Benefits for Elite Plus lack

Montana

I don't need any more Elite+ benefits. Celebrity will get our business as long as it provides things that are important to us, namely, reasonable price and interesting itineraries. We'll jump to Princess in a heartbeat if it provides a better situation, as we're Elite there, too. The price on X for some of the cruises we are interested in is outrageously high and that has set us off looking for alternatives

Here's the interesting thing. This week we became Black on MSC, their highest rating, even though we have not ever set foot on a MSC ship. We've read that the MSC ships are magnificent but the food in the lower cabin categories tends towards "meh". So shortly we will take a cruise in their Yacht Club which gets outstanding grades for food, drinks, service, and other amenities. As many of you know, the YC is a private area with its own restaurant, bars, and pool. Far from the madding crowd, apparently. The price is comparable to what we pay for a suite on X, so if it's as good as advertised, it would be very easy to say goodbye to Celebrity and Princess. Loyalty only goes so far !

As others have stated the suite benefits on Celebrity overlap the Elite+ benefits, making a switch even easier. Time will tell

I should add that we took two cruises on Celebrity in the early 1990s and were completely unimpressed with the food and MDR service. We quickly returned to Princess and Cunard. But when we decided to try X again more recently, we found that the food had improved tremendously from our earlier experiences. So, when I hear others complain about how the quality and service have declined on Celebrity, I scratch my head for our experience is quite different, though Princess' food and restaurant layouts are still our first choice. Tastes do differ

Edited by BosoxI

I don't need any more Elite+ benefits. Celebrity will get our business as long as it provides things that are important to us, namely, reasonable price and interesting itineraries. We'll jump to Princess in a heartbeat if it provides a better situation, as we're Elite there, too. The price on X for some of the cruises we are interested in is outrageously high and that has set us off looking for alternatives

Here's the interesting thing. This week we became Black on MSC, their highest rating, even though we have not ever set foot on a MSC ship. We've read that the MSC ships are magnificent but the food in the lower cabin categories tends towards "meh". So shortly we will take a cruise in their Yacht Club which gets outstanding grades for food, drinks, service, and other amenities. As many of you know, the YC is a private area with its own restaurant, bars, and pool. Far from the madding crowd, apparently. The price is comparable to what we pay for a suite on X, so if it's as good as advertised, it would be very easy to say goodbye to Celebrity and Princess. Loyalty only goes so far !

As others have stated the suite benefits on Celebrity overlap the Elite+ benefits, making a switch even easier. Time will tell

I should add that we took two cruises on Celebrity in the early 1990s and were completely unimpressed with the food and MDR service. We quickly returned to Princess and Cunard. But when we decided to try X again more recently, we found that the food had improved tremendously from our earlier experiences. So, when I hear others complain about how the quality and service have declined on Celebrity, I scratch my head for our experience is quite different, though Princess' food and restaurant layouts are still our first choice. Tastes do differ

My sister just returned from a cruise in the Yacht Club on MSC. Yes, she was granted Black status because of her Celebrity Elite+ status. She loved it! She's booked again on MSC. I'm going to give it a try.

My sister just returned from a cruise in the Yacht Club on MSC. Yes, she was granted Black status because of her Celebrity Elite+ status. She loved it! She's booked again on MSC. I'm going to give it a try.

Didn't even know they did that.

Thanks so much for the info.

No matter how long we have been following Cruise Critic, there is always something new to learn.

Good info.

What the heck is a "MSC Voyagers Club Black Card Party" ? Is it like the Elite cocktail happy hour (2 actually) ?

Is there free laundry and internet access?

Didn't even know they did that.

Thanks so much for the info.

No matter how long we have been following Cruise Critic, there is always something new to learn.

I wasn't aware of that matching by MSC either. Now that we live close enough to drive for most Caribbean cruises, last minute sailings are worth investigating on a variety of lines.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

I have read so many bad reviews about MSC, I would not be inclined to go with them.

Bad reviews are a "staple" for every cruise line. People are more apt to complain than sing praise. Celebrity is no exception - they get bad reviews too.

I guess my point is, you have to experience it yourself to know whether you like it or not.

I had read those same reviews about MSC. We tried it anyway, and loved it. Staff was equal to or better than X. Food was good & bad, but then I've had that experience on X as well. MSC's pricing can't be compared to X and the Black card benefits were great.

I was one of those who thought I would never try another cruiseline after being a Celebrity loyalist for so long. The current pricing and new "rules" (regarding OBC) on X have helped me to "change my tune". Whoever gives me the best value now has my business.

