VOOM Roll Call

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

SpaceX is launching their first 60 LEO Starlink internet satellites tonight. 🚀 🛰

And Amazon isn't far behind

Future competition for O3B

OneWeb seems to be close too - they launched their first satellites recently. 

As bad as Radiance was last year in Alaska, it was better than this Ovation experience.

I suspect our crappy Ovation speedcast experience is because we have 4000+ trying to use a satellite connection that can't handle this many people.  Same reason why Navigator and Mariner and Adventure Voom sucks but add even more guests and it sucks worse.  Then add the Alaska factor and light cloud cover and there goes the signal.  What does get through is being shared by the ship and way too many guests.

Quantum and Oasis class have O3b because the old Harris/Speedcast platform can't support the numbers on a mega ship over a single up/down link.  Yet here we are in Alaska doing just that with Ovation. 

#epicfail 

Is this 400mbs I see in the shot below total capacity or just a channels capacity?

Could they be metering us and kicking us off?

Everybody is complaining about dropped connections and it seems like they might be at different timesScreenshot_20190515-100630_Settings.thumb.jpg.aa2180cfb71fda1c1d85f03a596f2490.jpg

1 minute ago, AlanF65 said:

Is this 400mbs I see in the shot below total capacity or just a channels capacity?

Could they be metering us and kicking us off?

Everybody is complaining about dropped connections and it seems like they might be at different times

Looks like local wifi connection rate.

44 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

At what kind of speed/latency?

Slowcast is back, we were only on O3b briefly but what a difference when we were.  It must have switched over automatically at it's closest approach in orbit to our location then switched back as it moved it away.  

1765311462_OV54NO3b.thumb.jpg.104445227bffb87c5d2010bb9340e8ac.jpg

700996763_OV54nPosition.jpg.40e18355e6a1aff2d48d73c5c829943c.jpg

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Looks like local wifi connection rate.

Slowcast is back, we were only on O3b briefly but what a difference when we were.  It must have switched over automatically at it's closest approach in orbit to our location then switched back as it moved it away.  

1765311462_OV54NO3b.thumb.jpg.104445227bffb87c5d2010bb9340e8ac.jpg

700996763_OV54nPosition.jpg.40e18355e6a1aff2d48d73c5c829943c.jpg

I keeping picking up a Hawaii server. Deck 14 outside of solarium, port side

Screenshot_20190515-144529_Speedtest.jpg

8 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Much lower bw right now.

That's your local wifi connection rate.  With Voom capped ~4Mb getting 144Mb or 400Mb locally is a moot point.

Next time you are home check it throughout your home.  Go in garage, bathroom, kitchen, backyard.  You'll likely see the same sort of differences.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

That's your local wifi connection rate.  With Voom capped ~4Mb getting 144Mb or 400Mb locally is a moot point.

Next time you are home check it throughout your home.  Go in garage, bathroom, kitchen, backyard.  You'll likely see the same sort of differences.

Why do you think speedtest shows OB3 server for you and spectrum Hawaii for me, am I just being routed from OB3 to Hawaii for the test?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I understand the internet on Explorer is super slow and not a full up VOOM like we’ve experienced on Symphony and other ships.

When Explorer gets Amped up in April is it possible they will improve the internet?

We don’t want to pay for slow Internet.

The Amped up info doesn’t mention improving the internet.

14 minutes ago, RBKL said:

I understand the internet on Explorer is super slow and not a full up VOOM like we’ve experienced on Symphony and other ships.

When Explorer gets Amped up in April is it possible they will improve the internet?

We don’t want to pay for slow Internet.

The Amped up info doesn’t mention improving the internet.

If past results are any indication, expect no O3b upgrade.   

3 hours ago, little britain said:

On Explorer- 

Somewhere off the north French coast heading into the English Channel 

Looks similar to results while ships are in Alaskan waters.  

Thanks for sharing.  

Edited by twangster

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Not unless the IT Manager's request has come through recently.  She was geosynch (legacy) when I last sailed her.

Thanks for the update, wasn't sure if Empress got in during the period when RC was planning to put O3b on all ships.

11 hours ago, twangster said:

Enchantment and Majesty have O3b so be careful with that but in general terms you are correct.   

Enchantment does have O3B, but it has very limited bandwidth. So you’re not going to get the same experience as you get on oasis class or freedom class.

5 minutes ago, serialcruiser48 said:

Enchantment does have O3B, but it has very limited bandwidth. So you’re not going to get the same experience as you get on oasis class or freedom class.

Majesty has 1/4 the guest and crew count so less bandwidth is required.