Taking Meds in bottles or pill containers?

Coachyo

So daughter has a ton of Meds for seizures and several other medical issues. We have them in a pill container fir 2 weeks at a time. Do we have to have the original containers or can we use our box?

We have pictures on our phones of the Meds in original containers with Dr names and dosing info.

We also have 2 members in family with epi pens they carry. Any issues there?

They just carry the pens in their plastic containers.

What do we have to do with them, anything?

Thanks, YO

We brought epipens for my son and had absolutely no issues. We had one in a carryon and one in my wife's backpack. Didn't notify security in advance or anything. Same at the airport.

As for pills, we carry vitamins and other medication in empty pill bottles or the weeklong containers. We don't bring the original bottles and have also had no issues.

It all comes down to the law and if you want to gamble getting caught. The law in most US states, not sure if there's a federal law, says all prescription medication (not over-the-counter) must be stored in its original bottle with the prescription label on it. If you get caught with prescription medication not stored in its original bottle, even if it's in one of those "M-T-W-TH-F-Sat-Sun" containers, and especially if it's a controlled substance, you can be arrested.

With that being said, I wasn't aware of this and threw my medication in baggies and labeled them with what they were.. and two of them were controlled substances... No one said a thing.. but if Customs decided to check my baggage randomly I think I would have been in a world of hurt.

-Keith

You can request extra bottles for the meds (with labels) from the pharmacy. This way you can pack the amount you need in a prescription bottle (just in case). It's what I do if I forget to save empty bottles from the previous month for my trip. I don't want to travel with 30 pulls...but I've seen people arrested for having pills in baggies...and they were prescription pills, not from the street pills. Better safe than sorry in my mind. :)

I too have a LOT of meds and insulins. Whenever I travel I have two hard combination lock cases. I paid about $10 each at Walmart. When we pack, I put all my meds in individual pill pouches (am pm) for each day of the cruise. My insulin pens fit right into inside cover of the cases. I then put all the original pill bottles in the two lock cases along with a complete med list on my Doctors letterhead and signed. I also keep a second copy in my checked luggage . I keep the meds in my carry on. If you sail domestic you might not have to worry as much, but if it's outside the USA you don't need any hassles. Also make sure you carry more than you need incase your diverted or other unforeseen circumstances.

So daughter has a ton of Meds for seizures and several other medical issues. We have them in a pill container fir 2 weeks at a time. Do we have to have the original containers or can we use our box?

We have pictures on our phones of the Meds in original containers with Dr names and dosing info.

We also have 2 members in family with epi pens they carry. Any issues there?

They just carry the pens in their plastic containers.

What do we have to do with them, anything?

Thanks, YO

OP, where are you embarking from?

All of the above are great answers unless you are flying to your cruise outside of the USofA. If I read other threads correctly about this topic, some countries will give you trouble for just bringing certain OTC meds.

We travel regularly from New Zealand and always carry the medication we need in the original containers till we arrive abroad. Then my wife fills the daily boxes for us to take as and when for the period we are in a single foreign country. For each country we visit we redo the boxes. On the boat we just fill for as long as they last; then refill.

Better safe than sorry. She was a pharmacist (it was on earlier arrival documents; now they say retired; but we assume the original still appears in certain countries databases!!) and has had her handbag swabbed more than once.

I'm going to give you the 100% by the book answer. It is illegal to posses or transport any prescription drug outside of it's original container. In reality, 99% chance you'll be fine, with no issues. But, again, technically it's illegal.

Whatever works for you...there is no law they must be in the original bottles...nor do you need written permission for them.

This is simply not true in most states in the US. There are in fact laws on the books that require prescription meds to be possessed and transported in their original bottles with labels in tact.

I'm going to give you the 100% by the book answer. It is illegal to posses or transport any prescription drug outside of it's original container. In reality, 99% chance you'll be fine, with no issues. But, again, technically it's illegal.

