Loyal Royal goes Princess

denamo

Please hold on to your hat. I fear this review could get long. I posted this on the Royal Caribbean board, so some of the remarks include what Royal Caribbean cruisers would be used to.

Princess was doing an itinerary we wanted to do out of Houston Bayport. Princess is getting ready to leave this port, so we went for it. Itinerary included Panama, Columbia, Costa Rica, and 2 ports in Mexico, Costa Maya and Cozumel for an 11 day cruise. We've done the two Mexico ports on several occasions, so those were no big deal, but still nice to be on a cruise.

Being from Texas, we were able to drive to port. That was a plus. We stayed in a local hotel that shuttled us to port the morning of the cruise and picked us up after the cruise. That went very smoothly. Both embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly. We received a note in our room about half way through the cruse offering times to disembark. Since we had a 6 hour drive home, we checked off an early disembarkation time. That was the time we received. Thought that was a nice touch rather than a random assigned time.

Upon boarding, loved we could go and drop off our carry ons in our cabin. So nice not having to schlep that around until 1:30! Also, the dining room was open for lunch upon boarding. We opted for that rather than the Horizon Court buffet. So nice and relaxed.

We found the entertainment to be fairly comparable to Royal...comedians, a magician, and several production shows. The singers and dancers were definitely outstanding. They also did a talent show of staff members around the ship who were not part of the entertainment staff. Some very talented staff. One of the production shows was called Bravo and included songs from Broadway musicals. Extremely well done with some very talented singers and dancers. In the Piazza throughout the day, there would be violinists, pianist, and a steel drummer. Usually that started around 5:00 P.M. each day.

Since we did not have access to the "Diamond Lounge" we purchased a coffee card for the week. At their International Café (think Promenade Café"), you could get various coffees and teas. For each specialty drink ordered your card would be punched. It included 15 punches. Regular brewed coffee was available and would not use a punch. The cost for the card was $29 plus gratuity. It could either be purchased on board or prior to boarding. I purchased prior and it was in our room. Well worth it

The one topic everyone wants to know about is the food. We actually felt the food was much better than on our recent Royal cruises. The Horizon Court, think Windjammer, was structured very differently than Royal's. There were no long islands, but rather an enclosed rectangular area with food options around the outside exterior and sweets and salad bar in the middle. The portions put out seemed smaller than on Royal which had them replenished more frequently and thus fresher. Soups were also offered and a variety of individual meats throughout the week to be sliced. The only thing we found we liked better on Royal were the dressing for salads. Such a small thing, so it didn't really matter.

We did one ship excursion and three independent ones. For the ship excursion, we were directed to meet in the theater. We were checked in quickly and then directed to the provided transportation. Our excursion was to go through three locks of the Panama Canal. It was an awesome excursion.

Liked that we could book the excursion prior to the cruise and not have to pay for it. It would be included with our ending invoice. Also, dh has some special dietary needs. This excursion included a lunch and the shore excursion desk contacted us to make sure he would be ok with what they were offering. Nice personal touch.

Did prefer the way the balconies on Royal are designed. It was unique that we could totally see the balconies below our deck. There was no roof, so very little privacy.

Some things we enjoyed:

1. A chef in the buffet cooked a separate entrée on two different occasions for my husband who has some dietary needs for health reasons.

2. In the theater, there were several rows designated for those with disabilities at the back of the theater. Going up steps can be difficult for my husband, so this was extremely welcomed.

3. Twice each day, a happy hour was offered in two different lounges. One from 4:00 - 5:00 P.M. and the other from 10:00 - 11:00 P.M. It was a buy one get one for $1.00 promotion. Have seen something similar on Royal from time to time. Actually saw several purchasing beer and requesting it not to be opened.

4. We did Anytime Dining. They offered different dining room availability depending on the time you wanted to dine. Bit of a different concept. They did not have reservations available unless done at 5 or 5:30. We learned to go a bit later if we ate in the dining room. They would give buzzers just like restaurants on land. Think we waited maybe about 20 minutes.

5. Activities were plentiful throughout the day and evening. One aspect of their trivia was that in each of the lounges when offered, there were screens that revealed the answers, as well as, the hosts reading it.

6. Ship did a Voice of the Oceans competition where cruisers competed nightly for a slot for the finals. They offered being able to watch the finale remotely in one of the lounges since it was such a popular event on board. Great idea. We opted for the lounge area which was a great choice.

7. Music on board was very comparable to what was offered on Royal, so that was nice.

8. Did a good job of spreading cruisers throughout the ship in the evenings with the different lounges offering musicians. Very similar to Royal.

9. Nothing in the refrigerator to accidentally be charged for! Refrigerator was actually a refrigerator. Kept things cold not just slightly cooled.

