What's the Class System Like on Oceania?

BBQ Lover

Sorry, but we're newbies and I'm NOT enjoying the show...this thread is making me feel as though there WILL be passengers on O looking sideways to see who gets what...rather the opposite of O's reputation for being a very congenial and well-traveled group.

One observation. Most posters who say there is no class system have done many many cruises on Oceania. Many north of 10 or 15.

Not so for those who think there is a class system.

Chew on that

Sorry, but we're newbies and I'm NOT enjoying the show...this thread is making me feel as though there WILL be passengers on O looking sideways to see who gets what...rather the opposite of O's reputation for being a very congenial and well-traveled group.

I can almost guarantee it will be "smooth sailing" for you on your O cruise. The only reason many of us know about some "class system" issues discussed by a particular cruiser is because of the numerous posts relating to this person's travels and included perks.

I actually could not believe some of what was being posted and personally wondered if Regent was having a difficult time filling cabins and needed PR and O was gaining those who used to cruise on Regent.

It's anybodies guess, but I personally have not seen a class system and assume you will not either.

Edited by portofinoitaly

I can almost guarantee it will be "smooth sailing" for you on your O cruise. The only reason many of us know about some "class system" issues discussed by a particular cruiser is because of the numerous posts relating to this person's travels and included perks.

I actually could not believe some of what was being posted and personally wondered if Regent was having a difficult time filling cabins and needed PR and O was gaining those who used to cruise on Regent.

It's anybodies guess, but I personally have not seen a class system and assume you will not either.

OK ....now I'm hot footing it over to the Regent forum. :D

You'll be fine on board. The atmosphere there is nothing like this board, thank goodness. I hop around to different boards just for fun (Windstar, Princess, Paul Gauguin, river cruises, etc.), but this board is the most entertaining in terms of donnybrooks. Pay no attention.

Edited by avalong

Thank you, Portofino...we are very much looking forward to experiencing O for ourselves.

We were attracted ( and agree) with the idea that everyone can choose the price point and comfort level they want (paying for those perks that matter to them) without anyone else caring what category they sail in.

This thread has made me rethink Cunard's "Grill Passengers Only" restrictive signs...maybe that system keeps everyone happier by not being able to compare what's offered there!!!

You are so funny Lottie A. I really do hope we get to share that "bottle" of wine one day. Did you notice it has gone from a glass each to a bottle? xo

I'm back....hmmmm! It's certainly good entertainment value over there! :D

Yes, I think a bottle is much better for sharing....somehow I don't think either of us is a "one glass" girl. :)

No need to apologize. I too find this show to be quite annoying … and embarrassing. Thus, I am unsubscribing, as it's not worth the time I have to spend deleting the notifications on my phone. But, first, I stick with my prior post, and say that I did not notice any "category" distinction on our Marina cruise last year; however, I am noticing quite a bit of "class" distinction on this board. Not one person that we met on Marina offered information pertaining to the type of cabin they were booked in, and IMO that indicates "class."

I have always found civility and lively, informational dialogue on this forum. It was a very refreshing change from another upscale cruise line forum, which I used to participate in when we cruised that line, which shall remain nameless.

Sorry to see some of the same drama creators and pretentiousness, making their way here!

Edited by nyfeds

One observation. Most posters who say there is no class system have done many many cruises on Oceania. Many north of 10 or 15.

Not so for those who think there is a class system.

Chew on that

Just like everything in life. Pay more, get more. Not really a class system, but close.

I'm a newbie too and can't wait for the next instalment!,😈

I'm ashamed to admit that I feel the same, although I'm not a newbie.

I do think that spending this long talking about class, and especially class distinction, shows a distinct lack of class.

I'm off now to find my tin hat.

And so that you know - we have all met via using the same Travel Agent.

And just like real life, some people have class and some don't. There is a nice congenial group of passengers on board. Oceania is not like that. I have met many lovely people onboard who are well educated, gregarious, well traveled people who are polite and could care less which cabin you are in.

Booked for later this year to South America, wondering about the 'Country Club Casual' attire. From photos it appears for dinner, men wear sport coats, no tie, & no specific formal nights apparently . Day wear, men khakis, polos or other shirts, women nice casual ? Just putting this out there for former cruisers on Oceania for any info, so appreciated. Thanks so much

Booked for later this year to South America, wondering about the 'Country Club Casual' attire. From photos it appears for dinner, men wear sport coats, no tie, & no specific formal nights apparently . Day wear, men khakis, polos or other shirts, women nice casual ? Just putting this out there for former cruisers on Oceania for any info, so appreciated. Thanks so much

I brought a sports jacket on my first O cruise. Never found a need to wear it. Never brought one again.

