Salads in the Royal's IC

EZ2CY

I know this is a small issue, but I was wondering if the salad selection in the IC on the Royal change throughout a 7 day cruise? DH and I sailed on the Regal, loved the ship, loved the IC for lunch BUT the same salads were served all week long. I didn't mind but DH was on his first cruise and frankly thought it was fairly strange.

So.. on the Royal.... Same salads in the IC for weeks on end? Or do they rotate a bit? We'll be on a 10 day cruise this next time. Not sure even I want the same selection for that long.

I know this is a small issue, but I was wondering if the salad selection in the IC on the Royal change throughout a 7 day cruise? DH and I sailed on the Regal, loved the ship, loved the IC for lunch BUT the same salads were served all week long. I didn't mind but DH was on his first cruise and frankly thought it was fairly strange.

So.. on the Royal.... Same salads in the IC for weeks on end? Or do they rotate a bit? We'll be on a 10 day cruise this next time. Not sure even I want the same selection for that long.

You do know there's a salad bar, right? You can make your own.... the Royal operates the same way as the Regal does....

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

You do know there's a salad bar, right? You can make your own.... the Royal operates the same way as the Regal does....

Thanks, yes I do. :) But we prefer the atmosphere of The Atrium. It was our favorite place on the Regal to grab a latte and a bite to eat. We were just surprised they had the same salads every day. Tasty as they were, it would have been nice to see a new one or two on the 3rd or 4th day.

They do rotate salads on Royal but I think I only saw 3 or 4 different ones. I have the opposite problem. They used to serve the Chicken Waldorf Salad every day on the ships but our last 2 cruises - Caribbean and Royal, it was only served twice on a 7/10 day cruise. I want it every day! :D

Edited by MustangGT

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the salad selection in the IC can be dependent on the offerings in the Horizon Court from the day before? See a steak dish in the HC, next day see a cold steak salad in the IC. Maybe it's just me, or maybe a conspiracy? lol

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the salad selection in the IC can be dependent on the offerings in the Horizon Court from the day before? See a steak dish in the HC, next day see a cold steak salad in the IC. Maybe it's just me, or maybe a conspiracy? lol

Wow I never noticed :eek: but I will look for it now.

Tony

Not just you. It happens. Of course they want as little wastage as possible, I presume day three it's in the crew mess in some form or another. Same as if there is beef one day, the next day you can almost bet that their will be a beef based dish in the buffet.

The IC salads may be the same rotation every day on a 7 day cruise because they aren't the only offering for lunch. They also serve sandwiches , soups and desserts.

We enjoy the cafe at all different times of the day but don't eat lunch there all the time. There is so much variety in other venues for lunch on the ship.

They do rotate salads on Royal but I think I only saw 3 or 4 different ones. I have the opposite problem. They used to serve the Chicken Waldorf Salad every day on the ships but our last 2 cruises - Caribbean and Royal, it was only served twice on a 7/10 day cruise. I want it every day! :D

Hey, MustangGT, don't despair. I love this salad too and make it every summer. Here's the recipe:

Princess Chicken and Cashew Waldorf Salad

2 ½ oz. cashews

2 c. roasted chicken cut in bite-size pieces

1 Granny Smith apple; cored, peeled and chopped

2 celery stalks, sliced diagonally

½ small onion, chopped

⅓ c. mayonnaise

⅓ c. plain yogurt

⅓ c. coconut milk

1 t. Worcestershire sauce

½ t. grated lemon zest

1 pinch grated nutmeg

Salt and white pepper

Preheat oven to 350° F. Place cashews on a dry baking sheet in a single even layer. Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes until cashews are toasted and lightly browned. Remove from oven. Cool completely before adding to salad. Reserve 2 T. cashews for garnish.

Stir together mayonnaise, yogurt and coconut milk in a small bowl. Add Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, and lemon zest and blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

In a medium bowl, combine chicken, apple, celery, onion and toasted cashews. Pour the mayonnaise mixture on top and mix well.

