San Juan Hotel Advice

tigers2425

Looking for some advice on a hotel for the night before a cruise. Something not too pricey and close to the port? If that is possible. Or other recommendations if it's not near port on transportation to the pier.

Thanks in advance.

Tigers2425

Lori

Sheraton Old San Juan is .09 miles from the port - literally right there and you could walk across the street with your luggage to the port, if you are able, to board your ship. Price is around $154 on various hotel websites for prepaid.

http://www.sheratonoldsanjuan.com

It's also a great location because you can walk from the hotel to the various restaurants in Old San Juan and have some Puerto Rican food for dinner, if you want and in the morning, you could walk to Cafecultura to eat their amazing coconut French Toast with pineapple (they have lots of other breakfasts if you want something different) and have some of the famous Puerto Rican coffee - which is very, very smooth.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

We stayed at the Sheraton Olde San Juan a few years ago.

Best part was location. Got up at 0430 and watched the ship come in.

Later on, grabbed the luggage, walked across the street and checked in.

We just stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan May 5th & 6th...great location...Just keep in mind that not all ships sail from the Old Town pier...We easily took a taxi for our RCI cruise out of the Pan American pier.

Looking for some advice on a hotel for the night before a cruise. Something not too pricey and close to the port? If that is possible. Or other recommendations if it's not near port on transportation to the pier.

Thanks in advance.

Tigers2425

Lori

I am in the same situation as you. I found Coral Princess hotel in Condado area of San Juan for less than $100. Includes a continental breakfast, pool, hot tub, close to beach and has a good rating on Trip Advisor. Since I made the booking the room cost increased by $20.

Here's a link to the San Juan port of call thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

You might also join the roll call for your cruise and ask where other members are staying.

We stayed at the Marriott Stellaris, which was a lovely hotel about midway between the airport and the port. Be sure to know which port your ship sails from.

I was also just recently at the Sheraton Old San Juan. It's a solid 3-star hotel. Great location if you want to watch the ships come in or leave (really fun to see them all lit up at night when they depart). Easy walking to anything in OSJ. The rooms are what I'll call pure basic Sheraton - well appointed, great bed, bathroom stocked with good towels and nice toiletries. Now, it all depends on what you consider "not too pricey." SOSJ is usually in the $160-250 price range, depending on day of the week, time of the year, room type, rate type (fully prepaid, nonrefundable to fully changeable/cancelable, breakfast/no breakfast…).

I tend to stay away from hotels where people describe as "clean": I've been to a few 1* hotels that were "clean", but I couldn't stomach even one night on the bed...

We just stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan May 5th & 6th...great location...Just keep in mind that not all ships sail from the Old Town pier...We easily took a taxi for our RCI cruise out of the Pan American pier.

Which RC Ship did you sail on? How far is the Pan American pier from the Sheraton? Are the taxi rides reasonable? Do they charge by the person or just per trip? We have another couple joining us so I want to be able to share the info with them as well.

Thank you for any help/advice you can give.

Tigers2425

Lori

I was also just recently at the Sheraton Old San Juan. It's a solid 3-star hotel. Great location if you want to watch the ships come in or leave (really fun to see them all lit up at night when they depart). Easy walking to anything in OSJ. The rooms are what I'll call pure basic Sheraton - well appointed, great bed, bathroom stocked with good towels and nice toiletries. Now, it all depends on what you consider "not too pricey." SOSJ is usually in the $160-250 price range, depending on day of the week, time of the year, room type, rate type (fully prepaid, nonrefundable to fully changeable/cancelable, breakfast/no breakfast…).

I tend to stay away from hotels where people describe as "clean": I've been to a few 1* hotels that were "clean", but I couldn't stomach even one night on the bed...

Thank you for the information. I tried to look at several of the hotels that were cruise critic recommended but it does not show as far out as next June as of yet. I guess I will just have to keep trying. I could see the Sherton price which was 229 with AAA discount but then they add all the fees and it was nearly 300! I just think that is pricey for one night stay? I will keep checking and keep saving in the interim :c)

Thanks again,

Tigers2425

Lori

Which RC Ship did you sail on? How far is the Pan American pier from the Sheraton? Are the taxi rides reasonable? Do they charge by the person or just per trip? We have another couple joining us so I want to be able to share the info with them as well.

