Anthem passenger has serious injuries, lost control of scooter in Bermuda

This is why they have good public transportation..and don't allow visitors to rent cars!

No, that is not the reason they don't allow visitors to rent cars. Of course I just wasted a response since you'll never come back to see you've been corrected.

Been there done that. Some times it's to hard to resist.

A few years back in Bermuda, I rented a scooter for the first time alone. Usually, my husband drives and I sit on the back. To this day, when I think about that scooter I get stomach sick. I nearly crashed. I honestly think an angel saved me, because I was going straight into a bus head-on. I even closed my eyes for the impact!!! Next thing I knew I was on the side of the road...safe but beyond scared.

We returned the scooters...we still had a ways to go and I was so scared but I managed. Never ever ever again!! Never.

Been there done that.

Many of us have.;)

Some times it's to hard to resist.

For sure.

Well now, it sure makes sense that since they have good transportation, tourists can't rent cars but they can rent scooters doesn't it?:D

Edited by iheartbda

I don't do it for the poster, as you said they rarely come back to see their inaccuracies, but for others who are not aware so they know the truth.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Unless you have years of experience driving a motorcycle and a valid motorcycle license this will happen many times over. .

Not true. I have 40+ years of motorcycle experience and that will not stop it happening.

I honestly think an angel saved me, because I was going straight into a bus head-on. I even closed my eyes for the impact!!! Next thing I knew I was on the side of the road...safe but beyond scared.

You probably had target fixation, a common mistake. You looked at where you were going instead of where you wanted to go. Closing your eyes gave up any chance of evasion. You were very lucky.

Folks, once again I will stand upon my soapbox and pontificate.

As mentioned, I have 40+ years of riding. I always ride ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time), never drink and ride, continue to take riding skills courses, properly maintained bike, you name it.

There is NO WAY I would rent a scooter of unknown condition, in a foreign country with different traffic characteristics, with no protective gear other than an ill fitting bicycle helmet and limited to NO riding experience and no training.

Riding is an inherently dangerous sport. I do everything I can to minimize risk. Renting scooters on vacation is a terrible practice that should be eliminated, but it will never happen as long as people are willing to do it.

Please think twice before you choose to risk your safety.

Thanks.

Edited by squiffynimrod

Sadly, when we were in Cozumel 2 weeks ago and were on our way to Nachi Cocum, right in front of Paradise was a bad scooter accident. The driver passed away. It was devastating to see. I have thought about her many times since. So very sad. Scooters are dangerous there too because they drive right with the cars. It was scary to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why they have good public transportation..and don't allow visitors to rent cars!

I know you never actually read any replies to your posts, but are you saying that I can't rent a rental car in Fredricsburg Virginia or anywhere nearby?:rolleyes:

You and I both know that this post is just wrong at the 100% accuracy level.:eek::rolleyes:

I think the hosts need to put a permanent disclaimer in your signature. Just saying.

JC

No, that is not the reason they don't allow visitors to rent cars. Of course I just wasted a response since you'll never come back to see you've been corrected.

I've had my weak moments too.

I have rented scooters in Bermuda in the past and, yes, I have a long motorcycle riding history. It is nice to have the freedom to go where you want when you want but the roads are everything others have written about above. They are narrow, a lot of rotaries, and you are driving on the side that you are not used to and going through the rotaries in the "wrong" direction. There is ample opportunity to get into trouble.

We saw one accident once when we were there. It happened near a school bus stop. I will never forget it because after the driver on scooter went down the kids at the bus stop started applauding. The sadness of any accident along with the disgusting reaction of the kids. I've never forgotten it.

Believe me you, do not want to rent a scooter unless you have experience. I lose 4% of my students every year to accidents, but most of the time to death. As of today, we have a male Brit 28 years in the hospital in ICU, no insurance and no money. His family in England is trying to bring him home for 3 1/2 months, but in Thailand they do no release you until your hospital bill is paid. In case of death, your body is used as collateral. Your embassies will not pay. This happens at least every 2 months in Thailand to a tourist without travel insurance because of a scooter accident. DO NOT RENT A MOTORCYCLE OR SCOOTER ON HOLIDAY!

