Times are changing

silkman

I agree, dress casual can mean nice-----when you go out to dinner most people want to dress in comfortable clothes, but still look nice. To us it's part of going out. And when we go to a nice place I don't want to see jeans with hole, shorts or t-shirts. But that's us.

Thanks for posting this. Not sure what elegant casual is exactly, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

To me it means a nice top maybe linen shirt or even polyester with a nice skirt or dress slacks cotton blend, linen, silk etc..

no T's or shorts for dinner venues (except the Terrace)

for men a collared shirt with nice slacks think Dockers or dress slacks

These days everyone is so casual no one remembers how to dress nicely

saw a wedding party & some guests in jeans ...it would not be my idea of wedding attire but it might be for some

YMMV

When J P Morgan send their staff to Asia and Australia they will probably tell them that more formal dress is appropriate there. (My daughter used to get the task of instructing visiting Americans to dress up for business meetings in the merchant bank where she worked.)

I think it all comes back that there is a time and a place....we saw so many distressed jeans in Europe recently but in my mind dinner time on a cruise is not the place.

Just off the Riviera. Only ate in the GDR once and saw a family turned away where the father and several young men in the party were wearing shorts. Dress in the specialty restaurants ranged from sport coats to linen short sleeve shirts and khakis for the men and nice outfits for the women. Didn't see any jeans, dressy or otherwise. Didn't notice any outfits that caused us to take note, nudge each other or comment. Even in the Terrace people seemed neat and nicely dressed. People in the specialty restaurants seemed a bit more dressy. Some people obviously enjoyed dressing for dinner (sport coats or dressy dresses) but even those who didn't were nicely dressed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So why suggest if someone doesn't agree with you "he can stay home ..."?

I think I read a little more irony into the "It's just not cricket!" remark, but even without it, so what? I love the smart casual look on O but it doesn't worry me if someone else wants to dress up - even if they were to wear shoes in every colour of the rainbow.

Especially as I wouldn't see them under the table ;). BTW, I think more colourful shoes are a younger man's thing.

I think you have this backwards. I have no problem with pink shoes but he seems to have an issue with the way most of the rest of us dress. That is why I said "if he does not like it he can stay home".

i'm new to Oceania. Where can I find the posted dress code information??

Would like to see what country club casual means in terms of dress code. hubby prefers nice dark jeans but will wear dress pants if necessary.

thank you!

In terms of your husband, Dockers or Dockers-type trousers would be fine. I'm of the school of thought that feels there's no such thing as "dressy jeans" for men, and barely so for women. Dockers and polo shirts are a good rule of thumb. Depending on the itinerary, an occasional collared tropical shirt. I tend to bring a blazer for dining in the specialty restaurants, but didn't do so on our recent French Polynesia cruise; probably will bring one to Northern Europe next year.

On Marina in January, the first night out, we witnessed an ugly scene in the shop where a 40-something man was launching at his wife and the Oceania store staff and everyone within earshot at the outrage at his having to actually buy a pair of long pants and shirts with collars. Wasn't pretty.

In terms of your husband, Dockers or Dockers-type trousers would be fine. I'm of the school of thought that feels there's no such thing as "dressy jeans" for men, and barely so for women. Dockers and polo shirts are a good rule of thumb. Depending on the itinerary, an occasional collared tropical shirt. I tend to bring a blazer for dining in the specialty restaurants, but didn't do so on our recent French Polynesia cruise; probably will bring one to Northern Europe next year.

On Marina in January, the first night out, we witnessed an ugly scene in the shop where a 40-something man was launching at his wife and the Oceania store staff and everyone within earshot at the outrage at his having to actually buy a pair of long pants and shirts with collars. Wasn't pretty.

I guess there is one in every crowd. Got to be pretty dumb not to know short and t shirts do not belong in the dining rooms for dinner.

Welcome to the "new" Oceania :D

Pink shoes are in for men??? Don't know about where you live, but not in Florida. Unless you are talking about for women. Either way we should still voice our opinions. Free speech is always good even if we don't always agree.

