What's the Class System Like on Oceania?

BBQ Lover

o

LHT28 - I feel that you are responding to my post. I was just posting my thoughts. There is no need to get "snarky".

You were on the Regatta. We were on Riviera, not sure if I mentioned that, but only the Riviera and Marina have the GDR tables that I described.

Next time I will not accept a table if I do not like it. Do we go back to the desk, will we be left standing there? Often people are asked to wait at the side if they are wanting a table for 2. When one becomes available, you are taken to the one table available. If I did not accept the table, I would cause a commotion. Would not want to do that. Have people not accepted a table when it was busy? What happened?

As for reserved tables for suite cruisers, you enter on the Port side and you are met. We were guests for dinner, and that is the way we did it this particular time.

o

o

LHT28 - I feel that you are responding to my post. I was just posting my thoughts. There is no need to get "snarky".

o

Then you would be wrong

snarky ???

PS There is a couple that has exceeded 60 O cruises and O had to create a new loyalty level because of (or for) them. Same things can be said about them as I have said about the other couple and I am sure they too are treated very well and receive some extra (invisible) perks - as they should and well deserve after 60+ O cruises. Doing otherwise would be foolish and reprehensible for O.

I think the one couple is probably close to 90 cruises if not more by now ;)

Then you would be wrong

snarky ???

A word the use of should be banned on Cruise Critic. I find the use of it offensive. I feel the same way about the improper use of "hack" when referring to tricks or hints.

We've just returned from our 8th Oceania cruise. I recall that on the first several cruises, no cabin numbers were requested in the GDR and every staff person referred to me as Madame and my husband as Sir.

The last two cruises (and maybe more?) we were asked for the cabin # at the GDR. We are then referred to by every single staff person in the restaurant, host - bus boy - waiter, etc. - as Mr W____ and Mrs W_______. This touch makes me feel as though they are making more of an effort to provide personal service.

When running into those same staffers in other locations, many of them greeted us by name.

I recall that there has been criticism on this board of the lack of personal attention - perhaps they are attempting to change this.

Edited by newbie60

We've just returned from our 8th Oceania cruise. I recall that on the first several cruises, no cabin numbers were requested in the GDR and every staff person referred to me as Madame and my husband as Sir.

The last two cruises (and maybe more?) we were asked for the cabin # at the GDR. We are then referred to by every single staff person in the restaurant, host - bus boy - waiter, etc. - as Mr W____ and Mrs W_______. This touch makes me feel as though they are making more of an effort to provide personal service.

When running into those same staffers in other locations, many of them greeted us by name.

I recall that there has been criticism on this board of the lack of personal attention - perhaps they are attempting to change this.

These are exactly my thoughts on why they ask.

Personally we don't really care where we sit as most places can be subject to good and neighbours. We are mainly PH and have had the full spectrum of table positions. Occasionally we have suggested a different table and are often accommodated.

This has been our experience also on our last couple of cruises.

I prefer to use the words "higher category" instead of "higher class" when discussing the types of cabins on Oceania's ships. Of course, higher category cabins (namely, concierge level and suites) come with the perks as previous posters have mentioned. Rightly so, since they also come with higher price tags. On our recent cruise on Marina, we met so many well-traveled, interesting people. We shared tables at dinner as often as we could, which we really enjoyed and would be our preference in the future. Not one person mentioned the type of room they had or any special perks they were getting. I would say that Oceania's clientele is "high class" no matter what category cabin they are sleeping in.

Edited by phillygirl63

It is also true that many passengers who can well afford a "higher category" choose a lower category, simply because they don't spend much time in the cabin.

Look at all the comments from people who don't care about the benefits "concierge" gives them at all. And not everyone wants a butler! (I admit that when butlers were first introduced we thought we'd never use them ... and we didn't at first. But in the end we came around to seeing their benefits! Can we survive without them? Absolutely.)

It's all what YOU want. I prefer a higher cabin category simply because I like more room (as in space) and we DO spend time in the room. We also like some (but not all) of the perks that those accommodations give us. But I can't remember sitting at a dinner table with other passengers and being asked what level room we are in! Although I DO remember on Renaissance that people would ask "how much did you pay", but that was often because no two passengers seemed to pay the same ...

Another thought: We've met many passengers who will stay in a 5 star hotel pre- or post-cruise but sail in a lower category ... we tend to opt for a higher category but stay in a 3 star hotel on land ...

