20% Drink Special - My math isn't working?

After talking to four different people and getting many different answers I finally was able to speak to a supervisor. He told me that RCI has the right to change prices when they want and they recently raised the on board price for the packages. He said if someone purchased the premium package on board the price would be $59 a day. They then put our packages on sale 20 percent off of that at $47 pus 18 percent tips. I pointed out that several other folks on my roll call got the package at $310 not the $388 they were trying to charge me. He insisted there was nothing he could do. I then pointed out raising your prices by 20 percent then having a 20 percent off sale back to your regular price was considered fraud and was illegal. I was then told he could not change the price in the computer but would give me the difference in on board spending credit. So I bought two packages at the $388 and I am supposed to have about $150 added to my account but I guess I won't be able to check for sure until I am aboard.

You should be able to confirm the OBC by asking for Royal's Guest Copy of your booking confirmation.

Exact same 'math' on my upcoming cruise. The big issue is you can only book the Premium at the fake 20% off price. I was only going to go with the Select for the beer and wine, but now it is not offered.

No no, you all are forgetting these for foreign flag vessels so it all comes down to converting from imperial to metric. I could explain it but I would need charts and graphs and those markers that smell like fruits, not the black marker though, hate the smell of licorice.

I am glad people are watching prices and not falling for the dishonest sale. I feel bad for the people that booked unknowing and think they got a deal!

I am on Rhapsody in July and our beverage package options through Cruise Planner have been all over the place. First they were the standard prices (I get Ultimate so $65/day), then they posted the 20% off thing a few weeks ago, but the math didn't work so I didn't purchase it. Then the packages went away completely and the only available option was the Select package. Then yesterday they came back again with the 20% sticker on them. This time I purchased the Ultimate package and my total worked out to $55.70/day AFTER gratuity.

It is certainly arbitrary and the only rule I can come up with is to check daily and grab it when you see a price you like. For this, I am usually willing to pay the $65/day so saving roughly $110 overall worked for me.

I am on Rhapsody in July and our beverage package options through Cruise Planner have been all over the place. First they were the standard prices (I get Ultimate so $65/day), then they posted the 20% off thing a few weeks ago, but the math didn't work so I didn't purchase it. Then the packages went away completely and the only available option was the Select package. Then yesterday they came back again with the 20% sticker on them. This time I purchased the Ultimate package and my total worked out to $55.70/day AFTER gratuity.

It is certainly arbitrary and the only rule I can come up with is to check daily and grab it when you see a price you like. For this, I am usually willing to pay the $65/day so saving roughly $110 overall worked for me.

Looks like:

$59 - 20% discount (11.80) = 47.20 + 18% ($8.50) = $55.70 per day

Looks like:

$59 - 20% discount (11.80) = 47.20 + 18% ($8.50) = $55.70 per day

Yep, but when I purchased the Ultimate package on my Freedom Cruise in October it was $65/day + tax, and my EOS cruise in January was $69.62/day after tax and tip so for the Ultimate...I'll take it!! (even if I am terrible at math!!) :)

Does your cruise leave from European ports subject to VAT tax?

Our cruise in September leaves from Barsalona and when the sale was first announced I purchased the Premium package for 602.16 that is 50.18 per day. It was a true 20% discount. I don't know what a Vat tax is or how I would know if it was charged.

Our cruise in September leaves from Barsalona and when the sale was first announced I purchased the Premium package for 602.16 that is 50.18 per day. It was a true 20% discount. I don't know what a Vat tax is or how I would know if it was charged.

I believe if your cruise starts and ends in Barcelona and stays totally within the Schengen zone, then they charge an extra 10% (VAT tax) on ship purchases.

Just called C&A for info since we have the 20% off offer too. Well - it's 20% off the NEW IMPROVED UPDATED AND HIGHER ON BOARD price. As other OP have noted - the prices are going up so this is a sale.

So - you save a whopping $16.50 for the week. It's a sale!!

Boo!!

There has to be something wrong here; this is definitely unethical but is it illegal marketing practice? We are on going in June and several members in my group purchased the Ultimate last week for $357 and now other members in my group are being quoted $438....that's 18.5% higher. One group member was told by a supervisor that prices increased all across the board as of May 1st. So Royal definitely increased their prices by around 20% so they can give us a discount of 20%. Last week, I saw the price of $59 for the ultimate package (before discount); today, it's listed as $54 on their website and this is with the 20% discount. That would put the regular price at $67.50 a day.

I was told that the prices increased on 4/28/16. But yesterday my cruise planner still showed $49 not $59 for the premium package. Go figure!!!!!!!!! I called cruise planning and got no were. I also called C & A and nothing. I have now sent an email complaint.

We are on the December 23rd sailing of the Oasis. The Cruise Planner is offering me 20% off the Premium Package - $47/Day.

The Ultimate Package has disappeared and doesn't show at all.

Just a data point. I am sailing on Oasis on September 3, 2016. I looked earlier today, and the price for the premium package was $49 per day and there was no sale.

I just looked again, and there is now the "20% off sale" posted. The price for the premium package now is $44 per day. I'm no mathematician, but that most definitely is not 20% off. Rather it is about 10% off.

