Another San Diego Muck up....

IRL_Joanie

Just a real quick note...before I forget this one...

I think a number of San Diego's problems could be caused by their not knowing 1 ship's name from another.......

Case in point 25 April 2016 departure of Nieuw Amsterdam. Plainly known by one and all, not only by the name on the side of the ship, by size difference, etc....AND yet, San Diego signs even as you enter the terminal all stated "ms Amsterdam."

You'd think that with some of the $$$$$ spent on the unusable new terminal they could at least spend all of $5-10.00 per signage to have correct signs out for the ship......

Just my first rant as I get my head back to normal and body/brain eased a bit. It will take me a few days to get things together to do so.

Joanie

Joanie, thanks for the tip about the Best Western in San Diego - couldn't get it for our pre-cruise night (sold out) but got it reserved for our post-cruise night! We're allowing extra time for San Diego's mess. No last minutes arrivals, no sweating getting to a noon flight.

Hope you both had a wonderful time! m--

Edited by RMLincoln

Joanie, thanks for the tip about the Best Western in San Diego - couldn't get it for our pre-cruise night (sold out) but got it reserved for our post-cruise night! We're allowing extra time for San Diego's mess. No last minutes arrivals, no sweating getting to a noon flight.

We also took Joanie's tip about the Best Western Plus in San Diego and were very pleased. It is a great location and walking distance to most everything. We thanked her when we saw her on the NA:)

The one thing different we did on our cruise from San Diego in April was we didn't go to the port until around 1:30 and we breezed right on.

Welcome home Joanie!

The "unusable new terminal" was in service today. That is why it was built.....to handle a second ship in port on the same day. The "Maasdam" sailed on time at 4 pm from there while the "Disney Wonder" was at B Street. The signage in the terminal is handled by the San Diego Port District, not Holland America Line. The shoreside employees have nothing to do with either the Port or ILWU (porters). We not responsible for the weather, delayed flights, US Customs under staffing, non-US guests not reporting for immigration on time, luggage taken by the wrong person, or lack of nearby parking.....yet somehow we have to deal with these complaints and issues . We do our very best to make your vacation dreams a reality. I love my job and so do my co-workers.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

The "unusable new terminal" was in service today. That is why it was built.....to handle a second ship in port on the same day. The "Maasdam" sailed on time at 4 pm from there while the "Disney Wonder" was at B Street. The signage in the terminal is handled by the San Diego Port District, not Holland America Line. The shoreside employees have nothing to do with either the Port or ILWU (porters). We not responsible for the weather, delayed flights, US Customs under staffing, non-US guests not reporting for immigration on time, luggage taken by the wrong person, or lack of nearby parking.....yet somehow we have to deal with these complaints and issues . We do our very best to make your vacation dreams a reality. I love my job and so do my co-workers.

David

Awesome post; Thanks! :)

As long as you understand that San Diego is not a well-oiled disembarkation port, sit back, enjoy the usually beautiful weather and make arrangements that incorporate any of the oft repeated issues.

Have had excellent luck in SD and made an 11 am flight on more than 1 occasion.

Not exactly right on topic, but I am looking for some info about the Best Western Plus. Specifically, since we will be flying from the east coast before boarding a 33 day cruise next spring, we want to be close to a large drugstore or supermarket where we can stock up on toiletries, OTC medications, etc. so as not to add to the weight of our bags. Is there such a place within walking distance of the hotel? Thanks for any help.

Not exactly right on topic, but I am looking for some info about the Best Western Plus. Specifically, since we will be flying from the east coast before boarding a 33 day cruise next spring, we want to be close to a large drugstore or supermarket where we can stock up on toiletries, OTC medications, etc. so as not to add to the weight of our bags. Is there such a place within walking distance of the hotel? Thanks for any help.

We use the Rite Aid about 4 short blocks from the ship. Easy walk IMO. They have a pretty good wine selection (for a drugstore) with decent pricing. Wine sales were restricted to a certain early time, but I do not remember what it was and which day(s) of the week - call the store to ask if you think this will be an issue for you.

Exit the pier and turn left on Harbor Drive, walk to Ash Street (just past the Wyndam hotel) and turn right. Two blocks up, passing the railroad tracks you will find Rite Aid on your left.

Edited by DaveOKC

Thank you for the heads up. San Diego must be the pits. I can't tell you how many times I have been confused with the ship I am sailing and getting the name right. After reading some of the other posts I can see why. After all who could put up with close hotels, close amenities store and the possibility of getting an early flight out. And that constant 60-80 degree weather. I guess convenience isn't part of your criteria for a nice port. San Pedro and Long Beach are so much better ports to sail into.

Thank you for the heads up. San Diego must be the pits. I can't tell you how many times I have been confused with the ship I am sailing and getting the name right. After reading some of the other posts I can see why. After all who could put up with close hotels, close amenities store and the possibility of getting an early flight out. And that constant 60-80 degree weather. I guess convenience isn't part of your criteria for a nice port. San Pedro and Long Beach are so much better ports to sail into.

There is no doubt San Diego is a much nicer port to sail from, convenience wise, than L.A. (San Pedro/Long Beach) and I live ten min away from Pedro. There is nothing even remotely close (shopping, restaurants, things to do within walking distance), to either San Pedro and/or Long Beach that compares to SD

Sorry to hear that people are having a poor experience with San Diego. I've sailed from there several times, the last this past October on the Noordam, and haven't had any trouble. I did however check in after 1 pm on all occasions and disembarked with my bags. I made early flights every time.

Joanie, we experienced the same thing the last time we sailed from the Port of San Diego. We got in the wrong line and didn't know it until we got to the front of the line. :o

Per the Port of San Diego website "A new service for passengers of select cruise lines allows them to skip baggage claim at the airport. Cruise line representatives will pick up guests’ checked items and deliver them directly to the ship. Please check with your cruise line or travel agent to arrange for this service". Does HAL offer this service?

Edited by qsuzi

There is no doubt San Diego is a much nicer port to sail from, convenience wise, than L.A. (San Pedro/Long Beach) and I live ten min away from Pedro. There is nothing even remotely close (shopping, restaurants, things to do within walking distance), to either San Pedro and/or Long Beach that compares to SD

San Diego sure is a great port convenience wise and is one of the best ports for things to do and see, good weather, and scenic sail aways. What do you think can be done, if anything, to improve embarkation and disembarkation? The worst embarkations (HAL only) and especially disembarkations we have ever experienced in almost 40 cruises were from the Port of San Diego.

Edited by qsuzi

Case in point 25 April 2016 departure of Nieuw Amsterdam. Plainly known by one and all, not only by the name on the side of the ship, by size difference, etc....AND yet, San Diego signs even as you enter the terminal all stated "ms Amsterdam."

What a nightmare! How ever did you find the correct ship? Any guess as to how many people missed the cruise because of this blunder?

Which hotel did you use. I googled BW+ and got several.