Our overall impression was extremely positive. Without a doubt, would go on another Princess cruise. We met some great cruisers as we usually do, had a good time both on and off the ship, and felt the crew could not have been friendlier or more helpful when needed.

If you have questions, please ask.

At their International Café (think Promenade Café"), you could get various coffees and teas. For each specialty drink ordered your card would be punched. It included 15 punches. Regular brewed coffee was available and would not use a punch. The cost for the card was $29 plus gratuity. It could either be purchased on board or prior to boarding. I purchased prior and it was in our room. Well worth it

If you have any punches left on the card...don't toss it. The punches are good forever.

At their International Café (think Promenade Café"), you could get various coffees and teas. For each specialty drink ordered your card would be punched. It included 15 punches. Regular brewed coffee was available and would not use a punch. The cost for the card was $29 plus gratuity. It could either be purchased on board or prior to boarding. I purchased prior and it was in our room. Well worth it

If you have any punches left on the card...don't toss it. The punches are good forever.

A reason to take another Princess cruise [emoji6]

Glad to hear you enjoyed sailing with Princess. We are also Loyal to Royal cruisers and looking forward to our first Princess cruise in October...Partial Panama Canal cruise on Coral Princess. Thanks for sharing your experience.

We used ALL of those punches! Really enjoyed having the card. Have to go on another Princess cruise just to get another card! :D

Glad to hear you enjoyed sailing with Princess. We are also Loyal to Royal cruisers and looking forward to our first Princess cruise in October...Partial Panama Canal cruise on Coral Princess. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hope you enjoy your Princess cruise as much as we did. We're ready to do another one! :)

I'm loyal to Royal, but after 18 years I'm returning to Princess for a cruise in January. I've been on NCL, RCCL, Celebrity and Princess and have loved everyone one. In the past year I've been on 3 RCCL cruises and 1 NCL cruise and see prisoners and cons on both lines.

Am excited to be returning to Princess to sail on Regal!!!

I'm loyal to Royal, but after 18 years maybe you should I'm returning to Princess for a cruise in January. I've been on NCL, RCCL, Celebrity and Princess and have loved everyone one. In the past year I've been on 3 RCCL cruises and 1 NCL cruise and see prisoners and cons on both lines.

Am excited to be returning to Princess to sail on Regal!!!

Then maybe you should spend less time hanging around the brig.

(Sorry, couldn't pass up the typo)

I actually just did my first RCCL cruise after years on Princess, and ultimately find the two lines more similar than different. The short version is that even though the RCCL cabins are bigger, I think the standard Princess cabin uses space more efficiently and is easier to manage, and I didn't care much for the bathroom in my cabin on the Vision either. On the Princess side, I've been unimpressed with the Horizon Court on my last few sailings, but generally like the MDR food better, and we also experienced some very slow service in the MDR a couple of nights on the Vision. Oh, and the self-serve ice cream machines on RCCL are just plain dangerous for me.:D

I plan to do a more detailed comparison post when I am back at a real keyboard. The short version is that I would definitely sail RCCL again if the itinerary is right, but will probably still prefer Princess. Oh, and I want to try out one of the Oasis class ships now too.

Having been on a Princess ship is there a particular Royal ship you would recommend for someone that has not sailed Royal before? DW and I have heard wonderful things about Royal and are eager to try a cruise or two.

I have been on Jewel of the Seas, and Brilliance of the Seas (sister ships) and loved them. Lots of floor-to-ceiling windows, so the water was easily visible. Glass-walled elevators also provided great views.

In contrast, on the Golden Princess and Emerald Princess, I had to make a little more effort to see the water.

Aside from the views, all 4 ships were wonderful. I thought the entertainment, cabins, MDR food, crew friendliness to be very similar. I preferred the Windjammer layout to the Horizon Court on Emerald, which always felt crowded and cramped - and the Windjammer's salad bar was far superior. Service on the Emerald, however, was better in the buffet area - I liked having the table already set with silverware so I didn't have to carry it around with me, and staff were very attentive for drink refills.

As many have said, the lines are far more similar than different. I wouldn't hesitate to go on another RCCL cruise, but my experience is limited to the 'smaller' Jewel and Brilliance. I don't think something the size of Oasis or Anthem would appeal to me, but to each his own!

Excellent review. Thanks for sharing. RCCL is my second favorite cruise line after Princess. I've found them to be quite similar. The Royal ships have more of a WOW factor. But overall, I've found the cruise experience to be great on both lines. I wish RCCL would put a ship back in Los Angeles. I really liked the Mariner of the Seas. I would sail on them more if they did.

I have been on Jewel of the Seas, and Brilliance of the Seas (sister ships) and loved them. Lots of floor-to-ceiling windows, so the water was easily visible. Glass-walled elevators also provided great views.