As many have said, there is no right or wrong here.

Mura

It is also true that many passengers who can well afford a "higher category" choose a lower category, simply because they don't spend much time in the cabin.

Look at all the comments from people who don't care about the benefits "concierge" gives them at all. And not everyone wants a butler! (I admit that when butlers were first introduced we thought we'd never use them ... and we didn't at first. But in the end we came around to seeing their benefits! Can we survive without them? Absolutely.)

It's all what YOU want. I prefer a higher cabin category simply because I like more room (as in space) and we DO spend time in the room. We also like some (but not all) of the perks that those accommodations give us. But I can't remember sitting at a dinner table with other passengers and being asked what level room we are in! Although I DO remember on Renaissance that people would ask "how much did you pay", but that was often because no two passengers seemed to pay the same ...

Another thought: We've met many passengers who will stay in a 5 star hotel pre- or post-cruise but sail in a lower category ... we tend to opt for a higher category but stay in a 3 star hotel on land ...

Mura

Totally agree!

A word the use of should be banned on Cruise Critic. I find the use of it offensive. I feel the same way about the improper use of "hack" when referring to tricks or hints.

I agreed with you until I read the definition of "snarky" (see below)

snark·y.

1. informal

NORTH AMERICAN

(of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide:

"the kid who makes snarky remarks in class"

•cranky; irritable:

"Bobby's always a bit snarky before his nap"

IMO, there are definitely posters on Cruise Critic that make critical, cutting and snide remarks. Also IMO, there is no place for that here. Points can be made without "snarky" remarks or posting "roll eyes" (I admit to have doing that in the past). Perhaps posters can learn to disagree or debate with others without getting "snarky", critical, cutting or snide.

In any case, getting back to the subject of this thread, I agree with Mura in terms of being able to afford a larger suite but deciding to go with a small one. Like Mura, we prefer suites with lots of room and also enjoy the benefits associated with larger suites. However, I do not like to see lounges where only "certain" guests have access or the boarding process that Oceania uses. As I have posted earlier, on luxury cruise lines, it is first come, first served and we have never had a problem with this. However, with the security issues associated with ports in the U.S., there have been major issues/delays with boarding. Even with the delays, I would hate to see lower category passengers having to wait longer than anyone else.

Edited by Travelcat2

We cruise in inside cabins about 3/4ths of the time. Yes, people in suites get to make reservations for dinner before us, and get to make more reservations. That's fair - they paid a lot more for their cruise. I don't get to order off any menu and have the butler pick it up, but that's no big deal. Yes, there is a dedicated line for suite residents for check in at embarkation. However, there's never much of a wait for the rest of us, so it really doesn't matter. I don't have to wait for tender tickets, or wait longer in the GDR or wait to get off the ship. My room attendant and his/her assistant know I'm in an inside cabin, but my room gets cleaned as well and as fast as the veranda rooms I've been in. For me, there's no cast system on Oceania - just additional amenities if you pay more for your cruise. That's the way it should be. Works for me.

Snarky comments? One person on the Viking Ocean board takes the cake for that. About a year ago I was told I shouldn't comment on VO until I had actually taken a VO cruise. (We had booked, but not yet cruised. I was trying to explain something about ocean cruising and I guess the person didn't want to hear it, given how critical they were of VO in it's first month.) The same person told me I "might want to get a life." Hhmm...funny, I thought I already had one.

TC2,

If people arrive at the time they have been instructed to arrive, they are not likely to wait in long lines and they won't see anyone in the suites lines boarding before them as those people will have boarded already.

If they arrive at 9 AM instead of 1 PM - the time they have been instructed to arrive - then they are likely to wait a longer time and are likely to see others (suites) board before them.

It's that simple, IMO.

If people are expected to follow dress code instructions, why shouldn't they be expected to follow boarding instructions as well? They are pretty simple and straight forward. If one is looking for trouble, they are likely to find it :)

Edited by Paulchili

We cruise in inside cabins about 3/4ths of the time. Yes, people in suites get to make reservations for dinner before us, and get to make more reservations. That's fair - they paid a lot more for their cruise. I don't get to order off any menu and have the butler pick it up, but that's no big deal. Yes, there is a dedicated line for suite residents for check in at embarkation. However, there's never much of a wait for the rest of us, so it really doesn't matter. I don't have to wait for tender tickets, or wait longer in the GDR or wait to get off the ship. My room attendant and his/her assistant know I'm in an inside cabin, but my room gets cleaned as well and as fast as the veranda rooms I've been in. For me, there's no cast system on Oceania - just additional amenities if you pay more for your cruise. That's the way it should be. Works for me.

