Why are flights to San Juan so expensive, and

Iamthesea

Are there ever sales/specials?

Looks like the best way to save is for us to drive to CLT or ATL from my home area in TN (TRI airport.) Long drive and tickets are still high from what I can tell. I am talking over $600 from the TRI.

Flights are not yet available for my cruise at the end of March 2017.

Edited by Iamthesea

I was fortunate enough to get a $179 one way from PIT to SJU stopping in Charlotte beginning of Feb 2017. The return flights aren't so great so I'm holding out. But I guess a good price is anything around $400 round trip.

I had some time on my hands and was checking prices to and from various airports, and SJU to Boston was like $80 total! Can you believe that!? Just depends where you live.

sailing out of San Juan in December 2016... I live in a small town with a tiny airport - on the west coast - my airfare almost always is almost equal to my cruise fair... so I was worried about this trip.

I did find through United I could fly the "red eye" first class for about $900 a person - keeping in mind that Coach was $650 - then I always upgrade to business class and have to pay for luggage and what is a pre-cruise flight without a cocktail or two... so we booked the first class when it was said and done it cost us about $50 more per person but much roomier for the all night flights - we leave west coast at 5 p.m. and arrive in San Juan at noon the next day...

I found that by searching on sites like expedia and travelocity I could get a feel of where and how to book - I did book directly with airline though

March in the Caribbean...prime Spring Break time, meaning demand is high. Plus, you're flying from a somewhat small airport, meaning prices are often higher.

Sales? Of course it's possible prices could come down, but they could also go up too. Nobody knows which will happen.

Edited by Zach1213

I was stressed out about flights to SJU too from the west coast..but ended up booking last November for my May cruise...AA first class LAX-SJU approx $700.00pp..happy with that price.

Well, the last time we flew to San Juan from our hometown airport, the fares were like flying to a Florida airport. Just surprised at the rates, currently.

We picked this 5 night cruise, not knowing how high the air would be. :eek: May be re-thinking this. Have 2 days to change, and still receive our perks with Celebrity, if we decide to.

Thanks!

I was searching for a decent airfare from Pittsburgh to San Juan. FINALLY, I have one that doesn't seem out of sight. We booked with Southwest (no luggage fees) and paid $458 round trip. This is for August. A friend is going in November and she paid $356. I saw some fares that were in the $500-$600 range. While reading these boards someone stated if you see a fare you can live with book it. Its amazing how they go up and down. I guess you have to be at the right place at the right time. Safe travels.

Carol

Quick look with matrix shows fares RT TRI/SJU around $550-$600 per person in late March. RT ATL-SJU around $440-$480.

Are you seeing the high fares because you are wedded to one airline? They aren't listing flights that far out, but WN is showing sample fares as far as they go for $480+. Jet Blue is around $450 for a sample fare out of BNA (not available ATL).

Or really go lowbrow and roll the dice with Spirit: They are not the cheapest - sample fare is showing around $500 out of ATL.

Looks like the best way to save is for us to drive to CLT or ATL from my home area in TN (TRI airport.) Long drive and tickets are still high from what I can tell. I am talking over $600 from the TRI.

We live in Boone, NC and TRI is one of the airports that we could use, but never usually do. We're equidistant to TRI, Charlotte, Asheville and Greensboro. Not sure where exactly you're at that TRI is your home airport, but if driving to Charlotte is an option as you say, keep Greensboro in mind too. I'd say we use Greensboro about half the time because it comes in cheaper than Charlotte. More than a few times we've ended up flying out of Greensboro and connecting through Charlotte but the difference in cost was worth it to us to fly out of Greensboro. It always seems strange to fly from Greensboro and Connect in Charlotte - we're the same distance from home at either airport, but we've flown, and still the same distance as before the flight. Like we've flown and haven't gotten any further distance from home than when we started. Anyway - Greensboro, NC (GSO) - just something to keep in mind.

Don't forget to check TYS, that is a much shorter drive for you, and has a lot more flights than TRI.