Thank you for any help/advice you can give.

Tigers2425

Lori

Below is a site that will give you an idea of taxi costs. If you and the other couple share the cab to the port it will cost no more than if it was just the 2 of you. But there will be the cost of each additional piece of luggage. We found another couple at our hotel breakfast on the morning of the cruise that we shared a taxi with. Cut our taxi cost in half. The ride to the port was easy.

I have been out of both ports. The one near the Sheraton everyone has been talking about is near the port that Carnival Ships leave from. RCCL and Celebrity leave from the port across the bay. If you stay at that Sheridan you will need a taxi if going on Royal or Celebrity. In fact I feel you need a taxi to the port that RCCL and Celebrity leave from no matter where you stay. It just isn't close enough to walk with your luggage from the nearest hotel.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-taxi/

Thank you for the information. I tried to look at several of the hotels that were cruise critic recommended but it does not show as far out as next June as of yet. I guess I will just have to keep trying. I could see the Sherton price which was 229 with AAA discount but then they add all the fees and it was nearly 300! I just think that is pricey for one night stay? I will keep checking and keep saving in the interim :c)

Thanks again,

Tigers2425

Lori

Most of the hotels in San Juan charge a "resort fee". I really don't like that, but seems to be the standard practice there.

Don't worry about how far the hotel is from the pier. The cost of the taxi will only be a few $ different. Less than $10 difference. The prices are fixed not metered. Find the price and hotel you are comfortable with and choose that. The areas most of the hotels are in are Old San Juan, Condado, and Isla Verde. We have stayed in Condado and Isla Verde before and both of them were good choices.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

I am in the same situation as you. I found Coral Princess hotel in Condado area of San Juan for less than $100. Includes a continental breakfast, pool, hot tub, close to beach and has a good rating on Trip Advisor. Since I made the booking the room cost increased by $20.

I stayed here about 10 years ago, pre and post cruise. It was nice; staff was helpful, and at the time, you could walk to a nearby Walgreens, i think, that had anything you may have forgotten. Rooms are not large, but it was clean, and while not right in Old San Juan, it really wasn't all that expensive for a taxi to the pier from there, since the fares are metered and set by zones.

Enjoy!

Thanks again,

Tigers2425

Lori

It is $219 non-refundable on hotels dot com including resort fee. You might also try priceline in about a month when the June 2017 prices will appear.

If you want cheaper, maybe look at Chateau Cervantes - which is in old San Juan and runs around $153. Just a 3 minute walk to cruise ship docks 1, 2 and 3.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Hi-- first of all, the one best bits of advice so far is to find the roll call for your particular cruise and see if others are staying and where they have chosen. Additionally, depending upon which pier your ship leaves from might make only a small difference.

As others have said, taxis in San Juan charge by zone plus a fee for each piece of luggage but they are very reasonable.

We have stayed pre cruise a couple of times. One time stayed at the Marriott Stellaris which is a very nice hotel in a great area with lots of night life and many varied restaurant choices within a block or two. We have also stayed at the Hilton Condado Plaza which is a walkable distance from the Marriott (although a "healthy" walk). The Hilton Condado is also very nice but not as much very close by. [side note: depending upon your room, you can see the ships at the Pan Am pier]

A lot depends upon what you want to do that evening? If you are arriving late and might just want dinner then either of these or, stay out in the Isla Verde area which is closer to the airport but has severance hotels as well.

As far as cost, since you appear to be pretty far out, you can always book a refundable or cancelable room and change if you find something better. When we were at the Condado, we found a great Hilton Points Plus Dollars rate.

The bottom line is very simple-- do your homework, go to the San Juan Ports of Call section and keep checking hotel sites.

Besides what I listed above, I have seen mention of Holiday Inn Express, Doubletree, Renaissance (I believe part of Marriott family), Caribe Hilton and many others.

Good Luck and Enjoy Your Cruise

Jed