What's the Class System Like on Oceania?

BBQ Lover

What's truly puzzling is your suggestion that people in the US "...simply accept whatever is (or is not) offered to them." That's ridiculous and you know it.

That is how it seems to me (truthfully). Who would want to sail on a ship where you could not order a hot breakfast (and more importantly, think that this is acceptable when others can order whatever they wish)?

BBQ Lover - for those that think that this thread is dead can choose to not read it -- very simple (and is often suggested on Cruise Critic in situations like this).

If you could afford the smallest suite on Crystal, Regent, Seabourn or Silversea, you would get what it seems that you are looking for -- everyone being treated the same once you walk outside of your "suite" (no "staterooms: on luxury cruise lines). Unless you have tried it, you would not know how great it can be. No signing for anything....... no extra charges.......tips included........internet included (on most luxury cruise lines), excursions (on some luxury cruise lines) and on one cruise line (Oceania's sister company - Regent), Business Class air included (starting next year I believe). So, once you take the cost of the cruise and deduct all of the inclusions, it is less expensive than it seems.

Hope that you find the perfect cruise line for you!

P.S. Lest I sound like I am bashing Oceania, I must say that the Riviera (and Marina) are the most beautiful ships we have ever seen and the food in the specialty restaurants rival the food on luxury cruise lines (but you are limited as to how many times you can dine in the specialty restaurants -- based on your "class" (oops - kinda meant to say stateroom category)..

Edited by Travelcat2

The key word here is INCLUDED - that is not the same as FREE.

What that means is that you have paid for it upfront on luxury lines - did not get it free.

Isn't that what we are saying about the "perks" on Oceania - they are "included" for those who paid for them.

Yes, I did find my perfect cruise line - just like I believe you did :)

(but you are limited as to how many times you can dine in the specialty restaurants -- based on your "class" (oops - kinda meant to say stateroom category

That statement is absolutely 100% incorrect. There is no limit to the number of times that any passenger, in ANY type of cabin, may dine in the Specialty Restaurants.

What changes, based on cabin category, is the number of times which they are guaranteed to be able to dine in them.

Ridiculous statement about dining limits. I have friends who only sail insides. They get tons of extra specialty reservations every cruise. The only limitation is a lack of flexibility for date table size or time

Those same limitations for extra reservations also apply to those in suites.

Where's the class system?

Edited by bitob

That statement is absolutely 100% incorrect. There is no limit to the number of times that any passenger, in ANY type of cabin, may dine in the Specialty Restaurants.

What changes, based on cabin category, is the number of times which they are guaranteed to be able to dine in them.

Correct. Most people, if they try can get extra reservations. Even the top suites are nor guaranteed reservations every night.

I have to admit I am disappointed to hear that 'hot' breakfast is not served to rooms under the Concierge class. I have never heard of that on a cruise line before. On port days we normally enjoy a nice hot breakfast delivered to our room as we want a good meal before the day starts and it saves us time when getting ready.

I searched the Oceania website for something that mentioned this difference in service and could not find anything. I am glad I am on these boards as I would have been really disappointed the 1st day into the cruise and being refused hot room service breakfast.

You can't order a hot breakfast if you have a lower level cabin but you can order anything off the room service menu 24 hours/day. I never tried it but it seems to me that you can order a steak dinner at 7am and they have to provide it.

We get an inside cabin so we don't have much of an incentive to order meals in the cabin. It really did come in handy in Iceland on an overnight stop when we rented a car to tour the island and got back after the dining room was closed. Had a great dinner in our cabin that night.

Mary

That is how it seems to me (truthfully). Who would want to sail on a ship where you could not order a hot breakfast (and more importantly, think that this is acceptable when others can order whatever they wish)?

P.S. Lest I sound like I am bashing Oceania, I must say that the Riviera (and Marina) are the most beautiful ships we have ever seen and the food in the specialty restaurants rival the food on luxury cruise lines (but you are limited as to how many times you can dine in the specialty restaurants -- based on your "class" (oops - kinda meant to say stateroom category)..