When you add the premium package to your cart the total price comes to $363.44, which is $308 ($44 per day x 7 days) + 18% gratuity.

If it was really 20% off it'd be 49 x .8 x 7 x 1.18 = 323.79

Very dishonest and misleading of RCCL to advertise 20% off when it is really about 10% off. Is it worth calling to try and get the price down to $323.79? Has anyone had luck doing that?

Just checked again and still no discount is showing :( for Enchantment of the Seas for Sept 26, 2016

We are on the December 23rd sailing of the Oasis. The Cruise Planner is offering me 20% off the Premium Package - $47/Day.

The Ultimate Package has disappeared and doesn't show at all.

There have been reports of people calling and being able to get the "invisible" packages added to their booking with the discount.

There have been reports of people calling and being able to get the "invisible" packages added to their booking with the discount.

I just got off the phone and was told not on short cruises. I guess will try tomorrow.

I just got off the phone and was told not on short cruises. I guess will try tomorrow.

I wonder if the CSRs have one of those old magic 8-ball things (modified for the cruise industry) that they use to answer questions.

Yeah what a cluster....

Just looked and saw the 20% off sale for my Sept 3rd Oasis sailing.

It says the price is 44$ as the 20% off sale price. I would LOVE to know where they come up with this amount from??

So anyways the total when you add it to your cart is 363.44$

I figured it out and thats 44x7 plus 18%.

Gotta love their consistent need to be inconsistent with this company.

P.S. Sorry I didn"t see Trevors post before I posted. whoops

Edited by Powersboyee2

There has to be something wrong here; this is definitely unethical but is it illegal marketing practice? We are on going in June and several members in my group purchased the Ultimate last week for $357 and now other members in my group are being quoted $438....that's 18.5% higher. One group member was told by a supervisor that prices increased all across the board as of May 1st. So Royal definitely increased their prices by around 20% so they can give us a discount of 20%. Last week, I saw the price of $59 for the ultimate package (before discount); today, it's listed as $54 on their website and this is with the 20% discount. That would put the regular price at $67.50 a day.

Prices on my August Harmony cruise have stayed at the standard $39/$49/$59 rates for a number of weeks now. I have checked daily to see this. That is until yesterday when the mythical 20% sale was offered and, purely by coincidence of course, base prices have increased so the 20% discount saves almost nothing. This is clearly a scam sale - the prices only increase when the 20% discount is offered.

abo,

same for my Harmony August cruise now :eek:.

Ultimate: 48.51 Euro * 7 = 339.57 Euro, but CruisePlanner shows a total of 395.12 Euro

59 USD - 20% / 11.80 = 47.20 + 18% / 8.50 + 10% / 4.72 = 60.42 USD * 7 = 422.94 USD/week

Converted into Euro with a conversion rate of 1.12 = 53.95 Euro * 7 = 377.62 Euro for one week. 395.12 Euro converts to 442.53 USD

Original pricing: 59 USD + 18% / 10.62 + 10% / 5.90 = 75.52 USD * 7 = 528.64 USD (= 472 Euro)

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

My July 24th Liberty packages just went on "sale"... The Premium had been $49/day up until now (I have been checking daily). The "sale" price is now $47/day. I thought it was a mistake until I found this thread.

So then I went and looked at my other bookings. Next one is Sept 30th on Explorer, and lo and behold, no sale, and still $49/day.

So if ANY csr has the nerve to tell me when I call tomorrow that prices have gone up, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to keep my cool with them.

This is the kind of bs that leaves loyal customers with a bad, bad taste in their mouths. Play whatever pricing games you want, but you NEVER lie to your loyal customers, especially ones who can immediately fact check you. Very, very bad business.

Im so confused on what to do. I dont know whether to purchase the drink package (at the so called 20% discount) or to wait and see if they offer the 10drink card for $79 that I see people talking about. Never been on Royal Caribbean before. Any advice would be great. My cruise is on the Oasis on May 28th.

Edited by oceancocktailawaits

Im so confused on what to do. I dont know whether to purchase the drink package (at the so called 20% discount) or to wait and see if they offer the 10drink card for $79 that I see people talking about. Never been on Royal Caribbean before. Any advice would be great. My cruise is on the Oasis on May 28th.

I have not read of the drink card being offered on day 1 yet, so if you want to drink right as you get on the ship, you would either have to pay as you go or buy a package. With this fake 20% off sale, I would not buy until I was on the ship.

Edited by clarea

After talking to four different people and getting many different answers I finally was able to speak to a supervisor. He told me that RCI has the right to change prices when they want and they recently raised the on board price for the packages. He said if someone purchased the premium package on board the price would be $59 a day. They then put our packages on sale 20 percent off of that at $47 pus 18 percent tips. I pointed out that several other folks on my roll call got the package at $310 not the $388 they were trying to charge me. He insisted there was nothing he could do. I then pointed out raising your prices by 20 percent then having a 20 percent off sale back to your regular price was considered fraud and was illegal. I was then told he could not change the price in the computer but would give me the difference in on board spending credit. So I bought two packages at the $388 and I am supposed to have about $150 added to my account but I guess I won't be able to check for sure until I am aboard.

I had the exact same issue and they issued me an OBC as well but I kept her on the phone until I received the confirmation email.

Hope you received one.