an issue.

As for a specific "protocol", there is none. People who place silverware on tables to just save it are rude. UNLESS they've been sitting there previously, eaten something at that table already, and then gone off to get a second helping.

Generally, I tend to ignore people who say, "oh we're saving this for someone who'll be here eventually." Well, I'm here now. So I will sit now. :)

We usually leave our drinks and sunglasses on the table while going to get our food. We have tried getting our food first and then looking for a table but if it's at all busy it can be a bit frustrating. We try and eat at off times on sea days to avoid the crowd but on port days that's not usually an option. I say leave something in addition to your silverware. Your sunglasses, a book...your beach towels (haha). We also always leave right after we eat unless it's at 2:00 and the place is half empty.

LOL.... Love this!!

I just put my pool towels on the chairs in the oceanview the night before and leave them there all day. That should easily reserve my seats :)

:):p

I cant believe that no has fessed up to being the one that I see on every cruise that saves their table with their cane being placed across the top of it. I hope none of those germs from the Ferrule contaminate your table.

Speaking of moving along after you're done; on my Silhouette trip in January there was a group of 4 ladies playing bridge every day for hours in the buffet, including embarkation and disembarkation day. They sure liked to play cards. I find this quite inconsiderate. If anyone reading this ever participates in this type of activity please reconsider. A busy buffet is not the place for this.

We always get our drinks first and leave them at the table. That has always been enough for other people to get the idea that a table was taken.

I've seen someone leaving their half full drink on a table, walked away to get their food and the staff taking the drink off the table thinking someone was finished. When they came back their table was snatched up and they were pissed at the people that were seated, but they walked away to another empty table.

We always get our drinks first and leave them at the table. That has always been enough for other people to get the idea that a table was taken.

I've seen someone leaving their half full drink on a table, walked away to get their food and the staff taking the drink off the table thinking someone was finished. When they came back their table was snatched up and they were pissed at the people that were seated, but they walked away to another empty table.

I had that happen once too when I was sailing solo. After that, I put the chair up at an angle. It was at a two-top table next to the window and out of the way so I knew no one would be passing by it to trip over it.

Stuff happens...you learn the more you cruise and have to remind yourself you're on vacation. ;)

As a single/solo cruiser I have two laminated notices to say I have gone for drinks or food as on my first so lol cruise I left my drink and dirty plates on the table when I went to get something and it was cleared by the time I came back. When I cruised with mum & dad we work the rely system.

The problem I see here is that the folks thinking they "reserved" that table didn't really take any action that would indicate, to most people, that the table was "taken".

An otherwise empty table with a couple of rolled up napkins with silverware MIGHT just be the servers leaving that there for all most people would know...or something the prior occupants had gotten, didn't use and left there...Sort of like finding a table with one empty water glass on it--I'd assume the table was unoccupied and the crew just hadn't collected the empty yet.

The only way to really know someone is currently using the table is if, at best, there is a person there or, at worst, some indicia of personal items--a book, a tote bag, sweatshirts hanging over the chairs...I see those, I assume that someone is returning...

For me, I seldom eat in the buffet. One time on Oceania Marina, my wife, upon hearing they served lobster in the buffet, said "let's eat there one night". We did--awful experience...While I was waiting for my lobster to be broiled (cooked to order), she was finishing her food...When I got to the table, she got up to get seconds, etc. We never got to sit down and eat together. I don't cruise to eat in a rushed fashion with self service.

The MDR is great for breakfast. NEVER a problem getting a table for two if we want one--or sitting with others if we want that...

I do miss that they no longer have it open on port days for lunch--but, most of the time, we just use another option--like eating in port! Or at one of the smaller venues...

If we DO eat in the buffet, we do NOT get a table until we have our food. We let the rest of the party know on which side of the buffet or in which area we will try to get a table and the first one ready to sit will grab a table...If enough people who are not ready to sit down and eat grab tables, it causes a hardship on those who already have their food and might then find no open tables...

As to the OP, were it me, I'd be tempted to tell those people who showed up claiming to have left silverware on the table "No, when we got here, this table was completely empty!"

Bruin thanks for your thoughts. I wrote the original post and agree with you completely. I'm over it, and to your point the rolled up silverware on the middle of the table next to salt and pepper shakers didn't indicate to me 'reserved' but I really didn't want an argument. Much more observant now however. Thanks to all for weighing in. Still having a blast and just 3 days from the Panama Canal.

I guess we are those people. We often set down our silverware, juice, sea pass,

glasses etc while we get our hot food.

Since I cruise solo, I do the same thing. I unwrap the silverware and put the napkin and the silverware down, along with my drink. On one cruise, I went back to the table and there was a person drinking my iced tea...go figure.

On Oceana, I left my hoodie on the chair, and my DH left his hat on the table whilst we both went to get food. Like a lot of people we don't use the buffet often as I really hate doing table tag, and either eating cold food, or eating alone whilst DH gets food or vice versa. When we returned with our trays, another couple were sat at the table. When we remonstrated they refused to move, and said they thought we had left and forgotten to take our belongings. We ended up wandering around with our food looking for another free table. Now we only go up there for a quick snack sometimes, and never at breakfast or lunch times.