You can order breakfast in all staterooms. They have an express breakfast menu for the standard cabin. If you read the documents as to what you are booking you would know ahead. You can also go to either the Terrace Cafe or MDR for a hot cooked to order breakfast if you like. Even in PH on the ships breakfast service is somewhat limited. The butler will do their best to accommodate your request in the concierge cabins or above.

Just like traveling on a plane - if you want to have all the amenities of first class in your seat/cabin - there is a cost. I see nothing wrong with that. If you want bare bones - go with NCL. Oceania even in the standard cabins is very luxurious.

As for the specialties on the Riviera or Marina, there is no limit or cost to eat in those restaurants. You are guaranteed a certain number based on your cabin paid for. But, you can go as often as there is space available. We ate in Jacques 6 times on one cruise while only entitled to dine there twice. On one cruise we took a friend dined nightly in Toscana and never ate in the MDR. She had a standard non concierge cabin. Not a problem at all.

One thing I'm picking up on this forum is that there seems to be a real negative feeling about dining in the MDR as opposed to the speciality restaurants. Why is that?

I could never dine in a speciality restaurant each night...just too much food for me and surely the menu's get a bit repetitive? Not so much on Marina and Riviera perhaps, with four speciality restaurants, but probably on the R class ships with only two? Is the food or service bad in the MDR? I have only done one previous Oceania cruise, so I don't have that experience. I liked the MDR on Marina very much.

Very annoying to find out that I can't have room service Eggs Benedict for breakfast either. Seems a stupid rule to me that only Concierge and above can have hot breakfast items. Does not happen on any other cruise line that I'm aware of.

Lottie, I don't understand the apparent negative attitude to the MDR either, I have done 11 cruises on Oceania and really like the MDR, the food is very good and I don't think the food in the speciality restaurants are any better, just different. The MDR on the smaller ships are lovely, like on Azamara, only I think the MDR food is a bit better on Oceania. The MDRs on Marina and Riviera are just beautiful and really spacious.

Lottie A - agree with you that it makes no sense that some passengers cannot get hot eggs in the morning. When a passenger calls room service, it must be upsetting to be told that they cannot have a hot breakfast (and I doubt if the crew member that has to deliver the information is happy to tell the passenger "no" when they request it). While I did quite a bit of research on Oceania prior to sailing on the Riviera, it would not occur to me that this type of policy would even exist.

It seems that, once again, there is a post comparing airlines to cruise lines. IMO, that would be a valid comparison IF you were flying 24/7 for a week or so.

In terms of restaurants, we do not care for the MDR or Terrace Café but love the specialties. This is another "sort of class situation" here but is invisible to others (unless you have the need to tell someone that you can dine in a specialty restaurant just about every night). Upper suite guests can have food from a specialty restaurant every night - either in your suite or in the restaurant. Again, a more or less "invisible" benefit.

While some people are lucky enough to sail in a lower category suite and get multiple dining reservations, this is not usually the case (based on reading the Oceania boards). On some itineraries on the smaller ships you are fortunate to get one reservation.

P.S. Have to admit that the "hot breakfast" is not visible like special boarding, the lounges and other "visible" benefits, but IMO it is a policy that helps no one and should be done away with. Just my opinion.

Edited by Travelcat2

If giving everybody everything were the answer, then the all inclusive Lines would be running away with all of the business.....that is hardly the case.

Certain people, Travelcat among them based on what she has written in the past, prefer to have the option of sailing without all of the bells land whistles

in order to save some money on the fare.

Nobody is being excluded from anything, they are choosing a cabin which is less expensive partly because it does not include that amenity, just as some people choose to sail Oceania over Regent because they don't want to pay for other amenities.

Isn't it a better set up, when the choice is there?

If you go to the grocery store and pay for hamburger meat why would you expect to get a steak?

People who want more than what is offered at their level of passage have the option of paying for it. People travel on NCL get what they pay for. People who want the all inclusive of Regent pay for it. Same on Oceania. We live in a society that you have to pay to play.

