Miami hotel HELP!

aeegee

We are at a complete lost. We have never departed on a cruise from Miami. Of course we have looked at flying into FLL and then going to Miami, but that doesn't help with my stress level/cost/time. We have finally decided, based on cost and the stress factor to book a direct flight to Miami, much to our dismay because Southwest doesn't go there. Anyway, now we're flying to Miami in March and have several options for hotels. Do we stay close to port or by the airport? We only need the hotel for the night before the cruise, which leaves on a Sunday and we assume that traffic won't be bad. We do not plan on using a hotel shuttle from airport to hotel or hotel to port. We learned our lesson in that area a long time ago. So our question is, which hotel?

We have looked at the Embassy Suites, Marriott, Hilton and Hampton Inn, all around the airport. We don't want to spend a fortune, but also see that downtown has construction issues, etc., around the Hampton there. We've kind of decided around the airport would be better. We found out that it should run around $25 via cab for that area to the port. Normally we stay as close to port as possible for ease of access, but now we're checking our thoughts for Miami.

All we want is a hotel that has a place to relax, have a cocktail and eat when we get there early evening and place to get something to eat in the morning. If there is a restaurant/store, etc. within walking distance that's great, as we like to stretch are legs after a flight.

Now that we are totally overwhelmed can someone give their insight on the hotels that I mentioned above, Embassy Suites, Airport Marriott, Hilton and Hampton Inn Airport? It seems so much easier leaving from the FLL port.

Oh, has anyone heard anything about the new Holiday Inn on 79th, opening this year?

Thanks for any insight that anyone can give and for reading my very long question. I'm getting researched out.

Edited by aeegee

Why limit yourself to be around the airport? There are times where there can be great deals around the Brickell area on the weekends.

If you give the price range you are looking for it would be helpful. See it's for March 4, 2017.

Homewood Suites Brickell is available on last minute travel for $188. Brand new hotel and a few miles from the port. Free Breakfast too.

Edited by cjskids

We are at a complete lost. We have never departed on a cruise from Miami. Of course we have looked at flying into FLL and then going to Miami, but that doesn't help with my stress level/cost/time. We have finally decided, based on cost and the stress factor to book a direct flight to Miami, much to our dismay because Southwest doesn't go there. Anyway, now we're flying to Miami in March and have several options for hotels. Do we stay close to port or by the airport? We only need the hotel for the night before the cruise, which leaves on a Sunday and we assume that traffic won't be bad. We do not plan on using a hotel shuttle from airport to hotel or hotel to port. We learned our lesson in that area a long time ago. So our question is, which hotel?

We have looked at the Embassy Suites, Marriott, Hilton and Hampton Inn, all around the airport. We don't want to spend a fortune, but also see that downtown has construction issues, etc., around the Hampton there. We've kind of decided around the airport would be better. We found out that it should run around $25 via cab for that area to the port. Normally we stay as close to port as possible for ease of access, but now we're checking our thoughts for Miami.

All we want is a hotel that has a place to relax, have a cocktail and eat when we get there early evening and place to get something to eat in the morning. If there is a restaurant/store, etc. within walking distance that's great, as we like to stretch are legs after a flight.

Now that we are totally overwhelmed can someone give their insight on the hotels that I mentioned above, Embassy Suites, Airport Marriott, Hilton and Hampton Inn Airport? It seems so much easier leaving from the FLL port.

Oh, has anyone heard anything about the new Holiday Inn on 79th, opening this year?

Thanks for any insight that anyone can give and for reading my very long question. I'm getting researched out.

DO NOT even consider the "new" Holiday Inn on 79th Street. This is in a terrible part of Miami, right off 95 and in the ghetto.

I would only consider MIA airport hotels if you are arriving late and just want dinner and a room - look at hotels in the Blue Lagoon area (Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, etc.). A local strip mall is nearby (across the street from the Hampton Inn) with a few dining options as well as grocery, drug and liquor :D stores for your last minute cruise supplies. Taxi to POM from Blue Lagoon hotels should run about $30.