I understand your point but disagree with it. People in upper suites already have a lot of amenities that are "invisible" - why do they need to be treated differently on the ship (tender tickets, etc.)? It is sad for me to hear people accepting that it is okay to be treated as second class citizens on a luxury-lite cruise line. IMO, treating people equally is a sign of a luxury cruise line.

Paulchili - just one thing that you may not be thinking about. Many people arrive the morning of the cruise with nowhere to go except the cruise port. IMO, it does not seem fair for people to sit and wait for hours when all they want to do is board the ship and wait for their staterooms to be ready.

roothy123 - I've read "snarky" posts like you have described. There are so many ways of disagreeing with someone without trying to make them feel like an idiot.

Many people arrive the morning of the cruise with nowhere to go except the cruise port. IMO, it does not seem fair for people to sit and wait for hours when all they want to do is board the ship and wait for their staterooms to be ready.

People who board the ship earlier also have access to the Specialty Restaurants earlier, which means more reservation availability and popular times being open to them, the same goes for the Spa and Salon.

This is less of an issue, now that the majority of reservations are made Online, well in advance of the cruise, but it still isn't very nice to give other peoples benefits away, simply because you, yourself have a better option.

TC2,

If people arrive at the time they have been instructed to arrive, they are not likely to wait in long lines and they won't see anyone in the suites lines boarding before them as those people will have boarded already.

If they arrive at 9 AM instead of 1 PM - the time they have been instructed to arrive - then they are likely to wait a longer time and are likely to see others (suites) board before them.

It's that simple, IMO.

If people are expected to follow dress code instructions, why shouldn't they be expected to follow boarding instructions as well? They are pretty simple and straight forward. If one is looking for trouble, they are likely to find it :)

i agree

On our B2B we disembarked the ship at 8:50am in Miami as we exited the terminal there were people arriving with luggage ..not sure what the porters did with them but the people were not allowed into the terminal building only those with "in transit" cards were being allowed in even those of us waiting to reboard it was about 1 hr of sitting in the terminal until the ship was zeroed Trick is do not fly in the morning of but if this is not possible then plan to go for breakfast or sitesee take a tour until your boarding time

JMO

TC2,

You are certainly entitled to disagree. However, that does not automatically mean that you are right.

Boarding earlier in separate lines is a PERK that some people have PAID for. It is not a class distinction nor a loyalty reward. It is available to EVERYONE - even first time Oceania cruisers, at a price.

The same way as are other perks - earlier specialty restaurant reservations, more reservations for higher suites, having their cabins ready sooner on embarkation day, butlers for PH and above, en suite dining from specialties, spa deck access, etc, etc etc. - I am sure you know the list of perks for every cabin category.

Why do you have such a problem with suites passengers boarding earlier but not with them having all those other perks? You say that "suites already have a lot of invisible amenities". What number of "amenities" would be enough for your satisfaction? Is it because boarding is visible but those others are not?

The salient point is that these perks are available to ALL if they choose to pay for them - not just for some with higher loyalty status.

People staying in lower category cabins are NOT treated as second class citizens on this "luxury-lite" cruise line as has been pointed out by just about all posters here - they just receive fewer perks because they chose not to pay for them (for whatever personal reasons).

As for those passengers that arrive early because of early flights, they have other options - as pointed out by LHT28 (in addition to arriving a day early and spending the morning sightseeing or in their hotels). These people will not be made to wait till their boarding time (i.e. 1 PM) - they will be allowed to board as agents become available. They need to understand, however, that others may have priority because they chose to pay for it. Just like they need to understand that even after earlier boarding, if they are in lower category cabins, their cabins will not be available before the cabins for suite passengers. They too could pay for all those "privileges" if they had wanted to have them.

In fact, that is one of the things I like about Oceania. It is "a la carte" - you only pay for things and perks you like and want and not for things you don't need or want - like liquor and excursions on some luxury lines.

Edited by Paulchili

Mura

Great post!

We all make choices on how to spend, or not spend our money.

