Watch bought on New Years 2015 cruise not working

Ginnyfyr

We were on the Emerald Princess over New Years (such a fun trip!) and I bought myself a Fossil watch at one of the shops on board. The battery died over a month ago and for some reason the backing has also decided it doesn't want to stay on now. I have no problem with running over to the mall to have this fixed, but we're going on the Star Princess next month and I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring the watch along and see if Princess can fix/replace it? I know they have certain warranties if you buy stuff at their recommended stores on shore but I can't recall what their policies are for items bought on board. Anyone have any experience with something like this? I no longer have the receipt but I would think Princess would have record of the purchase?

We were on the Emerald Princess over New Years (such a fun trip!) and I bought myself a Fossil watch at one of the shops on board. The battery died over a month ago and for some reason the backing has also decided it doesn't want to stay on now. I have no problem with running over to the mall to have this fixed, but we're going on the Star Princess next month and I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring the watch along and see if Princess can fix/replace it? I know they have certain warranties if you buy stuff at their recommended stores on shore but I can't recall what their policies are for items bought on board. Anyone have any experience with something like this? I no longer have the receipt but I would think Princess would have record of the purchase?

That should teach you not to buy a watch on a ship.

Thanks everyone for your input! Can't hurt to take it along and see what they'll do. I've bought a watch on every one of our 13 cruises to date - it's my cruise memento (and the husband is happy that I'm happy with a watch and not diamond earrings lol). Happy sails, everyone :D

-

When you take off the back of the watch to change a battery, you can not get the backing on again. You must take it to a place that changes batteries and they have a special tool that snaps the backing on quickly.

Years ago, you could change the battery on your watch and the backing would go right back on. However, a few years ago watches were changed and you are unable to get the backing back on the watch. You have to take it to a battery changing place and they use this tool.

Not sure if they will charge.

-

It's great that you are in a position to take it back to the ship. That should eliminate the finger-pointing that can arise in cases like this. [i bought a watch at one of the "diamond" stores in St. Kitts that has stopped working. Don't ever plan to go back there, so I just stuck it in a drawer and went back to my old Timex that "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" :)]

In the ship's boutiques they have the correct tools to change batteries, etc and do other jewellery repairs. I took a chain back once that I had bought a couple of years previously on a different Princess ship and needed the lock changed around. When I bought the chain bracelet they had put the clasp on upside down. It was not a problem.

A suggestion for the future is to take a photo with your cell phone. That way you will have easy access to a copy.

Tom:)

Excellent idea. This has saved me on more than one occasion. Now, my receipt from every major purchase is stored in my phone along with a link to the online user manual and warranty.

Fossil watches come with a warranty, you register it online. I have several Fossil watches and have learned only to take them to a Fossil dealer/store to have batteries replaced. When my sister's watch needed a battery, the jeweler couldn' get the back on again. So, we took it to the Fossil outlet 80 miles from us - where we bought it. they couldn't make it stick either, so sent it back to the factory and it was sent back to us fixed. When my first watch needed a battery, we went straight to the store and they couldn't get the back back on...so sent it away and it was sent back to us no charge (even for the new battery). EM

In the ship's boutiques they have the correct tools to change batteries, etc and do other jewellery repairs. I took a chain back once that I had bought a couple of years previously on a different Princess ship and needed the lock changed around. When I bought the chain bracelet they had put the clasp on upside down. It was not a problem.

That's right. One time, I had a problem with the Citizen watch I bought previously on board. Brought it on my next cruise and they fixed without even asking for the receipt.

-

When you take off the back of the watch to change a battery, you can not get the backing on again. You must take it to a place that changes batteries and they have a special tool that snaps the backing on quickly.

Years ago, you could change the battery on your watch and the backing would go right back on. However, a few years ago watches were changed and you are unable to get the backing back on the watch. You have to take it to a battery changing place and they use this tool.

Not sure if they will charge.

-

I didn't take the back off the watch - it fell off! Seems some kind of seal must have let go as I didn't see any other parts near the watch, just the backing remained on my dresser when I picked up the watch. Not my fault, lol!

That's right. One time, I had a problem with the Citizen watch I bought previously on board. Brought it on my next cruise and they fixed without even asking for the receipt.

This is good to know! I think I'm going to try emailing Princess to see what they suggest. Worst case scenario, I'll be out of pocket to change the battery/fix the backing (which I'm sure won't be pricey anyways) if they won't do it on board. Oh and to the person who mentioned registering a warranty with Fossil, thanks for the tip! I don't know why it never occurred to me to see if I could do that. I'm going to look up their website this afternoon.

A suggestion for the future is to take a photo with your cell phone. That way you will have easy access to a copy.

Tom:)

Great idea, but wouldn't have helped me this time as my cell phone was stolen two days after returning home from the cruise! Joke was on the thief though as the phone was an older model that was starting to act up anyway (thank you, thief, for giving me an excuse to find an awesome deal on a new phone!)