Otherwise head downtown closer to POM. Mary Brickell area is nice with lots of local dining options. We've stayed at the Doubletree on Biscayne a couple of times and enjoyed it (Marriott is next door if you are chasing points) -- CVS nearby as well as dining (Bin 18 offers great tapas and an extensive wine/craft beer list :cool:).

Taxi from MIA to downtown hotels should be about $25-27+tip on the meter; another $12+ cab ride will get you to the port the next morning.

Hampton Inn/Mary Brickell Village – excellent, all around; beautiful pool area; good, free breakfast; lovely rooms. We rode the orange line from the airport to the station 1.5 blocks away ($3 per person for all day pass, very reasonable). Publix grocery store is 1 block away, where we bought Off! Insect repellent to combat mosquitoes which could be carrying zika virus. Enjoyed Cuban food at a restaurant within 3 blocks.

We used the free Coral Way trolley (get on the “Miracle Mile” marquee trolley) from the station to the Port of Miami. The station is 1.5 blocks from the hotel, a short and easy walk. We were prepared to haul our suitcase onboard; it worked just fine and was free! Once at the port, the spotty placement of sidewalks are not particularly pedestrian-friendly to navigate to the terminal where Carnival Glory was waiting, but it worked (thus saving us $25 for a taxi).

It's sad that you discounted flying into FLL if it was going to save you a lot of money. We've only flown into FLL and sailed out of Miami.

Shuttles from FLL to Miami hotels can be had for as little as $15/person (and the same price for the trip from POM to FLL). We've also done car services for about $100/trip.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Brickell this year and are already booked for next year. Great hotel with everything you would need nearby, plus transportation options within easy walking distance to take you farther afield.

Hampton Inn/Mary Brickell Village – excellent, all around; beautiful pool area; good, free breakfast; lovely rooms. We rode the orange line from the airport to the station 1.5 blocks away ($3 per person for all day pass, very reasonable). Publix grocery store is 1 block away, where we bought Off! Insect repellent to combat mosquitoes which could be carrying zika virus. Enjoyed Cuban food at a restaurant within 3 blocks.

We used the free Coral Way trolley (get on the “Miracle Mile” marquee trolley) from the station to the Port of Miami. The station is 1.5 blocks from the hotel, a short and easy walk. We were prepared to haul our suitcase onboard; it worked just fine and was free! Once at the port, the spotty placement of sidewalks are not particularly pedestrian-friendly to navigate to the terminal where Carnival Glory was waiting, but it worked (thus saving us $25 for a taxi).

For anyone looking to stay at the Hampton Inn Brickell, the taxi is not $25 from the hotel to the port. It's more like $12 to $15 each time I have done it there or near the area. And Uber can be taken there for $7 as another option.

As someone who lives here in Brickell, I will say that you were lucky that the Coral way trolley worked so well for you. We have issues here daily with the trolley, the traffic and the free metro mover. It's not always an easy or consistent way to get around. When it does work, it's great. When the system breaks down, it's not so much fun.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and the area.

Hi Aeegee. I have both the Hampton Inn At Brickell and the Hilton Garden Inn West at the airport booked. I'm an HHonors customer but pay for my stays. I need parking (for the 2 weeks we will be away also). Love the hotel at Brickell as the People Mover is less than a block away (free) and our rate had included breakfast which was great & 2 Happy Hour Drink tickets. The Hilton Garden Inn Cruise Stay & Park package included my 15 nights parking (a $280 value if I used the Port parking), buffet breakfast and shuttle to the port (normally $12pp). For just about what the Hampton wanted just for the overnight = $243. We probably will take a taxi back to pickup the car after the cruise. Downtown Miami is not cheap. You could bid on Hotwire or Priceline, but you never know what you might get. Also, FLL shuttle to Miami downtown hotels is only $15pp each way.

Hampton Inn Brickell hits all your needs and includes brkfst. Join the hhonors club as there's a sale going on now too.

We stayed here last August when we sailed out of Miami. It was wonderful. We took a short UBER ride to the port and were all set. It is right on the route of the free Trolley and Metro Mover. We got to tour all over the city. We debated about the Intercontinental to be a little closer to Port but were thrilled with our decision.

Hope this helps!

