Difference between Ocean Liner and Cruise ship

Does anyone know the difference between Ocean Liner and Cruise ship?

Pax et bonum,

Kevin Westley T.M.R.F.

I believe that the difference is about $1,000 USD per person, per cabin category.

Does anyone know the difference between Ocean Liner and Cruise ship?

Pax et bonum,

Kevin Westley T.M.R.F.

Ocean Liners are designed for transportation from point to point while a Cruise Ship is designed to be the destination.

Ocean Liners are designed for transportation from point to point while a Cruise Ship is designed to be the destination.

I like your comment, because we went on the Queen Mary II last year. Many say, the QM@ is an experience, it is an ocean liner vs cruise ship. Well I can say, it is different, the upper decks have nothing ... no amenities at all just bare I was not impressed. Loved the smaller sister ship, the Queen Victoria but not the Queen Mary II.

Liners were a bus service with schedules and fixed routes. They tend to be stronger built ships as they have to say cross the Atlantic in winter whereas cruises ships are very lightly built and shallow draft and usually stay in nicer weather. Passenger liners tend to be quicker than cruise ships.

It has to do with the bow and the keel of the ship. Ocean liners have a V bottom and cruise ships have a much flatter keel and usually do not get the speed of Ocean Liners.

Actually, all ships are flat bottomed. What differentiates a ship like the QM2 (a liner) from Oasis is the "block coefficient" of the hull shape, or the measure of how much the hull shape under water approaches a square block. QM2 has a block coefficient in the 0.6 range, while Oasis is around 0.7. typically this means the liner has a longer taper to the bow from the extreme beam (width).

Liners were a bus service with schedules and fixed routes. They tend to be stronger built ships as they have to say cross the Atlantic in winter whereas cruises ships are very lightly built and shallow draft and usually stay in nicer weather. Passenger liners tend to be quicker than cruise ships.

I wouldn't say that cruise ships are "very lightly built", though a liner like the QM2 does have thicker plating and more frames than a normal cruise ship. I would also say that the 1 meter difference between Oasis and QM2 does not make cruise ships "shallow draft". QM2 also has 33% more propulsion power and 20% more generating capacity than the much larger Oasis, so the speed comparison is not valid.

The major differences between cruise ships and liners is the block coefficient as noted above, and the first open deck (promenade) being higher from the water. Also, the QM2 received an exemption from SOLAS regulations in that her lifeboats are located higher than SOLAS allows, but it was felt that to protect the boats better it would be allowed to mount them higher.

It has to do with the bow and the keel of the ship. Ocean liners have a V bottom and cruise ships have a much flatter keel and usually do not get the speed of Ocean Liners.

Captain Andy Proctor explained to us that cruise ships are essentially barges with pointed ends.

Captain Andy Proctor explained to us that cruise ships are essentially barges with pointed ends.

And if you look at the QM2 in drydock, you really cannot determine which ship it is (with a few exceptions like the "skeg" added to decrease lateral oscillations and vibration) between any cruise ship. 70-80% of the QM2 hull is just as flat as Oasis, a tanker or a container ship.

Ship design. There is a difference. Liners are sleeker, have pointed bows and a deeper bow. They are designed to go faster and be able to handle all types of seas. From the Fodor's article posted above:

a59f56cfceff82bd37cdbc8b4d4438dc.jpg

A real ocean going ship has a V shaped bottom and displaces a lot more water. Its bow is stronger with more powerful engines. An example "Queens" of ocean going or ocean lines are ships like the SS United States which could do well over 30 knots. They are designed to cross the Atlantic or Pacific even in stormy weather.

Today's Cruise liners are designed with flat bottoms so that they can sail to the Islands which have relatively shallow harbors. Their cruising speeds are generally in the lower 20 knots. They are really not designed for stormy weather.

They do cross the Atlantic, but generally use the Southern, less stormy routes.

Both types are fairly luxurious. However where a ship like the SS United States or MS Queen Mary would concentrate on dining and service, the cruise-boats like Carnival or RCCL concentrate on activities such as water parks etc.