We haven't actually seen pink "dress" shoes for men but men are wearing tennis shoes in all the "neon" colors (we see them at the gym all the time). Guess I was thinking pink shirt (love pink dress shirts on men) with pink leather shoes (muted - not bright pink). While I would not want to see my DH in pink dress shoes, I'd take that over jeans (won't even let him pack jeans for our cruises -- too heavy -- but he does wear shorts during the day).

Have to laugh about people trying to define a "tuxedo" on this thread. I'm sure some people have worn a tuxedo on Oceania but we haven't seen it.

How very dare you lot bring my pink shoes into question , I bet in Paris, Monaco or Milan or other such places of fashion one would also see men in Pink shoes ! Even Eddie Jordon of Formula 1 fame I bet would be seen in pink. They are quite discrete a strawberry nubuck , not at all in yer face. and in any case my wife loves them and approves. Thinking about a Pink jacket now.

I mean is Florida the centre of world fashion , I think not , and sartorial elegance is this the preserve of Oeania , I think not either.

Maybe I am on occasion a touch flamboyant , the Pink shoes were carefully chosen and she who must be obeyed approved and checked they would pass the spirit of the dress code .

Now shoes , do I have a few pairs , to say the least a few most likely 2O pairs at the moment costing anywhere from £100 to £345 a pair from extremely conservative traditional hand made fine English shoes from the likes of Grenson, Barker , Joeseph Cheney , and others and the odd pair of Italian ones , love em all , nice shoes make you feel good and walk taller. No need for Velcro yet I can tie my laces !! Oh had on last cruise a pair of Grensons made on a U.S. Marine officers shoe last and design , I would think not current but somewhat older , very comfortable and very very traditional brown with 2 layer leather soles .

And no , I do not think I am sartorial or elegant , but I try ! And do not follow the crowd.

Er Erm men don't wear slacks , we wear trousers ! Or I suppose over that side of the pond Pants , we wear pants under our trousers ! , Women wear slacks !

Er Tongue fully wedged in cheek here , don't take offence , just messing. Oh and been told of for being here !

Edited by S2000ap1

When J P Morgan send their staff to Asia and Australia they will probably tell them that more formal dress is appropriate there. (My daughter used to get the task of instructing visiting Americans to dress up for business meetings in the merchant bank where she worked.)

I think it all comes back that there is a time and a place....we saw so many distressed jeans in Europe recently but in my mind dinner time on a cruise is not the place.

I did not suggest (and i do not think that most other Oceania cruisers would) that "distressed" jeans were the appropriate dress for dinner on a cruise. Although some on this thread think all jeans are abhorrent for dining, the dress code does allow it , so, hopefully you will be able to survive if you spy someone in dress jeans at dinner. Personally, i believe that dress jeans are "dressier" than dockers...perhaps not as preppy,but IMO dressier.

Well, I just left a Crystal Cruise and someone wore Jeans in the Main Dining Room. What has this world come to? Even more embarrassing is that it was a friend of ours. And not one said a word. The ship did not sink. He looked quite put together and I would not even noticed it had he not commented about it.

We live in a new world about dress up. As a Baby Boomer, it does not bother me.

Well, I just left a Crystal Cruise and someone wore Jeans in the Main Dining Room. What has this world come to? Even more embarrassing is that it was a friend of ours. And not one said a word. The ship did not sink. He looked quite put together and I would not even noticed it had he not commented about it.

We live in a new world about dress up. As a Baby Boomer, it does not bother me.

Well, Crystal isn't Oceania (or Silversea, Seabourn or Regent)!!! Crystal has always been "different" (in too many ways to detail but in ways that have kept us away from sailing on that cruise line). Fortunately, Silversea, Seabourn and Regent would not allow jeans! I am more interested in what passengers on Oceania are wearing (keeping in mind that Oceania is not a luxury cruise line).

No problem with jeans. In Italy everyone from babies up seem to wear them all the time and in a much classier way they we do here.

But we have just been on a Med cruise on HA ( am browsing this forum as thinking of a change to Oceania) and in their dress code they specifically ask people not to wear distressed jeans in the MDR. Which I think is fair enough, you need to be young and thin to look good in distressed jeans and young and thin is not seen much on HA!

But we hate the Gala nights on HA because we are usually packing for a six week holiday in all sorts of weather. We fly economy so it is a big waste of our space to carry formal type clothes. And these days all that happens on Gala nights is that people dress up. Nothing else,so it seems pointless.