Bev, thanks for popping on with some good info. So funny to see your name as I was running down the page.:)

Goodness, thank you all for such good information. We've had such good luck with Embassy Suites and considered the one by the airport. Now not so sure.

It seemed that every time I looked at a hotel in the downtown area it was almost the same amount of time via taxi as it was from the airport hotels and yet downtown seems closer to port. Is there a reason for this? Side roads, more traffic on smaller streets?

Thank you all again. Much appreciated.

Miami Airport Marriott is ideal for what you are looking for. There are actually 3 Marriott Brands on site, A Marriott, a courtyard and a residence inn.

They offer a very reliable free airport shuttle running about every 1/2 hour.

The Marriott has a very lively lobby bar with great drinks. There is also a full service restaurant called the cane fire grille. They also serve a very decent breakfast from a buffet or menu.

The Courtyard has a very nice sports bar if that is what you prefer.

You can stay at any one of the hotels and use the services of the three and sign to your room.

The Marriott usually offers a cruise package that includes room, breakfast and transport to the port of Miami. Or if you decide to do it on your own there are always taxi's waiting outside.

The Marriott also has a new M lounge which is really nice. Dont worry about the area people talk about, This location is perfect for a one night. I stay here several times a year just for the easy convenience of getting to and from the airport.

Bev, thanks for popping on with some good info. So funny to see your name as I was running down the page.:)

Goodness, thank you all for such good information. We've had such good luck with Embassy Suites and considered the one by the airport. Now not so sure.

It seemed that every time I looked at a hotel in the downtown area it was almost the same amount of time via taxi as it was from the airport hotels and yet downtown seems closer to port. Is there a reason for this? Side roads, more traffic on smaller streets?

Thank you all again. Much appreciated.

We too love Embassy but Tim (Lawdoge) referenced the one at MIA as not up to the Embassy Hilton standards as compared to FLL 17th Street. This is why our little group is not staying there. Right now 2 out of 5 are at the Doubletree Airport but they are flying into MIA. Downtown Miami hotels don't usually have shuttles, so thus the extra taxi fare. Hampton Inn Brickell does have one to the port only, but I don't know the per person price, as I mentioned ours was a package deal. Email me for a discount code.

Miami Airport Marriott is ideal for what you are looking for. There are actually 3 Marriott Brands on site, A Marriott, a courtyard and a residence inn.

They offer a very reliable free airport shuttle running about every 1/2 hour.

The Marriott has a very lively lobby bar with great drinks. There is also a full service restaurant called the cane fire grille. They also serve a very decent breakfast from a buffet or menu.

The Courtyard has a very nice sports bar if that is what you prefer.

You can stay at any one of the hotels and use the services of the three and sign to your room.

The Marriott usually offers a cruise package that includes room, breakfast and transport to the port of Miami. Or if you decide to do it on your own there are always taxi's waiting outside.

The Marriott also has a new M lounge which is really nice. Dont worry about the area people talk about, This location is perfect for a one night. I stay here several times a year just for the easy convenience of getting to and from the airport.

I mention this location also. We have not been disappointed with the Residence Inn. It is in a gated area. Staying again this fall.

Hey everyone, I am new hear on cruise critic and joining this convo a bit late. I am traveling to Miami for a wedding cruise. I am bringing 50 people with me, most have NEVER traveled. Never been on a plane on in a cab. We are all from a very small Vermont town. Lol anyways, can someone help me find a Miami hotel that offers an airport shuttle as well as a shuttle to port the next day? We are all on a budget and I would like to keep more of us together if possible (not send three out in a cab for their first time in Miami all alone)

Maybe the best route is a super shuttle? I'm not sure.. Also, someone above mentioned that you can get from FLL airport to Miami for about $15 PP? How do I do that?! Flights are much cheaper into FLL. But I think I would still prefer to stay in Miami and be ready to board first thing!

Thank you in advance!!!

Welcome to the boards! :)

If you choose to fly into FLL I would stay there and then shuttle to POM the next day. http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info. You can arrange for group shuttles - you might save off the typical $15 per person rate - by checking with SAS, QLS, MJS and Go Airport.

