Solar string lights on Balcony?

Npants

Your neighbors may not appreciate a lit up balcony at night...many like the darkness to star-gaze!

A very good point!

I bet I could clip them along the top of our slider valance on the inside and have the sensor face outside, this way we could have the glow in the room…this

may even be better:D

Edited by Npants
correct

I recall reading a review of a balcony dinner were a battery powered candle had been left on a balcony. The couple reported how they were woken a little while later by a Fire Team bursting into their cabin to tackle a potential blaze on the balcony.

I would be very surprised if Princess would allow any rogue lights on a balcony which could be mistaken for the start of a fire.

There is staff on the bridge with binoculars who monitor not just the seas ahead but the balconies as well. If you think your balcony is private, it probably isn't. They'll see any slight change in light and report it.

f03e6904d31f95bd64a9e605c52aa4cf.jpg

Pam is correct plus they also have CCT on the bridge that sweep the sides of the ship. Another issue is in some environments the ships are requested not to use any lights other than navigational lights as lighting at night plays havoc with some birds and wildlife.

There is staff on the bridge with binoculars who monitor not just the seas ahead but the balconies as well. If you think your balcony is private, it probably isn't. They'll see any slight change in light and report it.

f03e6904d31f95bd64a9e605c52aa4cf.jpg

This is why it's important to rig your tarp (making a covered balcony) first.

A very good point!

I bet I could clip them along the top of our slider valance on the inside and have the sensor face outside, this way we could have the glow in the room…this

may even be better:D

Leave them home. Stringing lights over fabric is definitely a fire hazard.

If you need a glow in the room, bring a small plug in night light.

I was on a cruise dead center in the middle of the ship w/balcony. I tied a towel on the railing so when we got off at the port I could take a pic. So when you looked at the pic you could tell which balcony was ours. However, by time we got off the ship and I was taking the pic I did not see my towel?? So the next day I did the same thing once again I saw nothing when going to take the pic?? When we returned from port the cabin steward was there to greet us back on board:). Yes he did greet us, and he knew what we were doing with the towel (because we were not the first) but did let us know that we were absolutely not allowed to put anything on the balcony for safety reasons. In the cabin steward's defense he may have been a little stern when telling us, however it was in a very polite way.

I've put up Christmas tree lights in my cabin and plugged them into the electrical outlet. They were just a short string and I didn't put them on any fabric. I usually put them around the mirror. Nothing on the balcony, though.

I took a small string of solar lights on our first cruise, which was over Christmas 2014. I wound them around the balcony railing. The steward had someone check them and, as they were solar powered, I was allowed to have them there. The lights were not bright enough to cast any light off the balcony, each bulb just gave a dim glow - pretty when you were close to them though. They didn't affect our night vision at all when we were sitting on the balcony looking out to sea. They certainly wouldn't have affected anyone in adjacent cabins.

However I wouldn't bother taking them again.

We decorated our mid-ships suite balcony rail on Island last Christmas with flashing led lights. The lights were secured to the rail using cable ties. Not the first time we have done it, but previous time was aft facing, and we always turn them off before we go to bed.

This year on the first evening I had a visit from security saying the staff captain had called from the bridge and I was to remove them, which I did.

The next morning was the Meet 'n' Greet which was attended by both the Captain and the Staff Captain and I decided to apologise to them for having to send security to my cabin.

The response was interesting.

The Staff Captain said 'Nothing to do with me', I didn't send them, but a lot of things get done in my name. It must have been the officer of the watch'.

The Captain then said 'Oh I saw them and thought they were quite nice'.

The Staff Captain then added 'they probably were worried about electrical safety and thought you were running a mains cable from inside the cabin'.

When I said that they were waterproof low voltage outdoor lights and were battery powered, both said no problem them, put them back, which I did.

I did however contact our cabin steward's supervisor who had arrived with security the previous evening and advised her of the conversation and she thanked me for informing her.

No problems after that, and all I got was positive comments from my neighbours and the folks above.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Thank you for all the positive replies:). I'll be double checking the policy once onboard.

It's a short string with very little light, they don't get hot and the bulb is encased in the plastic star, and they are solar, no plugging in...they're pretty darn safe.

At the very least, I'm thinking I can set the sensor next to the slider and even have the lights on top of the counter under the TV…I see a little rail around the counter that they could hang on.

I could also just bring them out out on the balcony when we are out there, scattered on top of a little table (is there a little table:confused:), that could be fun when sitting out with a glass of wine. They are more about atmosphere than lighting up a space. I use many of these strings in creative ways around my home and garden….mainly due to our love of stargazing here in Tucson. Its a soft/subtle way to light when outside.

And if I don't get enough light to charge them:eek:, this will all be a moot point. :D

Edited by Npants