Times are changing

silkman

Interesting question the one of handkerchiefs , what does one do.

I forgot to pack any silk ones for the breast pocket on last cruise..

And I not have any ordinary ones I suppose if I have a cold I usually have a small packet of tissues in my pocket if the wife reminds me .

I do think there are big changes on Oceana. My last cruise in 2011 on Oceana the average age was about 70. On riviera currently, the average age is in the 50's. There are young people and even kids. Dressing up for dinner is not the future problems I would forecast for Oceania. Younger families with kids might be.

I was in red ginger two nights ago. The table of 5 near us was the future problem. The parents were on their cells texting. The grandma was also on her cell. The grandfather just sat there looking lost. Their 4 year old ran in circles around the table making airplane noises. At first his behavior was so outrageous I thought he might be mentally handicapped. I am sure he did 100 laps. The wait staff looked flustered too. Nothing was said. The kid was ignored. The cell phones were part of the dinner.... I don't even see such behavior on other lines and Oceania has no training in place to even deal with this... Spoiled adults and phone addicted customers leads to kids running wild.

Dress jeans without holes seems minor!

I do think there are big changes on Oceana. My last cruise in 2011 on Oceana the average age was about 70. On riviera currently, the average age is in the 50's. There are young people and even kids. Dressing up for dinner is not the future problems I would forecast for Oceania. Younger families with kids might be.

I was in red ginger two nights ago. The table of 5 near us was the future problem. The parents were on their cells texting. The grandma was also on her cell. The grandfather just sat there looking lost. Their 4 year old ran in circles around the table making airplane noises. At first his behavior was so outrageous I thought he might be mentally handicapped. I am sure he did 100 laps. The wait staff looked flustered too. Nothing was said. The kid was ignored. The cell phones were part of the dinner.... I don't even see such behavior on other lines and Oceania has no training in place to even deal with this... Spoiled adults and phone addicted customers leads to kids running wild.

There is a request noted in the CURRENTS that cell phones not be used in the dining venues

but if the passengers are too rude to abide by the request then management needs to step in & ask them to put them away or leave

Maybe they were texting each other, verbal conversation seems to be dead with some people these days

Children running around the dining venues the Maitre'd need to step in & ask the parent to control the child or leave

it is a safety issue for the wait staff as well as an annoyance to other passengers

some forceful training to the management staff is required IMO

There is a request noted in the CURRENTS that cell phones not be used in the dining venues

but if the passengers are too rude to abide by the request then management needs to step in & ask them to put them away or leave

Maybe they were texting each other, verbal conversation seems to be dead with some people these days

Children running around the dining venues the Maitre'd need to step in & ask the parent to control the child or leave

it is a safety issue for the wait staff as well as an annoyance to other passengers

some forceful training to the management staff is required IMO

I agree totaly... maybe these people were calling the pope or he calling them for advice ! Or brokering a mid east peace deal...

Obviously these were extremely important people that the world needed . Or at least they thought so....

This is one reason I decided not to get the new phones and to discard any old ones. I had ..I didn't want to be identified as a member of this cult of the obsessed who's best friend has a lithium battery....Its pandemic and sad people are oblivious to everything and everyone around them.

Why dosent O figure out a way to disable or block any of the signals in their public and dining venues? Let them get a signal in the privacy of their cabin... where they can revel in their need to be connected

Where do I buy one of those? Need it for my up coming cruise.

Black tie is a term used to describe a formal tuxedo, A casual one would be a white tropical or some other color. A white jacket, tux slacks, white shirt no cummerbund and a non black tie... would be casual

In the strict seance of the rules That would be informal Suit and tie next down is Casual Jacket slacks and collared shirt no tie.

I was on Regent some years back and they informed male passengers that a gentleman outside of his cabin after 6 pm should have a jacket

As a simple axiom I say dress in a manner of personal pride and respect for ones companions and the locale. and yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
i'm new to Oceania. Where can I find the posted dress code information??

Would like to see what country club casual means in terms of dress code. hubby prefers nice dark jeans but will wear dress pants if necessary.

thank you!

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Black tie is a term used to describe a formal tuxedo, A casual one would be a white tropical or some other color. A white jacket, tux slacks, white shirt no cummerbund and a non black tie... would be casual

According to Webster, the difference between a Tuxedo and a Suit is the presence of satin on the garment.

That said, if you go to a fine clothier such as Martin Greenfield or Alton Lane and ask about formal-wear etiquette, they will tell you that a true tuxedo must be black

Any other color of what we have commonly come to call "a tuxedo" would more properly be called a "dinner suit".

ba00331_small.jpg A white Jacket substituted for the black jacket of a tuxedo ensemble (known as a dinner jacket) is is only appropriate at formal occasions in the tropics year round and in America during the summer season, typically at open-air social gatherings such as country club dances and yacht club parties or on pleasure cruises.

While summer in the southern United States qualifies as being at least subtropical, the same cannot be said for the more temperate northern states or Canada. For this reason white dinner jackets are seldom appropriate north of the Mason-Dixon line, outside of a maritime context.

The United Kingdom's climate is inappropriate for white formal wear at any time of the year, with the notable exception of Last Night of the Proms.