If you want to take a flightseeing excursion rather than a bus tour overview in Alaska - it costs more.

You can eat at McDonalds for a Hamburger or you can have a Steak at Ruths Chris.

Why should people who buy at the base level get all the amenities and have them subsidized by those who pay for the OS?

You can order breakfast in all staterooms. They have an express breakfast menu for the standard cabin. If you read the documents as to what you are booking you would know ahead. You can also go to either the Terrace Cafe or MDR for a hot cooked to order breakfast if you like. Even in PH on the ships breakfast service is somewhat limited. The butler will do their best to accommodate your request in the concierge cabins or above.

Just like traveling on a plane - if you want to have all the amenities of first class in your seat/cabin - there is a cost. I see nothing wrong with that. If you want bare bones - go with NCL. Oceania even in the standard cabins is very luxurious.

As for the specialties on the Riviera or Marina, there is no limit or cost to eat in those restaurants. You are guaranteed a certain number based on your cabin paid for. But, you can go as often as there is space available. We ate in Jacques 6 times on one cruise while only entitled to dine there twice. On one cruise we took a friend dined nightly in Toscana and never ate in the MDR. She had a standard non concierge cabin. Not a problem at all.

Agreed.

It is our experience that, with flexibility on time and sharing, it is extremely easy to get plenty of extra specialty restaurant reservations once you are onboard either R or O ships. Of course, if you are in certain category cabins, you won't have a butler to do it for you.

As for the hot breakfast issue, folks who have perused the website (or talked with their TA) beforehand, know that (like cabin differences on an airline) higher priced categories net more amenities.

Simply put: You get what you pay for.

O would only approach having a "class" system if a passenger were (for whatever reason) denied the opportunity to purchase an available cabin category that includes the advertised/desired significant daily amenities.

I am fine with a service not being available between certain suites if it is clearly stated with what you get or don't get up front.. then I can make the decision if it's important enough to me to choose a different cabin category.

I searched and searched the Oceania website and nowhere do I see that there is a limited room service breakfast availability for cabins under Concierge. To me that is misleading and things like this make me wonder what else is not clearly outlined in their offerings and is only communicated to you once you get your final papers or board the ship.

That being said, I will take my chances and will still go with the B3 category as the extended balcony is more important then the hot room service breakfast. Hopefully, that is the only thing that I am aware of that will not be available to us during the cruise.

Some people love the mdr. Others prefer the terrace buffet. It's a personal choice.

We love both, and agree with Lottie A. that we could never dine in a specialty restaurant every night -- too much food!

If giving everybody everything were the answer, then the all inclusive Lines would be running away with all of the business.....that is hardly the case.

Certain people, Travelcat among them based on what she has written in the past, prefer to have the option of sailing without all of the bells land whistles

in order to save some money on the fare.

Nobody is being excluded from anything, they are choosing a cabin which is less expensive partly because it does not include that amenity, just as some people choose to sail Oceania over Regent because they don't want to pay for other amenities.

Isn't it a better set up, when the choice is there?

Good food for thought. I do "get" that Oceania is not an all-inclusive luxury cruise line. You pay extra for alcohol, tips, excursions internet (unless you buy a package, have a promotion or some other "deal") and that is fine. This differentiates Oceania from her sister cruise lines.

My main issues are with the lounges, pre-boarding (pet peeve), no hot breakfasts for lower levels and getting on the tender first (this isn't even listed as a perk but I hear it exists). Those passengers that pay for larger suites get a lot of wonderful benefits - and, IMO, they pay more and deserve it. However, the other "class-oriented" items seem so mainstream to me. Oceania is suppose to be closer to luxury than mainstream (or even premium) cruise lines.

No one should have to pay more just to be able to board the ship when boarding begins, have a hot breakfast in your room, or sit in a lounge (or some designated area) to have coffee, tea, read the paper and relax. People pay less for smaller staterooms, less in-cabin amenities, fewer dining reservations, etc. The issues that bother me should not even enter into the picture (obviously this is okay with many so I won't continue to harp on it unless asked questions).