Bosox1 - Enjoy your cruise! You will be "blown away" by the service in the Yacht Club and try and get Kabir as your waiter in LeMuse (the private restaurant). He is outstanding!!!!

It is true that Celebrity no longer appreciates loyalty and is seeking a younger clientele . What is forgotten is that we introduced our children who are the clientele they are trying to attract to Celebrity. They now cruise Celebrity and not Carnival as a result. Loyalty does have its benefits for Celebrity whether they recognize it or not.

My daughter has been a Diamond on RCCL since she was a teenager. She's now 25 and should she choose to cruise on her own she'd instantly have Elite status on X. I agree loyalty brings with it legacy, and all the lines should recognize it.

I agree with Pat C. For all those saying we are complaining when we get something for free - - it is not the free items, it is the perception and the feeling Celebrity just doesn't value their loyal customers. This isn't just the perks - it is the suite-mania in Miami. It takes a lot of loyalty to get to Elite Plus but it is not appreciated by Miami. The difference in perks between Select & Elite are really substantial but Elite Plus is more than double the points of Elite (300 to 750) & they get an extra bag of laundry. [with WiFi in every port & the drink packages - the rest is worthless]. Think about it - on a 7, or even 14 day cruise, if my husband & I are Elite plus, we'd have to bring dirty clothes from home to fill 4 bags with 30 items.

Just off the Summit. One week cruise from Sunday to Sunday. We did use the 4 free laundry coupons on the first 4 days of the cruise. We didn't fill the bags. Unfortunately, they are not good on the last 3 days of the sailing. We got on the ship on Sunday. Sent our laundry out on MON,TUES,WED,and THURS. Could not use the coupons on Fri, Sat,or Sun. I still came home with dirty laundry. I still needed to bring 4 changes of clothing. It would be nice if they allowed elite plus guests to use the laundry coupons on more days. While I appreciate the free laundry anytime, using it closer to the end of the cruise would have made my return home so much better.

While I appreciate the free laundry anytime, using it closer to the end of the cruise would have made my return home so much better.

That's exactly what they don't want. You to go home with clean clothes.

I remember back when all they had was the bags of laundry special. The clothes came back so much nicer. Now they must be inundated with all the free laundry coupons and I don't trust them with most of my clothing as they don't seem to take the same care with the clothing, but DH uses it for some of his stuff.

That's exactly what they don't want. You to go home with clean clothes.

I remember back when all they had was the bags of laundry special. The clothes came back so much nicer. Now they must be inundated with all the free laundry coupons and I don't trust them with most of my clothing as they don't seem to take the same care with the clothing, but DH uses it for some of his stuff.

Like you, we use the laundry coupons almost exclusively for Hubby's clothes. Most of my clothes wouldn't stand up well to the ship's laundry. I do appreciate the laundry coupons.

I agree with Pat C. For all those saying we are complaining when we get something for free - - it is not the free items, it is the perception and the feeling Celebrity just doesn't value their loyal customers. This isn't just the perks - it is the suite-mania in Miami. It takes a lot of loyalty to get to Elite Plus but it is not appreciated by Miami. The difference in perks between Select & Elite are really substantial but Elite Plus is more than double the points of Elite (300 to 750) & they get an extra bag of laundry. [with WiFi in everything port & the drink packages - the rest is worthless]. Think about it - on a 7, or even 14 day cruise, if my husband & I are Elite plus, we'd have to bring dirty clothes from home to fill 4 bags with 30 items.

Still have never understood why one gets the same number of coupons on a seven day cruise as on a 14. What if I'm on a 20 day plus cruise. Do I still get one bag of laundry or whatever?

Bad reviews are a "staple" for every cruise line. People are more apt to complain than sing praise. Celebrity is no exception - they get bad reviews too.

I guess my point is, you have to experience it yourself to know whether you like it or not.

I had read those same reviews about MSC. We tried it anyway, and loved it. Staff was equal to or better than X. Food was good & bad, but then I've had that experience on X as well. MSC's pricing can't be compared to X and the Black card benefits were great.

I was one of those who thought I would never try another cruiseline after being a Celebrity loyalist for so long. The current pricing and new "rules" (regarding OBC) on X have helped me to "change my tune". Whoever gives me the best value now has my business.

You're saying if Carnival is a thousand dollars cheaper than X you'll go with them? Kind of like shopping at Walmart when you'd really rather be shopping at Saks.