So much for a White Jacket being an "informal tuxedo" ;)

Fortunately, any discussion on dress code that involves the words tuxedo, suit or a tie - formal, informal or any other from or color of it - is totally irrelevant for me when referring to Oceania dress code :D

Edited by Paulchili

According to Webster, the difference between a Tuxedo and a Suit is the presence of satin on the garment.

That said, if you go to a fine clothier such as Martin Greenfield or Alton Lane and ask about formal-wear etiquette, they will tell you that a true tuxedo must be black

Any other color of what we have commonly come to call "a tuxedo" would more properly be called a "dinner suit".

ba00331_small.jpg A white Jacket substituted for the black jacket of a tuxedo ensemble (known as a dinner jacket) is is only appropriate at formal occasions in the tropics year round and in America during the summer season, typically at open-air social gatherings such as country club dances and yacht club parties or on pleasure cruises.

While summer in the southern United States qualifies as being at least subtropical, the same cannot be said for the more temperate northern states or Canada. For this reason white dinner jackets are seldom appropriate north of the Mason-Dixon line, outside of a maritime context.

The United Kingdom's climate is inappropriate for white formal wear at any time of the year, with the notable exception of Last Night of the Proms.

So much for a White Jacket being an "informal tuxedo" ;)

That explains why I've never seen a white sport coat and a pink carnation.

Of course, everyone is entitled to wear what they want (within Oceania's dress code). I am sure you look very sharp in your pink Italian shoes. My preference might be my black Zenga jeans (no holes) with a nice shirt. I certainly would not be offended by your jacket tie and cuff links , and I would hope you would not be by my "casual" outfit. Life is too short to worry about trivialities. Better to enjoy the company and great food at dinner , and feel comfortable with how you feel in what you are wearing, and not be a member of the "fashion police".

Agree 100%. Do not even take a sport jacket anymore. And if pink shoes doesn't like it he can stay home......

Agree 100%. Do not even take a sport jacket anymore. And if pink shoes doesn't like it he can stay home......

I think what you meant to say was that if someone wanted to wear a smart pair of pink shoes you would be very happy that they were maintaining standards.

I think what you meant to say was that if someone wanted to wear a smart pair of pink shoes you would be very happy that they were maintaining standards.

They would not be my standards but whatever make them happy :D

As long as it is within the cruise lines dress code guideline ...who really cares :rolleyes:

Whose standards? Not mine or probably most of us who cruise on Oceania.

Of course, everyone is entitled to wear what they want (within Oceania's dress code). I am sure you look very sharp in your pink Italian shoes. My preference might be my black Zenga jeans (no holes) with a nice shirt. I certainly would not be offended by your jacket tie and cuff links , and I would hope you would not be by my "casual" outfit. Life is too short to worry about trivialities. Better to enjoy the company and great food at dinner , and feel comfortable with how you feel in what you are wearing, and not be a member of the "fashion police".

I would not mind seeing pink dress shoes (colors are actually "in" at the moment) but would not like seeing black jeans - with or without holes (unless worn with a sports jacket). However, as has been said, if it meets Oceania's guidelines, no one can complain (but we can still voice our opinions).

I would not mind seeing pink dress shoes (colors are actually "in" at the moment) but would not like seeing black jeans - with or without holes (unless worn with a sports jacket). However, as has been said, if it meets Oceania's guidelines, no one can complain (but we can still voice our opinions).

Pink shoes are in for men??? Don't know about where you live, but not in Florida. Unless you are talking about for women. Either way we should still voice our opinions. Free speech is always good even if we don't always agree.

I'm sorry, I'm only a simple repeat cruiser on Oceania who needs you to explain your problem with the shoes.

It may be just a cultural difference

You do not see many men wearing pink dress shoes in North America ;)

But who really cares as long as he is happy with his look

We did see a man on The World in one port that had a pink suit with hat to match ...whatever floats your boat

If someone wants to wear a shirt with cufflinks & tie with a jacket fine but if the dress code does not require any of those why get annoyed at people who choose a simple shirt & dress slacks which is within the Oceania dress guidelines

Edited by LHT28

Pink shoes are in for men??? Don't know about where you live, but not in Florida. Unless you are talking about for women. Either way we should still voice our opinions. Free speech is always good even if we don't always agree.

So why suggest if someone doesn't agree with you "he can stay home ..."?

I think I read a little more irony into the "It's just not cricket!" remark, but even without it, so what? I love the smart casual look on O but it doesn't worry me if someone else wants to dress up - even if they were to wear shoes in every colour of the rainbow.

Especially as I wouldn't see them under the table ;). BTW, I think more colourful shoes are a younger man's thing.

i'm new to Oceania. Where can I find the posted dress code information??

Would like to see what country club casual means in terms of dress code. hubby prefers nice dark jeans but will wear dress pants if necessary.

thank you!

"Country club casual" is basically "preppy."' In college in the 60's (at least in the northeast US), there was primarily "preppy" and "hippie." (Of course, somewhere between Philly and L.A. there were cowboys). It was easy to figure out which venues would welcome you and which you'd steer clear of anyway.

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Thanks for posting this. Not sure what elegant casual is exactly, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Thanks for posting this. Not sure what elegant casual is exactly, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

The guidelines as quoted in another thread, leave many options. But, if you follow those guidelines while dressing as you would in a nice restaurant in your home town (fitting in with the majority of the patrons), you'll be fine. No need to stress about dress, but better to stress about your ports and what you want to see.

Edited by buggins0402