Carnival or princess???

sdaughs

I originally booked princess cruise! But I just looked at carnival. And thinking it's more up our ally! Husband and I are both in our mid 30's and have a 16 & 17 year old.

Please help and advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In Alaska, Carnival will NOT be the party ship like you see on commercials. I have been on both Carnival and Princess in Alaska, and they were very similar. Personally, I do prefer Princess, but I'm also trying HAL this year for a different itinerary.

Really? Just looking at them and onboard entertainment etc, carnival seems more us.... What am I missing when u say princess hands down?

In my opinion, I think Princess offers the best Alaska program/experience over any other cruise line. Especially when compared to Carnival. Carnival has only one ship sailing in Alaska while Princess has 6 ships in Alaska. Princess tries to bring many programs onboard to enrich you on the region where Carnival doesn't have a program like that. We are taking our third Alaska cruise this summer on Princess. Another thing about Princess is that is attracts all age groups. Though it doesn't attract people who love to party hard like you would see on a Carnival cruise. Though no matter which line you choose, you'll have a great time because Alaska is a wonderful destination! I recommend going on YouTube and looking at videos of a Carnival Alaska cruise and then a Princess Alaska cruise so you can kinda feel what the onboard atmosphere is like.

In another thread - it appears you are interested in taking soda onboard. Carnival does not allow this but Princess (currently) does.

I agree with the above that Carnival in Alaska is not like Carnival is in Caribbean. All ships in Alaska have an older demographic.

I think the more important question is the itineraries. You may want to post both. I am a strong advocate for seeing Glacier Bay on your first cruise as some of the other glaciers are often missed. It is huge IMO to miss the glacier on the first cruise as I did that and was really disappointed.

Princess does great Alaska programming onboard (naturalist, speakers, etc..). Carnival does have a naturalist (with reports of being very good) which is good as some lines don't do this.

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/north-to-alaska/

Please post the 2 itineraries and we can compare.

Edited by Coral

For me, it's all about the itinerary when it comes to Alaska. Period. If Carnival is giving you A) the itinerary you like the most and B) the best value, go for it. If, all things being the same (price, itinerary, etc.), then go for the ship you like the most. if the on board entertainment matters to you, as you've stated, then go with what YOU feel best suits YOUR wants, needs, and desires in this cruise.

I've cruised Carnival to Alaska three times and had amazing cruises each and every time. The naturalist on Carnival (assuming it's the same one I've experienced) is fantastic. As others have said, you can't really compare Carnival in the Caribbean to Carnival in Alaska (and, BTW, there are partiers on Princess, too--a drunk woman passed out in my husband's lap on a Princess cruise and nothing like that's every happened to us on Carnival! LOL). Personally, I don't see how having six ships in Alaska makes Princess "the best." It just means they have the most ships in Alaska. I've heard good things about Princess in Alaska but have heard good things about other lines there, too, and had great experiences on Carnival.

The biggest negative of choosing Carnival is that they so rarely go to Glacier Bay. I'm cruising NCL to Alaska next year and GB is on that itinerary. If you end up choosing Carnival, I suggest you choose an itinerary that goes to Tracy Arm; you can do a small-boat excursion that that you board right off the ship while you're in Tracy Arm. It's an amazing day! There are reports that you don't always get close to the glacier; we were fortunate and got close and saw calving as well as lots of wildlife.

Good luck!!

In my opinion, I think Princess offers the best Alaska program/experience over any other cruise line. Especially when compared to Carnival. Carnival has only one ship sailing in Alaska while Princess has 6 ships in Alaska. Princess tries to bring many programs onboard to enrich you on the region where Carnival doesn't have a program like that. We are taking our third Alaska cruise this summer on Princess. Another thing about Princess is that is attracts all age groups. Though it doesn't attract people who love to party hard like you would see on a Carnival cruise. Though no matter which line you choose, you'll have a great time because Alaska is a wonderful destination! I recommend going on YouTube and looking at videos of a Carnival Alaska cruise and then a Princess Alaska cruise so you can kinda feel what the onboard atmosphere is like.