P.S. Chatkat - I am totally clueless as to why you are bringing up airplanes, McDonald's, steaks, etc. Perhaps you want only certain menu items in the restaurants to be offered to "lower category" passengers. Hope that is not what is behind your posts as I see no comparison to airlines, hamburgers, steaks, flightseeing and Oceania's "class system". Not trying to bash you - just don't think that it is relevant to this thread.

Edited by Travelcat2

That being said, I will take my chances and will still go with the B3 category as the extended balcony is more important then the hot room service breakfast. Hopefully, that is the only thing that I am aware of that will not be available to us during the cruise.

You will also not have access to the Concierge or Executive lounges and the Spa Terrace. Frankly I don't feel like you're missing much. When we have access to them we rarely use them, but that's just us.

P.S. Chatkat - I am totally clueless as to why you are bringing up airplanes, McDonald's, steaks, etc. Perhaps you want only certain menu items in the restaurants to be offered to "lower category" passengers. Hope that is not what is behind your posts as I see no comparison to airlines, hamburgers, steaks, flightseeing and Oceania's "class system". Not trying to bash you - just don't think that it is relevant to this thread.

I believe that's what people call an analogy.

You will also not have access to the Concierge or Executive lounges and the Spa Terrace. Frankly I don't feel like you're missing much. When we have access to them we rarely use them, but that's just us.

I'm not sure that people feel better because you (or I) don't like the Executive lounge or the Spa Terrace. Maybe others would like it but do not have access to it.

I believe that's what people call an analogy.

I understand that the poster is attempting to make an anology but, IMO, comparing apples to oranges never works well as an analogy.

Responses in red above.

Responses in red above.

Travelcat2, I believe you have only sailed on Oceania a few times because we all know Regent is your cruise line of choice. If I recall correctly, the last time you sailed on O was in a large suite. We know you do not care for the Terrace Cafe (yet, it is one of my favorite places to eat al fresco). I have only had lunch in the MDR on the smaller Regatta. We found it quite lovely and peaceful on our sea days.

I also remember you raving about Jacques and how many times you had eaten there on your last cruise on O, including all of the food photos presented. You also love to dine with the Officers and GM, if I recall correctly. Now, of course you did pay more for your Suite Life, and I am wondering have you Ever stayed in a regular cabin on O?

Just an observance.

Travelcat2, I believe you have only sailed on Oceania a few times because we all know Regent is your cruise line of choice. If I recall correctly, the last time you sailed on O was in a large suite. We know you do not care for the Terrace Cafe (yet, it is one of my favorite places to eat al fresco). I have only had lunch in the MDR on the smaller Regatta. We found it quite lovely and peaceful on our sea days.

I also remember you raving about Jacques and how many times you had eaten there on your last cruise on O, including all of the food photos presented. You also love to dine with the Officers and GM, if I recall correctly. Now, of course you did pay more for your Suite Life, and I am wondering have you Ever stayed in a regular cabin on O?

Just an observance.

No, would not stay in a lower cabin because of the class system described on this thread (also, the size of the cabins on the smaller ships are too small - the same for the small suites on our favorite Oceania ship, the Riviera.) I have, however, stayed in lower level suites on Regent which means that we did not have a butler or other in suite amenities..

Yes - we do love Jacques and the other specialty restaurants but had a couple of serious incidents in the Terrace Café (regarding food) that put me off of that dining venue permanently. We did have breakfast in the MDR - once it was fine - the other times we were delivered cold Swedish pancakes. Our one lunch in the MDR was a salad and even that wasn't very good. I do realize that food is subjective.

When we boarded the Riviera, we were able to board early and were shocked to see special lines (aka queues) with special designations for the different categories of suites. This method of boarding bothered me on many levels.

