What's the Class System Like on Oceania?

BBQ Lover

Just one more comment before leaving this thread once again. Unfortunately, posters can post whatever they want - lies - innuendos or whatever and there is no way to prove what they are saying is not correct. Wish I could take a lie detector test online but it isn't possible. Just be careful of what and whom you believe on these boards. One poster on this board has stated for 8 years that Regent will merge with Oceania (don't hold your breath). Again, a statement with no substance.

Oceania is a great cruise line - we just prefer Regent. Others prefer Oceania and there is nothing wrong with that. My hope for this board is that personal bashing will cease and the Oceania board will once again be one where honest people can express their opinions without fear of the kind of personal comments that are evident on this thread (most are completely baseless or, in one case it seems that the poster has a poor memory - accusing me of something that I never said because it is 100% untrue).

Enjoy your cruises on Oceania!

My opinion is they have merged for the most part. Same holding company, same tours, same F and B and staff crossover. Same sales program. Same flight departments, same CEO. Only variation in suites, and all inclusive now. Entitled to my own opinion and I have many days on both lines to make that opinion.

Well, after watching all this back and forth on the board, I feel that O is generally not interested in distinctions beyond suites and have enjoyed my stays in vista, concierge and about to be ocean view. Will see if my being on the 4th deck for my next cruise (July) sees any difference in service, I doubt it.:D

I generally agree with hypercafe, with one exception. Let me first say, which may shade my opinion, is that I do not find the ship as the destination but the means to get to the various destinations.

I do not believe that establishing a rational organized boarding system to be an inherent display of a class system. I show up in Copenhagen, Sidney, or Bangkok to embark the ship, those are all parts of the destination. If I'm given an 11:00 a.m. boarding time with a 6:00 p.m. sailing, I'm probably not showing up until 2:30-3:00 because I'm sight seeing in those ports. Even if I'm not sightseeing, for whatever reason, if someone else has an earlier boarding time than me I don't get all upset over it. If my documents say board at 11:00 or board at 1:00, then I show up at my boarding time, and never ever worry about when someone else was allowed to board! 680 or 1100passengers can't all board their perspective ships all at the same time. that spells chaos! :eek: My next O cruise is a 20 dayer. Do you think I care if I or someone else gets on board 2 hours earlier than me??? :rolleyes:

Why is this an issue for some? Or, this the ship really the destination for some, not the ports visited, and it's like getting into Disney Land when they first open?

I generally agree with hypercafe, with one exception. Let me first say, which may shade my opinion, is that I do not find the ship as the destination but the means to get to the various destinations.

I do not believe that establishing a rational organized boarding system to be an inherent display of a class system. I show up in Copenhagen, Sidney, or Bangkok to embark the ship, those are all parts of the destination. If I'm given an 11:00 a.m. boarding time with a 6:00 p.m. sailing, I'm probably not showing up until 2:30-3:00 because I'm sight seeing in those ports. Even if I'm not sightseeing, for whatever reason, if someone else has an earlier boarding time than me I don't get all upset over it. If my documents say board at 11:00 or board at 1:00, then I show up at my boarding time, and never ever worry about when someone else was allowed to board! 680 or 1100passengers can't all board their perspective ships all at the same time. that spells chaos! :eek: My next O cruise is a 20 dayer. Do you think I care if I or someone else gets on board 2 hours earlier than me??? :rolleyes:

Why is this an issue for some? Or, this the ship really the destination for some, not the ports visited, and it's like getting into Disney Land when they first open?

Here here.................. so much petty concern

IDo you think I care if I or someone else gets on board 2 hours earlier than me? Why is this an issue for some?

Doesn't matter to me, either, but I can see how it might be a complaint if you arrived straight to embarkation from the airport, tired from flying overnight, and were told to wait while others boarded.

I can understand a methodology for sorting boarding times and agree that makes sense, and that it makes sense to give preferential times to higher fare classes. However, if I'm told I can board at 11 and choose not to come until 2 because I want to explore, I'm not going to have any trouble boarding right away at 2. So, likewise, I think there should be consideration for those told to board at 2 who arrive early and tired. Maybe separate check-in lines, like at airports? Yes, you're not supposed to board now, but here's a clerk or two to process those out of sync. (And I'm not saying anything about their cabins. I'm just talking about getting on the ship, to sit in comfort and a breeze and be able to grab some grub.)

Azevedan;

Let me first say, we're supposingly talking about adults here, most often well travelled adults. From my personal experience, most of the complaints come from those that do indeed arrive early. Early as sometimes by 7:00 a.m. before those on the ship start disembarking. Then they sit there and frump for hours until boarding begins. As adults, they know their arrival time and their assigned boarding time. If there exists a significant difference, they should make plans for the morning.

Oceania will normally allow those early arriving passengers to drop/check-in their bags starting around 9-9:30. So at that time, they can explore the city, eat a nice casual lunch, GET A DAY ROOM, or whatever they please until their assigned boarding time. for one

asevedan;

First, let's make clear we are speaking of adults here, not children. These adults know what their airport arrival times are and they know their scheduled boarding times well in advance. If they have a large gap between the two, there are many options for them to consider. Explore the city, Get a Day room, walk around and have a nice lunch of local cuisine, etc. Additionally, Oceania, in most circumstances, allows the embarking cruisers to check their bags in starting around 9-9:30. So if they arrive before then, and don't take the day room option, they can get rid of the excess baggage and explore.

