Any Tips or Tricks for the Cruise Card?

HI-C-Dubs

I use a wristlet (Like the Kate Spade Bee). It holds my cruise card, my coffee card, a chap stick, and a pair of foldable reading glasses. I just hang it off my wrist and go.

That's a good idea. I'm going to go look at the KS website.

I always use a lanyard. :D I rarely have a pocket in my pants or sundress. It is probably less an issue for men as they always have a pocket! I also found a plastic sleeve to add to the lanyard for my coffee card so both items are on my person at all times.

I cannot begin to count over all our cruises how many cruise cards we have picked up off the decks or seen left behind when people leave bars, the theater, the pool area, etc.

I suggest that you tuck your lanyard beneath your clothing once of the ship. I also do not use the Princess bag on shore.

Thanks for all the tips, especially the one using the cruise card to scrape off ice post cruise... :D haha! I am very surprised that the cruise card are getting demagnetized by cell phones? That doesn't happen with my other cards... I'll try the RFID blocker thing and if it does/doesn't work I'll let you know :) and I'll bring a couple of the 1,984 lanyards my wife doesn't know what to do with along for the cruise

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the tips, especially the one using the cruise card to scrape off ice post cruise... :D haha! I am very surprised that the cruise card are getting demagnetized by cell phones? That doesn't happen with my other cards... I'll try the RFID blocker thing and if it does/doesn't work I'll let you know :) and I'll bring a couple of the 1,984 lanyards my wife doesn't know what to do with along for the cruise

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The magnet clip on my purse and my cell phone don't bother my cards BUT they certainly do my Cruise Card. :eek:

The magnet clip on my purse and my cell phone don't bother my cards BUT they certainly do my Cruise Card. :eek:

That is because Princess doesn't use HiCo cards. I compared my latest cruise card to my Debit Card and my debit card mag stripe is black while my Princess cruise mag stripe is brown.

For those who are interested:

Magstripes come in two main varieties: high-coercivity (HiCo) at 4000 Oe and low-coercivity (LoCo) at 300 Oe, but it is not infrequent to have intermediate values at 2750 Oe. High-coercivity magstripes require higher amount of magnetic energy to encode, and therefore are harder to erase. HiCo stripes are appropriate for cards that are frequently used, such as a credit card. Other card uses include time and attendance tracking, access control, library cards, employee ID cards and gift cards. Low-coercivity magstripes require a lower amount of magnetic energy to record, and hence the card writers are much cheaper than machines which are capable of recording high-coercivity magstripes. However, LoCo cards are much easier to erase and have a shorter lifespan. Typical LoCo applications include hotel room keys, time and attendance tracking, bus/transit tickets and season passes for theme parks. A card reader can read either type of magstripe, and a high-coercivity card writer may write both high and low-coercivity cards (most have two settings, but writing a LoCo card in HiCo may sometimes work), while a low-coercivity card writer may write only low-coercivity cards.

In practical terms, usually low coercivity magnetic stripes are a brown color, and high coercivity stripes are nearly black; exceptions include a proprietary silver-colored formulation on transparent American Express cards. High coercivity stripes are resistant to damage from most magnets likely to be owned by consumers. Low coercivity stripes are easily damaged by even a brief contact with a magnetic purse strap or fastener. Because of this, virtually all bank cards today are encoded on high coercivity stripes despite a slightly higher per-unit cost.

Edited by cflutist

Hate lanyards! Had to wear one in my last job. Just like name tags. Hate those too. I have a small leather folder, similar to a business card holder. Holds my cruise card, coffee card and any cash I need (tips to bathroom attendants, deck hands, cleaners etc.... love the smiles on their faces when they get an unexpected tip) and cash for the poker table or slots. Don't like to charge the cruise card; it's too darn easy!

Unrelated pet peeve: those stupid wrist bands like the ones they put on you at all-inclusive resorts, theme parks or the port shuttle at St. Martin. UGH!

Harry

The "best" lanyard is one I have is from another cruise line. I have used that one of previous cruises (none Princess) and it is a great conversation starter as it is from a cruise line many have heard of, but not many have traveled. Good way to meet people!

That is because Princess doesn't use HiCo cards. I compared my latest cruise card to my Debit Card and my debit card mag stripe is black while my Princess cruise mag stripe is brown.

Thanks for explaining!

Feel sure some others have wondered as well!

Was upset when I was lining up on last RCI cruise for third card as others had stopped working, until I talked to another passenger who was on their sixth card. From memory it was only a 10 day cruise!

i never wear cruise card or lanyard on shore, but find it convenient on board. When I used to work I had to wear one every day so it doesn't worry me and saves me losing my card.