We went to the Executive Lounge and saw people looking in through the glass door (poor choice of doors in my opinion). Some posters on the Oceania board state that no ones notices the Concierge or Executive Lounge. This was not the case on our two cruises. I personally did not like the lounges - my DH saw someone brushing their teeth in there and I saw people in bathrobes in the morning. While I don't like to compare Oceania to Regent - especially on the Oceania board...... there is a space on Regent ships called the Coffee Connection that is available to all passengers. Their array of foods is much better than the lounges on Oceania and the barista is there to make great coffee, tea or hot chocolate. One morning I saw Frank Del Rio with some coffee so he apparently appreciates the area as well.

We did enjoy the Vista Suite with all the amenities that go with it. In fact, there were so many benefits (that we obviously paid for) that it made it even more disturbing that some passengers on board could not even get a hot breakfast delivered to their room.

In terms of dining with officers - yes - we do that on all the ships we sail. We are simply interested in their lives at sea, their backgrounds and families. Oceania has one GM in particular that we love -- Thierry Tholon. There are also a couple of GM's that have moved over to Regent -- we enjoy them as well.

This is getting too lengthy. We would sail Oceania again if the itinerary were right. At the moment, we are within reaching distance of becoming "titanium" Seven Seas Society members on Regent (a long reach but attainable - maybe in 2018) so we are booking Regent rather than Oceania or Silversea for now.

Hope that answers your questions.

Travelcat2, Thank you for your response. We are all different and have cruised on O in both balcony and also Vista Suite. We will have an OS for our next Insignia cruise and because it is 30 days and many sea days, we prefer the space.

When in a larger suite, we have never taken advantage of having the Officers or Captain escort us to our suite upon embarkation, choose not to dine with them, could not even tell you where the Executive or Concierge lounges are? and although we are entitled to many Speciality restaurant reservations, if the weather is nice, we will dine al fresco at the Terrace Cafe with a healthy salad, grilled lobster, lamb chops etc. Oops! Cannot forget the wine!

We personally choose to stay incognito and do not care what cabin others are in and do not host parties etc. in our suite. Most O cruisers are the same way from what I have observed. And then there are those that make it a point to be noticed and feel important. Not us :)

Travelcat2, Thank you for your response. We are all different and have cruised on O in both balcony and also Vista Suite. We will have an OS for our next Insignia cruise and because it is 30 days and many sea days, we prefer the space.

When in a larger suite, we have never taken advantage of having the Officers or Captain escort us to our suite upon embarkation, choose not to dine with them, could not even tell you where the Executive or Concierge lounges are? and although we are entitled to many Speciality restaurant reservations, if the weather is nice, we will dine al fresco at the Terrace Cafe with a healthy salad, grilled lobster, lamb chops etc. Oops! Cannot forget the wine!

We personally choose to stay incognito and do not care what cabin others are in and do not host parties etc. in our suite. Most O cruisers are the same way from what I have observed. And then there are those that make it a point to be noticed and feel important. Not us :)

I cannot imagine an Officer or Captain escorting anyone to their suite. Have you witnessed this on Oceania?

We keep very much to ourselves but have made friends on Regent over the years so we have hosted a few parties (3 couples - not a huge group). On the Riviera we had one friend in for dinner which was nice.

FYI - our privacy is so important to us that we no longer attend Meet and Greets on board (due to the my posts on Cruise Critic, some people think that they "know" me..... we don't cruise to make friends or meet other passengers, but circumstances have brought some lovely people into our lives.".

I cannot imagine an Officer or Captain escorting anyone to their suite. Have you witnessed this on Oceania?

We keep very much to ourselves but have made friends on Regent over the years so we have hosted a few parties (3 couples - not a huge group). On the Riviera we had one friend in for dinner which was nice.

FYI - our privacy is so important to us that we no longer attend Meet and Greets on board (due to the my posts on Cruise Critic, some people think that they "know" me..... we don't cruise to make friends or meet other passengers, but circumstances have brought some lovely people into our lives.".

Yes, I have witnessed an OS suite guest being escorted upon embarkation. Maybe they are good friends with the Captain?