In contrast, on the Golden Princess and Emerald Princess, I had to make a little more effort to see the water.

Aside from the views, all 4 ships were wonderful. I thought the entertainment, cabins, MDR food, crew friendliness to be very similar. I preferred the Windjammer layout to the Horizon Court on Emerald, which always felt crowded and cramped - and the Windjammer's salad bar was far superior. Service on the Emerald, however, was better in the buffet area - I liked having the table already set with silverware so I didn't have to carry it around with me, and staff were very attentive for drink refills.

As many have said, the lines are far more similar than different. I wouldn't hesitate to go on another RCCL cruise, but my experience is limited to the 'smaller' Jewel and Brilliance. I don't think something the size of Oasis or Anthem would appeal to me, but to each his own!

Thanks for all the great information. I'm glad you liked Princess, we have had nothing but great vacations with them.

Having been on a Princess ship is there a particular Royal ship you would recommend for someone that has not sailed Royal before? DW and I have heard wonderful things about Royal and are eager to try a cruise or two.

If you really want to go for all of the bells and whistles, then the Oasis class, currently the Oasis and Allure is the way to go. I know there are many who don't care to cruise on such a large ship, but we really enjoy this class.

We've also enjoyed the Voyager class ship. We've sailed on the Mariner, the Voyager, the Navigator and the Explorer in this class. We like the Promenade that was added to this class and up.

We've never had a bad cruise no matter what line we've cruised. :D

Edited by denamo

Then maybe you should spend less time hanging around the brig.

(Sorry, couldn't pass up the typo)

I actually just did my first RCCL cruise after years on Princess, and ultimately find the two lines more similar than different. The short version is that even though the RCCL cabins are bigger, I think the standard Princess cabin uses space more efficiently and is easier to manage, and I didn't care much for the bathroom in my cabin on the Vision either. On the Princess side, I've been unimpressed with the Horizon Court on my last few sailings, but generally like the MDR food better, and we also experienced some very slow service in the MDR a couple of nights on the Vision. Oh, and the self-serve ice cream machines on RCCL are just plain dangerous for me.:D

I plan to do a more detailed comparison post when I am back at a real keyboard. The short version is that I would definitely sail RCCL again if the itinerary is right, but will probably still prefer Princess. Oh, and I want to try out one of the Oasis class ships now too.

Can't believe my "pros" turned into prisoners!! Nope never made it to the brig!!

It all depends on what you are looking for. We have enjoyed the Voyager Class and Freedom Class the most with the Royal Promenade (mall-like centrum). We feel less crowded if we have a place to stroll, have a sandwich or beverage and it's a great place for gathering before or after dinner....and the parades are the very best!! The ice-skating shows on these ships are top-notch and add much to the entertainment...not to miss if you like ice shows! We never use the rock-climbing wall or Flowrider but they are big draws for the younger crowd.

We have been on the Serenade (Jewel class) twice, only for choice of itinery. Some prefer the smaller ship, but we definitely felt the smallness. Great cruises, but we like a bigger ship.

We have also sailed on the Oasis....with 6000 of our closest friends! LOL Definitely a different experience but we thoroughly enjoyed it. We didn't feel the service was as good...something about the attitude of some of the staff...maybe just a down week for them. There were some personal touches we missed that simply can't be done on a huge ship such as the Welcome Show was all done on video instead of on stage. BUT we LOVED the Aqua Shows! High divers and synchronized swimming shows were outstanding! Can't believe that can be done on a cruise ship! We loved the prime rib sandwiches in the Central Park Café and there were a lot of places to stroll around the ship such as Central Park and the Boardwalk which includes a Carousel. We never really felt crowded on the ship, but it was a long walk from one end to the other.

The one thing that has surprised us with Princess is the lack of a couch and extra space in the balcony cabin. It only has a HARD chair to sit on in the cabin! Who can sit on only a hard chair for a week or more? With RCCL, every balcony cabin has a couch or loveseat to relax on plus the extra space it provides. And the prices are comparable. We are having to pay more for a mini suite just to get a couch.:mad:

So there are many options to chose from with RCCL....it all depends on your preferences. I would suggest you start with a Voyager or Freedom Class ship...it has all the amenities but a nice, not huge size.

I enjoyed your review /comparison. We will be taking our first Princess cruise this fall, we too usually sail Royal Caribbean, so we our really looking forward to sailing Princess this time. I have a question, you said that you made reservations and booked an excursion on line before your cruise but paid at invoice. Was that at final payment or at end of cruise. We have $800 OBC and we are planning on using it for excursions and dinner at a specialty restaurant. That is why I am asking if it is end of cruise then it will be taking off of the obc.