Examples today:

Ocean Liner: MS Queen Mary

Cruise Liner: Oasis of the Seas

Hope this helps.

I really don't know where this fixation on "V-bottoms" and "V-keels" stems from. I'll attach a couple of links showing images of the QM2 in drydock showing her flat bottom:

http://www.worldshipny.com/images/qm2nov27me3.jpg

http://www.marinelog.com/IMAGESMMIII/qm2bus.jpg

Cruise ships are not made with flat bottoms to allow cruising to shallow ports. EVERY ship has a flat bottom, cruise ship, ocean liner, aircraft carrier, destroyer, tanker, container ship, bulker, or ferry.

Note that even Titanic had a flat bottom for over 50% of her length:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/01/aa/b6/01aab6b443b45da8dc3eaa44097bb630.jpg

I really don't know where this fixation on "V-bottoms" and "V-keels" stems from. I'll attach a couple of links showing images of the QM2 in drydock showing her flat bottom:

http://www.worldshipny.com/images/qm2nov27me3.jpg

http://www.marinelog.com/IMAGESMMIII/qm2bus.jpg

Cruise ships are not made with flat bottoms to allow cruising to shallow ports. EVERY ship has a flat bottom, cruise ship, ocean liner, aircraft carrier, destroyer, tanker, container ship, bulker, or ferry.

Note that even Titanic had a flat bottom for over 50% of her length:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/01/aa/b6/01aab6b443b45da8dc3eaa44097bb630.jpg

I feel your frustration. Seems that lots of posters read post 1 and then answer without reading any of the following posts. Very informative photos BTW, thanks!

Edited by beg3yrs

My bass boat has a flat bottom but nobody cares even if it will go 85 mph. My wife sailed on Queen Elizabeth years ago. Heard an Ocean Liner was Riveted and a Cruise ship was welded. LOL You're right QE had 160,000 HP, Diamond Princess, approx the same size has 72,200 HP. QE did 26K Diamond does 25K. The fastest liner was the United States at 38K.

Ocean liners are usually strongly built with a high freeboard to withstand rough seas and adverse conditions encountered in the open ocean. Additionally, they are often designed with thicker hull plating than is found on cruise ships, and have large capacities for fuel, food and other consumables on long voyages.[3] WIKI "You read it on the computer, it must be true.

K

• 9 months later...
I like your comment, because we went on the Queen Mary II last year. Many say, the QM@ is an experience, it is an ocean liner vs cruise ship. Well I can say, it is different, the upper decks have nothing ... no amenities at all just bare I was not impressed. Loved the smaller sister ship, the Queen Victoria but not the Queen Mary II.

The naval architect who designed the QM2 presented on the last transatlantic of the QEII. He was very adamant the QM2 was an ocean liner.

Does anyone know the difference between Ocean Liner and Cruise ship?Pax et bonum,

Kevin Westley T.M.R.F.

Most ocean liners look like real ships. Most cruise ships and especially the modern ones have the style and lines of an orange crate.

DON

Firstly the Ch.Eng. is right & I concur that every ship I have seen from the bottom of a drydock had a FLAT bottom.

The word LINER is incorrect when used by media & others in relation to the cruising industry.

The only vessel that could be called a Cruise/Liner is QM2 - as it does a liner service parts of the year.

A LINER is a maritime shipping SCHEDULED SERVICE - not a vessel - from one port to another with calls at other ports on the way. Today we have AIR liners running scheduled services all over & it was the 707 that caused the demise of ocean liners. Other Liner services are operated by Container Lines all over the world.

So two words NOT related to Ocean Cruising are Liner & Boat. Look them up in a good dictionary or online.

It is absolute rubbish to say there is any building difference between ocean liners of yesteryear & todays modern cruise ships. Both are built for purpose to meet the most severe weather conditions. At the time they are built it is the usual way they are designed & built - as with Titanic & others over the ages.

Traditional Ocean Liners were comprised of several classes of transportation on the ship (First, Second, Third, Steerage), with no co-mingling of classes while on the voyage. The first cruise ships were liners re-configured as one class, Cruise ships are now built as one class.