I gather Oceania and Azamara are popular specifically because of the dress code. But I am also attracted because of what I read about the food and because of the small ships.

No problem with jeans. In Italy everyone from babies up seem to wear them all the time and in a much classier way they we do here.

But we have just been on a Med cruise on HA ( am browsing this forum as thinking of a change to Oceania) and in their dress code they specifically ask people not to wear distressed jeans in the MDR. Which I think is fair enough, you need to be young and thin to look good in distressed jeans and young and thin is not seen much on HA!

But we hate the Gala nights on HA because we are usually packing for a six week holiday in all sorts of weather. We fly economy so it is a big waste of our space to carry formal type clothes. And these days all that happens on Gala nights is that people dress up. Nothing else,so it seems pointless.

I gather Oceania and Azamara are popular specifically because of the dress code. But I am also attracted because of what I read about the food and because of the small ships.

It sounds like you research has led you in the right direction.

Just off Riviera in the Med and agree with dasi11 that most folks dressed smartly for dinner. I didn't see any "distressed" jeans anywhere in the GDR or specialty restaurants, but saw both men and women in smart dark jeans, navy or black, there at dinner. (BTW the jeans I saw were worn with smart shoes at dinner, not with trainers.) They looked absolutely fine in my opinion and I honestly didn't see anyone looking aghast at them either. If the jeans just look like monotone fabric, then what does it matter if the fabric is denim? I have a feeling this is better understood and accepted in Europe than the USA, as denim is worn everywhere in the top restaurants or hotels in Mediterranean resorts, yes, even at dinner.

I wore my smart jeans several times, with dressy evening tops and my husband wore his with long-sleeved shirts. We never felt in the least bit out of place doing so and no-one else made us feel it was inappropriate. The dress code allows it and, as another poster has rightly said, the sky doesn't fall in if you do, precisely because most of us seem to have a healthy perspective on such superficial things.

I did however see diners wearing outfits that I think would raise eyebrows for many on this thread, way more than wearing jeans seems to do. One family group of 7, 6 of them women from age 20 to 50s, was particularly memorable. All of the women turned up in spandex, spangly ultra-short minidresses that barely covered where they touched. The kind of thing called "clubwear" on ebay, that teenage girls buy when their parents aren't paying attention. Elaborate hair and make-up. Stripper heels. Very Kar-trash-ian. Heads turned. Some folk laughed. Actually, quite a few laughed. I saw this group twice more at dinner looking just the same, although perhaps they swapped the frocks around as "One size fits all". :D

Did it put me off my dinner or offend me in some way? Goodness no. It was briefly amusing. No more, no less. I am sure they thought they looked fabulous and had certainly put some effort into their ensembles, even if their choice was somewhat unusual on Riviera!

What was important for me was the fact that once seated, they were not in the least loud at the table, so their presence didn't affect any other person's dining - other than to raise a quick smile (or eyebrow) as they initially walked by. Loud, shouty, ill-mannered diners (whether adults or children) who impose their loudness or bad behaviour on others in the restaurant -now that IS something to take issue with and something that happened several times on our cruise. So let's not forget to judge the book by its content, not its cover. And enjoy your cruising dinners everyone, which I hope you find relaxing, happy and in well behaved company :)

Well, Crystal isn't Oceania (or Silversea, Seabourn or Regent)!!! Crystal has always been "different" (in too many ways to detail but in ways that have kept us away from sailing on that cruise line). Fortunately, Silversea, Seabourn and Regent would not allow jeans! I am more interested in what passengers on Oceania are wearing (keeping in mind that Oceania is not a luxury cruise line).

highlighting is mine (if it does not highlight (which it did not) this is what i wanted to highlight....

"Keeping in mind that Oceania is not a luxury cruise line"

Of course that is a whole other thread::rolleyes:

Edited by silkman
failure to highlight desired portion of the quoted post

Just off Riviera in the Med and agree with dasi11 that most folks dressed smartly for dinner. I didn't see any "distressed" jeans anywhere in the GDR or specialty restaurants, but saw both men and women in smart dark jeans, navy or black, there at dinner. (BTW the jeans I saw were worn with smart shoes at dinner, not with trainers.) They looked absolutely fine in my opinion and I honestly didn't see anyone looking aghast at them either. If the jeans just look like monotone fabric, then what does it matter if the fabric is denim? I have a feeling this is better understood and accepted in Europe than the USA, as denim is worn everywhere in the top restaurants or hotels in Mediterranean resorts, yes, even at dinner.