Garnish with reserved 2 T. cashews and serve.

Credit goes to Mary Ellen1 who posted it in the forum 6 years ago! :eek:

Enjoy!

Sandy :)

I would agree that the salads are rotated each day and that there are probably 4 or 5 in the rotation. We quite enjoy the chicken Waldorf described above as well as the shrimp salad. I am surprised to learn that is not necessarily the case on the Regal.

2 ½ oz. cashews

½ small onion, chopped

⅓ c. mayonnaise

⅓ c. plain yogurt

⅓ c. coconut milk

½ t. grated lemon zest

1 pinch grated nutmeg

Salt and white pepper

Preheat oven to 350° F. Place cashews on a dry baking sheet in a single even layer. Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes until cashews are toasted and lightly browned. Remove from oven. Cool completely before adding to salad. Reserve 2 T. cashews for garnish.

Stir together mayonnaise, yogurt and coconut milk in a small bowl. Add Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, and lemon zest and blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

In a medium bowl, combine chicken, apple, celery, onion and toasted cashews. Pour the mayonnaise mixture on top and mix well.

Sounds delicious!

Amen, Mustang. I also would like to see the chocolate peanut butter cup more often.

No, but I hope someone does.

Easy fix, Princess is great about sharing recipes. Just fill out this form and you're all set.

http://www.princess.com/customer_care/emailform.jsp?cat=GI&subcat=s1&subject=Request%20for%20Recipes%20and%20Bar/Wine%20Information&utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=sales:565526

Thanks! Just filled out the form. If Princess sends the recipe I'll definitely share here!

Why not go to the buffet and make your own salad.

Originally Posted by IECalCruiser View Post

I don't know about the Royal, but there were different salads in the IC on the Sapphire last month. Instead of the various salads mention above, these were the salads at the IC one day:

Goat Cheese, Roasted Bell Pepper, Toasted Almonds and Orso Pasta Salad, Cranberry Vinaigrette

Mixed Green Salad

Shrimp, Radish and Chick Peas Salad with Preserved Lemon,Taboule Style

Chicken Rotisserie Salad with Pineapple, Lime-Curry Creamy Dressing

Watermelon Caprese Salad with Tomato, Mozzarella and Arugula

Found the above in a thread from 2014. THIS is the type of salad fare I'm looking for. For lunch, other than in the IC, is something like this available elsewhere on the Royal? Prepared salads like the above are something I've never seen in the buffet. Am I just missing seeing them? Making my own from the salad bar really isn't the same thing. :confused:

Hey, MustangGT, don't despair. I love this salad too and make it every summer. Here's the recipe:

2 ½ oz. cashews

½ small onion, chopped

⅓ c. mayonnaise

⅓ c. plain yogurt

⅓ c. coconut milk

½ t. grated lemon zest

1 pinch grated nutmeg

Salt and white pepper

Enjoy!

Thanks Sandy! I will have to try this! Of course, nothing tastes better than a salad someone else has made! :D

2 ½ oz. cashews

½ small onion, chopped

⅓ c. mayonnaise

⅓ c. plain yogurt

⅓ c. coconut milk

½ t. grated lemon zest

1 pinch grated nutmeg

Salt and white pepper

Enjoy!

Sounds very tempting.....:):):)

Bob

Thanks Sandy! I will have to try this! Of course, nothing tastes better than a salad someone else has made! :D

Sounds very tempting.....:):):)

Bob

Yesterday, we went to visit our son, DIL and their 5 week old baby boy (our first grandchild) so I made this salad to take for lunch. Made it the night before so all the flavours had time to blend and then served it on a bed or romaine lettuce. It sure was good although our son suggested that some crumbled bacon would have added some nice flavour. :D

Hope EZ2CY gets the shrimp recipe from Princess. I did a search thru CC but didn't find any posts about this salad. Can't eat shrimp so have never tried it.

Edited by Northern Light