Looking like a tourist - years ago my daughter told me to try to not look like a tourist when on shore. I looked at her and said that was going to be difficult, our skin was the wrong colour from the locals and we dressed very differently ie no sarongs, however I do try to not be obtrusive.

I got a bunch of credit card RDIF sleeves from Amazon and keep my cruise card in one, even when using a lanyard. I have a Kindle with an origami magnetic cover that has accidentally demagnetized my cruise card quite a few times. The RFID sleeve has made a huge difference.

THANK YOU Pam! You've just clarified my next purchase for my cruise. My local branch of the State Motoring organisation has RFID card you place in your purse/wallet in front of your card to protect it. I have a small zipped purse that will fit the cards nicely and has a ring so I can clip it on my lanyard-use 1 for my house key and have NEVER locked myself out, unlike other family members who won't use a lanyard!

Myself and my kids wear lanyards most of the time while onboard, but my husband usually throws his card with lanyard in his pocket. That being said, as soon as we leave the ship in port I collect them and tuck them safely into my purse.

I haven't cruised before, but probably will forego using a lanyard. But can someone advise the dimensions of the cruise card and the coffee card in case we decide to use some sort of plastic sleeve. Thanks.

Both the same size as a credit card or business card.

No lanyard for me. Might as well have a name tag on your shirt too

I choose not to look like a tourist.

When I want to look less touristy, I stick the card inside my shirt on the lanyard. Easy to get at and does not show.

DON

However you carry it, please just have it out and ready when you disembark and embark the ship. Nothing worse than getting behind someone (or several someones) who don't wear a lanyard and instead have their card tucked away somewhere and don't recall where it is. Holding up the line while you search for it..way less cool than wearing a lanyard.

Princess gives you a little card holder if you are in a suite. I keep it in there with my coffee card and some cash for tips.

Tony

Not always. The one time we stayed in a suite we did not receive a card holder.

For those who are interested:

Magstripes come in two main varieties: high-coercivity (HiCo) at 4000 Oe and low-coercivity (LoCo) at 300 Oe, but it is not infrequent to have intermediate values at 2750 Oe. High-coercivity magstripes require higher amount of magnetic energy to encode, and therefore are harder to erase. HiCo stripes are appropriate for cards that are frequently used, such as a credit card. Other card uses include time and attendance tracking, access control, library cards, employee ID cards and gift cards. Low-coercivity magstripes require a lower amount of magnetic energy to record, and hence the card writers are much cheaper than machines which are capable of recording high-coercivity magstripes. However, LoCo cards are much easier to erase and have a shorter lifespan. Typical LoCo applications include hotel room keys, time and attendance tracking, bus/transit tickets and season passes for theme parks. A card reader can read either type of magstripe, and a high-coercivity card writer may write both high and low-coercivity cards (most have two settings, but writing a LoCo card in HiCo may sometimes work), while a low-coercivity card writer may write only low-coercivity cards.

In practical terms, usually low coercivity magnetic stripes are a brown color, and high coercivity stripes are nearly black; exceptions include a proprietary silver-colored formulation on transparent American Express cards. High coercivity stripes are resistant to damage from most magnets likely to be owned by consumers. Low coercivity stripes are easily damaged by even a brief contact with a magnetic purse strap or fastener. Because of this, virtually all bank cards today are encoded on high coercivity stripes despite a slightly higher per-unit cost.

Thanks for the above. I once had to have a hotel key card reprogrammed several times because, as they finally explained to me, I was keeping it in the same pocket as my cell phone. I now keep all cards away from my phone and haven't had a problem since.

During my last cruise, I put my cruise card in the same pocket as my magnetic clip-on sun glasses a couple of times. This made my cruise card inoperable and I got to meet some of the nice front desk staff.

I don't wear a lanyard unless it is required (Scout Jamboree, proctoring exams, etc). I'm on a CRUISE, for pete's sake, not work. That said, I have a couple of very thin wallets that hold my cruise card, ID and a couple of pieces of paper money (one has the logo of a different cruise line...a gift when we boarded.). Very thin, and always in a pocket for quick access. Nothing could be easier.

As for the ice scraping after the cruise, I have a better use for the card. All 25 of mine are now in a binder made for business cards (I emptied it when I retired). Fun to go back, thumb through and remember the highlights of each cruise. Invaluable when DW asks "When was it we did that cruise with Keith?"

Edited by UpcountryTravelers