Put one down twice during the first day of our honeymoon, turned it in and never regretted it. Thankfully no injuries beyond some nasty road rash, but since they apparently use some coral in the paving compound on the island it makes the road rash that much worse.

Buses and ferries are great on Bermuda! And there are stops right by the Swizzle Inn.

Our tour guide made a good point: no matter how experienced you are driving a scooter or motorcycle, if you aren't used to driving on the left hand side of the road, your automatic reaction will be that of someone driving on the right side of the road, which will put you in a bad spot.

I have never been to Bermuda...So why don't they allow rental cars if it isn't for the great potential for accidents because of over crowded narrow highways?

I googled it and that's what I got....

Edited by CruisesOnMyMind

I have never been to Bermuda...So why don't they allow rental cars if it isn't for the great potential for accidents because of over crowded narrow highways?

I googled it and that's what I got....

That does come into play BUT, peopl are at far more risk of serious injury on a scooter and tourists can rent those. That reasoning doesn't make much sense. I'm not saying it may not be a consideration but it's not the only reason and just may be a bit of a smokescreen.;) Bermuda residents are only permitted one car per household which is to keep the roads from becoming more overcrowded than they already are. Sure wouldn't be fair then to let tourists add to the overcrowding.

Tourists have never been permitted to rent cars even when the population was less than it is now and there were less cars on the roads.

The scooter that I rented had a very prominent sticker right at the top of the speedometer saying Keep Left, with the arrow pointing left for those unsure of which is which.

I don't remember whether it was Bermuda or the Bahamas though.

The traffic circles were my problem. I pulled to the shoulder and waited till someone else went through one the first time, and then just followed them.

For me, it was an ideal way to explore the chain of islands, because I had a towel, face mask and flippers with me, and could (and did) stop any time along the way where I found a pretty looking beach that seemed to say 'snork here'.

The scooter that I rented had a very prominent sticker right at the top of the speedometer saying Keep Left, with the arrow pointing left for those unsure of which is which.

I don't remember whether it was Bermuda or the Bahamas though.

The traffic circles were my problem. I pulled to the shoulder and waited till someone else went through one the first time, and then just followed them.

For me, it was an ideal way to explore the chain of islands, because I had a towel, face mask and flippers with me, and could (and did) stop any time along the way where I found a pretty looking beach that seemed to say 'snork here'.

Then you probably were not in Bermuda because with all the traffic you would not have had to pull over to wait for someone else to go through. There are ALWAYS other vehicles ahead of you.

From my personal experience on a scooter when we were in Key Largo a couple of years back.

I was doing ok, but at one point forgot which way the throttle works for braking and instead of slowing down, I sped up. Wound up stopping in front of a fire house, with a bunch of firemen sitting in front of the station. They all had a laugh and told me, "we see a lot of that". From that point...no more scooters; I'll take four wheels under me. As for Bermuda...even worse!

This was actually a good friend of mine. Sadly he died two weeks ago :( he left behind his new wife (they were on their honeymoon) and his special needs daughter and 2 step children (from a previous marriage where his wife died of cancer 2 yrs prior) so sad. We don't believe his death was a direct result of this accident but he had many complications from the accident and ultimately went into cardiac arrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This was actually a good friend of mine. Sadly he died two weeks ago :( he left behind his new wife (they were on their honeymoon) and his special needs daughter and 2 step children (from a previous marriage where his wife died of cancer 2 yrs prior) so sad. We don't believe his death was a direct result of this accident but he had many complications from the accident and ultimately went into cardiac arrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very sorry to hear that news. Condolences to you and his family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have been to BErmuda many times and would never consider renting a scooter. Neither of us have any experience driving anything but a car. We have never driven on the opposite side of the road. The busses, in particular, tailgate, even scooters. The roads are narrow, just allowing 2 busses to pass and then we have even been on some where the sideview mirrors actually collided. The roads are also very winding so taking turns could case someone to wipe out.

We were on Grandeur in 2009 to Bermuda and a couple of younger passengers rented a scooter. They were involved in an accident. One was killed and the other severely injured. The cruise staff warn passengers not to rent scooters, but still many do it anyways.

We have used the public transportation options and they work very well to get around the island. The busses and ferries are a great alternative to booking excursions as you can get all over the island and see what interests you. Public transportation passes are very reasonable in price.