Does anybody ever bring a gift for their room steward?

tdavis0990

Maybe you meant Aussies

? :)

ozzie

An Ozzie or (Aussie) is an Australian slang term to name themselves, often used in chants on Australia day "Ozzie ozzie ozzie" "oi oi oi"

where are you from?

im a bloody Ozzie mate!

Agree with this sentiment. On our last cruise we bought a bunch of snack foods (that we didn't use) and then got a basket of candies and goodies in the rollcall gift exchange. I did not burden our fine steward with this stuff. Rather, I passed it on to Guest Relations and asked if they would, if possible, pass it on to crew.

A gift basket is still a hat.

Can I be your friend?:D

I've done the same thing but so far, none have taken me up on my offer.

Once on b2b, I was roaming around the port between cruises when I saw a group of crew waiting for a taxi. I asked where they were going and they said Walmart to buy laundry detergent. None of those extra little gifts were going to help pay for that soap.

ha ha yes you can be my friend! I'll even bring you those little candies made of maple sugar that melt in your mouth :)

If you want to bring a small gift, do it like if you were doing a gift exchange. Something specific from your area. We have never done that. Cash is always appreciated. :) Tip is already paid for. If we get average service or below, that is all they get. We have had a couple like that. Mostly, though, we tip them extra. It is a personal choice.

They are just going to love a baseball cap from Las Vegas 51's minor league baseball team.

DON

Well, OP -- You asked for gifts other than cash, and most of the posts here say only cash. Perhaps they didn't understand what you wanted because a mind doesn't work unless it is open.

That said, I take a few HUNDRED small gifts every cruise to give to the crew. I don't hand them to only those who serv e me, but instead, I put them on the table and when a crew member stops to look, I ask if they want one. That usually starts a stampede, and many ask if they can take an extra for their friends or family. A ALWAYS agree and

manage to dispense most of the gifts every cruise.

I have seen crew members wearing or using the things I have given them on subsequent cruises.

That dispels the "cash only" theory that is often posted here.

Another question I have about some of the posts is how some have gained access to the crews cabins to know how big they are ??????????

OK -- Fire away ---- I am used to it !!!!!

Well, OP -- You asked for gifts other than cash, and most of the posts here say only cash. Perhaps they didn't understand what you wanted because a mind doesn't work unless it is open.

That said, I take a few HUNDRED small gifts every cruise to give to the crew. I don't hand them to only those who serv e me, but instead, I put them on the table and when a crew member stops to look, I ask if they want one. That usually starts a stampede, and many ask if they can take an extra for their friends or family. A ALWAYS agree and

manage to dispense most of the gifts every cruise.

I have seen crew members wearing or using the things I have given them on subsequent cruises.

That dispels the "cash only" theory that is often posted here.

Another question I have about some of the posts is how some have gained access to the crews cabins to know how big they are ??????????

One example without details or proof does not invalidate the fact the crew prefers cash and comments left at GS.

Photos of crew quarters are readily available on the internet.

Want more?:D

Swedish will never tell what those gifts are that cause a stampede among the crew.

That said, I take a few HUNDRED small gifts every cruise to give to the crew. I don't hand them to only those who serve me, but instead, I put them on the table and when a crew member stops to look, I ask if they want one. That usually starts a stampede, and many ask if they can take an extra for their friends or family. A ALWAYS agree and manage to dispense most of the gifts every cruise.

How much space and weight those small gifts take? Do you check in your luggage?

If you offer a choice, cash or gift, what do you think they would choose?

Who ever refused a freebie? Do the same at your work, and see how fast things "disappear". Not because they need them, just because they are freebies.

A friend's daughter with husband were musicians on a cruise. Yes, the cabins are as small as described.

One example without details or proof does not invalidate the fact the crew prefers cash and comments left at GS.

Photos of crew quarters are readily available on the internet.

You speak of crew as mindless robots who all prefer the same things. That is not correct and insults the intelligence of many of my friends who are crew members.

Some crew members have very nice full sized cabins.

Edited by swedish weave

Want more?:D

Swedish will never tell what those gifts are that cause a stampede among the crew.

You are correct, but I don't need to describe the gifts. That has been done for me many times on these threads by others. I am sure you have seen some of the descriptions .. LOL

Edited by swedish weave

How much space and weight those small gifts take? Do you check in your luggage?

If you offer a choice, cash or gift, what do you think they would choose?

Who ever refused a freebie? Do the same at your work, and see how fast things "disappear". Not because they need them, just because they are freebies.

A friend's daughter with husband were musicians on a cruise. Yes, the cabins are as small as described.

I responded to the OP's question about GIFTS. It seems you have misread the original subject of this thread.

I don't do this at work, because I don't work.

I don't normally offer gifts to entertainers.

I was obvious in all three videos there was no room for trinkets or small gifts. The absence of anything from a guest was clear.

I have had a crew member tell me she has the gifts from me in her room and even told me what year I gave them to her. Maybe she has a larger room than you see in the videos.

Several cruises ago I began leaving universal gift cards. This cruise I am bringing a couple of Amazon.com cards that can be used in any country. I do this in addition to my tip. I give the cards out to those who were helpful to my husband and I while cruising.

This is a copy & paste of a CC article WHAT TO EXPECT ON A CRUISE: CABIN STEWARD that I read earlier today...maybe this is where some people get the idea of small cabins & no gifts.??

**"Some people like to bring their room steward a gift to show their appreciation. While this is a nice gesture, keep in mind that crew cabins are small and there's not a lot of room for trinkets. Your room attendant would more likely appreciate cash or perhaps a prepaid phone card to call home."**