(Let me add, that as a club member in various hotel programs: Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, I can check my bags at any of those hotels by just tipping the concierge. I'm not even sure if one has to be a member to do so. So I can go straight to a central hotel and unload and not wait until 9:30)

Where I have seen the most complaints is from people that sometimes arrive even before we begin disembarking (8:00 a.m.), and Sit, and FRUMP until they are allowed to board. Then they bitch because they are not allowed to board immediately and cry classism! I have no pity for the Frumpers, they have options and chose not to explore them.

Let me add another issue the Frumpers like to ignore. In some of the ports, immigration/customs is more stringent than in others. I have seen those ports assign immigration officers based on the projected number of boarders. So after check-in, one lines up for immigration control/customs which can't be seen from the main assembly hall. If regular cabin (masses) boarding doesn't begin until 1:00, then that port will only assign enough agents to handle the smaller suite numbers. I was shocked in Sidney, where Oceania embarks their passengers, to learn that once you check in and clear immigrations, you are not allowed to leave the ship because they don't assign enough immigrations people to handle multiple boardings. I was told that even those with OS/VS, and then PHs, were delayed an hour because immigration didn't show up. Then O was only allowed to check-in so many at a time. The Frumpy got even Frumpier that day! However, those with a 1:00 p.m. boarding time all pretty well got to start through the line at their scheduled time.

I might also add that we have flown to Europe many times and arrived at a very early time, 7 or 8am and we could not check into our hotel until 2pm, 1pm if we were lucky.

Our choice was to sit in the lobby or leave our luggage with the hotel and go do something.

So how is Oceania's check in times policy different?

Edited by RetiredFL

Ed;

Great point!

Let me also add that if one chooses the Oceania transfer and arrives during those very early morning hours, Oceania typically delivers one to the hotel where they have the pre and post hotel stays. One can then use the main hotel laboratory to wash their face, brush their teeth, and change clothes if they so desire; then return their luggage to O that will put it on one's assigned bus for the transfer to the ship at the scheduled time.

One can then either stroll around town, or the hotel, or often join in on an Oceania walking or bus tour being ran out of the hotel until near boarding time. This option may cost a couple hundred dollars ($100 apiece), versus a $25 cab ride to the dock, but is far better than sitting in a tent, or other temporary shelter, at the dock frumping the hours away imo.

I think some just prefer frumping! :eek:

Whoa, horsies....whoa!

I was simply positing a reason people would like to board early in response to why waiting for their boarding time would be an issue for some.

I will politely point out that there's an awful lot of generalization about people's motivations in your replies. (Honestly, why do people always impute the worst possible intentions when they don't know what's going on?) Also, getting a dayroom (and dealing with multiple transport logistics to hotel then to port, especially since a lot of ports are not close to the city of alleged departure (Rome, Athens, etc.)) isn't as breezily simple as you imply, nor is the cost something to discount (yes, I know what an Oceania cruise costs. Some people *may* need to economize as much as possible to take one). Additionally, I'm confused about the comment about the passengers being adults. Certainly...and a lot of them (judging by the clientele) are rather superannuated.

Really, honestly, it's nuts to waste part of a vacation sitting in a terminal, but sometimes that's the best option. Also, *as I said*, I do support staggered boarding times. But, like everything in life, sometimes circumstances call for a little consideration and commiseration rather than blanket condemnation and refusal.

:)

Edited by azevedan

Do any other cruse lines have assigned boarding times?

I have sailed on many cruises and the only time I saw different boarding times for different classes ("class" defined one's accommodations/deck/dining room/amenities, etc.) was on the Liberte, a French ship built for crossing the Atlantic.

Dinosaurs were in the hold.

Edited by Winner

Do any other cruse lines have assigned boarding times?

I have sailed on many cruises and the only time I saw different boarding times for different classes ("class" defined one's accommodations/deck/dining room/amenities, etc.) was on the Liberte, a French ship built for crossing the Atlantic.

Dinosaurs were in the hold.

Viking Ocean Cruises has staggered boarding times, based on stateroom/suite category. That's not surprising, given that they copied from Oceania a lot.

There is, of course, another methodology utilized by other cruise lines. That is that Boarding does not begin until ALL cabins are prepared, and ALL venues are ready for the new group of cruisers. Then Boarding is opened to everyone. This methodology would probably please those that are aghast at the current class distinction in boarding on Oceania.

Of course, Boarding on those cruises don't typically start until around 3:00 p.m., and on my daughter and husband's recent cruise on a larger ship, it was 5:00 p.m. before Boarding started.

So no eating a leisurely lunch aboard or exploring around as you wait for your cabin to be ready. Everyone's cabin is ready when they board. If one arrives before Boarding time, they wait in the general boarding area until all can Board. If they get to the port at 7:00 a.m., bring a picnic lunch!