I wore my smart jeans several times, with dressy evening tops and my husband wore his with long-sleeved shirts. We never felt in the least bit out of place doing so and no-one else made us feel it was inappropriate. The dress code allows it and, as another poster has rightly said, the sky doesn't fall in if you do, precisely because most of us seem to have a healthy perspective on such superficial things.

I did however see diners wearing outfits that I think would raise eyebrows for many on this thread, way more than wearing jeans seems to do. One family group of 7, 6 of them women from age 20 to 50s, was particularly memorable. All of the women turned up in spandex, spangly ultra-short minidresses that barely covered where they touched. The kind of thing called "clubwear" on ebay, that teenage girls buy when their parents aren't paying attention. Elaborate hair and make-up. Stripper heels. Very Kar-trash-ian. Heads turned. Some folk laughed. Actually, quite a few laughed. I saw this group twice more at dinner looking just the same, although perhaps they swapped the frocks around as "One size fits all". :D

Did it put me off my dinner or offend me in some way? Goodness no. It was briefly amusing. No more, no less. I am sure they thought they looked fabulous and had certainly put some effort into their ensembles, even if their choice was somewhat unusual on Riviera!

What was important for me was the fact that once seated, they were not in the least loud at the table, so their presence didn't affect any other person's dining - other than to raise a quick smile (or eyebrow) as they initially walked by. Loud, shouty, ill-mannered diners (whether adults or children) who impose their loudness or bad behaviour on others in the restaurant -now that IS something to take issue with and something that happened several times on our cruise. So let's not forget to judge the book by its content, not its cover. And enjoy your cruising dinners everyone, which I hope you find relaxing, happy and in well behaved company :)

Totally agree! Especially re European and North American view of jeans. But even more so on behaviour. I remember being told if the folks at the next table can hear you, you are too loud. Good to remember! At the table, at the pool, in the lounge, in fact anywhere! Don't know what makes some folk speak so loud with no regard for the intrusion their conversation is on others.

They forgot to wear their hearing aid.

I suspect that you posted this in jest but there is a lot of truth to it. So many elderly (and younger) people now need hearing aids (wonder if loud music had anything to do with that) and do not want to accept it or buy a hearing aid. These people do speak loudly. However, IMO, there is a big difference between people speaking a bit loudly because of hearing issues and others that may have had too much to drink or are simply being insensitive to others around them.

This thread just goes to highlight the wonderful great big melting pot of people cultures and differences that one gets to meet on a cruise with Oceania , wonderful . All ages , all shapes and many varied types of dress .

There is still some awful dress I think , from my own personal perspective , as indeed I dare say some others would think the same of my dress ! Although I have had ladies pass very favourable comments about my tash.

This thread just goes to highlight the wonderful great big melting pot of people cultures and differences that one gets to meet on a cruise with Oceania , wonderful . All ages , all shapes and many varied types of dress .

There is still some awful dress I think , from my own personal perspective , as indeed I dare say some others would think the same of my dress ! Although I have had ladies pass very favourable comments about my tash.

Regarding your attire, Sir,

I would tend to apply (and I expect you know why)

The expression he's nattily dressed!

When we disembarked Marina in Lisbon earlier this week, my comments included the following statement "THE CASUAL DRESS CODE HAS GONE TOO FAR!"

Baggy faded jeans with white tennis shoes in Polo.....man wearing a fishing hat in Red Ginger....woman in baggy cargo pants with hiking boots in Tuscano....many, many men wearing baseball caps in GDR, Martini's, etc. Lots and lots of really sloppy attire. The females in general were far better dressed than their male counterparts.

My husband wears black jeans with a sports coat and I've been known to wear white jeans with a long tunic top but things really were out of hand on this cruise.

I think we have been on the same cruise. I agree with you, but it was special group onboard. 2 months ago and in October 2015 it was different.