Questions about ID/Wildlife

We are going on Explorer of the Seas to Alaska in July. I read that you are required to take 2 forms of ID with you when you leave the ship, a photo ID and your Sign and Sail Card. We have never taken a photo ID off a ship with us before at ports only the Sign and Sail Card. Is this something new??

also I heard from people who have cruised Alaska before say that the only wildlife you will see is if you go on an excursion especially whales, bears etc. Is that a true statement?

We are going on Explorer of the Seas to Alaska in July. I read that you are required to take 2 forms of ID with you when you leave the ship, a photo ID and your Sign and Sail Card. We have never taken a photo ID off a ship with us before at ports only the Sign and Sail Card. Is this something new??

also I heard from people who have cruised Alaska before say that the only wildlife you will see is if you go on an excursion especially whales, bears etc. Is that a true statement?

Seriously? Many ports ask to see your ID along with your SeaPass card before allowing you out to the piers.

A driver's license is your best bet. Some people take their passports! :eek: (not THIS gal! :rolleyes:)

Wildlife does not tend to hang out on the piers. If you want to see animals, you need to go where they live.

BTW, when I read your thread title, I thought, "Now why would wildlife need an ID?!?!?" ;)

Just off the Radiance. We saw orcas on the inside passage from the decks. It's hit or miss, but they were good about announcing when we were approaching areas they tend to be. For humpbacks, you'll need an excursion out of Hoonah (best) or Juneau (second choice).

We saw porcupines at Mendenhall glacier in Juneau, and bears further north along with moose. Excursions are a good way to see wildlife. At Hoonah there was an add-on bears to the whale watching. Eagles are pretty much everywhere. There's one place on the way to Mendenhall glacier where you can see 100 sitting in a creek bed.

In July, if you're in Ketchikan, definitely visit the salmon ladder in town near Creek Street.

We were never been asked for anything other than our SeaPass card at any port of call on either Alaskan cruise we've taken, but I'd certainly recommend having ID with you because you could be asked for it at any time.

Best bet for encountering wildlife is definitely an excursion, but it's certainly possible you will see some without doing one.

Edited by hapster85

Wildlife is just that - WILD. They are not trained performers.

Two years ago along the inside passage we saw tons of humpback whales - just as we were cruising along. This past summer very few if any.

If whales are a must, your best bet will be a whale watching excursion - they all seem to work together and communicate with each other as to where they are.

Bears...can be more challenging. But generally you do need to go outside of the town (although you do hear locals speak of bears wandering into town from time to time).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You should ALWAYS have ID on you...ALWAYS!!! What if you fell ill while along in a strange place...how would anyone know who you are? Your seapass has no visible info on you!

Always take your DL ashore...it's the same size as your seapass...so easy!

As far as "wildlife"...it depends where you are! If you're strolling thru town, you are unlikely to see anything "wild" except fellow passengers! Research Alaska.. a guidebook is very helpful....you don't HAVE to pay for an excursion, but you do need to be where the animals are, if you want to see them!

Agree with others. Take DL with you. We only needed Sea Pass to get back on ship. Needed passport to get into Canada at Skagwsy and back into US when we returned.

We saw whales from the ship, and when close to land, saw eagles in the trees. Best bet for wildlife is an excursion.

Edited by barbeyg

I cannot believe you have NEVER taken a photo ID off the ship with you order to get back on. MANY ports do require photo ID at the first level of security before heading to the pier to get back on board.

Wildlife is at the whims of Mother Nature. I have taken wildlife tours before and seen things that were never listed as being 'commonly seen'. I have also taken tours that promise that you will see many of X animal and never saw a single one. ( I am talking to you Quokka!)

I think the OP has been on enough cruises (from the signature line) and should

not be surprised that the ship will ask you to take a photo ID, as it should also be

posted in the cruise compass as such also. Two places I can think of you would

not need a photo ID would be private ports owned by the cruise company such

as Coco Cay and Labadee, which are completely contained in their borders.

We carry passport cards, which are photo ID, and leave our book passports in

our safe.

Agree, with other poster that what happens if you get in an accident or fall ill?

No ID? Problems.

It is not the ship itself that is looking for that photo ID when

you come back from port, but each local port authority that will check it to be

sure your ID matches the sea pass card you flash. Anyone could find or steal a

sea pass card from a passenger, and then try to board the ship with it. Hopefully

the crew member is paying attention and matches sea pass photo with face?

Have you ever tried to board an airplane without your photo ID out for TSA

to match to your boarding pass??

Edited by island lady

Wow, I guess I am lucky since I never have gotten off a ship with a photo ID only sign and sail card but a lot of you brought up a very good point so with that being said, I will definitely take my ID with me. Never been to Alaska so not knowing what to expect during this vacation makes me a little uneasy, but its a cruise right, so I need to just relax and take my ID!!!!

Wow, I guess I am lucky since I never have gotten off a ship with a photo ID only sign and sail card but a lot of you brought up a very good point so with that being said, I will definitely take my ID with me. Never been to Alaska so not knowing what to expect during this vacation makes me a little uneasy, but its a cruise right, so I need to just relax and take my ID!!!!

You picked one of my favorite ships, and definitely my favorite area to cruise.

We are back on Radiance again this August out of Seward and don't have to get

off the ship in Vancouver this time. ;)

Photo ID is required when returning to ship from town in Key West. 2 security officers always boarded our tram/bus/train and checked our photo ID. I can't recall the ports but I know we had to show it to get back to ship in a number of ports on past cruises. Also, as a super senior, I might forget who I am if I don't have my ID. lol

I once forgot my ID in of all places Portland, Maine. I am an American citizen and had lots of other cards that I thought would prove my "authenticity", but I had to wait 15-20 minutes or so while they consulted the manifest to make sure I was legit. It was "my bad" so I did not complain. I never forgot again! ;)