New Dress Code

It is courtesy to comply with a "suggested" dress code - which in HAL's case involves "suggesting" jacket and tie for gala nights. Of course it is not required - because then it would be a matter of compliance rather than courtesy.

Unfortunately some people will only comply with a code when it is mandatory - believing their personal wishes trump suggested attire. Yes, they have that right - just as I have the right to view their exercise of that right as discourteous.

It is courtesy to comply with a "suggested" dress code - which in HAL's case involves "suggesting" jacket and tie for gala nights. Of course it is not required - because then it would be a matter of compliance rather than courtesy.

Unfortunately some people will only comply with a code when it is mandatory - believing their personal wishes trump suggested attire. Yes, they have that right - just as I have the right to view their exercise of that right as discourteous.

Not in the document it sends to passengers. As the website is constantly changing, often out of date and at times having contradictions from one page to another, many of us simply comply with HAL's expectations as expressed in the document provided directly to us.

Edited by Fouremco

I also have the right to view your belief that your preferences trump my preferences is discourteous as well.

..."Suggestions" are not "requirements". "Minimal courtesy" requires respecting the decisions of others as long as they dress to the code. "Minimal courtesy" does not include that they dress to your desired requirements.

Very well said!

Originally Posted by Mosaic

I often equate this question with FOOD. Do you want quality food in the MDR? Dressed down? Short on presentation? Short on flavor? They often go hand in hand. Having a great burger is equally good, but I can do that any day...

"The best seafood I've eaten wasn't wearing my finery in a five-star restaurant but wearing cutoffs and a t-shirt enjoying a lobster-boil on the beach."

I mentioned having a great burger can be just as good as a 5 star dinning experience...BUT this is not the beach. When I show up in my pj's, aka, whitey tighty's, are YOU going to be happy with that? It is the Venue/Food/Presentation and Expectation that matters here. Most of the best food is not served on the beach, although Joe Beef having dinner on the ice is a very different story!

Perhaps you didn't realize you were on the HAL boards - I've never seen "schlubs who insist on their jeans and tee shirts" on a Gala or Formal night in a HAL MDR.

:D

Yes, I am aware, and I was also aware of jeans and tee shirt combo in MDR on formal night on Oosterdam from Seattle to Alaska.

It did not have any impact on my dinner, but it did give meaning to the term "schlub".

The decline in food quality has nothing to do with how the passengers dress and everything to do with the desires of the cruising public for cut-rate fares. You'll still find high quality dining with superior presentation in the specialty restaurants.

BTW, the majority of the 'higher quality' cruise lines do not do formal/gala/chic nights but are smart casual all the time in all dining venues. Those cruise lines that have implemented special dining areas for suites passengers do not observe formal/gala/chic nights in those venues either.

One of the things I liked best about Oceania was no formal nights with smart casual in the dining room for dinner! Also no photographers harassing you and specialty restaurants were no charge!

From our perspective the nonsense about evoking the grand traditions of cruising is a bit of a joke considering the decline in the quality of the formal night dinner and the cutbacks in service.

HAL would do well to evoke some of their own traditions and up their MDR game substantially on formal nights before requesting the same from their customers.

Edited by iancal

Bottom line....there is. NO requirement for jacket and tie. HAL spells it out very clearly. To imply otherwise is simply not factual.

Too many posters seem to want to insert their own version of prefererences/opinions into the HAL wordings.

Agree. And we will not be bringing these, nor tuxes or gowns.

From our perspective the nonsense about evoking the grand traditions of cruising is a bit of a joke considering the decline in the quality of the formal night dinner and the cutbacks in service.

HAL would do well to evoke some of their own traditions and up their MDR game substantially on formal nights before requesting the same from their customers.

Agree. They did not even bother to cover the chairs on any of the formal nights on our last cruise.

Why did you exclude the operative part of my post: "... when in a situation where it is requested to wear more than the usual..." referring to such dress code as may exist? I am referring to the schlubs who insist on their jeans and tee shirts when jacket and tie is suggested - and jeans and tee shirts are specified as inappropriate.

Of course, even when stated, dress codes are not generally enforced - which essentially nods approval to pretty much anything.

On an Alaska cruise last year, not long before "formal" was changed to "gala", there were two young chaps who attended the first formal dinner wearing jeans, T-shirts and baseball caps. They did, however, have jackets. Perhaps the jackets were provided by the maître d'.

On a previous thread someone mentioned that we should not judge those men who wear hats indoors because there may be a medical or religious reason - fair enough. But in this case, if these two were wearing their baseball caps for medical reasons they had a miraculous recovery because they did not do so again on the subsequent formal night or even the casual nights. Similarly, if they were being worn for religious reasons the two became atheists by the next evening.:)

Well stated. We simply do not see the dining experience in the MDR as sufficiently upscale to justify the formal wear hassle. Do something on the order of Le Cirque and I might consider bringing formal wear.

One of the things I liked best about Oceania was no formal nights with smart casual in the dining room for dinner!

However, on Oceania people actually dress up to the level of "smart casual". Overall, it is a much dressier crowd than you find on HAL's smart casual nights.

Hopefully I've managed to attach a photo of the dress code notice displayed outside the Zuiderdam Vista dining room on gala nights. We returned Friday from the 24 night Norway/Scotland & Baltic/Sweden b2b cruise. I attended all 4 gala nights and having read the latest US info on dress codes I was very happy that there was no need to pack a jacket or tie. I can confirm that the shirt does not have to be long sleeved just not a polo shirt.

The majority of men were wearing casual jackets and ties and I only saw a couple in penguin suits (tuxes). On the 3rd visit I was offered a jacket by the Maitre'D which I respectfully declined.

I forgot to go to the Lido to see how busy it was with people dressing casually but not aware of the latest dress code shown on the US site. Unfortunately the updated dress code is not shown on the UK HAL website and presumably not on other non-US ones so I can imagine quite a few will have gone to the Lido rather than upset the judgemental people that have their cruise ruined by what others are wearing.

DSCF5215.JPG.93b1b808b8e67de47a7be1703298e391.JPG

Edited by clivep

I see the sign says no polo shirts. Not that my husband would have worn just that, but I thought the last notice on the website said collared shirt.

On the Eurodam last week there was a beverage staff person wearing a long sleeve white polo working in the main dining room on the 2nd Gala Night. (also wearing Khaki pants)

where does it state that jacket & tie are suggested?

This is what I find: Quote

CLOTHING

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts,

pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirt and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants . For ladies, dressy attire is appropriate, dresses skirts and slacks are all acceptable. Unquote

However, on Oceania people actually dress up to the level of "smart casual". Overall, it is a much dressier crowd than you find on HAL's smart casual nights.

Completely agree...Years ago (2007 & 2011) when we cruised on Oceania, I wore the clothes which I wore on HAL as Oceania Psgrs were dressier.. DH even wore a jacket many times only because he finds most dining rooms cold.. We were not overdressed..

I still intend to take some of my dressier clothes on our next HAL cruise, as that is the only time I get to wear them & I really enjoy dressing up!!:)..

I still intend to take some of my dressier clothes on our next HAL cruise, as that is the only time I get to wear them & I really enjoy dressing up!!:)..

Of course. My dressy clothes love to go out and play. Besides, what's the point in having fabulous jewelry if you don't get to wear it? :D

Serendipity, the website's Q&A section includes the following:

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

On the other hand, the KBYG document sent to passengers simply mentions the requirement for a collared shirt and slacks, with no mention whatsoever of jacket and tie.