Carnival eliminating mini bars, will Royal follow?

I still have trouble believing I'm in the minority here. I like the minibar. If it were like the hotels where they have the sensors if things are moved - I would get it.

If I want Pringles or Sprite at 3am I like the option. I've only ever had one wrong charge.

I think it would be good to have the option to have it filled, but I am totally in favor of having the default condition be empty.

Princess offers a 12 pack of bottled water for $6 if you buy pre-cruise. It's waiting for you when you get to your cabin.

I'd do that in a heartbeat if RCI and the others did the same.

That would be a welcome change but did they get stricter with what you can bring onboard like Carnival? Last I read you could only bring cans of soda. No bottled water or soda is allowed.

Edited by Big_G

As it could be considered emergency rations, they should probably put a box of MREs somewhere in the cabin.

with my luck I'd end up with a case of Chili Mac or Chicken Tetrazzini. not even the mini bottle of hot sauce can save those.

Hmm... while I would applaud this move generally, it would stink that it happens right before my cruise in a star class suite where one of the perks is "complimentary minibar". :D

I doubt very much that RCI would not have a fully stocked mini bar for rooms that are covered under the Star Class Suite program. I can understand non suite room categories having an empty fridge however those travelling in a suite are normally affluent guests who are selective when it comes to accommodation. For the kind of money that I have paid to travel with my family in a SLS onboard Harmony of the Seas, the mini bar had better be stocked everyday. .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Princess "coolers" are actual refrigerators. Would love to have Royal match that:)

So the Royal Carribean mini bar "boxes" don't plug in and cool items, they are just coolers?

Do they stock them with ice to keep the items cool?

Some people say they empty them and return items to box at end of trip. So they don't try to restock them throughout the cruise?

So the Royal Carribean mini bar "boxes" don't plug in and cool items, they are just coolers?

Do they stock them with ice to keep the items cool?

Some people say they empty them and return items to box at end of trip. So they don't try to restock them throughout the cruise?

Royal's refrigerators do plug in, but they just don't keep things very cold.

I wish they would put real mini refrigerators in instead of the coolers now. That would be wonderful. It was so difficult this past week to keep our water nice and cold as well as other drinks. It is almost useless if you want your drinks cold.

We always ask our cabin steward for the ice bucket to be filled daily for just this reason!

Princess "coolers" are actual refrigerators. Would love to have Royal match that:)

They are real refigerators for the first 2 years ago, then they get weak and are never services from my observation. the only time I've put anything in there and felt it be cold was Freedom and Allure in their first year or two of operation.

They are real refigerators for the first 2 years ago, then they get weak and are never services from my observation. the only time I've put anything in there and felt it be cold was Freedom and Allure in their first year or two of operation.

That is because the back of the fridge builds up a thick mat of dust and the unit can't effectively cool itself down. Very inefficient. If they pulled the fridges out ever 3 to 6 months and used a vacuum on the coil it would work great.

Understood. :) You can leave a little note to say you have moved the items. We actually even take a picture of the inside of the fridge when we first get into the cabin, and then again if we move the items. Have never had a problem. :)

Great idea. We will do this on our next cruise in a couple of weeks...:)

What they could do is sell a "mini-bar" set up on Gifts & Gear to have in your room, pre-paid if you wish. So for those who want an empty fridge, they get it, but for those who want the set up, they can easily order it!

Excellent idea

What they could do is sell a "mini-bar" set up on Gifts & Gear to have in your room, pre-paid if you wish. So for those who want an empty fridge, they get it, but for those who want the set up, they can easily order it!

Great idea!!!

Having learned via CC that people have the mini bar emptied, I have always emptied it for two reasons:

1. To put my own stuff in it

2. To prevent anyone from eating/drinking expensive items of questionable quality/safety. I mean really, how many times have people before me removed that candy bar or box of nuts or whatever, put it who knows where or done who knows what with it, and then put it back in the fridge?! :eek::eek::eek:

~ Judy

I still have trouble believing I'm in the minority here. I like the minibar. If it were like the hotels where they have the sensors if things are moved - I would get it.

If I want Pringles or Sprite at 3am I like the option. I've only ever had one wrong charge.

I'm with you! I am not willing to drag a 12 pack of soda onboard so the mini bar was a great convenience. Now I will end up calling room service a whole lot. I love the convenience of the mini bar on ships and in hotels. We have never had an incorrect charge. We have often run up huge mini bar bills at Four Season and Ritz Carlton hotels. They have great stuff in them. I guess we will have to go back to the MSC Yacht Club. All the mini bar contents is complimentary in the YC.

Our next vacation is at an all inclusive with the mini bar stocked to your specs and with full bottles of liquor in the room. I am trying to wean my DH off cruising and hope the mini bar goes a long way to doing that. He loves Mini Bars!