Have you cruised Carnival in Alaska?

I have cruised Carnival and Princess multiple times in Alaska. over 10 times each. They both do a good job in Alaska. :)

Itinerary certainly does come into play with Princess having more options. IF you are looking for a round trip Seattle, both could be an excellent choice for you.

One point, I will make- I find it "necessary" to recommend the add on Tracy Arm excursion through the cruise ship. It is grossly superior to the cruise ship transit.

I have cruised Carnival and Princess multiple times in Alaska. over 10 times each. They both do a good job in Alaska. :)

Itinerary certainly does come into play with Princess having more options. IF you are looking for a round trip Seattle, both could be an excellent choice for you.

One point, I will make- I find it "necessary" to recommend the add on Tracy Arm excursion through the cruise ship. It is grossly superior to the cruise ship transit.

I agree about Tracy Arm. Easily one of the best excursions I have ever done on cruise.

We obviously sail a lot on Princess. However, what is of prime importance to us is the itinerary. We have never sailed Carnival and probably never will but I do believe there is a cruise line that fits everyone's needs....so if Carnival has the itinerary you want and you think you will enjoy the line....then go for it.

We have never cruised period! This is totally a first for us, we are young parents with teen kids so trying to make sure they are happy as well...

We r really casual laid back family.

Princess goes to glacier and carnival goes to Tracy fjords! That's the only difference itinerary wise.

I originally booked princess cruise! But I just looked at carnival. And thinking it's more up our ally! Husband and I are both in our mid 30's and have a 16 & 17 year old.

Please help and advice?

An Alaskan Cruise is about Alaska not the ship. (If you want to enjoy the ships entertainment - your fare is almost guaranteed to be cheaper elsewhere.)

Look at the itinerary - what do you want to see/do, Where do you want to go? Glacier Bay? Sitka, Ak?

On our first cruise to AK as 30 somethings with a 4.5 year old - we chose HAL. Round trip out of Vancouver & Glacier Bay were most important for us.

Our next Ak cruise will also be on HAL - 14-night cruise!

I'm 36, hubs is 40, kids are 11 and 15. We've done several cruises and while I do have fun on Carnival, we picked Princess for Alaska this June. I'm a little concerned about there not being as many kids but honestly, it's about the destination, not about the ship or cruising experience. We really wanted a one way with Glacier Bay and Carnival did not offer that. I say book a separate Carnival cruise to the Caribbean for the future so you can do both. ;)

Some NCL ships also go to Glacier Bay, and that is a much less formal cruise line than Princess or Holland America.

I don't know if you are looking to cruise in 2016 or 2017, but here are NCL's Alaska cruises: https://www.ncl.com/vacations/alaska-cruises-5-8-days-?destinations=4294934553&duration=8052#

Edited by NancyIL

My husband and I will be on Carnival Legend on September 6, 2016 and our itinerary is Skagway, Glacier Bay, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Carnival does do Glacier Bay. I'm not sure how many times per season, but September 6 of this year is one.

My husband and I will be on Carnival Legend on September 6, 2016 and our itinerary is Skagway, Glacier Bay, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Carnival does do Glacier Bay. I'm not sure how many times per season, but September 6 of this year is one.

Very few. IIRC, they do only one or two sailings at the beginning and end of the Alaska cruise season.

we have been to Alaska twice and due to go again this summer. Have to be redundant here and emphasis that Alaska cruises are quite different than other cruises we have been on. Yes we enjoy shows and dining and a nice cabin ....but Alaska is scenery and hopefully a variety of wildlife and marine life. Alaska cruises are comfortable, casual but not a lot of swimming (unless you hit a real hot spell) and partying. If you are so "busy" that you do not have time to just observe and soak in the scenery then you have really missed a great blessing of the whole trip. ......and like most others have said, Glacier Bay is a unique experience that most Carnival trips do not include. But just do some research and ask a lot of questions and you will decide what is best for your family.....from our family and friend's experiences over the past 15 years, Princess and Holland American really rank higher with the Alaskan experience.