We don't find Oceania at all pretentious and we've been well treated regardless of cabin category. The OP should not worry about a class system.,

We love the upscale casual atmosphere, fine food and lovely ships.

There have been times when we arrived at the port very early. It isn't always possible to fly in a day early. It is difficult to kill time or take an early tour with luggage. We are happy to sit in the air conditioned terminal and wait. We do not resent passengers in the top suites boarding before us.

TC2,

You are certainly entitled to disagree. However, that does not automatically mean that you are right.

Boarding earlier in separate lines is a PERK that some people have PAID for. It is not a class distinction nor a loyalty reward. It is available to EVERYONE - even first time Oceania cruisers, at a price.

The same way as are other perks - earlier specialty restaurant reservations, more reservations for higher suites, having their cabins ready sooner on embarkation day, butlers for PH and above, en suite dining from specialties, spa deck access, etc, etc etc. - I am sure you know the list of perks for every cabin category.

Why do you have such a problem with suites passengers boarding earlier but not with them having all those other perks? You say that "suites already have a lot of invisible amenities". What number of "amenities" would be enough for your satisfaction? Is it because boarding is visible but those others are not?

The salient point is that these perks are available to ALL if they choose to pay for them - not just for some with higher loyalty status.

People staying in lower category cabins are NOT treated as second class citizens on this "luxury-lite" cruise line as has been pointed out by just about all posters here - they just receive fewer perks because they chose not to pay for them (for whatever personal reasons).

As for those passengers that arrive early because of early flights, they have other options - as pointed out by LHT28 (in addition to arriving a day early and spending the morning sightseeing or in their hotels). These people will not be made to wait till their boarding time (i.e. 1 PM) - they will be allowed to board as agents become available. They need to understand, however, that others may have priority because they chose to pay for it. Just like they need to understand that even after earlier boarding, if they are in lower category cabins, their cabins will not be available before the cabins for suite passengers. They too could pay for all those "privileges" if they had wanted to have them.

In fact, that is one of the things I like about Oceania. It is "a la carte" - you only pay for things and perks you like and want and not for things you don't need or want - like liquor and excursions on some luxury lines.

That is a perfect characterization of Oceania

That is a perfect characterization of Oceania

If that were a perfect characterization of Oceania, I would not sail with them.

Paulchili: Disagreeing with my point of view is not a problem. However, not having empathy for people that cannot board and have to sit for hours is not, IMO, a selling point for Oceania. Although we stay in upper suites, I would happily ask passengers sitting and waiting to board to be in our line and would stick up for their right to board. Paying more money is not the issue here.

Oceania is so intent on sticking to their rules that a new crew member was denied boarding a tender because it was full. It didn't matter that the last two tenders were either late or did not arrive at all -- they would rather the new crew member get in trouble with their management than make an exception for one person (note: I personally went into the H.R. Manager's office and explained the situation to them so the person would not get into trouble).

Perhaps you have given me a reason not to sail on Oceania again. This type of prejudice is just not something I could ever buy into.

If that were a perfect characterization of Oceania, I would not sail with them.

Paulchili: Disagreeing with my point of view is not a problem. However, not having empathy for people that cannot board and have to sit for hours is not, IMO, a selling point for Oceania. Although we stay in upper suites, I would happily ask passengers sitting and waiting to board to be in our line and would stick up for their right to board. Paying more money is not the issue here.

But - would you have that passenger take your place in line and for you to sit down in his/her place? I don't think so or else you would have actually done it rather than just talk about it :D

Oceania is so intent on sticking to their rules that a new crew member was denied boarding a tender because it was full. It didn't matter that the last two tenders were either late or did not arrive at all -- they would rather the new crew member get in trouble with their management than make an exception for one person (note: I personally went into the H.R. Manager's office and explained the situation to them so the person would not get into trouble).

Did you volunteer to get off the tender so that the new crew member could get on and not be in trouble? It doesn't sound like you did :D

Perhaps you have given me a reason not to sail on Oceania again. This type of prejudice is just not something I could ever buy into.

Actions speak louder than words.

Whether you sail on Oceania again is entirely up to you.

I think you shouldn't do it if you couldn't live with yourself afterwards.

It sounds to me that for a number of reasons you are happiest on luxury cruise lines and you should do what makes you really happy :)

Edited by Paulchili