New Dress Code

We are both in our early/mid sixties.

After a career in business suits/ties, etc. we are firmly committed to casual attire. It agrees with our adopted travel style of carry on only.

No issue in dressing for an event at home though these days it is seldom a requirement.

But when we are paying the fare we are customers not guests. We are hardly going to sign up for something that does not meet our lifestyle preferences.

That is why we consider HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Oceania, etc and not Cunard. We have met an ever increasing number of fellow cruisers in our age group who share this preference. I strongly suspect that HAL has arrived at the same conclusion. Celebrity and Princess have been there for quite some time. It is about options. HAL could have kept their former dress code for the MDR only on formal nights. They did not....this was a business decision based on their view of the market and customer preferences.

Edited by iancal

After a career in business suits/ties, etc. we are firmly committed to casual attire. It agrees with our adopted travel style of carry on only.

No issue in dressing for an event at home though these days it is seldom a requirement.

But when we are paying the fare we are customers not guests. We are hardly going to sign up for something that does not meet our lifestyle preferences.

That is why we consider HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Oceania, etc and not Cunard. We have met an ever increasing number of fellow cruisers in our age group who share this preference. I strongly suspect that HAL has arrived at the same conclusion. Celebrity and Princess have been there for quite some time. It is about options. HAL could have kept their former dress code for the MDR only on formal nights. They did not....this was a business decision based on their view of the market and customer preferences.

Very well said.

Dan

Ditto and Thank You!!!! As said in my post we travel carrying on only

And agree 100%! 3 months in Europe the last thing we do is carry formal wear and drag that with is! As said I still enjoy seeing all the nostalgia and dress when we are on the ship! But for us allowing nice collard shirt linen pants dress shoes and me with my little black dress is great!! We have eaten in Michlein restaurants in Paris and will be back at Le Dome in our attire and fit in nicely!

To all enjoy your wonderful cruises and great dinners with style!

Denise:)

I agree fully.....my husband does not want to bring a suit or jacket when travelling for a month. He has no problem wearing a long sleeved dress shirt to the MDR and he brings them along. I don't wear dresses usually but I do wear dressy slacks and fancy tops. Clothes certainly don't make the food taste any better. If you don't want to sit with me because I am not dressed "formally" then it is your loss as you would enjoy my witty company. And if you don't want to sit with me because of what I am wearing, then I certainly don't want to sit with you because you are a snob!!!

Absolutely. We played that 'dress up' game for years and now we're retired. All we want is to be left alone to enjoy our cruise.

Whatever HAL decides the dress code is for Gala or Formal evenings, I wish they would make sure all ships are on the same page.

I had read numerous comments from passengers about the dress for men on these nights and especially since we were headed south to warm weather, I laughed at my husband when he drug out his tux! To me, that just takes up too much space & weight in bags these days with airline baggage charges etc.

He isn't fond of blazers or ties, so he brought very nice dress/collared expensive shirts but that were short sleeved. He was asked when we got to the dining room to please put on the jacket they handed him because of his short sleeves. The husband of the friends we had met was in a very wrinkled jacket with an aloha shirt beneath and wearing his flip flops and apparently that fit the new standard just fine ! :)

We are headed to the Eurodam for the Sept. 27th sailing... so my husband has already asked me what he needs to take this time !!! We are fine with whatever people want to wear, but felt a little sorry for my husband when he was handed the jacket !!! As I mentioned, would wish all ships would get on the same page !!!

Kathy

Whatever HAL decides the dress code is for Gala or Formal evenings, I wish they would make sure all ships are on the same page.

I had read numerous comments from passengers about the dress for men on these nights and especially since we were headed south to warm weather, I laughed at my husband when he drug out his tux! To me, that just takes up too much space & weight in bags these days with airline baggage charges etc.

He isn't fond of blazers or ties, so he brought very nice dress/collared expensive shirts but that were short sleeved. He was asked when we got to the dining room to please put on the jacket they handed him because of his short sleeves. The husband of the friends we had met was in a very wrinkled jacket with an aloha shirt beneath and wearing his flip flops and apparently that fit the new standard just fine ! :)

We are headed to the Eurodam for the Sept. 27th sailing... so my husband has already asked me what he needs to take this time !!! We are fine with whatever people want to wear, but felt a little sorry for my husband when he was handed the jacket !!! As I mentioned, would wish all ships would get on the same page !!!

Kathy

Hi Kathy!

We will be on her when you return to Venice!

As said previously wear what is to your likening and enjoy!

I still will dress and my husband with class and enjoy Gala Nights.

For us as stated : the new dress code which was on the Nieuw on our Carribiean Cruise and very nice smart casual was fine and we are in The Pinnical and husband had no Jacket but a black silk Tommy Bahama dress shirt short sleeves with linen pants and dress shoes! No problem!

Have a great cruise!

Denise:)

A sad tale, but that does not give you the right to be fashion police in the MDR. Maybe you would be happier in the PG, seated at a table by yourself?

It is not so much that the OP wants to be the fashion police in the MDR as he is bemoaning the fact that so many people have lost touch with an era when caring about one's appearance AND showing consideration for others reigned supreme.