You could also make things even easier if you flew into FLL and chose a cruise leaving from Port Everglades. ;)

If you choose to fly into Miami I would focus on either the Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites in the Mary Brickell area -- lots of local dining and shopping options. Check with American or Super Shuttle for transport to the hotel; check with the hotel for options to get your group to POM -- for 50+ bags that is a lot of taxis. :eek:

Hahah that you so much for the reply! I'm not sure what those abbreviations stand for LOL but I think I get the idea of your post and I will check those areas out! Thank you again!!

This should help out on some of the abbreviations you will see on this board:

POM = Port of Miami

MIA = Miami Airport

PE = Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale Port)

FLL = Fort Lauderdale Airport

PBI = West Palm Beach Airport

Welcome to the boards! :)

If you choose to fly into FLL I would stay there and then shuttle to POM the next day. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info. You can arrange for group shuttles - you might save off the typical $15 per person rate - by checking with SAS, QLS, MJS and Go Airport.

You could also make things even easier if you flew into FLL and chose a cruise leaving from Port Everglades. ;)

If you choose to fly into Miami I would focus on either the Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites in the Mary Brickell area -- lots of local dining and shopping options. Check with American or Super Shuttle for transport to the hotel; check with the hotel for options to get your group to POM -- for 50+ bags that is a lot of taxis. :eek:

Jahjah4Ds - as usual John is giving you excellent advice. Since price is an issue, stay in Fort Lauderdale. With 50 people you should be able to get a number of free rooms - make sure you call the hotels you're interested in directly and talk to the sales manager.

Are all the guests arriving on the same flight? If so you will probably not be able to count on taking a hotel shuttle (many hotels only have one shuttle bus running on a loop; some of your guests would be waiting for ages to get on) so you might need to arrange other transportation to the hotel for them. The hotel sales manager may be able to make suggestions.

In addition to getting quotes for a number of shuttles to Port of Miami (and to the hotel if you are all on the same flight), you might want to look at Larry's Limo (highly recommended on this board) - they have a 57 passenger bus. That might work out cheaper per capita than any mode of transportation (I have no idea but it would be worth checking).

One other question for you - when are you traveling? Lodging prices will vary enormously between low (summer) and high (winter) season. Many hotels will double (or more) their prices in the high season.

I wish you well - that's a lot of planning (maybe you have a travel agent that can assist?). We live outside of Fort Lauderdale and our son and fiance (who live in Virginia) have chosen to get married in South Beach (Miami) this fall and many of their guests are flying in for the wedding from all over the country so I can commiserate! Luckily I'm on the periphery of all the planning because the bride-to-be is a corporate event planner and thrives on all this. I'm just doing what I'm told to do!

Edited by capriccio

Wow thank you for all that advice! It is very helpful and comforting to know someone is there to help! We are traveling to Miami Jan 28th, and people will be coming from all over the country for us as well. Part of my group will be traveling on the same flight as me so we will probably need to get at least 20 people to the hotel at once. I did just come across one place that offers an airport shuttle as well as a port shuttle. It is called comfort suites Miami airport north. Anything you have heard of? It doesn't seem to bad but what do I know?! I should probably be more concerned about what the weather will be doing in VERMONT while we are all trying to fly out! LOL

Thank you again in advance

Wow thank you for all that advice! It is very helpful and comforting to know someone is there to help! We are traveling to Miami Jan 28th, and people will be coming from all over the country for us as well. Part of my group will be traveling on the same flight as me so we will probably need to get at least 20 people to the hotel at once. I did just come across one place that offers an airport shuttle as well as a port shuttle. It is called comfort suites Miami airport north. Anything you have heard of? It doesn't seem to bad but what do I know?! I should probably be more concerned about what the weather will be doing in VERMONT while we are all trying to fly out! LOL

Thank you again in advance

I have no knowledge of Comfort Suites Miami Airport North but I'm sure someone will chime in. You can also research comments about it on this site. Just click on the Search This Forum button on the top right of this page (below the page numbers) and type in Comfort Suites Miami Airport North and click on Go.

Twenty people at one time (plus anyone else going to the same hotel who arrived around the same time) may overwhelm a shuttle - make sure you discuss this with the hotels you are considering.

Almost all the regulars on this board recommend flying out the day before especially in the winter so you're doing the right thing.