Flying to Ft Lauderdale

Shmoo here

I'm hoping that I'm asking in the right place.

We're thinking of a Princess cruise out of Ft Lauderdale. As we've not flown into there before we have no clue about what's the best airline/flights to take.

We're coming from Los Angeles.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Shmoo here

They are all the same. I would take whichever is cheaper that has the flight times you want. Or whichever your preferred airline is. Southwest and jet Blue use FLL as a hub or focus city. I've flown into FLL on American, it's all a matter of personal preference.

I would check flights both into Miami and FLL. They are only about 45 minutes apart and you can usually find a shuttle that will transport between MIA and Port Everglades. (SuperShuttle for one). Just remember to factor the cost of the shuttle in with the price of an MIA flight to see if it truly is a better deal. But then if you can fly Southwest into FLL, you get the free bags. So, whatever works for you. :)

(If you fly in the day before, like most folks do, you can usually still have the shuttle pick you up from a hotel.)

We're thinking of a Princess cruise out of Ft Lauderdale. As we've not flown into there before we have no clue about what's the best airline/flights to take.

Thanks for any help.

We fly LAX-FLL often for our cruise's...use whatever airline offers the best price and flight times. We like to fly in the day before but since that's not always possible we have also flown in a few times on the redeye either direct or connecting but always make sure we have a very early morning arrival time...

Port Everglades is only approx. a 10 min taxi ride from FLL..one of the easiest ports to sail out of for us and will probably be for you too.

Thanks, everyone!

If you search on AA you can sometimes find really good deals for non-stop flights between LAX and MIA. I prefer non-stops as there are less things that can go wrong with your trip and you are less likely to be late.

Maybe Jet Blue has a non-stop from Long Beach to FLL which would even be better as the airport's are smaller and FLL, as was stated, is really close to the port.

Edited by SelectSys

Whichever airport you choose if you absolutely must arrive on embarkation day plan carefully. You must be onboard 90 minutes before sail away.

Plan your return flight with equal care. MIA has even longer lines than FLL. A comfortable departure from FLL would be after 11 if you are on a Caribbean sailing. For a repo or ta add an hour. For a MIA departure for a cruise arriving at Port Everglades add an hour to the above recs.

Many will disagree with me and think I am padding too much time on but a casual flyer doesn't need the stress of a delayed arrival or airport/TSA mess.

If you have additional questions repost before you book.

Flew into FLL from BOS on Jetblue a few weeks ago, and was impressed. From touchdown to kerbside in 30 minutes, with checked - in baggage.

JetBlue does not fly LGB to FLL direct, change at SFO/JFK or BOS.

The comments probably had more to do with the terminal experience at FLL than it did which airline it was.

The comments probably had more to do with the terminal experience at FLL than it did which airline it was.

Sorry, should have made it clear that I was being appreciative of FLL, rather than any particular airline.

Sorry, should have made it clear that I was being appreciative of FLL, rather than any particular airline.

Wow....Not often anyone has anything good to say about FLL ;)

Wow....Not often anyone has anything good to say about FLL ;)

It's funny. Many of the Southern Florida locals we know prefer Fort Lauderdale over Miami airport. I guess for them it is the drive time depending on where they are coming from. Given the choice I prefer Miami because if you are there for a few hours there is a lot more choices for food and even shops to walk around and airport club lounges, at least for the airline we usually take. :)

Keith

Thanks for any help.

Just my two cents.

I would plan to arrive at least one day before your cruise and not take a chance of arriving that day. This might already be your plan but just in case I wanted to mention it. There is risk flying in the day of the cruise between cancelled or delayed flights that might result in missing the ship.

For your return flight I would go with something around noon.

The good news is that Port Everglades is located around 10 minutes from the airport but sometimes disembarkations are delayed or even ships arriving to port later than planned.

Keith

Thanks for any help.

We always use Southwest. They have decent prices, are on time, never lost our luggage. They usually have wifi onboard but you have to pay for it. They offer only soft drinks and peanuts or pretzels. It's a long flight so you might want to bring something along that's more substantial to eat. The stewards are friendly and helpful. We always use Southwest.

We flew from Sacramento to FLL via Southwest. We changed planes in Las Vegas and it was an easy flight. Don't know if you're flying nonstop but I would definitely fly in a day early. Carry trip insurance as well, ya never know.....

Edited by elliair

On time....never lose luggage...yada

Get the real data at THIS LINK. It's the Department of Transportation's Air Travel Consumer Report. You can research airlines and airports and come to your own evaluation.

As someone used to have in their sig: The plural of anecdote is NOT data.

Thanks for any help.

If you do not book through the cruise line airfare (which we never do because its so expensive), you want to make sure you make it to the ship before it leaves. We usually fly down a day early no matter the time of year in case of any weather issues. I usually always book non-stop flights if possible.

I usually book South West just because they are cheaper and include baggage. :)

It's funny. Many of the Southern Florida locals we know prefer Fort Lauderdale over Miami airport. I guess for them it is the drive time depending on where they are coming from. Given the choice I prefer Miami because if you are there for a few hours there is a lot more choices for food and even shops to walk around and airport club lounges, at least for the airline we usually take. :)

Keith

I agree.:):):) I don't mind FLL but I actually really like the Miami airport if I'm going to be there for a few hours or more. It's like a wonderful mall with excellent food!

I'm looking at flights for December and may end up flying into Miami depending on what works best for me.

• 1 month later...
Anyone have experience flying jet blue from Detroit? Only one flight in am. Planning to fly in day before. My concern do they ever cancel flights?

EVERY airline cancels flights. Some more than others. I was just reading yesterday where Delta reached the metric of 100 cancellation-free days in the first 161 days of 2016 flying. Then today came along. Oops.

Read the DOT report posted above for actual statistics on airline performance for 2015. Of course, as someone here once mentioned, delays and cancellations are binary to the traveler, not averages. Either your flight is affected or it isn't. No percentage where 94% of the plane arrives on time and the other 6% are delayed.

The biggest concern should be "what are my fall-back positions if I do experience a cancellation or delay?" Then, it all comes down to your own risk-tolerance level. No one can make that evaluation for you. And to your original question: past individual experiences are only anecdotes, not data.

If you fly in the day before, like most folks do,

We always recommend going a day early...the weather can often be brutal in FLL with lightning storms and even tornadoes. We would have gotten left behind more than once had we not gone a day early.

Steve