And, given the OP's standards, he will NEVER have to sit by himself in the PG or the MDR. There are many of us who understand the desire to show a little class instead of looking for the lowest common denominator in a dress code.

It is not so much that the OP wants to be the fashion police in the MDR ...
Oh, he absolutely does expect to force others to meet what HE considers to be "proper", regardless of what HAL says. Ideally he'd like to drag everyone back a century. Old fashioned does not equal "class".

It is not so much that the OP wants to be the fashion police in the MDR as he is bemoaning the fact that so many people have lost touch with an era when caring about one's appearance AND showing consideration for others reigned supreme.

And, given the OP's standards, he will NEVER have to sit by himself in the PG or the MDR. There are many of us who understand the desire to show a little class instead of looking for the lowest common denominator in a dress code.

In post #26, this thread, OP took the badge of the "fashion police" when he provided his "solution" to correct the behavior of those he felt were inappropriately dressed by publicly embarrassing his fellow passengers.

Let's not blame the Millenials for the "downfall" of fashion on this cruise line. It's the traditionals (the generation, not the fashionistas) and boomers who are finding comfort in their cardigans and T shirts. Just read the many threads on this topic: I'm retired and never want to wear a tie again; we've been cruising for years and just don't want to keep packing tuxes and gowns; etc. The Millenials are generally comfortable in whatever they wear. The income earning ones I know are very appearance-aware. If you say it has to be tuxes, they'll bring tuxes. If you say collared shirts, they'll wear collared shirts. But the parameters had best be set out in digital form or they may not read it. Their jeans are not baggy butt messes like they wore as teens (or that their dads still wear), but are tidy and presentable. They can make jeans, boots and a nice shirt look very classy. They gave up the sk8r boi look when they grew up. I think HAL is hearing the grumbling of their long time customers and combining it with the easy going fashion nature of the thirty-something crowd. They do appear to want to attract the younger generation, but dress codes are just window dressing. They are not going to be deal breakers one way or another. However, here's a heads up for those of you who haven't noticed: the iGens have higher standards. Appearance matters. HAL best be ready for that crew coming through when they start to earn money. They're going to set the world on fire! And as a comet-tail boomer with an iGen daughter, I've got a front row seat to the show! So don't throw out that tux and sparkly gown just yet...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I took my first cruise in 1976 (a 4-nighter to the Bahamas to see if I liked cruising - I did). I have seen many changes since them, some I liked, others not so much. Didn't matter, I adjusted and keep cruising. Change is hard for many people, especially when they get older. Many older people also become more controlling of others as they start to lose control over some of their own lives (driving, mobility, hearing, etc.) Face it, no amount of rants from others on here is going to change some minds. Enjoy your own life and let others do the same. Time for the moderators to lock this thread. (Although I would bet within a week someone would start another one, same subject.)

You mean like spiked blue hair, a hardware store worth of metal in their face and neck tattoos? Right! :D

Now that is just being mean and judgmental. After all it is their vacation and if after working a life time in a suit and tie they wish to go ultra casual why not. I never pay any attention to those around me, I live in a bubble to quote oh so many other cruising public.

You mean like spiked blue hair, a hardware store worth of metal in their face and neck tattoos? Right! :D

Just remember, once upon a time, no truly civilized man would be seen at dinner without a powdered wig and no truly civilized woman would appear without her whalebone corset.

Now that is just being mean and judgmental. After all it is their vacation and if after working a life time in a suit and tie they wish to go ultra casual why not. I never pay any attention to those around me, I live in a bubble to quote oh so many other cruising public.

I would not pretend that I do not notice others around me. I simply choose not to allow trivial behavior like what they wear to dinner affect my enjoyment. It's not what they choose to wear that's important. The important thing is will I act like an adult and take control of my emotional reactions to their choices. I pay too much to cruise to allow my meal to be ruined by whether someone wears a tie to dinner or not.

There have always been young people who have expressed themselves more artistically and perhaps over the top than their peers and elders. They are still an exception and are sadly not likely to be in a demographic earning enough income to cruise. That is, unless they are rock stars or movie stars, in which case they are not likely to be cruising. Don't forget, iGen folks are 5 to 20 years old. My daughter's piercings are far more tasteful than my father's navy tattoos. My nephew is a millenial. Like his peers, his tattoos are tasteful ink even if I don't care for it. You can't say the same for his grandfather's tattoos. My nephew still knows how to dress properly according to his environment. That's more than you can say for many of the older generation who came to his wedding. I'm just saying change is coming and it's not in cardigans and slippers

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped the suit, tie and crisply starched shirt a couple of years ago after a Princess cruise where on formal night they seated a guy at the next table in shorts, t-shirt and flip/flops.

Now I'm blazer, slacks, and open collar-no tie. Come to think of it, it's the same outfit I now wear to church.

It was quite dressed up on the 20 day cruise on the Koningsdam which finished nearly two weeks ago. Especially on the first Christening cruise where the Dutch guests, in particular, were in many cases dazzling! And we're on the second leg very much in the majority. I wished I had not taken one dress out of my suitcase at the last minute.