Unfortunately this is an incorrect statement. It is very rare that anyone has prescription drugs in the original container, they have been repackaged by the pharmacy. What is illegal is to carry prescription drugs without a valid prescription, and the easiest way to prove that used to be in pharmacy bottles. Since almost all physicians now store their medical records electronically, including your prescription records it is quite easy to prove that you have a valid prescription.

When entering some countries even if you have a valid prescription it is still illegal to bring in certain medicines.

Unfortunately this is an incorrect statement. It is very rare that anyone has prescription drugs in the original container, they have been repackaged by the pharmacy. What is illegal is to carry prescription drugs without a valid prescription, and the easiest way to prove that used to be in pharmacy bottles. Since almost all physicians now store their medical records electronically, including your prescription records it is quite easy to prove that you have a valid prescription.

When entering some countries even if you have a valid prescription it is still illegal to bring in certain medicines.

When people say "original container", they're not referring to the container the pharmacy houses the pills in. They're referring to the original container YOU receive from the pharmacy that contains the prescription label. And yes, it is illegal to carry the pills outside of its bottle.

It all comes down to the law and if you want to gamble getting caught. The law in most US states, not sure if there's a federal law, says all prescription medication (not over-the-counter) must be stored in its original bottle with the prescription label on it. If you get caught with prescription medication not stored in its original bottle, even if it's in one of those "M-T-W-TH-F-Sat-Sun" containers, and especially if it's a controlled substance, you can be arrested. ... -Keith

That is only true for narcotics. Ordinary Rx is no problem.

When people say "original container", they're not referring to the container the pharmacy houses the pills in. They're referring to the original container YOU receive from the pharmacy that contains the prescription label. And yes, it is illegal to carry the pills outside of its bottle.

Where do you live that it is illegal to carry all Rx pills outside of the bottle???

In most states even for narcotics it is enough to just carry the RX.

Even the TSA site says pills do not have to be in original containers.

For travel across international borders, we've asked our pharmacy to make up the smallest size Rx container, with full/proper label, of everythiing that we'd take with us (which is almost all meds, just in case).

That way, we aren't wasting space on the larger containers for something where we might just need 21 small tablets.

(A separate pet peeve is why they often give us larger containers such that less than 1/4 of the space is used for the actual meds.)

We also take copies of the written Rx, and a letter on letterhead for two of them.

These may not be "required", but we figure that IF we ever get "questioned" at a border, we'd definitely want these at that time.

Also sort of a "carry the umbrella and it won't rain" feeling, I guess ;)

In the USA, I had TSA take me aside and do a complete search of my carry on. (I asked for a private screening, and within a relatively short time, there were two TSA agents there, and present the entire time.)

I thought it was because some of the meds had been spotted during the x-ray. However, they rifled around through EVERYTHING, but didn't seem at all interested in any of the meds. I never did figure out what they thought they had seen.

Maybe it was truly random, but it seemed like overkill in that case.

DH and I joked later about whether anything I was wearing might have triggered some "profile" alert.

They were very respectful the entire time.

But our real concern is 'just in case' at international borders.

In some cases, even USA OTC meds can cause trouble.

And we don't want to exacerbate any difficulties at any borders.

Fortunately, we haven't had any problems, and hope it stays that way.

I won't argue the point with you but it is not at all illegal to carry meds outside of the bottle that they come from the pharmacy in.

If I was traveling out of country carrying medication, especially narcotic type, crossing secured borders in a vehicle, then I probably would worry about this issue. But boarding a cruise ship at a US port, no.

This is definitely the best response. I have family members who have been stopped in international airports bc they did not have pills in the original container. Remember, the U.S. has the highest usage of prescription pain killers in the world - our normal is very different from everyone else's. Not something you want to deal with when catching a flight. Boarding a cruise ship is a different story. The iamat (intl assoc of medical assistance travelers) gives good detail, and includes a recommendation to bring original packaging.

https://www.iamat.org/blog/what-you-need-to-know-about-travelling-with-medications/