Why would anyone want to bring home dirty clothes when they could get clothes laundered for free on the ship? Knowing that I plan to use the ship's laundry, I bring mostly clothes that can be washed. I bring mostly cotton clothing that can tolerate the washing. If I bring delicate items, I wash them myself. The ship's laundry has improved. They use laundry tags that can be peeled off instead of that nasty ink that ruined some items. They also neatly fold the clothes.

On another cruiseline that has unlimited same day laundry with pressing including the last day,I pack clean pressed clothes at the end of the cruise.When I get home, I put away the clothing. I don't need to spend time washing lots of dirty clothing.

The free laundry is a pleasure for me. I pack less. I have a lighter suitcase. I don't have to wash multiple loads when I get home. Afterall, going on vacation should be a pleasure. Letting the ship do the laundry makes my day.

Why would anyone want to bring home dirty clothes when they could get clothes laundered for free on the ship?

For me at least whilst it's great to have the ship laundry during the cruise so that clothes can be worn again I always go home with dirty laundry because I prefer to wash it myself at home. Nice fresh smell which you don't get onboard and I have to iron it anyway because it's just dry folded on the ship.

Phil

As another Elite Plus Member the benefits are okay and I enjoy the Celebrity brand. But I don't feel the benefits are worth sailing exclusively on Celebrity anymore. I've been going on some other cruises that also include beverage packages and enjoying the different experiences. If there were more incentives for being an Elite Plus member then I would be more likely to stick with Celebrity but the Elite Happy Hour isn't enough in the day of included beverage packages and any laundry that I send I usually end up redoing when I get home. I would even appreciate a call from the Captains Club Host/Hostess personally calling me and asking if there is anything they could do to make my cruise better rather than the pre-recorded generic messages on what they’re having that day (it's the small things). I don’t really feel “valued’ anymore but I still do enjoy the Celebrity brand.

Bosox1 - Enjoy your cruise! You will be "blown away" by the service in the Yacht Club and try and get Kabir as your waiter in LeMuse (the private restaurant). He is outstanding!!!!

Hey Beth!

Been watching for your thoughts. Do you think it was at this level due to the having the Black card perks?

Miss ya :D

EW

image.jpg.ec2f377430a459c2053b8d559baf078f.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

You're saying if Carnival is a thousand dollars cheaper than X you'll go with them? Kind of like shopping at Walmart when you'd really rather be shopping at Saks.

Nope. That's not what I said.

Whoever gives me the best value now has my business. I have not seen any perceived "value" with Carnival.

Why would anyone want to bring home dirty clothes when they could get clothes laundered for free on the ship? ........

The free laundry is a pleasure for me. I pack less. I have a lighter suitcase. I don't have to wash multiple loads when I get home. Afterall, going on vacation should be a pleasure. Letting the ship do the laundry makes my day.

You are very lucky then. I have had numerous items spoiled by ships laundries by either too harsh chemicals or too hot a wash. I had one item which was lost, never to be found :mad: Many items I take with me cannot be tumble dried (and potentially spoiled). And what about ironing? Perhaps you are at a level whereby you get lots of free ironing too but in my experience the bags of laundry are limited to certain items and they don't come back ironed.

I'm not risking many of my nice clothes in a ship's laundry - even if it's free

You are very lucky then. I have had numerous items spoiled by ships laundries by either too harsh chemicals or too hot a wash. I had one item which was lost, never to be found :mad: Many items I take with me cannot be tumble dried (and potentially spoiled). And what about ironing? Perhaps you are at a level whereby you get lots of free ironing too but in my experience the bags of laundry are limited to certain items and they don't come back ironed.

I'm not risking many of my nice clothes in a ship's laundry - even if it's free

I agree 100%.

I will not give anything that I care about to the laundry. It's fine for my husband's socks, underwear, old pajamas and some of our older t shirts.

Why would anyone want to bring home dirty clothes when they could get clothes laundered for free on the ship? Knowing that I plan to use the ship's laundry, I bring mostly clothes that can be washed. I bring mostly cotton clothing that can tolerate the washing. If I bring delicate items, I wash them myself. The ship's laundry has improved. They use laundry tags that can be peeled off instead of that nasty ink that ruined some items. They also neatly fold the clothes.

On another cruiseline that has unlimited same day laundry with pressing including the last day,I pack clean pressed clothes at the end of the cruise.When I get home, I put away the clothing. I don't need to spend time washing lots of dirty clothing.

Few years back - X laundry ruined our clothes - I got mine with unknown stains across my PJ and top, my DH shirts got so shrunk, so I left 2 of them in the trash bin. I specified COLD WATER wash only. I will never give them to wash another piece of clothing. Dry cleaning and pressing were OK.