This method is probably music to the ears of those upset about Oceania's class distinction in boarding and take care of everyone. I just wonder if it is really the most preferred method for most of O's cruisers? :confused:

Viking Ocean Cruises has staggered boarding times, based on stateroom/suite category. That's not surprising, given that they copied from Oceania a lot.

Sorry, just realized I misspoke here. The staggered times are only for access to staterooms. Everyone can board at same time.

It has been awhile, but I'm pretty sure last time we sailed Princess (2010) we had a boarding time based up on our cabin (and similar for our first cruise which was on Holland America in 01).

Granted with our cruise on Princess we were sailing from Southampton, and spent the morning at the Titanic museum and then wandering around town, so we did not have lines to wait in once we did decide to board. Probably not the right museum for my 9 year old embarking on his first cruise. Had to endure a few nights of nightmares...

We have done 10 Oceania cruises and we have not seen a Class system. Everyone can ask and receive what they want. We have always booked Veranda staterooms and if on Marina or Riviera, we book Concierge level, is a good value and the extra assistance form your Concierge can be very beneficial, that is a whole other story though. B is good because if there are upgrade offers made, you can make the change to A for a nominal fee. and that can happen much of the time. If in A, and they make an upgrade offer to PH for a discounted fee, that can be GREAT. A or PH means you get more reservations in the Premium restaurants and on Oceania, they are FREE.

Next trip for us and some friends is Riviera Nov. 21, Transatlantic from Barcelona and yesterday we received another $500 discount and the price dropped because bookings are "soft". Love it! We opted for a PH on Riviera for the added space, 420 vs 282 sq. ft. since it is a 14 day cruise.

If this your first Oceania, you will love it and be SPOILED! The service and food are fantastic.

Gerry

This entire topic reminds how often people book something and find out about the rules later and complain about them. Same holds true when folks buy homes with an HOA

Every cruise line has protocols. Guests need to find out what these are BEFORE they book. If you don't like the Oceania protocols book a line where you like the way they do things

If you like what Oceania has to offer otherwise then don't complain about no hot breakfast or boarding times or other protocols. It is THEIR business model. We vote with our wallets.

This entire topic reminds how often people book something and find out about the rules later and complain about them. Same holds true when folks buy homes with an HOA

Every cruise line has protocols. Guests need to find out what these are BEFORE they book. If you don't like the Oceania protocols book a line where you like the way they do things

If you like what Oceania has to offer otherwise then don't complain about no hot breakfast or boarding times or other protocols. It is THEIR business model. We vote with our wallets.

+1

Agree

We tend to choose more modest accommodation - ocean view or balcony - certainly no butlers! There may be advantages, like more specialty reservations or earlier reservation period, but it is fairly invisible once you are on the ship. We often ask for a share table in the grand dining room and we meet those with posher accommodation. Never an issue. We talk travel!

Most of our fellow cruisers are the most modest, interesting and unassuming people we have ever met. They are fun to be with and spend time together. Occasionally there are those who are impressed with their own accomplishments or wealth and have to show it, but they are few.. We meet someone and just enjoy our time together and exchange stories.

One of my favorite stories is on Gibraltar. We were walking towards the funicular and we're intercepted by a taxi driver. He asked if it was OK to pick up a few more riders. This was at 9:00 am on a Sunday. He found a second couple and off we went on our tour. This woman immediately started texting. I asked what she was doing so early USA time. She explained that she might have to use her ATM card and needed to advise her bank. I asked how her bank would even know what to do. She explained- it's my bank, I'm the president.

On another note, RIP. Our 79 year old SF friend.

We have enjoyed all 4 of our 'O' cruises. There are people of all types on board. Some unfortunately feel 'entitled' and will push and shove to cut a line. We only saw this once. I guess this behavior is to be expected everywhere and not just on O.

We have enjoyed all 4 of our 'O' cruises. There are people of all types on board. Some unfortunately feel 'entitled' and will push and shove to cut a line. We only saw this once. I guess this behavior is to be expected everywhere and not just on O.

Definitely not "just" on O (!) but yes, it does seem to happen more and more often. When we did a Bergen Lines cruise from Bergen to North Cape and back way back in 1975 there was an Italian group that came on the ship for a few days and they were of the push and shove ilk. We were in line for a buffet lunch in the first class dining room (most of the ship was second class but first class was on the minimal side -- comfortable but far from luxurious) when one of the leaders of their group tried to push ahead and I blocked her.

She was mad ... I wasn't blocking her for myself, it was for the little old lady she was trying to push out of the way (now*I* am that little old lady, although not so little).

Mura

I've been watching the television series "Grace and Frankie." Jane Fonda's character, Grace, often wears jeans, and, whenever I see one of her jeans outfits, I think "Oceania would approve."

I agree, and I wanted to post a picture of her dressed up in jeans to show how nice it could look, but didn't find one on line. There are a couple of buts to this:

A. Not many 78 year women are going to be able to wear it like her &

B. Many Oceania guests would not approve of her due to her politics from 50 years ago.