You will see some sports jackets and even a tie here and there at dinner in the specialty restaurants (maybe even the GDR). But, slacks and collared shirts (what we'd have called "preppy" in the sixties/seventies) are more in line with what is the general rule for "country club casual."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Those photos are of models, not real passengers.

You won't need a jacket, although some men wear them. You won't need a tie. You definitely won't need a suit.

You should dress neatly, especially in the evenings, but casual is casual. There are no formal evenings, not even at the Captain's reception or -- should you be asked -- at the captain's table.

You can wear jeans, shorts, and the like to dinner in the buffet restaurant but not in any of the "real" restaurants.

It's not hard to fit in with the "regime".

Welcome to Oceania.

Mura

If there is no class system on O -- then why are the key cards -- labeled White, Silver and Gold.

There is a pseudo class system where some passenger get extra perks like lounges, extra bookings in Specialty restaurants, ability to book these earlier, extra reservations, priority tenders, hot room service breakie (versus continental), priority wait list on shore excursions when sold out etc..

HOWEVER - we have done all classes and despite these minor items -- these are just extra perks based on fair paid. Certainly not like Cunard -- where you are segregated in the dining room

As I recall only the Suite passengers ( Queens & Princess grill cabins) are segregated. Everyone else eats together. 😆

Denise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As I recall only the Suite passengers ( Queens & Princess grill cabins) are segregated. Everyone else eats together. 😆

Denise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Whatever they call it, darling, it's still a three class system, it's just that in 2016 they find it more user friendly to say Queens Grill Class, Princess Grill Class and Brittania Class than First, Cabin and Third Class.

f79a209e35fbfd6d77a1482c1991c477.jpg

Edited by StanandJim

Consider the photographs in the marketing material aspirational, but not actual. You'll definitely find some men and women whose packing choices match those of the models, but not the majority. Frankly, I think Oceania would do itself and the posters on this board a huge favor if they would dress the models in such a way that represents a study guide on what Country Club Casual really means.

Right now, jeans are the big question mark. Recent changes in the marketing material now read "For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner." Folks on this board have obsessed over the meaning of non-casual jeans.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, it would make sense for Oceania to start dressing its models in jeans. Then we'd know with confidence whether "dress jeans" only means the dark wash version (or black)... whether "dress jeans" means tapered style but not boot cut style... whether jeans become dressy when worn with high heels and a fancy top (ladies) or a dress shirt or blazer (men)...

I don't understand why Oceania has avoided providing some useful role models in its brochures and on its web site. Doing a web search on the term "dressy jeans" isn't very helpful. I pulled up an image search of lots of photographs, only some of which matched my own concept. There's a Glamour magazine site titled "Nine Ways to Dress Up Your Jeans" and only six passed my personal concept and a couple of those were marginal. I've been watching the television series "Grace and Frankie." Jane Fonda's character, Grace, often wears jeans, and, whenever I see one of her jeans outfits, I think "Oceania would approve."

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not a big fan of modern art but I will be happy to visit there, and I know DH will enjoy it.

I was also considering contacting the outfit we used for a walking tour on our last visit ...

We DO love Barcelona! But right now we are pretty sure we'll cancel the airbnb because of the luggage problems and just use the hotel we booked. At least we can drop off luggage when we arrive, and if we're lucky ... even check in!

Mura

Mura, only just reading this thread today, so i am not sure if this is of any use. We wanted a room just for the day when we come back from a cruise and have a late flight. The hotel we are using pre cruise couldn't fit us in but gave us a couple of websites for rooms in Barcelona

http://www.between9and5.com

http://www.dayuse.com

We have booked a Barcelo near the centre so my sister who is a wheelchair user has somewhere to rest.

Thanks for the suggestions (which I will save for next time). I haven't cancelled the airbnb place yet but probably will. Instead we'll just use the Hotel Regencia Colon which I booked even before I considered airbnb. It's more expensive than the apartment but in a more convenient location AND we can always leave our luggage there until our room is ready.

Mura

Mura, only just reading this thread today, so i am not sure if this is of any use. We wanted a room just for the day when we come back from a cruise and have a late flight. The hotel we are using pre cruise couldn't fit us in but gave us a couple of websites for rooms in Barcelona

http://www.between9and5.com

http://www.dayuse.com

We have booked a Barcelo near the centre so my sister who is a wheelchair user has somewhere to rest.

Thanks for those links ... don't need day use at the moment, but useful to have in my back pocket anyway.

Our first O cruise is coming up in November. We have abandoned X and HAl because of the crazy up selling and class system. On the Solstice last year the mdr was condensed to make room for a suite dining room. A table for two was so close to the next tables, it was impossible not to speak to your neighbours. Food was of poor quality and the wait times were terrible. Don't the cruise lines read the reviews, most passengers have the same complaints.

Not the case with Azamara....great cruise, best cruise ever. Hoping we love the Marina as much.